SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Aeroman - I have recovered from Lexapro and Cipro

• Moderator Emeritus

I was on Lexapro 2.5 mg then 5 mg for 6 years. It took me 2 years to wean off. I also had a horrible experience with Cipro! Please, can anyone tell me what experiences they had with Cipro? I was given it for any upper respiratory infection I had very freely, even for a dental cleaning. One day I went into anaphylaxis and nearly died. This was back in 2003. My doctor said that Cipro can make your joints explode. I have trouble with all of my joints now. I had no idea there were psychological effects from taking Cipro.

Your help will be appreciated! Please move this post to the right place if needed.

Kestrel

Yes, Cipro crosses the blood brain barrier and causes all sorts of neurological issues. Mine was auditory hallucinations, Insomnia, anxiety, depression, and fear. All went away.

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

Hey aero,

How is your symptoms now regrading memory, brain fog, anhedonia and sexual side effects?

I used lexapro just like you but unfortunately I used zyprexa too. Paxil as well 10 years ago.

Your experience is helpful

Thanks aero

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey aero,

How is your symptoms now regrading memory, brain fog, anhedonia and sexual side effects?

I used lexapro just like you but unfortunately I used zyprexa too. Paxil as well 10 years ago.

Your experience is helpful

Thanks aero

Hello, ALL resolved now.

Lexparo 10mg user for 2.5 years. Last dose was 2/27/2008 after a fast 1 month taper. Recovered around 2011. Had issues with depression, anxiety, akathasia, inner restlessness, vertigo, insomnia, loss of appetite, eye floaters just to name a few. Basically rode it out, employing the Dr. Claire Weekes method.

Took Cipro in July of 2014 and have been having set backs with nausea, vertigo, anxiety (racing thoughts), and depression the last half of 2014.

I'm having a particularly tough time at the moment and this post gives a great deal of solace. I've read back on the comments and you mention the anhedonia went away for you at 3 years but when did all the symptoms cease for you? 3 years also? Also did withdrawals have an impact on other aspects of your health? Like hormone, thyroid issues, or leaky gut? If so, did the health issues resolve? I've been battling leaky gut, candida, thyroid issues ever since i tried to cold turkey first time almost 7 years ago.

EDIT: NVM to first part of question as I don't see your signature on my smartphone unless I get out of phone mode. Answer was in your signature.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm having a particularly tough time at the moment and this post gives a great deal of solace. I've read back on the comments and you mention the anhedonia went away for you at 3 years but when did all the symptoms cease for you? 3 years also? Also did withdrawals have an impact on other aspects of your health? Like hormone, thyroid issues, or leaky gut? If so, did the health issues resolve? I've been battling leaky gut, candida, thyroid issues ever since i tried to cold turkey first time almost 7 years ago.

EDIT: NVM to first part of question as I don't see your signature on my smartphone unless I get out of phone mode. Answer was in your signature.

Yeah, most of my issues resolved between year 3 and year 4. No leaky gut. I did have nausea issues.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aeroman

Did you also have genital numbness all the while ?

no

Yeah, most of my issues resolved between year 3 and year 4. No leaky gut. I did have nausea issues.

Thank you for the reply. What was it like to transition into your new life? Was it smooth or a struggle? I'm finding it difficult rejoining the land of the living.

<p>10 years of ssri and finally tapered off in 2 years. Off Celexa by jan/28/2014 and off benzos by March/6th/2014 after only two months use and still experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the reply. What was it like to transition into your new life? Was it smooth or a struggle? I'm finding it difficult rejoining the land of the living.

great question. It was gradual. Folks noticed I was laughing more, cracking up jokes. They also noticed I was taking calls as before, I ignored the phone. Life in the bedroom was much better, performance was through the roof (I know, TMI) but it shows how tough WD can be.

Hi aero,

Have you recovered from both lexapro and cipro withdrawal now?

I'm one month past lexapro now but I still experience brain fog and ED. Have you experienced that during withdrawal?

Let me know

Thanks

orignal text where "ED" is:my erections aren't fully hard. I often ejaculate without being fully erect

Edited by scallywag
remove graphic description of PSSD symptom

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2017-03-29 at 10:53 AM, Bobo32 said:

Hi aero,

I'm one month past lexapro now but I still experience brain fog and ED. Have you experienced that during withdrawal?

