SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Let's Talk Withdrawal, a new weekly podcast on antidepressants

JamesMoore

Hi there Distraut, thanks for the feedback, Luke is on the list but thank you so much for the suggestion, it's always good to get recommendations from people here. Hope you're doing ok.

March 2012 - Prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg for anxiety and phobias

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMoore

• powerback

• apace41

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what health this former psychiatrist is in but I have heard him criticize the language of mental health in a vimeo video too in 2014. He rejected an OBE from the queen due to the over-representation of psych killing black people. But I do not know his experiences regarding antidepressants per se. That's all I know of him. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/may/17/mentalhealth.socialcare

Are you able to scramble voices at all? there may be some more PSSD people willing.

The vimeo video I saw of above ex psychiatrist criticizing 'mental health' language/system: Dr Suman Fernando   https://vimeo.com/66263870

I don't know but may be worth checking out.

Cocktail drugged since 9

Genitals went numb

Extreme intestinal gas and pain

Extreme anxiety cant concentrate

All permanent

Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction (PSSD)

http://pssdblog.blogspot.com

• Moderator Emeritus

James,

I wanted to congratulate and thank you for all you are doing with your podcast.  I've listened to all of them and they are really very interesting and well done.  Just the fact that this is out there as a podcast is a huge thing.  How has the traffic been?  Are you getting decent traction?

I just listened to the Healy interview and it was very interesting and well done.  I must say I don't agree with all of what he says, especially the part about there being people that just can't get off the drugs.  Also, at some point in the interview I think I heard him say he wasn't clear on whether tapering or c/t was a better approach to getting off.  Based on years of Alto's experience, which covers a lot more people than Healy or anyone for that matter, I think it clear that tapering is a better/safer approach.

Keep up the good work.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi there Andy

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate you taking the time to write. It's very important to me to represent this community and to make the podcast informative both for those, like us, who have been there and more general listeners who may not know the full scale of the problem or believe the myths like the chemical imbalance nonsense. I don't necessarily agree with all of the experts either but I think the difference between us and the mainstream medical community is that we have minds that are open to different approaches while medicine says "do what we say or you'll be labelled non compliant." The next guest on the podcast is very different to the others and, of course, not everyone will agree but I want to cover a wide range of experiences and also potential help and support.

As for listeners, we are nearing a month old and we've had nearly 4000 downloads which is very good for a new podcast in a 'niche' area. What really helps is ratings and reviews on iTunes, so if anyone does feel like reviewing the podcast, I would be very grateful. Reviews help capture listeners outside the community which already has awareness of these issues and that's important too.

So, next episode is due tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'd be really interested, as always, in feedback. Glad you have been able to listen in.

Best wishes

James

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

Hi james,podcast with dr healy was great thanks.

I loved the fact he admited that people like us that are going through withdrawal end up knowing more than the doctors ever could .

With out question this is the future of health care  ,I think the prescribing of drugs needs to be  taken away from GPs .

Thanks so much ,starting the podcast is bringing so much awareness to the suffering of these disgusting medications.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi Powerback, thanks so much for the feedback, Dr. Healy was great to talk to and he was very aware that patients are so well informed now, its just such a shame that many doctors are so convinced in their own views that they often won't listen to the very person that knows what is best for them. Thanks so much to everyone who has listened in so far, there are more great interviews coming up.

I also wanted to ask anyone who is listening in on iTunes, to leave a review. Reviews are vital so the podcast gets listens outside the community of those of us who have been through this, I want people to listen before they have any contact with psychiatric drugs so they can make more informed choice about treatment. If you listen via iTunes, you can make a big different by leaving a review. Thank you so much for your support with the podcast, it means a great deal.

Here's how:

1. If you use iTunes on a PC or Mac...

- Start iTunes

- In the search box (top right) type in Let's Talk Withdrawal and press enter

- Click on the pill icon

- Click on Ratings and Reviews

- Click the Write a review button

- You will then sign in to your iTunes account (if not already signed in)

-  Enter a nickname (note that iTunes is pretty fussy about nicknames, to prevent losing your review text, copy it before you press send then you can paste it in again if you need to)

- Enter a title

- Enter your review

- Click the stars to rate the podcast (5 would be fabulous!!)

