SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Looking4peace: My difficult journey getting off Effexor XR

Looking4peace

I had been on Effexor XR for fifteen years before making the decision to get off this terrible drug.

My concern is that I waited too long. I was tired of the feelings if I missed a dose, the sexual side effects and the general lack of emotions. Had I know how difficult and painful this journey was going to be I would have stayed on the poison just to avoid all of the difficulty.

In the beginning of coming off the drug I had all the symptoms others have described. The crying, the brain zaps, the panic attacks at night all were just the tip of the iceberg with coming off. I unfortunately came off too fast. I did the standard weaning described by my doctor from 150, 75 to 37.5.  What I should have done was to open the capsules and count the beads. I also should have lengthened the time between each drop in dose. I would say after 3 months in I had it beat, I felt litter but that was short lived.

I then began my journey of trying to find other alternatives. I tried Accupunture, Counseling, LDA therapy, NAC, Inositol, heavy doses of vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, omega fish oil, restore, brain octane......

I then , after 9 months off Effexor, decided to try Prozac in order to cope with life.

Everything has become insurmountable and my thoughts are all negative. I have never been so pessimist as I am right now. Now only to I judge myself against all others, I internally do the same with my children and their accomplishments. Nothing is ever good enough.

I feel perhaps that Effexor has damaged me somehow. My once optimistic trial and error ways have turned to a pessimistic future.

My next journey is to try CBD in the hopes that I can return to some normal aspect off life.

I welcome all comments, ideas, stories or pep talks to get me through!

Edited by ChessieCat
added paragraphs

2001-Started Effexor XR (15 Years on Drug) April 1, 2016- 150 mg Effexor XR discontinued 

Started with 150 Mg-Dropped to 75 Mg after 3 weeks I then dropped to 37.5 Mg,4 weeks later I dropped off the medicine entirely.

Did not find out about weaning until too late. (This was the protocol from my general practitioner)

Symptoms of withdrawal are so severe I tried to reinstate Prozac, 9 months after discontinuing Effexor XR

February 15th, 2017-Started Prozac 10mg 

February 22, 2017 -upped to 20mg one week later (no relief)  Symptoms of Serotonin Syndrome - (OCD, Anxiety, Depression)

March 1st, 2017-Discontinued Prozac (Psychiatrist wanted to increase dose to 40 mg)

Currently on no medications / Currently dealing with Major Windows and Waves

Supplements: Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil, EM-1 probiotic, Restore teaspoon 3x daily,

Will begin to eliminate the following supplements 7/7/2017

vitamin D 10,000 mg, NAC 600 mg, Zinc 50 mg, Inositol 600mg x 4, B-12, Vitamin C 500 mg, GABA 500 mg, Ashwagandha

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Looking4Peace and welcome to SA,

You have come to the right place for support and information.

Are you still taking Prozac?

It will be helpful if you would Create Your Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

Once we have additional information we will be better able to offer suggestions.

SA recommends a taper of no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adjust to not getting as much of the drug.  Please check out the following links:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your Intro/Update topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, Looking.

Have you been taking Prozac for about 2 weeks? What effect has it had on you?

What was your symptom pattern before the Prozac?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'am a 47 year old male.

Six months after stopping Effexor, approx. October 2016, my symptoms of anxiety and depression increased. Weeping increased with simple thought triggers. OCD, which I have never had at any point in life, came on and has not stopped. I worry about EVERYTHING! From simple problems to serious problems. I overreact to both the same. Extreme panic, tightness in chest, nervous stomach. I think of every situation from every angle and try to "solve" everything or be "prepared" for every possibility. Which of course only creates more stress and anxiety.

No therapy was working. I found a psychiatrist that is not a pill pusher, but felt I was so bad, I needed to have something to bring me back to a base line.

I started with 10 mg of Prozac for one week. Anxiety did not go away and quite possibly raised the levels. I then went to 20mg and have been on that for another week with no improving symptoms. I have been told that I would not see any full benefit until week 4. I'm truly driving myself and my family "crazy"

Tomorrow I start CBD oil

2001-Started Effexor XR (15 Years on Drug) April 1, 2016- 150 mg Effexor XR discontinued 

Started with 150 Mg-Dropped to 75 Mg after 3 weeks I then dropped to 37.5 Mg,4 weeks later I dropped off the medicine entirely.

