George11: 3 weeks off anafranil (clomipramine)

george11

• Moderator Emeritus

Could you update your signature please - I was thinking you had been med free since 12 october 2014.

Thanks

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• george11

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• AliG

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello i am still here.I am 1 year and 1 month off med's but i am getting worse and not better.I had anxiety and been on med's for 7-8 years but now i have less anxiety and starting have depression.The depression is getting worse with the time!Is this normal?I don't want to go again on med's!

I will be thankful to listen what you think!

Thanks in advance!

2008-2010 seroxat 40mg for panic attacks

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2012 stopped seroxat(cold turkey) because of feeling perfect but after 2 months the panic attacks and other symptoms started again

Reinstated seroxat on 60mg but no effect (depression induced,low mood,and many other side effects)

Effexor 300mg for 1 month didn't work

2013-2014 Anafranil 100mg (tricyclic) 5-6 months feeling good but after that not feeling very good

Add maprotiline 50mg (tetracyclic) some improvement but i stopped maprotiline because i didn't want to be on cocktail

2014 Generalized anxiety disorder stopped and reinstated anafranil 150mg

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back George - it's been a while. 

What would be most helpful as we start to help you again is filling out a signature – drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post.  Include everything you've taken in the last few years or are taking now, even if it's only occasionally, and also how you stopped taking the drugs a year ago.  Thanks.

Are you taking either Fish oil or Magnesium?  Many people find them useful during withdrawal.  And in terms of managing depression there are many ideas here: 

Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

I know it's really hard when withdrawal keeps on going for so long - when you feel like you've already dug really deep and tried so hard.  So I want to reassure you that if you keep going, you will continue to find what you need to get you through this.  Do you have any self-care things in place - maybe meditation, gentle exercise, dietary things? 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back George,

I'm sorry you're still not feeling recovered, some people can take quite a long time to recover from the effects of taking psych drugs and stopping them too fast.

Its good that your anxiety has decreased.

When you say you are now feeling depressed, could you explain a bit more about that. Depression can mean different things to different people. Also, is there a pattern to your symptoms, like do you feel worse at certain times of the day?

Are you taking any medications at all now? Do you still take clonazepam occasionally?

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome back George - it's been a while. 

What would be most helpful as we start to help you again is filling out a signature – drugs/dates/dosages etc - so we can see your situation easily whenever you post.  Include everything you've taken in the last few years or are taking now, even if it's only occasionally, and also how you stopped taking the drugs a year ago.  Thanks.

Are you taking either Fish oil or Magnesium?  Many people find them useful during withdrawal.  And in terms of managing depression there are many ideas here: 

Non-Drug Techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

I know it's really hard when withdrawal keeps on going for so long - when you feel like you've already dug really deep and tried so hard.  So I want to reassure you that if you keep going, you will continue to find what you need to get you through this.  Do you have any self-care things in place - maybe meditation, gentle exercise, dietary things? 

Karen

Thanks for the reply Karen.The most drugs drugs i stopped them cold turkey or very fast.I am not on drugs since 5 April 2015!

I tried for a while fish oil and magnesium but i didn't feel any change.I have psychotherapy for 8-9 months now but for me it didn't help i don't know!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2012 stopped seroxat(cold turkey) because of feeling perfect but after 2 months the panic attacks and other symptoms started again

Reinstated seroxat on 60mg but no effect (depression induced,low mood,and many other side effects)

2013-2014 Anafranil 100mg (tricyclic) 5-6 months feeling good but after that not feeling very good

Add maprotiline 50mg (tetracyclic) some improvement but i stopped maprotiline because i didn't want to be on cocktail

2015 April  meds free

George, I am half way coming off Anafranil (Clomipramine) I have tried to come off it faster before, which resulted in a complete physical and mental breakdown for me. Now I am doing it much slower. It is a complex drug which affects every part of the nervous system. I think you are amazing that you have come off it completley, but sadly, probably your new symptoms are as a result of the quick withdrawl. Hang in there and keep in touch. There are far more experienced people on the site who can give you a lot of advice. (PS. All the symptoms you have talked about I have experienced especially when I came off quickly)

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

Welcome back George,

I'm sorry you're still not feeling recovered, some people can take quite a long time to recover from the effects of taking psych drugs and stopping them too fast.

