If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Alice1: Lexapro withdrawal 6 months out

escitalopram Lexapro

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#37 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,020 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Regarding thoughts;

I've spent so much money on therapy for this kind of thing , and I'm baffled on how HARD it is to apply the necessary strategies in early wd. I'm guessing it gets easier in later stages of wd . 

Yah, what helps most is to build up a practice.  The practice gives you a savings account at your wellness bank, to draw upon in times of stress.

It IS hard to do Mindfulness while thrashing about with symptoms.  But the moment you start feeling better, start again to build up a practice so that the next time you fall down, you can withdraw from your wellness savings account.

Examples of things that I have heard people being sensitive to when in withdrawal:  Light, sound, rhythm, music, TV (fast screen switches), news, Facebook, gluten, dairy, cheese, smells, exercise, caffeine, alcohol.  In fact, ALL recreational mind altering should stop:  no alcohol, no recreational drugs, until you are stable. 

Like with a dietary allergy, you may be able to bring these things back into your life later.  So it's not like you're never going to eat pizza again - just maybe not while you are in withdrawal!  You say you are eating, but I'm asking you to look at what you are eating.

Some of us can have immediate reaction:  that cottage cheese made me feel funny, or for some reason I really like hot tea right now.  90% of our body's serotonin is in the gut - so paying attention to your gut is a key piece to healing.

if I reinstate and it fails does that mean I'm going to be so bad I cant leave the house ?  I know nobody can answer that ..I actually get tremendous hope when people say if they were me they would tough it out , and when people tell me they would reinstate I feel panic ..

This may be your intuition guiding you.   I will play "devil's advocate" to see how it feels.  If I can soothe your fears, then maybe it's just panic and fear, and not your intuition.

A trial reinstatment of 1 mg Celexa might knock you about for a week or two if it fails, and you just quit it, and will likely settle down.  And you will know that you tried, and whether or not it's a successful strategy.  There are quite a few who have been relieved from reinstatement, like Addax, Jemima, Bayboy, and Weebles - and it's not like going back to square one.  Tapering off of 1 mg, is much better than tapering off of 10, or even 5 mg.

Please note that I am not recommending a reinstatement of Lexapro, like DrugFreeProf suggests.  I would not recommend that at this point.

Here's a way to look at it.  July 2016 you started your fast taper.  If you had been tapering 10% like we recommend here at SA, you would be at a dose of Lexapro of between 6.9mg and 7.4 mg, or higher.  This is equivalent to between 13.8 mg and 14.8 mg of Celexa.  So you see how tiny a dose I am suggesting?

Does that reduce the fear?

It is awesome that you are seeing bright spots, areas of functioning.  It's amazing how well we can get by on limited functioning.

It's your choice.  Let me lay it out:

1.  Continue as you are, ride it like a bad roller-coaster that you got on, but there's no way to get off until the ride is finished.

2.  Start working with Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil to see if it makes your bright spots brighter (but that may take enough time to close your window of opportunity for reinstatement)

or

3.  Reinstate 1 mg Celexa (not Lexapro) to see if it makes the bumpy ride a little smoother.

You can do #2 - no matter what you do - the reason I put it in options like this, is that the window of opportunity for reinstatement may be closing (we never know for sure when that is), and working with mag and fish oil - normally my first recommendation - may delay your reinstatment too long.

So - how do you respond / react to my "devil's advocate"?  (I'm not telling you to reinstate, I'm asking how you feel about reinstating, with a little more information to guide you)

ALWAYS, as Shep says, work on your Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms - find what helps you to feel better, and you will use these skills the rest of your life.

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

Currently Lithium Orotate 1.67 mg only.  I will re-evaluate this supplement in 2017.

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

#38 Alice1

Alice1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Locationcincinnati

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

Thank you Jan,
I really appreciate the time and information you have given me. This is ( as everybody here knows ) the most challenging experiences I've EVER had to face in my entire life. I can totally understand when people say once you're done with SSRI WD you can handle anything life throws at you. I just got done searching for time machines on eBay. No luck. I am currently lying in bed with my sleeping daughter, listening to her breathe , and ruminating about the day I walked into the doctors office to get the help I needed 2 years ago. You know ? I can remember the first night I took lex. I remember a thousand thought racing through my mind every second. Like a high speed slide show. The next morning I had the most smashing panic attack of my life. It's was at that moment I should've listened to my body and made the decision on what to do. My daughter is at the age where she is like a cuddly Teddy bear right now. You know the age where you just want to snuggle , hug , and play with and enjoy .. I feel that this poison is going to strip these precious upcoming moments from me and my daughter , and I will never get them back. By the time I feel better she will be grown up more and not be as she is now. Maybe she will be better , more cuddly , more fun who knows. At night I'm more optimistic about this whole terrible situation. Come morning I'm more pessimistic. There is no middle ground right now. I can't rationalize like I could 6 months ago . if there is one good thing coming out of this it's my precious daughter will know the dangers of antidepressants. Her mother warned me not to take them too. Funny thing (not really). I got on the lexapro first , then I got therapy. Ain't life a MF.
December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg
August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

#39 nicolantana

nicolantana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Locationwaterford ireland

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

Hey Alice 1,

Just read through your thread, and while I can't really offer any advice, I  can just tell you that I'm going through a very similar situation.

