If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Let's Talk Withdrawal, a new weekly podcast on antidepressants

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#73 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 08 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

Another one you might consider is Irving Kirsch.

Video:  Irving Kirsch:  Emperor's New Drugs:  Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect (1 hour 20 minutes)

Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect by Irving Kirsch (link to full article)

Reminder to self:      P A T I E N C E       I want to go faster    but I won't

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 24mg (from 19 May 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#74 Jennifer78

Jennifer78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIllinois USA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I can't get any of the episodes to play. It says there temporarily unavailable?
Celexa 40mg stopped taking it 12-01-16
Abilify 10mg stopped 12-01-16
Wellbutrin XL currently taking
I have been on some type of meds for 15 years

#75 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

James, I have loved all of your interviews. You've done a spectacular job lining up the members of the small group of courageous experts who are willing to speak out against the party line and expose what these drugs are really about and the harms they are causing so many people. But it is great that you are also including ordinary folks who share their personal struggles and the horror show they've gone through,  and the damage, albeit temporary, that has been done to them simply because they want to get OFF of the merry go round of drugging.  I especially enjoyed Megan's recent interview, and I look forward every Tuesday to the next one.   It is, to me, so good to hear people stating out loud "the unspeakable" truth--that our entire mental health/psychiatry system is built upon the shifting sands of lies and greed and iatrogenic harms. Thank you for doing this.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

#76 JamesMoore

JamesMoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Hi all

Thanks so much for your feedback.

@ChessieCat - That's a great suggestion thank you so much, I will follow up and keep my fingers crossed, Irving Kirsch would be a great interview to do.

@Jennifer78 - I am sorry to hear that, are you listening via iTunes or via my website? As an alternative, all the episodes can be accessed from this page: http://www.jfmoore.co.uk/podcast.htmlthere's a list of episodes at the bottom of the page. I hope that helps but please let me know if you still can't access them. They are also now all available on YouTube too here with captions too now for those hard of hearing: https://youtu.be/oXn1hc7W-MQ?list=PLAXR3UqjS3I2wWHcRHtP930WBPQL8P5HT

@DrugFreeProf - Thank you so very much for your feedback, I am really grateful to everyone that takes the time to listen in. The response has been amazing and I am so pleased to be able to capture these experiences and share them too. I have to say that everyone I have spoken with so far, including the interviews yet to be broadcast, have been so generous and gracious with me. What psychiatry has done to such generous, giving and caring people is dreadful and I really want to do my bit to raise awareness that the narrative of improvement in mental health treatment that we have all been sold is not backed up by the evidence or by patients experiences. I have now started to get more experts approach me to talk, which is incredible. I am putting some time and thought into how best to get this message out wider than this wonderful community and so we can reach the ears of those yet to come into contact with psychiatric services. The podcast too is also part of my own hearing journey and I take great comfort from stories like Megan's and the others too, realising that you are not alone in these struggles is a huge part of what leads to success when taking back control of your life. Many thanks to you for your lovely feedback and I'd love it if you kept listening in as there are more interviews in the pipeline.

Thanks so much to you all, being a part of this community is an amazing experience and one that the medical world could learn many many lessons from, particularly around inclusion and a non judgemental approach to support rather than a narrow diagnosis and 'compliance' which does not leave room for our differences.

Thank you all.

James

March 2012 - Prescribed Mirtazapine 15mg for anxiety and phobias

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

#77 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,106 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Another one:  Gwen Olsen, author of Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher.  She already has a couple of interviews but she was also on psychiatric drug/s herself and her niece committed suicide when on them.

Ex-Big Pharma Rep:  We’re Trained To Misinform -The Drugs ARE Dangerous (6 minute video)

Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

Reminder to self:      P A T I E N C E       I want to go faster    but I won't

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 24mg (from 19 May 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#78 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

James, I have loved all of your interviews. You've done a spectacular job lining up the members of the small group of courageous experts who are willing to speak out against the party line and expose what these drugs are really about and the harms they are causing so many people. But it is great that you are also including ordinary folks who share their personal struggles and the horror show they've gone through,  and the damage, albeit temporary, that has been done to them simply because they want to get OFF of the merry go round of drugging.  I especially enjoyed Megan's recent interview, and I look forward every Tuesday to the next one.   It is, to me, so good to hear people stating out loud "the unspeakable" truth--that our entire mental health/psychiatry system is built upon the shifting sands of lies and greed and iatrogenic harms. Thank you for doing this.

Well said DFP.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#79 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

I have now started to get more experts approach me to talk, which is incredible.

Wow that is just tremendous.

I am just so blown away and so grateful for what you are doing.

The traction you are getting is phenomenal. I see T30 is posting your audios.

I like cc's recommendation to get G Olsen.

I was just thinking we all know doctors are clueless but surprisingly imo many pharmacists are aware of the harm being caused yet are not able to say anything. As one quietly leaned forward once and whispered to me  in acute wdl as i was seeking answers 'its not you its the drug but im not allowed to tell you that. ' At that moment for me the lightbulb went on and i went home and then found online support.