Its good that your anxiety has decreased.

When you say you are now feeling depressed, could you explain a bit more about that. Depression can mean different things to different people. Also, is there a pattern to your symptoms, like do you feel worse at certain times of the day?

Are you taking any medications at all now? Do you still take clonazepam occasionally?

Petunia.

Hi Petunia, its a bit difficult to explain what i feel.I wake up in the morning and i feel no energy,low mood and maybe little anxiety.At various time of the day i feel worse and other time little bit better(maybe for some minutes).I have no desire to do anything but i do everything against what i feel.I do not enjoy anything from long ago but i hold there!I feel everything it rotates in a circle!I feel oppression in the head.A few months ago i had more anxiety and less depression.For example i had anxiety for 3-4 days or more(feeling on edge and want to stay all the day outside the house and do something all the time) and then i have 1 day with less anxiety and more depression and then again the same like a circle.The last time i feel less anxiety and more like depression,i don't have energy,motivation....

I feel worse at night from what i see.I'am not taking any med's since 5 April 2015.I'am not taking clonazepam too since then 5 April!I threw it!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

George, I am half way coming off Anafranil (Clomipramine) I have tried to come off it faster before, which resulted in a complete physical and mental breakdown for me. Now I am doing it much slower. It is a complex drug which affects every part of the nervous system. I think you are amazing that you have come off it completley, but sadly, probably your new symptoms are as a result of the quick withdrawl. Hang in there and keep in touch. There are far more experienced people on the site who can give you a lot of advice. (PS. All the symptoms you have talked about I have experienced especially when I came off quickly)

Thanks for reply Alia!I wonder if my depression is from the med's or it is my condition!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for explaining more about how you are feeling. It sounds like you are going through the windows and waves pattern of recovery. Although at the moment your windows are only lasting for a few minutes, which is good, it means you are starting to heal.

You have only been drug free for just over a year, many people here are still not feeling well a year after a going cold turkey off drugs. I've had the same pattern as you. I feel more anxiety for a few days and then I kind of crash into depression type symptoms. I was going through this pattern most of last year. But then I had some weeks of really good windows where I felt completely healed. Then I went back to the symptoms again.

Most of this year so far I've had high anxiety, but for the last 2 weeks I've felt a little bit better without the depression. This is what recovery is like, lots of changing patterns of symptoms in a windows and waves cycle. I also stopped several drugs too fast and I'm going through this recovery process. We get better in time, but it can take quite a long time for some people. The important thing is not to take any more drugs and to live a healthy life getting plenty of sleep, good food and some gentle exercise and in time we start to feel better.

It can take a long time to heal from the effects of these drugs because they change the way the brain and nervous system work and everything has to change back to the way it was before. When we are feeling symptoms, that's a sign that our nervous system is working hard to make some of those changes.

Here is something written by Rhi, one of our moderators which explains it better than I can.

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

and here are some videos which also explains how recovery happens: 

You wrote that you are wondering if your depression is from meds or your condition. If you didn't have depression before you started taking drugs, then its most likely being caused by drug effects and will improve as you continue to recover. I didn't have depression before I took antidepressants for my anxiety, but the drugs caused me to feel very unhappy, sad and unmotivated. I lost all my energy and motivation for life. I have  been feeling like this in cycles as I'm recovering, its part of the process for some people and will go away in time.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thank you for explaining more about how you are feeling. It sounds like you are going through the windows and waves pattern of recovery. Although at the moment your windows are only lasting for a few minutes, which is good, it means you are starting to heal.

You have only been drug free for just over a year, many people here are still not feeling well a year after a going cold turkey off drugs. I've had the same pattern as you. I feel more anxiety for a few days and then I kind of crash into depression type symptoms. I was going through this pattern most of last year. But then I had some weeks of really good windows where I felt completely healed. Then I went back to the symptoms again.