Your story is a heartbreaker man, especially with the child involved. This whole experience is hell itself, I think.

I was mis diagnosed and put on a potent mix of drugs for a short period. I realised the drugs were destroying me and quit them, but I fear I'm in for a long journey.

Anhedonia is my main issue, I just feel dead inside most of the time. But since I came off the drugs, there are glimmers of light. And I'm convinced the sun will shine again. But this struggle....I can't put it in to words....

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......

adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20

stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...

mid novemeber, began taper.....very small windows of emotion

Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....

8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks........doubting recovery......

#40 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:55 PM

Alice, you might wear dark or amber glasses for a while, outside and at the computer. Could be that a lessening of light stimulation will be of help.

JanCarol gave lots of good tips. As she suggested, 1mg Celexa might do for reinstatement, as a last resort. If you want to try it, do it on a long weekend.

Practicing slow meditative breathing might also help, particularly at work, where you might feel under stress. Don't be hard on yourself, most likely the people you work with don't notice your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#41 Skeeter

Skeeter

Silver star

• Moderators
  • 405 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis MN

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

Alice,

My story is a bit backwards of yours, but remember, every med works on everyone differently.

First, I want to straighten out an small blip I saw on your thread.  The half life of medications was spoken about.  First, the half life of a drug is when your body has metabolized HALF of the dose, so once you are beyond that point, if you are on a drug like regular Effexor, half life could be a worry (Effexor XR is the name of long release).   Regular Effexor has a half life of only 8 hours, which means if you tried to dose a drug like that once a day, you would be in withdrawal possibly 16 hours of every 24, so a med like that, you would want to dose 3 times a day, but SSRI's with that short of a half life are rare.  Lexapro has a half life of OVER 24 hours (27-32 hours to be exact), so it does not affect your situation at all.  Celexa ALSO has a half life of over 24 hours (35 hours to be exact!), and it takes 7 days to reach a steady state in the blood.  At any rate you are so long off of Lexapro, the half life of that drug had absolutely no bearing on you what-so-ever once that last dose was 24 hours+ out of your system.  I just did not want you to worry about half life times of medications because it does not even apply to you in ANY way right now.  It only applies when taking the med, and Lexapro or Celexa are fine being dosed once a day. They do NOT have short half lives!

Now I have been on Celexa, and it was so weak, it did nothing for me.  it was like taking a placebo.  I am not telling you this to force your hand one way or the other about reinstatement, I am only providing information about what happened to me, nothing more.  My doc removed me from 3 AD's (2 SSRI's and 1 SNRI, giving about 2.5 weeks each to get off of each of the 3 (and had agreed to put me on something else, then reneged. so I handled the panic, and depression, and the SI as long as I could, and finally (before I knew ANYTHING about AD's, long before I was a member here), 4 months later, I was put on Lexapro, a different med (the 3 I was on before were Pristiq, Bupropion, and Trazodone), so I switched to a totally different med 4 mos out, and had no issue with the new AD.  Now if you are nervous about starting even on that low of a dose of Celexa, please know that the COMMON dose of Celexa starts at 20mg/day (I went up to 40 and felt nothing).  You are starting so low (if you choose to), that I cannot imagine you having any major issues as the dose is so tiny.  That said, it is your decision.  I just do not want anyone to scare you into making one decision or another, I wanted you to have all of the information is all.  I have no stake in which you choose.

I wish you the very best!!!

Skeeter

Edited by ChessieCat, 20 March 2017 - 12:57 PM.
Added a paragraph break.

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 15mg
Current status: Holding.  Lost loved one recently, so waiting until after holidays to begin taper, will update.
Read my history here: http://survivinganti...eeters-journey/

My most recent signature is post #49.

How to create your signature: http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that your doctor is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

#42 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,020 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

Hey Alice1 !

I just got done searching for time machines on eBay. No luck.

:D at least you are keeping your sense of humour about you!  This will serve you well!

Funny thing (not really). I got on the lexapro first , then I got therapy. Ain't life a MF. 

Well - I was treated with the view that it was pointless going into therapy until the drugs started working!  Ain't that a thing?  

Like the therapists didn't want to see me until I was no longer "at my worst."  They actually told me that therapy wouldn't work until I was "out of crisis."

Isn't it interesting, that they only wanted to talk to a numbed mind?

Alto suggested breathing - I have just looked it up for another member - see if you can find a technique that suits you here:  Pranayama - Yogic Breathing

I hear so many glimpses of positive things from you - sometimes achingly so (your cuddly daughter) - that I have great hope for your recovery.

It does get better, it just takes longer than you want it to (sorry about the time machine - but I hear the DeLoreans are available for private purchase?).

I hope you see the sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

Currently Lithium Orotate 1.67 mg only.  I will re-evaluate this supplement in 2017.

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: escitalopram, Lexapro