Did not find out about weaning until too late. (This was the protocol from my general practitioner)

Symptoms of withdrawal are so severe I tried to reinstate Prozac, 9 months after discontinuing Effexor XR

February 22, 2017 -upped to 20mg one week later (no relief)  Symptoms of Serotonin Syndrome - (OCD, Anxiety, Depression)

March 1st, 2017-Discontinued Prozac (Psychiatrist wanted to increase dose to 40 mg)

Supplements: Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil, EM-1 probiotic, Restore teaspoon 3x daily,

vitamin D 10,000 mg, NAC 600 mg, Zinc 50 mg, Inositol 600mg x 4, B-12, Vitamin C 500 mg, GABA 500 mg, Ashwagandha

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi L4peace -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Please don't add another neuro-active substance to your sensitized CNS (central nervous system). If you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms, your CNS is sensitized/destabilized. CBD oil helps some people but also brings on terrible reactions for others.  Looking to medication -- natural or pharma -- to treat withdrawal is often disappointing. The safest thing to do is to find non-drug techniques to cope with your anxiety.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

The Dr. Claire Weekes Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

The last two links that ChessieCat posted above are good explanations of why adding another substance doesn't work some of the time.

Quick (I hope) request: Would you add the date you started at 10 mg Prozac and the date you increased to 20 mg to your signature? This will help us answer your questions more quickly because we won't have to re-read everything you've posted.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for your replies.

I have NOT taken the CBD oil, was unaware of the drug interaction.

I just so hate how I feel and the "person" I have become. I feel this putting such a strain on my wife and my kids. They have been amazing and very supportive. I just feel everything slipping away and my symptoms getting worse.

Do I go back on Effexor? I HATED how the side effects made me feel if I missed or was late on a dose. I just can't imagine living like this. Everything gives me anxiety, I can't make simple decisions, I have tightness in my chest daily.

I try and try meditation, but can't get out of my own head!

I realize the medication has not had time to get into my system, any suggestions to help give me some mental relief?

The links above have been very interesting to read.

Is this BRAIN DAMAGE from EFFEXOR real?

Can I recover? Can I Survive?

Hi L4P, welcome

Your drug sig says april 2017 do you mean feb17.

9 months off is early days in the recovery process

It is heartbreaking to read you were 9(?) months drug free then saw a non pill pusher and yet are now on 30mg prozac (equiv dose of effexor is 112mg intending to go to 40mg in a week which puts you right back to the equiv of 150mg effexor).

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Six months after stopping Effexor, approx. October 2016, my symptoms of anxiety and depression increased.

Weeping increased with simple thought triggers.

OCD, which I have never had at any point in life, came on and has not stopped.

I worry about EVERYTHING! From simple problems to serious problems.

I overreact to both the same. Extreme panic, tightness in chest, nervous stomach.

I think of every situation from every angle and try to "solve" everything or be "prepared" for every possibility.

Which of course only creates more stress and anxiety.

No therapy was working.

You are describing classic withdrawal symptoms and therapy is no match for it.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Will Prozac help AT ALL with my withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, 9 months out?

If not, should I begin to wean off of the Prozac as well now?

This is so terrible. I went to a psychiatrist rather than my primary care thinking they would be more knowledgable about these drugs.

Boy was I wrong!

• Moderator Emeritus

You've now been on Prozac for about 3 1/2 weeks.

What symptoms have improved?  Has anything worsened?  Have you been keeping notes on paper?

The longer you are on Prozac the slower you will need to taper it.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

What symptoms have improved?  Still feel terrible, perhaps the OCD is a little less, but depression and anxiety have not

Has anything worsened?   no

Have you been keeping notes on paper? not consistently. I feel each day is the same with little progress

The longer you are on Prozac the slower you will need to taper it.   I now realize the predicament I have put myself in. I'am in such a bad place I was willing to try anything. I now want to get off the Prozac ASAP. I have the capsules so I will need to try and break up the powder to lower doses.

What schedule should I utilize based on currently taking 20mg

Being just 3 1/2 weeks can I do a 20 mg/ 15mg / 10mg / 5 mg taper?

Thank you so much everyone!!

