SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Aeroman - I have recovered from Lexapro and Cipro

I so needed to read your post today! I did not know about SA while tapering of Sertraline the first time, or while experiencing the WD symptoms after fast taper, and never knew about SA during my reinstatement of Sertraline, and was going off my doctor's advice as far as tapering and titrating this whole time, and so today I feel like a complete mess. He had me jumping around in doses (trying to "find your sweet spot" as he so grinningly worded it) and so now I feel like it's taken a huge toll on my body. I am going through another massive wave, and I feel exhausted, cannot concentrate, restless, anxious, you name the symptom I have it and have had it for almost a week now and feels like it will never end or get better. Prior to this, while still on 57mg before my doc had me try tapering last week, I was feeling better. I was finally feeling some emotion after having the apathy for so long. But now I am back to square one. I hate being on this stuff, and today especially feels like it's never going to get better.

But I read your story and feel more positive in knowing this too shall pass. Thanks for your update! It will help tons of people like it did me. :)

January 2014: 25mg Sertraline. 

April 2016: 75mg of Sertraline.

June 2016: 0mg Sertraline.

September 20, 2016: WD

September 22nd: Lexapro 10mg for 3 weeks. Doctor CT’ed me. 

October 2016: Trazodone. (Forgot dose)

October 2016: CT trazodone 

October 2016: Buspirone 30mg 

October 26 2016 - Sertraline was reinstated. Titrated from 12.5mg - 57mg.

March 2018 - stabilized on 57mg. 
March 2023 - No medications.

• Moderator Emeritus

I so needed to read your post today! I did not know about SA while tapering of Sertraline the first time, or while experiencing the WD symptoms after fast taper, and never knew about SA during my reinstatement of Sertraline, and was going off my doctor's advice as far as tapering and titrating this whole time, and so today I feel like a complete mess. He had me jumping around in doses (trying to "find your sweet spot" as he so grinningly worded it) and so now I feel like it's taken a huge toll on my body. I am going through another massive wave, and I feel exhausted, cannot concentrate, restless, anxious, you name the symptom I have it and have had it for almost a week now and feels like it will never end or get better. Prior to this, while still on 57mg before my doc had me try tapering last week, I was feeling better. I was finally feeling some emotion after having the apathy for so long. But now I am back to square one. I hate being on this stuff, and today especially feels like it's never going to get better.

But I read your story and feel more positive in knowing this too shall pass. Thanks for your update! It will help tons of people like it did me. :)

what you described was EXACTLY like me, in 2008.  On Feb 27, 2008, I took the last dose of Lexapro after a 1-month fast taper per the doctor's order.  At day 3, I felt moody.  At Day 5, I felt nauseous, moody, dizzy.  That lasted for 3 or so months.  I called that Phase I.

Phase II kicked in around month 4ish.  It was very distinct from Phase I.  What did I feel you ask?  

- through the roof anxiety

- crippling depression (worst than the original issue)

- insomnia

- weight loss

- restlessness

- 4am wake up call (if I slept)

- racing thoughts

- head fog; depersonalization

- existing, not living.

Around Month 12, I felt a bunch of relief but I was left with anhedonia.  After awhile, it all got better.  I would tell folks that I felt like I was in a waiting room waiting for my number to be called and recover from all of this mess.  Before, I would wake up dreading mornings.  Now, I couldn't wait to work on hobbies or spend time with my wife.  It does get better, trust me.

Whether you believe it or not, recovery WILL happen!

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

Thanks for sharing your story Aeroman.. did you at any point suffer from sexual dysfunction or loss in libido ? Did anhedonia not ruin libido ?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing your story Aeroman.. did you at any point suffer from sexual dysfunction or loss in libido ? Did anhedonia not ruin libido ?

Yes and it's back to normal now.

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

how long did the anhedonia and sexual dysfunction last ? Also if you could tell me what the trajectory of recovery in those two symptoms looked like ? E.g. gradual unnoticeable changes / big leaps overnight over a period of time ?

It just feels great to know that people do come out of this hell. 

My life's been in ruins since PSSD and anhedonia hit me. 

• Mentor

Around Month 12, I felt a bunch of relief but I was left with anhedonia.  After awhile, it all got better.  I would tell folks that I felt like I was in a waiting room waiting for my number to be called and recover from all of this mess.  Before, I would wake up dreading mornings.  Now, I couldn't wait to work on hobbies or spend time with my wife.  It does get better, trust me.

this is so good to hear. Congratulations!!!

although I am still tapering (am on a low dose of 0.27mgs of lexapro) I went thru the crash that you describe and  slowly came out of that (with a few waves that are almost as bad)

now I seem to be in the anhedonia phase, I don't have much anxiety but I'm not getting much pleasure out of my life and seem to be just trying to find things to fill up the time.