Most of this year so far I've had high anxiety, but for the last 2 weeks I've felt a little bit better without the depression. This is what recovery is like, lots of changing patterns of symptoms in a windows and waves cycle. I also stopped several drugs too fast and I'm going through this recovery process. We get better in time, but it can take quite a long time for some people. The important thing is not to take any more drugs and to live a healthy life getting plenty of sleep, good food and some gentle exercise and in time we start to feel better.

It can take a long time to heal from the effects of these drugs because they change the way the brain and nervous system work and everything has to change back to the way it was before. When we are feeling symptoms, that's a sign that our nervous system is working hard to make some of those changes.

Here is something written by Rhi, one of our moderators which explains it better than I can.

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

and here are some videos which also explains how recovery happens: 

You wrote that you are wondering if your depression is from meds or your condition. If you didn't have depression before you started taking drugs, then its most likely being caused by drug effects and will improve as you continue to recover. I didn't have depression before I took antidepressants for my anxiety, but the drugs caused me to feel very unhappy, sad and unmotivated. I lost all my energy and motivation for life. I have  been feeling like this in cycles as I'm recovering, its part of the process for some people and will go away in time.

Thanks very much for your reply!I forgot to write that i feel also very tired,sleepiness and (slightly irritable sometimes)

My psychotherapist says following-->panic attacks-->high serotonin then the high adrenaline depletes serotonin then depression occurs where there are no signs of panic!!Depression in this case is an evolutionary mechanism made to deal with the panic-Then follows a period of time which serotonin it rises and adrenaline falls and the condition is normalised.

Antidepressants prevent this cycle, and do not allow serotonin fall and they make endless crises!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

I too have this thought...is it me or is it the medicines? I have a tendancy towards depression, but beleive me, the symptoms of coming off this drug are just what you are describing. And you idd come off really fast. So...there has to be a large element of withdrawl in there. Hang in there.

Chronic severe nerve pain and depression since 1984 (due to a motor vehicle accident and spinal injuries)  Due to long tern pain was on Morphine, Neurontin, Codeine, Valium . Off these meds altho occasional codeine.  Since 2002 Serequel for Insomnia. 25mg.  15 yrs on Clomipramine/tri-cyclic a/d.  Aug 2015. 100mg cut to 95mg. Late aug 95-90mg. Sept 1st, 90mg to 85mg. Sept 14.85mg to 80mg. October 1st , 80 to 75mg. Oct 15; 75 to 70.  Nov 1st ; 70mg-65mg.  Nov14: 65 to 60mg. 60mg. December ..break. Jan2016. 60mg to 55mg. Symptoms began: very sleepy, achy, light headed, dizzy, increased pain, numb, depressed..  Jan 30/ 55 to 50mg. Symptoms/ extreme tiredness. blurry vision and inaccurate vision, painful and itchy eyes, depression, insomnia, flu like symptoms. achy/ sweating/ relationship issues. work issues. Feb 10th. Back up to 55mg. Withdrawl symptoms subsided. March 10: 55 to 50mg. withdrawl ok. April 12 Seroquel 21mg May 12 Seroquel 17mg. Nov severe depression went up to 75mg Anti dep.  Jan 2017, diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and prescribed 60mg Epilim. Instant relief. March Doc suggested slow decrease of anti dep so from 75 to 70, March 17, 2017.

What do you think about this?

My psychotherapist says following-->panic attacks-->high serotonin then the high adrenaline depletes serotonin then depression occurs where there are no signs of panic!!Depression in this case is an evolutionary mechanism made to deal with the panic-Then follows a period of time which serotonin it rises and adrenaline falls and the condition is normalised.

Antidepressants prevent this cycle, and do not allow serotonin fall and they make endless crises!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

This is an interesting theory, but its just a theory. There are no studies to show what's going on with neurotransmitters in a human brain during anxiety, panic or depression. Different people react differently to the various antidepressants, some become more anxious, some less, some people become more depressed when taking a serotonin increasing drug which is supposed to reduce depression. There is much more going on than fluctuating levels of serotonin. The human brain is very complex and we understand very little about how it actually functions.