• Moderator Emeritus

You could certainly try going down to 15mg.  Keep daily notes on paper.  Keep Notes on Paper & Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress 

"I have the capsules so I will need to try and break up the powder to lower doses."

There is information here Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Hi looking4peace. The Effexor stories always stand out to me because that was where my troubles began. I just want to say that this horrid anxiety is not permanent, it might linger for awhile, and come and go in waves for some time, but eventually it will stop. Ive been there. I was told to come off 262.5mg in only 3 months, I nearly went insane. I have children too and it was awful trying to act normal and still be there for my family when the daily sense of terror was untouchable and so so scary. While \I didnt have a drug free period in between the next drug attempt like you did, I did try Celexa, Cipralex (lexapro) and finally Paxil, all within a few weeks of each other and it made things even worse. By then I was scared to stop the Paxil and stayed on it for about 4 months hoping it would stop the madness but it didnt, so i chose to taper it very slowly since my CNS was in chaos already. It worked. I'm off the Paxil and all meds completely now and that hideous anxiety is GONE. I have lingering healing to do, but trust me its a walk in the park compared to where you are. I dont know how slow you should go to get off the Prozac at this point, but I dont think you need to go as slow as I did after only 3.5 weeks. I just wanted to say you|"ll be ok and this isnt brain damage. I never thought I could feel normal again, but I did. The original withdrawal scenario you are in right now is going to take awhile to recover, Im guessing the sooner you get off prozac the better. Good luck and glad you came to this site|!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

I'am a 47 year old male.

Six months after stopping Effexor, approx. October 2016, my symptoms of anxiety and depression increased. Weeping increased with simple thought triggers. OCD, which I have never had at any point in life, came on and has not stopped. I worry about EVERYTHING! From simple problems to serious problems. I overreact to both the same. Extreme panic, tightness in chest, nervous stomach. I think of every situation from every angle and try to "solve" everything or be "prepared" for every possibility. Which of course only creates more stress and anxiety.

No therapy was working. I found a psychiatrist that is not a pill pusher, but felt I was so bad, I needed to have something to bring me back to a base line.

I started with 10 mg of Prozac for one week. Anxiety did not go away and quite possibly raised the levels. I then went to 20mg and have been on that for another week with no improving symptoms. I have been told that I would not see any full benefit until week 4. I'm truly driving myself and my family "crazy"

Tomorrow I start CBD oil

Hi looking4peace .

I am so dam angry for u ,that this has happened .

As I write this I also feel I'm going insane with a lot of the same symptoms as u describe .It is truly horrendous what has happened to us.

Only yesterday I brought up the issue of me and my partner separating  because of the terrible guilt I feel from the situation I am in,thankfully  she said no .

my outlet is exercise and some days it takes 20 minutes to get past the crippling tiredness before I can get into a jog .

some days I cant look at people in public ,I stick the earphones in and shades on and I'm away.

I'm doing a lot of research on past trauma resurfacing in my life at the moment and trying to control the horrible self critic   that has controlled and bullied me all my life .

please find an outlet for yourself to ease this terrible pain and suffering ,my exercise does this for me ,if even just for an hour .

I was also a big binge drinker ,I'm 2 years sober and dare I say I'm proud of myself for this .

Theres me thinking at the time when I gave drink up ile b all good  :unsure: .

How wrong was I, since this has hit me the last 18 months or so ,especially the last 3 months .

theres no evidence it causes brain damage so I like to believe it doesn't ,it just feels better to me that way .

I am suffering some serious emotional pain in my chest and I almost tremble with it ,the drug obviously doesn't work for me anymore [in the way it blocks feelings not fixes a so called brain disease].

.my advice is to take your time networking through this site ,its brilliant.

last year I started to struggle with anger and i was getting myself in self destructive situations ,I came to the site and it was the first time I read about NUERO EMOTIONS  and this was amazing ,so now I try not to listen to the first though that comes into my head and let it control me.

I am also on Effexor [venlafaxine] 37.5 so my symptoms are horrendous and I'm not even off the dam drug.

from reading stories about Effexor ,it seems to be a particularly nasty drug.

I like to think and i believe  we are going to be so strong  once we get through this torture .