I am, however, working with some books about "Hardwiring Happiness" and other neuroplasticity related books, and hoping to take the few seconds here and there, when I do actually FEEL something good, and try to make them grow.

I am so glad you come back to post this update!

thank you for doing so, it means a LOT to those of us still on the journey and waiting for our number to be called!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Moderator Emeritus

how long did the anhedonia and sexual dysfunction last ? Also if you could tell me what the trajectory of recovery in those two symptoms looked like ? E.g. gradual unnoticeable changes / big leaps overnight over a period of time ?

It just feels great to know that people do come out of this hell. 

My life's been in ruins since PSSD and anhedonia hit me. 

Anhedonia, about 3 years but it wasn't all that bad in those 3 years.  I had good and bad waves.  it was a non-linear recovery.  gradual change.

• Administrator

Hurray, Aeroman! Thank you so much for remembering your friends and sharing this good news.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

this is so good to hear.

although I am still tapering (am on a low dose of 0.27mgs of lexapro) I went thru the crash that you describe and  slowly came out of that (with a few waves that are almost as bad)

now I seem to be in the anhedonia phase, I don't have much anxiety but I'm not getting much pleasure out of my life and seem to be just trying to find things to fill up the time.

I am, however, working with some books about "Hardwiring Happiness" and other neuroplasticity related books, and hoping to take the few seconds here and there, when I do actually FEEL something good, and try to make them grow.

I am so glad you come back to post this update!

thank you for doing so, it means a LOT to those of us still on the journey and waiting for our number to be called!

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, one will know when they're in that anhedonia phase.  It isn't fun at all but I would take that over akathasia (inner restlessness) any day.  I have a slew of hobbies and all of that got put on hold until I came out of this.  I remember so much dust collected in the garage where I like to spend my time doing things.  Now, I wish I had more time during the weekends to do things!  When I think about w/d, it is nothing but a memory now.  My brain isn't able to switch to that old mind set.

Before, I was numb.  I didn't pick up the phone.  I didn't feel like visiting loved ones.  I pretended to smile or carry on a conversation.  I avoided so much.  What I did pick up during that time was walking.  Yes, good old walking.  I was able to get fresh air and listen to music even though I couldn't enjoy it.  I helped with the sleep issues.

I know many of you reading this are living with a condition that is almost impossible to describe.  Your doctor doesn't buy it.  Your spouse thinks that maybe you don't love them anymore.  Your boss thinks you are lazy or just under performing all in the while, you want out of this glass shell.  You are able to observe people smiling and laughing but you are not able to connect with their joy.

It is when you walk outside, notice a bird chirping or a beautiful color on a flower - it is THEN you realize that your brain is finally making progress.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hurray, Aeroman! Thank you so much for remembering your friends and sharing this good news.

I have had nothing but love for you and your page.  No doctor, no therapist, no nothing could understand the pain I was going through...only fellow sufferers.  I lived on here and other past sites and was my therapy.  Hope all is well my friend.

Hey Aeroman-- long time no see.  It sounds like life is treating you pretty well, I'm so excited for you.  Thank you so much for dropping in and letting people see that there really is life after WD.  So many people hit "0" and just disappear (which I can truly understand) it's hard to get any idea of the progression post WD.

I so agree with the healing power of getting out into nature, we all need to get out into it every day.  Even when we don't feel like it the exposure is beneficial.

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you so much for coming back and giving others hope. It means so much! I am so happy for you to be healed and living a happy full life! How/when in your recovery did the restlessness/akathisia & awful anxiety clear up for you?

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you so much for coming back and giving others hope. It means so much! I am so happy for you to be healed and living a happy full life! How/when in your recovery did the restlessness/akathisia & awful anxiety clear up for you?

You're welcome.  It was around Months 10-12 ish...I noticed relief from it.  How far in wd are you?

I have a complicated history. Took Zoloft for 4 years and quit ct. wd showed up a year later but I didn't know it was wd as it was physical symptoms. My doctor told me it was probably stress and to restart Zoloft after being off of it for 1.5 years. I had an adverse or kindling reaction to it, then tried paxil and Celexa and each reaction was worse. Anyways... I haven't taken an AD for 4 months now.. its honestly torture every day. Just looking for the hope that it gets better at some point, even if bearable again. Thank you!

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the anhedonia club too. It sucks!

Thanks for coming back from the other side and giving us all some hope that it is worthwhile continuing the struggle to be drug free.

Sometimes it's easy to forget why we are putting ourselves through this horrible ordeal. Stories like yours give us the strength to put one foot in front of the other and keep going.

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Been thinking of you Aeroman.

I have to say you are a true fighter going through and surviving two rounds of long lasting, and the most impossible journeys! Your streghth and determination set great example to everyone here and help us continuing the journey!