Let me know

Thanks

I am fully recovered. You've asked me about sexual dysfunction before. As I have told you, I am fully recovered in ALL departments. Wife loves it. I'm speaking for myself here but the libido issues during WD was the LEAST of my concern. I wanted "me" back. I had thoughts of suicide that didn't go away. So, getting a boner was on the back burner. How about we put that to rest, OK?

Edited by scallywag
remove graphic description of PSSD symptom in quoted post

• Moderator Emeritus

So, getting a boner was on the back burner. How about we put that to rest, OK?

We have a "Best of SA" thread but after this post I might just have to retire that thread and say this post "takes the prize."

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Mentor

So, getting a boner was on the back burner. How about we put that to rest, OK?

We have a "Best of SA" thread but after this post I might just have to retire that thread and say this post "takes the prize."

*giggle*

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

great question. It was gradual. Folks noticed I was laughing more, cracking up jokes. They also noticed I was taking calls as before, I ignored the phone. Life in the bedroom was much better, performance was through the roof (I know, TMI) but it shows how tough WD can be.

Awesome! I have issues with picking up the phone at the moment so I'll use it as a gauge.

On 2017-03-29 at 11:22 AM, Aeroman said:

On 2017-03-29 at 10:53 AM, Bobo32 said:

Hi aero,

Let me know

Thanks

I am fully recovered. You've asked me about sexual dysfunction before. As I have told you, I am fully recovered in ALL departments. Wife loves it. I'm speaking for myself here but the libido issues during WD was the LEAST of my concern. I wanted "me" back. I had thoughts of suicide that didn't go away. So, getting a boner was on the back burner. How about we put that to rest, OK?

Getting a Boner was on the back burner ???????????? I'm dying!

Edited by scallywag
remove graphic description of PSSD symptom in quoted post

• Moderator Emeritus

Lol, hey, at least I made some of you laugh! In all seriousness, SSRI WD is no joke. It's under reported and I'm willing to bet that many don't even know they have it.

I totally agree and no offence to the poster. I consider myself so lucky that i've even started to see the light and be able to laugh at anything after only 12 months of withdrawl. I can definitely relate to the feeling of despair thinking some of the damage may be permanent and wanting to know answers so you can either accept what happened to you or be reinforced that things will get better. We are all so different it's impossible to guage our recovery of someone elses. The unknown is very scary :/ but we have to accept where we are at try to enjoy the little things or we will get suffocated searching. Thank you for providing hope to us that are still lost, we can all recover it just takes time.

• Moderator Emeritus

I totally agree and no offence to the poster. I consider myself so lucky that i've even started to see the light and be able to laugh at anything after only 12 months of withdrawl. I can definitely relate to the feeling of despair thinking some of the damage may be permanent and wanting to know answers so you can either accept what happened to you or be reinforced that things will get better. We are all so different it's impossible to guage our recovery of someone elses. The unknown is very scary :/ but we have to accept where we are at try to enjoy the little things or we will get suffocated searching. Thank you for providing hope to us that are still lost, we can all recover it just takes time.

You're welcome.  Yes, many state that they start seeing the light at around 12 - 18 months.  I thought I would have been recovered by Month 18 but that didn't happen.  What did happen at Month 18 is that it wasn't as bad as Months 4-10.   For me, those were the WORST!  Anxiety was through the roof and i recall that no talk therapy helped.  I kept telling the talk therapist that this was SSRI induced, wasn't just in my head.

Its so hard to deal with therapists and p-docs , because they just wont believe that this **** is SSRI induced. They said I probably needed the highest dose possible to get better and my depression was through the roof. TBH I wasnt feeling anything let alone depression when they try to brainwash me to start taking meds again. Thankfully I gave them the boot. I didn't even pay the last fee , they looted me all this while and left me in the worst shape of my life . Cant believe I fell for this crap.

• Moderator Emeritus

Its so hard to deal with therapists and p-docs , because they just wont believe that this **** is SSRI induced. They said I probably needed the highest dose possible to get better and my depression was through the roof. TBH I wasnt feeling anything let alone depression when they try to brainwash me to start taking meds again. Thankfully I gave them the boot. I didn't even pay the last fee , they looted me all this while and left me in the worst shape of my life . Cant believe I fell for this crap.