I found your bit about comparing yourself to others very sad and upsetting ,ive done this most my life ,but lately it has gotten extremely bad because I'm so handicapped with withdrawal ,I practise mindfulness and it is brilliant at catching my thinking and stopping  it before it gets bad .I stopped myself ruminating about comparing this morning and helped me .

please believe we can get past this testing time in our lives .

Take care and all the best.  

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 2 weeks later...

I read above someone converting an amount of prozac to its equivalent amount of effexor??? Perhaps I am misreading that, but they are two completely different drugs and am not sure where or how those numbers are being produced. 

What about reinstating a few beads of the effexor? 

THANK YOU TO ALL!!

After being on Prozac for one month, I couldn't take it anymore. I not only think it INCREASED all my symptoms but I feel maybe I was experiencing some form of seratonin syndrome.

I have now been off Prozac for 1 week now, and yes I did a rather quick taper (almost immediate) to get off this drug. No side effects have occurred and all extreme symptoms and chest tightness have vanished. I have also boosted my visits to my acupuncturist and started some EM-1.

http://teraganix-com.shopgate.com/item/363239

Something I feel is a major contributing factor to all of this quick "recovery". I know I have a very LONG road ahead in my recovery but just getting a break is something I really needed.

I feel the connection if gut health and mental health is something that is HUGE in making all this a thing of the past.

Effexor is a very nasty drug that should not be allowed to be prescribed. It amazes me that doctors and psychiatrists are oblivious to the withdrawal struggles if this drug and many others like it.

I wish there was a lawyer who would take on these Big Pharma companies!!!

Thanks again to all

If anyone is more interested in my personal struggle, dietary supps and more, I would be happy to fill you in

• 3 weeks later...

I have been off Effexor for one year now, after 15 years of use (with a quick reinstatement of Prozac for 3 weeks that was awful- possible seratonin syndrome for sure) I was wondering does anyone else have the breaks of "peace" I have had sometimes days, sometimes weeks, but then the despair returns. Regret, comparing myself to others, sadness, anxiety, extreme OCD. All things I never had before or during Effexor use. I know we are all different and some people take YEARS to just feel better, but the breaks, as nice as they are, create there own anxiety, waiting for the hammer to fall once again.

Has anyone else experienced the ups and downs? And what was your best coping mechanism?

Got it, windows & waves

What a terrible experience

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Looking4peace. 

Well done for getting off Effexor for a start! this drug is pure hell to escape. I reduced my dose from 187.5mg per day to 150mg per day several months ago now. still getting horrid days of depression and the usual physical side effects. had about 4 days on the trot now of feeling like total ****, but still managing to get into work. Am not looking to alter dose for at least another 3-4 months. I may even have to switch drugs to attempt to come off entirely as this drug is so tough.

Been on various SSRI/SNRI's for about 25 years now. I would say that the last 10 years I have felt worse on all of them. Exercise being the best treatment for sure and improved diet. plus CBT and Acupuncture recently.

I will endeavour to put up my signature shorty - but have been on so many AD's over the years its hard to remember.

How are you feeling now please??

Good luck

Been on various SSRI's since early 1990's. Prozac, mirtazapine, citalopram, Effexor to name a few.

Cymbalta 60mg for last 5 years.

Over 20 years of medication without breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered your thread, L4P. How are you doing these days?

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

SJ,

Thank you for reaching out. I wish I could say I was reading this and that I feel great. Truth is it has been pure hell. After over a year, emotional well-being continues to elude me. Had I known of this 15 years ago, I of course would never have started the medication. But after this terrible year I wish I never came off the poison. Even with all the information I have and as much as I despise this poison and know it's ineffectiveness, I wish I was back to the person I was on the drug. Don't get me wrong, I will continue to fight and never get back on, but the damage the withdrawal has caused is like nothing I could have imagined. Problems I never had in my life are now engrained in my daily routine.

WORRY

ANXIETY

OCD

RUMINATION

FEAR OF FUTURE

SELF GUESSING

SELF LOATHING

And all that is AFTER the standard withdrawal symptoms.

On the drug I didn't cry for 15 years, I have now cried enough daily to fill an ocean.

Where are you in your journey?