Coming back and helping rest of us shows another great aspect of kind soul you have, I have deep respect to what you achieved and you do!

The most wonderful thing though, of course, that you get your full life back! I'm truely happy for you, you are so well deserved!

All I want to say is, enjoy every moment of the new life, and take good care!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Congratulations Aeroman! It is fantastic that you have gotten your life back and that WDS is a distant memory!

Your success story is such an encouragement to others. Take care, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks everyone! I hope many of my old friends here have recovered or at least gotten a lot of relief!

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Aeroman

Thanks a lot for coming back here and writing your update. I am on the boat of medium to slow tapers reaching to 4.5Mg from 15Mg of remeron in July. I have a bit of anhedonia and than a lot of lack of motivation of procrastination feelings. I am hoping this will go away otherwise i might need to resign from my job and that is not good.

Anyway reading you gives me hope that we will be able to make it free from this **** someday...

Enjoy your new life and do not take it for granted. You have fought hard to reach at this stage buddy. Hats off from me.

All the best

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

Hello, Aeroman! Congratulations on recovering and getting a normal life back!

I was going to ask if you had any chest pain or throat tightness? I've been dealing with these symptoms for awhile and I'm not sure what the cause is. If you had it, how long did it take to go away? It's one of the most annoying symptoms I have. Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe or swallow or that it's trying to close on me. The anxiety isn't much of a problem anymore but it doesn't hello the throat tightness and vice versa.

Thanks for your time and for coming back to answer questions and tell your story. It does such wonders to hear recovery stories! It's like a light in darkness. Thank you!!

- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

* Morning stretching routine every day *

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Aeroman! Congratulations on recovering and getting a normal life back!

I was going to ask if you had any chest pain or throat tightness? I've been dealing with these symptoms for awhile and I'm not sure what the cause is. If you had it, how long did it take to go away? It's one of the most annoying symptoms I have. Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe or swallow or that it's trying to close on me. The anxiety isn't much of a problem anymore but it doesn't hello the throat tightness and vice versa.

Thanks for your time and for coming back to answer questions and tell your story. It does such wonders to hear recovery stories! It's like a light in darkness. Thank you!!

Hello, you're welcome.  Yes I did.  I don't remember when it resolved.  I had all sorts of weird wd symptoms and they all went away.  Even if I stated the time frame, your timeline is unique.  However, the pattern is the same for many of us.

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Aeroman

Thanks a lot for coming back here and writing your update. I am on the boat of medium to slow tapers reaching to 4.5Mg from 15Mg of remeron in July. I have a bit of anhedonia and than a lot of lack of motivation of procrastination feelings. I am hoping this will go away otherwise i might need to resign from my job and that is not good.

Anyway reading you gives me hope that we will be able to make it free from this **** someday...

Enjoy your new life and do not take it for granted. You have fought hard to reach at this stage buddy. Hats off from me.

All the best

I know the feeling.  For the time being, do something that nurtures the mind like puzzles, good stuff on TV, anything that burns time but also relaxes.  It's a waiting game.  You'll get there!

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Aeroman! It is fantastic that you have gotten your life back and that WDS is a distant memory!

Your success story is such an encouragement to others. Take care, Hopefull. :)

thank you, hope all is well with you

• Moderator Emeritus

Been thinking of you Aeroman.

I have to say you are a true fighter going through and surviving two rounds of long lasting, and the most impossible journeys! Your streghth and determination set great example to everyone here and help us continuing the journey!

Coming back and helping rest of us shows another great aspect of kind soul you have, I have deep respect to what you achieved and you do!

The most wonderful thing though, of course, that you get your full life back! I'm truely happy for you, you are so well deserved!

All I want to say is, enjoy every moment of the new life, and take good care!

Lex

Thanks!  Yeah, no more Cipro for me - that stuff was horrible!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm in the anhedonia club too. It sucks!

Thanks for coming back from the other side and giving us all some hope that it is worthwhile continuing the struggle to be drug free.

Sometimes it's easy to forget why we are putting ourselves through this horrible ordeal. Stories like yours give us the strength to put one foot in front of the other and keep going.

Yes, the anhedonia was the long lasting issue for me - it will go away!

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a complicated history. Took Zoloft for 4 years and quit ct. wd showed up a year later but I didn't know it was wd as it was physical symptoms. My doctor told me it was probably stress and to restart Zoloft after being off of it for 1.5 years. I had an adverse or kindling reaction to it, then tried paxil and Celexa and each reaction was worse. Anyways... I haven't taken an AD for 4 months now.. its honestly torture every day. Just looking for the hope that it gets better at some point, even if bearable again. Thank you!

yes, you are in the midst of wd.  you will get through this.  For now, hang on tight - you are going to learn a lot about yourself.  No other experience has strengthened my mind like being in SSRI w/d

Hi Aeroman. We love success stories around here. Congrats!