- Press the Submit button 

2. from your iPhone or iPad...

1. Launch Apple's Podcast app
2. Tap the Search tab
3. Enter the name - Let's Talk Withdrawal
4. Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right
5. Tap the the pill icon
6. Tap the Reviews tab
7. Tap Write a Review
8. Enter your iTunes password to login
9. Tap the Stars to leave a rating (5 would be lovely!!)
10. Enter a title and your review
11. Enter a nickname (note that iTunes is pretty fussy about nicknames, to prevent losing your review text, copy it before you press send then you can paste it in again if you need to)
11. Tap Send

Reviews take a few hours to show up in iTunes, it won't appear immediately.

Thank you for your help and support with this project. 1f642.png1f44d.png1f44f.png

just listened to christopher ,hes inspirational ,he gives me the hope and power to be off these drugs after a couple of  tapers have resulted in reinstatement for myself.

He talks so much sense,heart and soul that he is apart of  is the future of all health and well being not just for withdrawl sufferers like all of us .

What a nightmare childhood for him, what or who  only knows what he's mother suffered from to be so cruel .

Well done James great guest  .

Thanks .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Thanks so much for the feedback powerback, Christopher was excellent wasn't he, to have had those experiences and that trauma and suffering, no one would have blamed him for turning his back on everything but to go on and support others, what a story. Like you, I have had failed attempts at coming off, but keep trying, the time will come when the conditions are right and you will succeed, I have very confidence that you will get there. 

Got another cracking interview coming up on Monday, can't wait to share it. Really glad you are liking the podcast so far.

Thanks so much for the feedback powerback, Christopher was excellent wasn't he, to have had those experiences and that trauma and suffering, no one would have blamed him for turning his back on everything but to go on and support others, what a story. Like you, I have had failed attempts at coming off, but keep trying, the time will come when the conditions are right and you will succeed, I have very confidence that you will get there. 

Got another cracking interview coming up on Monday, can't wait to share it. Really glad you are liking the podcast so far.

Thanks for your kind words james ,its a learning process about understanding ones body in this process.i have learned to watch for symptoms and reinstate very quickly ,being stoic should only go so far .

Terry lynch had emailed me about he's podcast with u  ,I wrote that I listened and told him about this great site that we are belong to.

We will all get the peace we deserve .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi James,

Your podcast is excellent and much needed ! It’s obvious how much work you have put into it, I just wanted to thank you for everything that you are doing.

Very much looking forward to listening to all of the upcoming episodes :).

2001 (Age 12) - PROZAC 10mg for situational anxiety. Taken over a few weeks.

2005 - PROZAC 10mg. Taken over 7 months. Made me depressed and feel ill. Tapered off over 2 weeks on advice from doctor. 

April 2014- SERTRALINE 25mg. Had a severe adverse reaction within 12 hours. Only took 1 dose.

October 2014- MIRTAZAPINE 15mg

February 2015- Upped Mirtazapine to 30mg because I was feeling much worse than before I started taking it.

August 2015- Dropped Mirtazapine back to 15mg because 30mg was causing even more severe side effects.

October 2015- Mirtazapine 7.5mg. Desperate to get off and feeling awful.

December 2015- Drug free. 5 days after last Mirtazapine tablet hit by severe WD symptoms.

January 2016. Hospitalised because of WD symptoms. Given 2mg of Diazepam.

January 2016 - December 2016. 2mg DIAZEPAM taken as needed. Didn't really help much and never took more than 5 tablets in a month.

Still suffering from numerous symptoms.

Hi James

Just listened to your latest interview with Kevin Miller.  Very interesting!

I will be looking at his films very shortly I hope.

Thank you so much for doing so much to bring this abomination under scrutiny.