Yes, that's when I quit going after 4 years. They didn't believe me it was chemically Induced.

Hi Aeroman:

I want to congratulate you on your recovery.

I'm just curious, when you went through WD, were you nauseous? I hit the 7mg mark, and become nauseous. I can't seem to get past it.

Ginger makes me throw up. The dr gave me some anti nausea meds, but I only take them if I have too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aeroman:

I want to congratulate you on your recovery.

I'm just curious, when you went through WD, were you nauseous? I hit the 7mg mark, and become nauseous. I can't seem to get past it.

Ginger makes me throw up. The dr gave me some anti nausea meds, but I only take them if I have too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thank you. Yes, absolutely. It was chronic nausea for 3 months for me. I was sucking on ginger hard candy, diet ginger ale, and they helped! It eventually went away.

Frogie I have to speak to this. The nausea was so severe for myself. I struggled with it for over a year. I lost 25 lbs. it want until around month 10 if my small RI that it subsided. I really don't have much nausea now but my whole diet has changed for the better.

Is there anything you can say to someone who is just so lost and hopeless right now. I had a bad reaction to Zoloft and quit it after 8 days and here I am almost 6 months later with symptoms still going strong, i know ive progressed but I can't convince myself I hAve. I'm a 17 year old High schooler I don't deserve any of this, none of us do. Do you have any thing that you would like to go back and tell yourself in W/D. I just need some type of hope I'm so lost and struggling so badly. I've definitely hit a big wall.

Is there anything you can say to someone who is just so lost and hopeless right now. I had a bad reaction to Zoloft and quit it after 8 days and here I am almost 6 months later with symptoms still going strong, i know ive progressed but I can't convince myself I hAve. I'm a 17 year old High schooler I don't deserve any of this, none of us do. Do you have any thing that you would like to go back and tell yourself in W/D. I just need some type of hope I'm so lost and struggling so badly. I've definitely hit a big wall.

Yes I had a very adverse reaction too. I was only on Prozac for a couple of months. At 6 months I still couldn't look anyone in the eye and I wanted to jump out of my own skin every night. I also used to have a drinking problem so I tried to drink the pain away a few times, everything made it worse, I wanted to die. At month 9 I made it out of the depersonalization phase along with every other symptoms in the book I can't even remember half of them because I was so messed up (depersonalization being the most scary, literally nothing felt real, I kept wondering if I would be stuck in some sort of dream state forever). I still had migraines, food sensitivities and a buzzing noise in my head whenever I talked which makes relating to people near impossible. Now i'm at month 12 I have those symptoms but they're all very manageable. My life is mostly normal at this point. Hang on, you have this :) i'm 25 and you definitely heal a lot faster than someone in their 40's!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you're going through a tough patch right now but know that it will be temporary. At 6 months out, I remember that was really really tough for me. In terms of withdrawal timeline, I will still consider that fairly "new in wd" or acute phase. What I did was spend a lot of time on the internet reading a lot of posts that people had that would help me see the light. I tend to stay away from the negative ones because those would freak me out. I did my best to keep my mind positive to the best of my ability so it would not backfire my progress if I had any. Those small windows that I had would get longer and more uplifting. I pick and choose certain people on the forums that I would talked with on a regular basis and compare notes and even though it was temporary on the relief, it really helped put things in perspective that I wasn't alone. The fact that I knew that I was not alone in my own mind really helped make this right just a little smoother. It was hell, it was pure hell. To feel like a foreigner in your own mind and in your own body was one of the worst episodes of My Life. And coming back here and letting you all know that I have gone through this we'll hopefully should a new light in your life today. Whether you believe recovery is possible or not, is irrelevant to the final outcome because YOU WILL RECOVER.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes I had a very adverse reaction too. I was only on Prozac for a couple of months. At 6 months I still couldn't look anyone in the eye and I wanted to jump out of my own skin every night. I also used to have a drinking problem so I tried to drink the pain away a few times, everything made it worse, I wanted to die. At month 9 I made it out of the depersonalization phase along with every other symptoms in the book I can't even remember half of them because I was so messed up (depersonalization being the most scary, literally nothing felt real, I kept wondering if I would be stuck in some sort of dream state forever). I still had migraines, food sensitivities and a buzzing noise in my head whenever I talked which makes relating to people near impossible. Now i'm at month 12 I have those symptoms but they're all very manageable. My life is mostly normal at this point. Hang on, you have this :) i'm 25 and you definitely heal a lot faster than someone in their 40's!
I was in my mid 30s when I went through this lol. I'm 41 now. I don't think age makes a difference with regards to SSRI wd recovery. Depends on how you manage your time while waiting to cross the tunnel.