P

SJ,

Thank you for reaching out. I wish I could say I was reading this and that I feel great. Truth is it has been pure hell. After over a year, emotional well-being continues to elude me. Had I known of this 15 years ago, I of course would never have started the medication. But after this terrible year I wish I never came off the poison. Even with all the information I have and as much as I despise this poison and know it's ineffectiveness, I wish I was back to the person I was on the drug. Don't get me wrong, I will continue to fight and never get back on, but the damage the withdrawal has caused is like nothing I could have imagined. Problems I never had in my life are now engrained in my daily routine.

WORRY

ANXIETY

OCD

RUMINATION

FEAR OF FUTURE

SELF GUESSING

SELF LOATHING

And all that is AFTER the standard withdrawal symptoms.

On the drug I didn't cry for 15 years, I have now cried enough daily to fill an ocean.

Where are you in your journey?

P

I too never would have started the drugs. In fact, I resisted them when my therapist suggested them. It took her 6 months to convince me. And even then, what really convinced me was the book Listening To Prozac. Every heard of it? The psychiatrist who wrote it said he was also against the use of medications, but then after seeing other doctors' patients "enjoy" the "wonders of Prozac," he changed his tune. He even went on at length to describe the new antidepressant drugs as "clean drugs" that only effect the body in good ways. Unfortunately, this was in the early days of the internet, and no contrary information was really out there. So I conceded to going on the drugs - and went down the rabbit hole into hell.

And yet, like you, there are times I wish I never stopped the meds. But as my wife reminds me, I was a horrible SOB on those drugs, and they had pretty much destroyed our marriage. I was a rage-full, sarcastic, angry, unhelpful, extremely prideful and full-of-himself/holier-than-thou person on those drugs. Off of them, despite the physical and emotional pain, I am gentle, helpful, loving, caring, and sweet person. My wife's whole family sees the difference! That is the plus-side that I hold on to. Find what you can hold on to, and try to keep that in the forefront of your heart and mind.

As for the symptoms you list being more than the "standard" withdrawal symptoms - I hate to correct you, but they are part and parcel of withdrawal. What you are experiencing is standard for most of us. Not that knowing that makes dealing with them any easier.

Oh, and crying is good. The crying we are doing is not of the "ow, I stubbed my toe" variety, which produces tears that are 98% water. The deep emotional crying that we are doing actually helps wash the stress hormones out of our bodies. A good cry is a good thing!

My journey really is no different than yours. Symptoms suck. I get morning terror. My body tremors internally and externally. I have nerve pain that is sometimes terrible, and even when it is almost bearable, it is always there. I cry, I get depressed, I get fearful and anxious. I scour these boards and the web looking for the non-existent "magic bullet." In other words, I am a typical person going through withdrawal syndrome/

We will get through this. Keep connected here on the forum. Read some success stories. Be gentle with yourself. Never overdo it physically, even when you are in a window. Rest. Pray. Give yourself permission to heal.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you doing these days, Looking?

SJ

SJ,

Thanks for checking!

Things today are OK. Rumination and worry still here, but severity is less. I WILL TAKE IT!!

I did notice a couple of FOOD things that seemed to trigger bad symptoms. Of course, just an observation, but there does seem to be a pattern.

I went out with a friend and had a couple beers, the next day the symptoms flared and continued for about 2 weeks. I have now seen this happen 2 times, so alcohol is now on the ban list.

The second was eating fish! (Also have issues with histamine intake)

I had a piece of large fish at diner and that night I had a major panic attack. I had seen this before when eating shrimp. So, for now fish is on the avoid list too.

Just some info to share, not sure if others have seen and similar issues with food?

Thanks again SJ

hope you are doing well!?

Glad you are doing better!

Yeah - alcohol is pretty much a no-go for all of us. Caffeine too.

And yes, if you get a histamine up-tick from any food, then it will make your symptoms worse. Histamine puts a general drain on the nervous system and endocrine system. In fact - I learned here on SA - that antidepressant drugs found their roots in antihistamines.

My food triggers are bad crabs like white pasta and desserts. And yes, I sometimes ignore my self-warnings and indulge in them - and always pay for it the next day.

SJ

• 1 month later...

Hi LP -

I saw from your comment on the "Why Did You Stop Taking The Meds" thread that you are having a rough go lately 

I am so sorry you are in a wave. I have been in one for the past week, too.

Let's look at your current daily routines and see if we can find some clues and build you a toolbox for coping.