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

Hi Lyssa, that's such lovely feedback, thank you so much. Hearing that people in this community are finding the podcast interesting makes all the effort worthwhile. I'm determined to tell the stories that mainstream medicine doesn't want to hear and I hope that we can get many more listening whether they have had any contact with psychiatric medications or not. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen in. There's a new episode due on Tuesday which will be a users perspective and I have many more in the pipeline.

I noticed from your signature that you've struggled with Mirtazapine, me too, that's the one I am currently stuck on, it's a complete and utter sod isn't it. I hope now that you are off (well done by the way) you continue to improve.

Best wishes

James

Hi Distraut

Thanks so much, Kevin was great to speak to and his films are really powerful in exposing all the greed and money that are behind the suffering of so many people. It's difficult not to get very angry about it when watching but the films are great to show people who don't know much about these issues because it really helps them understand. 

Thanks so much for listening so far, more interviews in the pipeline and another due on Tuesday, from a users perspective the time.

I hope you are doing ok.

With best wishes

James

Hi James

Just to let you know, my son, Akrontes (on whose behalf I am posting) has now reduced his dose of Mirtazapine to 1.25 mg.

But he is still suffering from SEVERE OCD symptoms which are distressing him immensely still.  This is his main (perhaps only) really distressing symptom. From perusing this site today, I think this is related to his previous usage first of Paxil then four years of Sertraline, which feature very high on the list.  Fortunately Mirtazapine comes rather low down in comparison:

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

Hi Distraut, I'm so sorry to hear things are so difficult. It must be very difficult for you all to know what is an issue from prior medication and what may be related to the current withdrawal. All I know from my own experience is that change in medications makes me very anxious but that it does ease over time. Unfortunately no one can predict with any accuracy how long this settling down will take. My thoughts are with you.

Hi Lyssa, that's such lovely feedback, thank you so much. Hearing that people in this community are finding the podcast interesting makes all the effort worthwhile. I'm determined to tell the stories that mainstream medicine doesn't want to hear and I hope that we can get many more listening whether they have had any contact with psychiatric medications or not. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen in. There's a new episode due on Tuesday which will be a users perspective and I have many more in the pipeline.

I noticed from your signature that you've struggled with Mirtazapine, me too, that's the one I am currently stuck on, it's a complete and utter sod isn't it. I hope now that you are off (well done by the way) you continue to improve.

Best wishes

James

Thank you so much. Your determination to tell these stories is going to help so many people. I'm so sorry to hear that you have been struggling with Mirtazapine too (the description you use is sadly very true). I wish you all the best.

Thanks again

Lyssa

2001 (Age 12) - PROZAC 10mg for situational anxiety. Taken over a few weeks.

2005 - PROZAC 10mg. Taken over 7 months. Made me depressed and feel ill. Tapered off over 2 weeks on advice from doctor. 

April 2014- SERTRALINE 25mg. Had a severe adverse reaction within 12 hours. Only took 1 dose.

October 2014- MIRTAZAPINE 15mg

February 2015- Upped Mirtazapine to 30mg because I was feeling much worse than before I started taking it.

August 2015- Dropped Mirtazapine back to 15mg because 30mg was causing even more severe side effects.

October 2015- Mirtazapine 7.5mg. Desperate to get off and feeling awful.

December 2015- Drug free. 5 days after last Mirtazapine tablet hit by severe WD symptoms.

January 2016. Hospitalised because of WD symptoms. Given 2mg of Diazepam.

January 2016 - December 2016. 2mg DIAZEPAM taken as needed. Didn't really help much and never took more than 5 tablets in a month.

Still suffering from numerous symptoms.

thanks James for another great guest in Kevin.

I really don't like being pessimistic but it dawned on me listening to him that I'm afraid these drugs will always be around ,there's just too much rot after getting  into  power ,its extremely depressing. with the vacuous celebrity culture and constant Facebook making everyone envious of others lives .