Thank you Aeroman. That is encouraging. Rocking chair cat is in his early 50,s and he is healing. Brasmonkey in in his late 50's and he is basically done with his taper and doing well. Hudgens was in his fifties and he is well and 2 plus years on the other side. And Altostada made it through and she is in her 60,'s now. So, thank you for your words of wisdom that I guess come with age!!! I am in my early 50's and filled with HOPE!!!!

Now what I would say to b305m is this, no, precious one, you do not deserve this, no one does deserve this suffering. Having said that, as aweful as you feel right now, KNOW this, this is temporary. You can grow through it into a much more compassionate, beautiful person. I am so sorry for your pain. Go to the success stories and read Irish Will. He was very young when put on, spent 10 years on, came off abruptly, but came back to tell us how his "horrendous case" as he called himself, turned out. Also, go online , u tube and watch Laura Delano talk of her healing. Very young on, was on 10 plus years, she is a new person. You will come through. The waiting is hard but you can learn, as we all must, patience And acceptance. Go read Irish will. Be encouraged!!!!

One more very very small detail, as I believe Aeroman stated here somewhere, time and GOD. Cry out to God, He sees you and knows you. Ask Him to help you and sustain you!!! He is the source of my strength!!!

Thank you very much everyone for the positive thoughts, and thank you Aero for actually taking the time and coming back and talking to people !!! Do you ever suggest maybe not spending so much time on the internet looking stuff up related to Withdrawal ?? And what're some tips you'd offer for healing, now that you can look back is patience and a good attitude all it takes ?? Thank u

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you very much everyone for the positive thoughts, and thank you Aero for actually taking the time and coming back and talking to people !!! Do you ever suggest maybe not spending so much time on the internet looking stuff up related to Withdrawal ?? And what're some tips you'd offer for healing, now that you can look back is patience and a good attitude all it takes ?? Thank u

I know it may sound counterintuitive but going onto the internet and reading positive tips and stories help recharge my opinion about withdrawal. But then you can look at it the other way and you can get kind of obsessed in reading and reading and reading at nauseam and not helping at all. I guess it just depends on the person. I don't really have any other tips but just do the best you can to burn time because essentially that's what you got to do.

You're the man for coming back and responding to everyone still to this day Hahahaha thank u a ton once again !!! I just need to start feeling better ASAP so I can get ready for my upcoming (US) football season this fall. Thanks again

Also when did u notice windows starting, I've had glimpses of good times but I can't define a long window

I agree; its a big thing for someone to come back here and respond to everyone. Kudos to Aeroman

That's it. Burn time, seriously. I tried all sorts of herbs, supplements, etc to help me sleep, lift mood but nothing worked for me. It may for you but it didn't with me.

NO ONE will fully understand all this. It's impossible - they are not you and do not live in your brain/state of mind.

I remember that mornings were particularly tough. By the evening, I was improved and even laughing. I didn't want the night to end. I dreamed going to bed bc I knew I wasn't going to sleep and that the morning was a reset of my mind. It all recovered. In fact, I am writing this in my garage as I work on my antique car!

Thank you Aeroman! I am in this stage right now. I have hope again!

Oct 2016. 20 years fluoxetine (20 mg) and bupropion (400 mg). Ceased fluoxetine without taper and bupropion after 4 wk taper. Initial extreme fatigue resolved into moderate fatigue and depression with occasional brain zaps and tingling skin.
Oct 2017. Anhedonia, 90% of my day. Occasional anxiety. Milder brain zaps. In past two weeks, 3 window days and 11 wave days.
May 2019. Anhedonia, infrequent anxiety, mild brain zaps. Sleeping 6 hours nightly after lifetime of 8 hours. Typical daily pattern is wave until late afternoon, window until bedtime. Occasional full day windows.