The prescribing of psychiatric drugs are just ongoing experiments based on no real science, with the hope that something eventually 'works' to make the inconvenient and difficult feelings and behaviors go away.  If you want to learn the truth about how these drugs were developed and what they actually do I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.  Maybe you could show it to your psychotherapist.

How are you feeling now George?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

This is an interesting theory, but its just a theory. There are no studies to show what's going on with neurotransmitters in a human brain during anxiety, panic or depression. Different people react differently to the various antidepressants, some become more anxious, some less, some people become more depressed when taking a serotonin increasing drug which is supposed to reduce depression. There is much more going on than fluctuating levels of serotonin. The human brain is very complex and we understand very little about how it actually functions.

The prescribing of psychiatric drugs are just ongoing experiments based on no real science, with the hope that something eventually 'works' to make the inconvenient and difficult feelings and behaviors go away.  If you want to learn the truth about how these drugs were developed and what they actually do I'd highly recommend reading Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker.  Maybe you could show it to your psychotherapist.

How are you feeling now George?

Thanks for your reply Petunia!How i am feeling now?Thanks for asking!!Every day is different!Some days i feel bad and some days i feel better but i am not feeling fully good!Everything it rotates in a circle!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• 3 weeks later...

Most of people said that the worst of the withdrawal is the first 9-10 months after med's stopped!Then the most people start to have windows!I'am 1 year and 2 months almost without drugs and i don't have any windows,but only waves!!I'am getting worse with time!!One day i'am extremely anxious,the other day depressed!Other time i switch from anxiety to depression for a couple of hours!!I can't understand this!!!If this is a withdrawal where are the windows??

Why i'am getting worse??Maybe is not a withdrawal??

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Hi George.  This process is different for everyone, and each is on their own timeline.  There are so many factors that can impact on our recovery time. Each of us has our own level of stress, and what we can deal with during this time.  There is so much going on , in terms of building a new brain that it is disconcerting and unfathomable , at the same time. The wonder of it is that , we can re- build and re- mould our brains and nervous systems, but it can take some time.

It has taken you approximately six years to get to this point .  It could possibly take a little longer than 14 months to recover.  Perhaps, have a read of  " Symptoms & Self- Care" , and see what you can take away from there for your own self- care. It is a mine of information, and a great resource. There are a lot of great ideas to help in your recovery. Have a look at some of the meditation and yoga threads, particularly the guided meditations.  This will help you to manage some of your anxiety, therefore lessening the need for drugs, and possibly opening up a world of natural alternatives, that will give you a great  base to work from , for a drug- free future.

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,i'am almost 2 years without med's.I can say that my situation is getting worse and not better!I don't know if is withdrawal anymore!I started thinking that i may have bipolar disorder i don't know..I had only anxiety but now i have and depression and its getting worse!

Sometimes i feel tired but at the same time my brain is wired and i feel need to go outside and not stay at home.I don't like to stay at home i don't know why!My vision is getting very strange only at night maybe is dr/dp i am not sure because is not the same dp/dr like i had before years,its like i have a tension in my eyes, alert and inner tension in my body, its very hard to explain it sorry...I also seeing spinning wheels in my peripheral vision at night for some hours.

The last month iam getting mixed depression and anxiety at the same time for couple of hours and i feel inner emotional painMaybe these symptoms are sign of bipolar i dont know anymore........Everyday is different!One day i feel wired brain,anxious and want to be outside all the day and do all my tasks ,other day i feel more depressed and less anxious....... My worse times are at nights.Sometimes also i feel inner tension in my legs when my brain is wired.I never feel normal!!Is this anxiety,depression or bipolar???

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

George11 -- sorry to read that you're still dealing with difficult symptoms that don't seem to have diminished. 

About whether it's withdrawal or an underlying condition, the following topics may be helpful:

Withdrawal or relapse?