Todays society has made a need and want for a way out .There's no morality to the prescribing of these drugs its simply business .If I spend a minute over the 15 minutes in my doctors he's looking at the clock  and on to the next billing client [not patient].

smoking bad for us [millions do it  ],alcohol bad for us[ millions do it ].junk food bad for us [millions do it ] people and society need a serious look at its culture ,these drugs can be  added to the list of we know there bad but they mite give relief  ,ile correct that my apologies,[none of us knew what was around the corner with these drugs]

but I will never back down on these disgusting drugs ,the torture that my mind has been brought to trying to get off them is astonishing and once I finally gave up listening and believing the nonsense from doctors ,my recovery from psychiatry and the medical model of the western world could begin .

The interesting thing is ,if a toy manufacturer recalls a faulty toy everybody will listen and pay attention [rightly so] but countless people lives destroyed and gone over these drugs and no government politician will touch it .this is very interesting to be about herd mentality .

Ok rant over ;) .

change has to start somewhere and well done to u James for being a big part of it .  

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

James just thought of two more amazing people you could interview....

Yolanda Lucire in Australia and a person in America who goes by the name of Altostrata.

And actually i suggest a third amazing person why not interview Brassmonkey when he soon goes drug free after what must be nearly 6 yrs of tapering he has masterminded a great taper plan that i have no doubt is saving lives.

All these three people are pretty busy though so it may be difficult catching them. Worth a try though. No pressure.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Good for Nora on confronting her doctor ,these people literally think they know better because they went to college and studied the nonsense of the western medical model .I asked my own doctor certain questions and he didn't like it at all and this man is even more liberal than most .when I asked for my medical records ,the first thing he did was go on the defence ,I believe there ethos is damage control and protect themselves from prosecution .

This is surely not the reason they got into medicine ,it used to be  altruistic .What I know now about the medical profession has disgusted me .I wouldn't even recommend anyone become one.

If a profession is so guarded and not open to criticism that should make u want to run a mile.

Countless  rogue trader programmes on TV but we see little of it to do with these professions.  This has to change drastically.

Its more of a class thing and power, we have to take this back away from them.

I am extremely angry this has happened to me ,because I trusted a doctor and listened to there rhetoric. [in touch with doctors since childhood].I'm slowly forgiving myself ,because I've always been in there grasp

But I have to stress that never under any circumstances do I think anyone should ever loose focus ,at the end of the day these people are human beings with feelings and should be treated with respect on a human level. 

I mostly feel sorry for a lot of them ,that they are so clueless .and as the great peter breggin says ,its just too painful for most of them to confront the fact they personally are at fault for the suffering of others [ iatrogenic illness  ].

Is this what happens for ever ,we go around and try to  save others from going into a doctors office and have them not suffer like us ,how did it come to this .

I seen a study somewhere that said ,the western world has a worse and slower rate of recovery from mental illness than less developed countries.

Why:because big pharma cant make money in them countries 

There's way too much knowledge out there now to ignore and u can be guaranteed the powers that be are watching this change and putting the proper road blocks up for protection ,IE blame.

I must again say, I never promote anger or aggression to anyone ,everyone has to be treated with care and respect ,we all deserve peace and respect on this planet.

Thanks James for another great guest  .

Oh ye nearly forgot ,for anyone fed up and depressed about the practises that come from there out of date doctor .u got to check out DR peter breggin on YouTube .

I often see the doctor that originally put me on meds when out for my walk.my plan is to give him a copy of Robert Whitakers .an anatomy of an epidemic :D    

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

James,

I've had time to listen to a number of your podcasts and have enjoyed them very much. Thank you for all you are doing.

Your collection is a wonderful mix of lived experience from survivors, as well as interviews with psychiatrists and professors.  This gives voice to those harmed and then backing it up with professionals who are very credible whistle-blowers speaking out against an extremely corrupt industry. The full story is being told. 

I also enjoy re-playing the lived experience podcasts sometimes just for "company", as withdrawal is a very isolating journey and hearing these voices of resilience really helps. 