Are you still taking all of the supplements listed in your signature? That's a lot to be throwing at your nervous system. List out for me what you are taking now, what forms, and when during your day. We might want to discontinue some, taper some, and tweak some.

Also, what are your eating habits like? I know from personal experience - and I'm sure plenty of people will back me up - that food choices make a big difference in how I am feeling. Generally speaking, simple carbs like sweets, fruits, pasta, rice, and bread lead to heightened anxiety. Proteins, complex carbs from vegetables, and water are the most helpful.

What is your daily routine like? Do you try to go to sleep around the same time each night and wake up around the same time during the day?

What non-drug/non-supplement things have you tried?

With these blanks filled in, we can get a clearer picture of how to help you.

SJ

Thanks SJ,

I got off the medication because I wanted freedom from having to take a pill the rest of my life.

I was tired of sweating uncontrollably everyday!

Tired of random sexual side effects that appear out of no where!

Still taking the supplements....can't seem to see my own profile to confirm the list!!

diet has been good, I also have a histamine issue that I have gotten pretty good at figuring out triggers.

BUT!!!! This week we went to a Chinese buffet, after researching I see soy sauce and MSG could be triggers as well, so that may be causing some issues.

once I can get to a regular computer I will try and confirm supplements and doses

5 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

BUT!!!! This week we went to a Chinese buffet, after researching I see soy sauce and MSG could be triggers as well, so that may be causing some issues.

That would do it! A lot of people in recovery get anxiety spikes after eating Chinese Food.

6 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

Still taking the supplements....can't seem to see my own profile to confirm the list!!

From your signature:

Supplements: Magnesium, Cod Liver Oil, Restore teaspoon 3x daily, vitamin D 10,000 mg, EM-1 probiotic, NAC 600 mg, Zinc 50 mg, Inositol 600mg x 4, Benfotiamine (B-1) 150 mg 4x a day, B-12, Vitamin C 500 mg, GABA 500 mg, DHEA 10 mg

I must say - that is some list! Did you start all of those just because of withdrawal? Taking so many sups could be stressing your nervous system. I would suggest doing some searching here on the forums about some of these. You could be getting some rebound effects.

Generally speaking, the accepted sups during recovery are magnesium and fish oil.

SJ

I will update my supplement list this evening.

What is your daily routine like?

i go to bed at the same time each night around 10 PM

i have trouble sleeping passed 4 without waking each day with worry and rumination

i get up at 6:30 each morning to go to work. I still go to work each day.

acupucture- helped to relax in the beginning but after multiple sessions, I have felt no relief

counseling. I continue to go, hoping something will eventually click

try to do CBT, but can't quite get to the point of consistency and allow myself to beat it down

Prayer

have been really withdraw socially. I find it difficult to listen to conversations and not compare myself to others accomplishments. I even compare the accomplishments of their kids against mine. I have two college graduate art students still trying to find steady jobs. That is just for reference, no comments necessary.

the self doubt and "bad" passed decisions is crippling me.

22 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

i go to bed at the same time each night around 10 PM

i have trouble sleeping passed 4 without waking each day with worry and rumination

6 hours is actually pretty good in recovery!

22 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

I still go to work each day.

This makes you a rock star here!

23 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

acupucture- helped to relax in the beginning but after multiple sessions, I have felt no relief

counseling. I continue to go, hoping something will eventually click

try to do CBT, but can't quite get to the point of consistency and allow myself to beat it down

Some people have success with these things. Try adding deep, slow, mindful breathing - belly breathing, not gasping into your chest.

24 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

Prayer

My #1 tool! I also combine it with a daily walk - slow and steady - about 20-minutes.

24 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

have been really withdraw socially.

This actually works against you. The limbic system - where much of the chemical reactions to emotions emanate - can only be healed by replacing bad thinking with good thinking. And that only happens by forming new positive memories.

26 minutes ago, Looking4peace said:

I find it difficult to listen to conversations and not compare myself to others accomplishments.

Oh boy, do I hear you on this! I am a notorious compare-er and often judge myself as falling short. But again, this plays into the hands of our damaged limbic system. You need to replace those thoughts, and only good experiences can do that.

Here's a good article on the limbic system and healing your emotions: https://www.thebestbrainpossible.com/how-to-help-depression-by-healing-your-limbic-system/

You have some good tools there. Add the breathing, and get out and do things despite the anxiety, ruminations, and fears.