Marie

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

Thank you for coming back!! Did u have one last big wave before everything healed or was it gradual imperceptible change? I have always wondered if it's like waking up from a dream suddenly.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

This has been an interesting read, such hope for everyone. I was wondering what I am meant to be doing to recover? I do work from home part time, a struggle, and meet up with friends when I can but nothing seems to ease the symptoms, real bad brain fog all the time and anhendonia. Is it really a case of time and patience? Will these symptoms subside on their own ? I feel at times I must be doing something wrong or not doing something that I should be. Such a challenge everyday and want it to end but of course I cant magic myself better just feel that I cant cope with this.  I have been off AD for almost 9 months now cold turkey. It seems that if this is the rest of my life it is too hard but have no alternative but to keep going.

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

great to hear this!!! especially the  anhedonia. so you went from feeling absolutely nothing to getting back to full emotions??

what kind of pattern was the return of emotions? short windows? over night? bit by bit?

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for coming back!! Did u have one last big wave before everything healed or was it gradual imperceptible change? I have always wondered if it's like waking up from a dream suddenly.

You're welcome!

Did you ever have a headache, take a pill, and then having it go away, gradually? At the end of the day, you remembered you had that headache but can't quite pinpoint when it disappeared? That's how it was for me. I had good days and then not so good days. Then I had longer good days. Then days turned to weeks, then months, then finally years...solid,good feeling moments. You'll get there.

• Moderator Emeritus

This has been an interesting read, such hope for everyone. I was wondering what I am meant to be doing to recover? I do work from home part time, a struggle, and meet up with friends when I can but nothing seems to ease the symptoms, real bad brain fog all the time and anhendonia. Is it really a case of time and patience? Will these symptoms subside on their own ? I feel at times I must be doing something wrong or not doing something that I should be. Such a challenge everyday and want it to end but of course I cant magic myself better just feel that I cant cope with this. I have been off AD for almost 9 months now cold turkey. It seems that if this is the rest of my life it is too hard but have no alternative but to keep going.

Your thinking was exactly like mine. I thought I was going to be one of those that did not recover. I remember reading a bunch of stories where people went a long time without any Improvement. Well, the majority of those people did recover in fact I think almost all of them that I was friends with on here. It does not matter if you believe you're going to recover or not because the brain will heal no matter what you do. My recommendation is you do some activities that eases the mind like doing a jigsaw puzzle with a friend or family. Doing some puzzles or crossword puzzles kind of thing, seeing funny movies even though you can't laugh. What you are doing is burning time but in a good sense. I remember reading a bunch of stuff on the internet to help me see the light and I remember spending hours reasing upon story and story. It was that time I knew I was burning up time so I can get to the end of this nightmare.

Hi Aeroman

Thank you for your post, so helpful.

Love that bit where you say 'it does not matter if you believe you're going to recover or not because the brain will heal no matter what you do' On that odd good day I know that to be true, I have to heal eventually. Of course that odd good day has been 1 or 2 half days where I felt hope was being restored, difficult to remember on the rest of the dodgy days.  Not one of my friends or family members truly understands the horrible symptoms of this recovery and even notice that most of my friends just don't believe this is all through stopping meds and are patience with my excuses of not wanting to go places, which I find too hard recently.

I try to do things at home to keep busy and have managed to sort out a couple of rooms in the house even though it was a challenge. I am just going through the motions of being busy and although my heart is not in it I am 'burning time' as you say, I like that expression very much!!

If all I need to do is burn time and be patient I can do that.

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's it. Burn time, seriously. I tried all sorts of herbs, supplements, etc to help me sleep, lift mood but nothing worked for me. It may for you but it didn't with me.

NO ONE will fully understand all this. It's impossible - they are not you and do not live in your brain/state of mind.

I remember that mornings were particularly tough. By the evening, I was improved and even laughing. I didn't want the night to end. I dreamed going to bed bc I knew I wasn't going to sleep and that the morning was a reset of my mind. It all recovered. In fact, I am writing this in my garage as I work on my antique car!

Aeroman, so nice to hear from you again. I remember your original AD recovery on PP and clung to that. Was so sad for you when it all crashed in again with the cipro. I'm very encouraged to see that you have recovered- again! 

I still have the anhedonia as well. It is not as "thick" anymore, but it is there in the sense that everything feels like a joyless chore, with small flickers of time where the heart catches on and I feel positive or excited about what Im doing. I am 9 months drug free now, after a 4 year nice and slow 10% taper from 20mg Paxil. However i was in acute wd from CT-ing Effexor prior to the Paxil taper so it was a rough ride. Hoping for continued improvement. I'm happy you're working on your cars again, good for you!!! :)

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16