Again, many thanks for your work. It's very much appreciated. 

Hi all, I'm so very grateful for your feedback on the podcast, hearing that people get something from listening in really makes my day. Part of the reason that I wanted to do the podcast is because I felt lonely and isolated and that no one understood how withdrawal completely overtakes your life. To know that others find it comforting too is amazing.

@powerback - thank you, Kevin was great to talk with and his films are amazing too. I completely understand the need to rant sometimes, these drugs are given out so readily and so much money is made off the back of suffering, it's easy to get very upset and angry about it. If this website and its community and the podcast influence people to think twice before starting psychiatric drugs, it's been well worth the effort in my opinion. Nora was great too, to be, as she described 'a basket case' and still be able to go and challenge her doctor is amazing and shows the strength of people who struggle with these drugs. Thank you for listening in.

@nz11 - thank you so much for the suggestions, will definitely look into these they sound like great guests to chat with. I'm really keen to get as wide a range of views about this as I can. I think Robert Whitaker's book should be on the standard reading list for anyone going into medicine.

@ Shep - this is such lovely feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to write. I also find comfort in hearing the real stories of others who have 'been there' and it reminds me that doctors know so little about this and there's no beating lived experience. I really enjoy making the podcast, but I do get very anxious interviewing professors and doctors. Fortunately for me they have all been so nice to me but I do struggle sometimes. I'm pushing ahead though and there are lots more interviews in the pipeline both of real experiences and experts too. I really do hope you continue to listen in. Thank you so much for your support and your lovely feedback too.

My thanks to anyone listening in for taking the time to support the podcast and my thoughts, hopes and prayers are with anyone withdrawing from thier medications.

Best wishes

James

Hi all, I'm so very grateful for your feedback on the podcast, hearing that people get something from listening in really makes my day. Part of the reason that I wanted to do the podcast is because I felt lonely and isolated and that no one understood how withdrawal completely overtakes your life. To know that others find it comforting too is amazing.

@powerback - thank you, Kevin was great to talk with and his films are amazing too. I completely understand the need to rant sometimes, these drugs are given out so readily and so much money is made off the back of suffering, it's easy to get very upset and angry about it. If this website and its community and the podcast influence people to think twice before starting psychiatric drugs, it's been well worth the effort in my opinion. Nora was great too, to be, as she described 'a basket case' and still be able to go and challenge her doctor is amazing and shows the strength of people who struggle with these drugs. Thank you for listening in.

@nz11 - thank you so much for the suggestions, will definitely look into these they sound like great guests to chat with. I'm really keen to get as wide a range of views about this as I can. I think Robert Whitaker's book should be on the standard reading list for anyone going into medicine.

@ Shep - this is such lovely feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to write. I also find comfort in hearing the real stories of others who have 'been there' and it reminds me that doctors know so little about this and there's no beating lived experience. I really enjoy making the podcast, but I do get very anxious interviewing professors and doctors. Fortunately for me they have all been so nice to me but I do struggle sometimes. I'm pushing ahead though and there are lots more interviews in the pipeline both of real experiences and experts too. I really do hope you continue to listen in. Thank you so much for your support and your lovely feedback too.

My thanks to anyone listening in for taking the time to support the podcast and my thoughts, hopes and prayers are with anyone withdrawing from thier medications.

Best wishes

James

hi james ,I must say I do love my rants and my soap box haha :D ,but ile never loose focus that's the main thing .

terry lynch sent me an email recently and at the end with other helpful information was your withdrawal podcast ,so its great well done.

respect to you .  

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, James.

You come across so professionally, I couldn't tell you were struggling. 

Since you're doing so much for us, perhaps we can help you out with some non-drug coping techniques that can help with your pre-interview anxiety.  Breathing techniques can be very helpful. You may find this thread useful: 

Breathing for Mood and Well Being (Yoga and other Techniques)

My favorite is the 4-7-8 Breathing Technique which I wrote about in my post here

These types of mindful breathing techniques are so powerful, they even help with my rebound psychotic symptoms (although I prefer the term "extreme states"). 