I am beginning to think that your supplement routine is working against you. I used to take a lot of sups, even before withdrawal. And when withdrawal hit, I added sups, up-dosed, and looked for magic bullets. things got worse. I stopped all of the sups and let my body clean out for 2 weeks. Then I started adding things back in - one thing at a time, low doses, gave things a week before going up in dose a little, gave it more time, added something new, went slow, and so on.

You are going to heal. You are going to recover. Stay strong in God.

SJ

• 1 month later...

17 months off Effexor and life has never been harder.

difficuly sleeping has only compounded the unbearable fear & worry about everything. If there is even a small "problem" I will immediately go to worse case scenario. That is in regards to ANY topic. Has anyone else experienced a heightened level of worry, fear & dread. At what point in withdrawal does it go away? I have tried so many alternative ways to handle these thoughts, but they are like a sledgehammer crushing anything that tries to break the pattern. As soon as I wake up every morning, the checklist of worry begins and the knot in my chest and stomach starts to form it's tight pressure mass. I know reinstatement is a "crap shoot" this far out, do I risk it? Will this go away? What can I try next?

any guidance, support or answers welcome!

I have this and I'm over 2 yrs off. The second you wake up you can't find a good thought, sometimes for the whole day and it is so distressing you feel you need to go to the hospital because your brain is really broken.  I also have internal akathisia which is relentless so I'm fighting my brain and nervous system at the same time as well as the death of my little girl.  Some days I do better, but after I had carbocaine on the 7th some really scary things have happened to my cns and brain and I've gotten worse. I'm hoping it's just a bad wave and not the carbocaine.  I pray things get easier for you soon.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

I did a way too fast taper off Effexor last April.  So I guess that puts me in the about the same time frame as the OP.  

I keep waiting for things to get better.  I've also had the intense fear and constant anxiety.  It seemed to get better for a while this summer, but now, after an increase in physical symptoms, the fear is back.  Today is one of those days when I'm fearing for my sanity...nothing makes sense and nothing is tolerable.  

I don't have any answers.  I wish I did.  I keep telling myself that it got better for a while and it will again.  

KT38's post scared me, because I am scheduled for dental work next month and am so afraid that the novocaine needed for the procedure will make everything worse. 

Between 1988 and 2003 was on many different meds including Tricyclics, MAOIs, SSRIs, SSNRIs, and mood stabilizers, some helped but not for long.

2003 went off MAOIs and started taking Effexor XR at 450 mg.  

2012 added buspar to augment the Effexor (cannot recall exact dose) stayed on a few months with little effect.

2013 added Ritalin to augment the Effexor, no noticeable benefits so dropped that too.

2014 lowered dose of Effexor to 300mg and started adding Viibrid with negative effects so dropped Viibrid and went back to 450 of Effexor XR.

2015 added 2 mg Abilify to augment the Effexor, slight benefit at first but no lasting effects.

March 2016 tapered off Abilify in about 2 weeks.

April 2016 began to taper off Effexor XR, from 450 to 0 in about 8 weeks total. Somewhere around 37.5 had a serotonin syndrome episode and had to raise dose again for about a week until I started dropping again.  Now i know the entire taper was way too fast.  

May 2016 started taking Lexapro, increased from 5 mg to 10 mg within 10 days.

Tapered off Lexapro starting in September of 2016, dropping at various rates...quicker drops at first, then slowing down to .5 mg drops every 3 weeks or so.  Took last dose on 2/8/17.

KT38, emmabee 

thank you for your replies.

It is so scary how this has all destroyed my life. I too have some dental work coming up and never even thought about the Novocain. Not to mention all the scary studies, that dental work could be a root cause for all of this (Mercury, Root Canal Cavitation)

I feel like I need to hold on, the end of the tunnel is coming, but with it all getting worse each day, it all feels so hopeless. It has been a while now since I had ANY positive day or window. 

I wish there was a magic reset button.

Please feel free to contact me and update me with any positive updates

Pray and look to God. He will help you and give you the peace you need

Lexapro 20 mg /started March 2012 discontinued Jan. 2017/ tapered 10 mg for 3 days then stopped cold turkey.               ------  started invega sustenna March 2012 156 mg every  4 weeks