I believe mental health workers are also gagged as i spoke to one regarding the reason for a persons suicide attempt as being due to the ssri they were trying to get off and they also said to me 'yes we know that but we aren't allowed to say anything' .

Talking to a prominent pharmacist and health care worker may also be interview options.

This is what D Taylor said in 1999, clearly a man ahead of his time.  I wonder what this man might have to say today 18 yrs on. I guess he would be horrified at the iatrogenic epidemic nightmare that is occurring in society today.

I'd love to hear from Taylor again.

The real truth is that for many people antidepressants withdrawal  syndrome is neither mild nor short. Its not quite like standard texts say.  David Taylor chief pharmacist at the Maudsley Hospital London. Taylor D : Truth withdrawal, Open mind (National Association for Mental Health, London E14), September/October 1999, 16.

Anyway James thanks again for all you are doing. You single handedly are blowing a very strong breeze at this house of cards.

Wishing you even more success to unbelievable levels.

I hope your audios reach the millions who need to hear them.

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#80 Shep

Shep

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

James, I just listened to your podcast interview with Dr. Joanna Moncrieff and it was an impressive interview. 

I hadn't heard about the RADAR study and as a long-term antipsychotic survivor myself, I'm very happy to hear that antipsychotic withdrawal is being researched. 

I think this kind of research holds great benefits not only for folks on antipsychotics, but also for antidepressant and benzo survivors for the simple reason that if antipsychotics aren't needed for the most serious of mental distress, are drugs really needed for other forms of mental distress? 

Also, since antipsychotics are often used as adjunct depression treatment for what is now labeled "treatment-resistant depression" and "bipolar depression," this research will hopefully open the doors for research into the antidepressants. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that many of the people on antipsychotics in this study were first on an antidepressant that sparked a psychotic or manic episode. 

Since the RADAR study is being funded by the UK government's NIHR, it's clear that more and more researchers and doctors are becoming aware that something has gone terribly wrong with these drugs. 

To add a follow-up to NZ11's comment, I also have gotten more information about these drugs from pharmacists than doctors. My last pharmacist had a very emotional reaction when I told her I was off all of my drugs and she told me about her own experience with Xanax, which she was prescribed for several months after having surgery. She said way too many people are on these drugs and the withdrawal can be nothing short of horrific. 

I wonder if you could interview a knowledgeable pharmacist? I wonder if there are any whistler-blower type pharmacists out there that would be willing to speak out about this? 

Thank you for another great interview. 

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

My List of Non-Drug Coping Skills - Non-Drug Coping Toolkit for DP/DR

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#81 JamesMoore

JamesMoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

Hi all, thank you so much for your feedback, I'm so grateful to you for taking the time to write.

@ChessieCat - thanks for this, I have been in touch with Gwen and I'm hopeful that she would be interested in an interview, you're right that an ex Pharma view of these drugs and the activities of these manufacturers would be really good context.

@nz11 - Thanks so much, like you I have found that Pharmacists are more open to discussing the limitations and problems with these drugs. Really interesting quote you gave from David Taylor. There is clearly a cover up and no one wants to admit the damage and harm, it's almost too big a problem to expose now but I want to keep trying. I couldn't do it without the support of yourself and many other on this site too, thank you.

@Shep - Thank you so much, Joanna was really interesting to talk with and it is good to know that work is being done to understand and document the experiences that people have taking these drugs. Like you say, the evidence shows that antidepressants are almost a gateway to an antipsychotic, I have certainly had to refuse Quetiapine on a number of occasions, even though I was persuaded very strongly that it would "boost the action of the antidepressant" which is, of course, nonsense. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen. I'd like to use some of your feedback in the podcast, I hope that's ok.

@DrugFreeProf - Likewise, I would like to use some of your very kind feedback in the podcast, I hope that's ok with you.

Thanks to everyone, I am still working hard on more episodes so please keep listening in.

Best wishes

James

May 2012 - Jan 2017 - Had several brief spells on 30mg, none helpful, remained at 15mg

May 2017 - Started my withdrawal by transferring to liquid preparation at the same dosage (1ml = 15mg)

#82 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

James, you certainly may use my feedback for any purpose you choose.

I am most gratified by what you are doing.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

#83 JamesMoore

JamesMoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

Thank you so much, feedback really helps me to gain more awareness, I'm very grateful to you.

#84 Shep

Shep

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,654 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:55 AM

@Shep - Thank you so much, Joanna was really interesting to talk with and it is good to know that work is being done to understand and document the experiences that people have taking these drugs. Like you say, the evidence shows that antidepressants are almost a gateway to an antipsychotic, I have certainly had to refuse Quetiapine on a number of occasions, even though I was persuaded very strongly that it would "boost the action of the antidepressant" which is, of course, nonsense. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen. I'd like to use some of your feedback in the podcast, I hope that's ok.

Hi, James.

Please do use any of my feedback here. I'm glad you find it helpful. And I'm glad you refused the Quetiapine. That is a very dangerous drug, and the last one I let go from my own cocktail. 

Thanks again for your podcasts. 

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

My List of Non-Drug Coping Skills - Non-Drug Coping Toolkit for DP/DR

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.