Whenever you get anxious, just come back to your breath. It's with you wherever you go, and as Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn says, "As long as you're breathing, there's more right with you than wrong." 

Sometimes it's good to "welcome" those anxious states, as they are opportunities to practice. 

Yes, I will definitely continue to listen to your podcasts, as they are wonderful and helpful additions to the cause of helping people learn about these very dangerous drugs. 

• Moderator Emeritus

James,

Let me add on to the plaudits you are receiving.  I will tell you that I find myself looking forward each week to the next podcast and when you add additional ones in "off-cycle" I feel like I'm getting a little bonus.

One of my routines at work is to get up from my desk in the mid-morning and take a walk for about 15 minutes.  It's a good way to get a little sunshine and exercise and break the routing of sitting at the computer.  It is my practice to listen to a podcast when I take that walk and you are providing me with good material for my walks so I thank you for that.

Many people are suffering and angry, but you are channeling that into something positive and that is to be greatly applauded.

Best,

Andy 

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

@Shep - Thank you so much for your support and for your encouragement, your post on 4-7-8 breathing is excellent and it will help because, like many, once I get anxious I start shallow breathing and that makes it worse. This will really help, thank you. I love that quote by Jon Kabat-Zinn and it's something for us all to remember. You make a really good point about the language used in mental health and while doing the podcast I have become aware that I am guilty of using diagnostic/medical language because I didn't know any better. Coming up on the podcast I have an interview devoted to language and how it is used in mental health as it's something I really need to improve and I thought it would make an interesting discussion too. Thank you so much for listening and for your feedback. I really hope you don't mind but I have used a bit of your initial post for a blog that I am writing about the podcast, I haven't identified you but it was such lovely feedback that I wanted to capture it. Thanks so much and best wishes to you.

@apace41 - Thank you so much for this feedback, I too love listening to podcasts and they are great for a bit of 'time out' now and again, I'm glad to hear that they are part of having a break for you. Andy would you mind if I used some of your feedback in the podcast? I completely understand if you'd rather not but I really do appreciate you taking the time to write on here. I do feel harmed and angry about these drugs but I did also really do want to try and get the message out and there was a bit of a gap where podcasts are concerned. There are so many in this incredible community doing their bit to help and support others and I wanted to do my bit too. I'm just really pleased that people want to listen in. Thanks so much Andy. best wishes to you.

@powerback - There's nothing wrong with a bit of a rant now and again :mellow:  !!

• Moderator Emeritus

James,

Absolutely you can use it.  Feel free to use whatever you want.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

@Shep - Thank you so much for your support and for your encouragement, your post on 4-7-8 breathing is excellent and it will help because, like many, once I get anxious I start shallow breathing and that makes it worse. This will really help, thank you. I love that quote by Jon Kabat-Zinn and it's something for us all to remember. You make a really good point about the language used in mental health and while doing the podcast I have become aware that I am guilty of using diagnostic/medical language because I didn't know any better. Coming up on the podcast I have an interview devoted to language and how it is used in mental health as it's something I really need to improve and I thought it would make an interesting discussion too. Thank you so much for listening and for your feedback. I really hope you don't mind but I have used a bit of your initial post for a blog that I am writing about the podcast, I haven't identified you but it was such lovely feedback that I wanted to capture it. Thanks so much and best wishes to you.

Yes, please feel free to use it. I'm glad it was helpful. 

I look forward to your next podcast and hope you are feeling some healing in your own recovery. 

Since the 4-7-8 breathing was helpful, let me link you to some other wonderful resources we have here:

Non-drug coping techniques

I've been involved with other forums, but SA is really special because of the emphasis on finding alternative ways of handling all sorts of life struggles. Without that list of resources, I'm not sure I would have been successful at coming off so many drugs after so many years.

So there's hope and help for us all. At some point, I hope doctors will understand that technology does not always equate progress. We need to go back to when doctors were called shamans and the emphasis was on healing, not profit. 

One day, I hope this becomes a reality. Thanks again for the important role you are playing in helping this happen. 

Thanks so much to you all for your feedback, support and encouragement, I'm really pleased to have now had a blog published on Mad in America which talks about the reasons I created the podcast and which also mentions this excellent website too...

https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/04/lets-talk-withdrawal-podcast/

Thank you.

Thanks so much to you all for your feedback, support and encouragement, I'm really pleased to have now had a blog published on Mad in America which talks about the reasons I created the podcast and which also mentions this excellent website too...

https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/04/lets-talk-withdrawal-podcast/

Thank you.

This is absolutely brilliant james ,hats off to ye ,great success so early on , long may it continue .

PB

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hey there powerback, thank you so much, it's a pleasure and an honour and any success the podcast has is shared with everyone here and everyone that has struggled with these drugs.  :mellow:

Hi James,

Just wanted to echo everyone's positive feedback and personally thank you for your time and effort with the podcast. It is long overdue, and raising awareness of iatrogenic illness and the difficulties associated to withdrawal will provide comfort to so many who suffer needlessly.

Also, I want to reassure you that Mirt withdrawal when done safely and slowly is very possible. I've been slowly tapering for years and will soon be off the "utter sod" and although I've definitely endured some rough moments, I have been for the most part, highly functional.

If you ever need some of my anecdotal experience to assist you as you get to lower doses, don't hesitate to pop into my thread or send a message.

Thanks again for helping all of us,

BB

<p>Dec 2012 - Some benzo's, some AD's for PTSD induced anxiety and insomnia

August 2013 - things go south with benzo (Klonipin), tolerance withdrawal, REALLY SICK, AD's (effexor/citalopram) added for "reset"!?!?, EVEN SICKER

Dec 2013 - RESEARCH begins…located Ashton manual (first breakthrough), my A-HA moment = benzo + too fast WD of other meds caused this mess...

Jan 2014 - convinced to take Mirtazapine 15-30 mg to help with Klonipin/ temazepam/ Citalopram taper, hit with wd symptoms but powered through

Feb 2014- stopped Klonopinipin (too quick taper but was destroying CNS) -, more wd symptoms but masked by Mirtazapine

March 2014 - silly ct attempt of 30mg Mirt , HORRIBLE hwd, no sleep, lasted 1 month, found this site (second breakthrough), armed with new knowledge, began proper slow taper of Mirtazapine and doing exponentially better, roughly 10% of each dose, and some long holds!

April 2014 - reinstate 7.5 mg Mirt, (30 day hold then slow taper for rest of year, took months to stabilize)

Jan 2015 - 3 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2016 - 1.87 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2017 - 0.37 mg (slow taper continues)

Aug 27, 2017 - 0 mg (JUMPED from 0.12 mg) - DRUG FREE!

Hi Bayboy

Thanks so much for your encouragement, that means a lot and its exactly why I wanted to do the podcast, this community is so willing to accept people and help and support which is incredible. I want the podcast to try and help raise some awareness of how many are struggling with this and the range of experiences from those that struggled but got past the drugs, to those that feel their lives have been forever blighted. It's reassuring to know that there are people who have come out the other side, it's just such a shame that we all have to clutch at straws to begin with because medics don't know or don't want to know, how to support people stopping these drugs. Thank goodness for this community and for people like you. Best wishes. J

• Moderator Emeritus

James,

I've been meaning to post all week but life got in the way.  When I saw you  had lined up Whittaker I eagerly awaited the podcast and it lived up to expectations famously!  What a fabulous podcast.  You did a wonderful job probing into his thoughts on various issues and he is really a terrific speaker on the topic.  It would be my strong recommendation that everyone on this site (and anyone taking any psych med) listen to the podcast.

Kudos to you, James.  That episode moved you into a whole different sphere in my book.  It was good before but it is top notch now.  Having set the bar very high you will have to work to exceed that.

Best,

Andy

James,

I've been meaning to post all week but life got in the way.  When I saw you  had lined up Whittaker I eagerly awaited the podcast and it lived up to expectations famously!  What a fabulous podcast.  You did a wonderful job probing into his thoughts on various issues and he is really a terrific speaker on the topic.  It would be my strong recommendation that everyone on this site (and anyone taking any psych med) listen to the podcast.

Kudos to you, James.  That episode moved you into a whole different sphere in my book.  It was good before but it is top notch now.  Having set the bar very high you will have to work to exceed that.

Best,

Andy

ile second that apace ,I listened to that podcast when I was having a bath to relax but I didn't get much relaxation with what he talked about ,shame on big pharma .I have a plan some day of giving an anatomy of an epidemic to the doctor that prescribed my poison .

the great peter breggin could only top Mr Whitaker   I think .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Loved, loved, loved the interview with Robert Whitaker! The Donald Trump of Anti-psychiatry! I've read his books and listened to multiple speeches by him, but this is the first time I've heard him relate his personal experienced with persecution because of his fact-based publications.

Kudos to you, James, for bringing out these fascinating facets of this amazing man.

PatriciaVP@AbleWriterSays My Intro

Zoloft 150-200 mg- on and off between 1998 and 2004.

Lexapro 40 mg - 2004-2013 30 mg 2013 - August 2015 20 mg August 2015- September 2015 15 mg September 2015 - October 2015 10 mg October 2015 -Nov. 1 2015. Nov. 2015 increased dose to 12.5 mg to stabilize. Dec. 28 2015 11.25 mg March 29, 2016 10 mg. August 1, 2016 9 mg. October 23, 2016 8.1 mg. Nov. 29, 2016 7.5 mg. Feb. 25, 2017 7 mg. April 9, 2017 6.5 mg. June 2017 6 mg. Aug. 2018 5.75 mg March 2019 5.5 mg Apr. 2019 5.25 mg. June 2019 5 mg Sept. 2019 4.75 mg Nov. 2019 4.5 mg Dec. 2019  4.25 April 7 2020 4mg 

Depakote 1000 mg 2008-2013  750 2013-Dec 2015 500 mg Dec 2015 to Feb 2, 2016. Sopped completely Feb 2 2016.

Adderall 40mg 2004-Feb 29, 2016. Feb 29,2016 - reduced Adderall to 20 mg based on pdoc's recommendations. March 29, 2016 - Reduced Adderall to 15 mg. April 30 reduced Adderall to 10 mgs. May 28, 2016 reduced Adderall to 5 mgs.June 8, 2016 stopped taking Adderall due to extreme agitation.

Amphetamine 20mg 2008 - 1/16. 1/16 - Stopped Amphetamine completely because pdoc did not renew script.

WWW.PSYCHFREE.NET 

Thank you so much to all of you for listening and for your feedback, this podcast really is made with this and other communities in mind and I am glad that it's finding an audience here. 

@apace41 - thank you so much for listening, the interview with Robert was a bit of an epic! I was very nervous but he was so easy to talk with and I liked that we talked theory but also got into some of the emotional aspects too that really made the experience 'live' for me. I have my work cut out now to top that one but I'll give it a good go, thanks so much for your support.

@powerback - thank you also for listening, I'm sorry I ruined what should have been a relaxing bath for you! Hearing Bob Whitaker speak really does lay bare the harm that Pharma and their lust for profit have caused. Just to let you know, I have approached Dr. Breggin for an interview and I am keeping my fingers crossed, watch this space!!

@PatriciaVP - Thank you so much for your feedback Patricia, it as an honour to be able to talk with Robert and he was very amenable. When he said the 'Donald Trump of anti psychiatry' I had to stop the interview for a couple of minutes, I really was laughing at that. 

Another interview with a user went live today and this community figures very large in that interview. I also have more in the pipeline, both experts and users too. Thank you to all of you for your help and support.

With best wishes

James