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms

It's discouraging when symptoms continue for 2 years. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was some way out of the suffering other than time? Other people have gone through this and come out the other side feeling well and whole again. You will too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks scallywag for your reply, i think that for 2 years I had to have some improvement and not getting worse i don't know what to think now!Everyday is different,one day depression,the other anxiety i don't know what to expect.......

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,i'am almost 2 years without med's.I can say that my situation is getting worse and not better!I don't know if is withdrawal anymore!I started thinking that i may have bipolar disorder i don't know..I had only anxiety but now i have and depression and its getting worse!

Sometimes i feel tired but at the same time my brain is wired and i feel need to go outside and not stay at home.I don't like to stay at home i don't know why!My vision is getting very strange only at night maybe is dr/dp i am not sure because is not the same dp/dr like i had before years,its like i have a tension in my eyes, alert and inner tension in my body, its very hard to explain it sorry...I also seeing spinning wheels in my peripheral vision at night for some hours.

The last month iam getting mixed depression and anxiety at the same time for couple of hours and i feel inner emotional painMaybe these symptoms are sign of bipolar i dont know anymore........Everyday is different!One day i feel wired brain,anxious and want to be outside all the day and do all my tasks ,other day i feel more depressed and less anxious....... My worse times are at nights.Sometimes also i feel inner tension in my legs when my brain is wired.I never feel normal!!Is this anxiety,depression or bipolar???

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I had psychotherapy for 1 year but didn't help.....

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

ok, please have a look at the topics to which I posted links. Which of the techniques posted in those topics will you try?

scallywag's Introduction

I don't know there are to many!Can you suggest me something?

Thanks in advance!

There is something that i can't understand!Every day my depression is different!Sometimes is mild and sometimes is hard like now..I can't understand this......

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

George.  This still sounds like the usual windows and waves pattern of withdrawal and recovery.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

I'm nearly three years without meds and I have windows of feeling normal but also many waves where I experience symptoms similar to yours. It is the way the body is healing and trying to reach a state of homeostasis.

I would go back and read the links to the topics posted above and find a few techniques like perhaps meditation that can help you get through the times of extreme distress.

We all have different timelines for healing and much as we would like it to end now , we can't make the process any shorter unfortunately. It is what it is and accepting that can help to relieve the stress . It is a better alternative than continually questioning your recovery.

The Claire Weekes method has helped many with anxiety - maybe you could familiarize yourself with it to not only help now but in the future also. It's a great tool to help manage everyday life and its' stresses.

Let us know how this and the meditation helps.  :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks AliG for your reply!My worst problem is the depression,it's getting worse all the time...I can say that my anxiety is less now!

Where can i find Caire Weekes method and how to learn to have meditation?

Thanks in advance!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Mentor

Thanks AliG for your reply!My worst problem is the depression,it's getting worse all the time...I can say that my anxiety is less now!

Thanks in advance!

http://www.anxietycoach.com/claire-weekes.html

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thanks in advance!

http://www.anxietycoach.com/claire-weekes.html

Thanks catnapt

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

Hi everyone i experience alternating bouts of anxiety and depression and sometimes both anxiety and depression at the same time.Does anyone else experience the same?

Is this a sign of bipolar?

Thanks in advance!!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

You've been drug free for 2 years.  If you read around the site you will find others who have been getting withdrawal symptoms for many years after stopping the drug/s.

Are you drinking caffeine or alcohol?  Are you experiencing external stressors?  These can all trigger withdrawal symptoms.  Are you taking any supplements?  Antibiotics?  Sometimes these can cause issues.  Even something that you have taken in the past and it worked can turn paradoxical and become a problem because your CNS has become sensitised.  Some people find that certain foods can be a trigger.

Do you Keep Notes on Paper & Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress.  Doing this may help you to see a pattern or pinpoint what may be contributing to it.

From What is Happening in Your Brain:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR streel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 
And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the buiding is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes. smiley.gif

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

And I really like the Rubik's cube analogy.  I've managed to solve the Rubik's cube with the help of a Youtube video.  You get it so that there are only a couple of colours not in the correct place.  To somebody watching the last couple being put into place it looks like you are scrambling the whole thing up completely and will have to start again, but just when it looks like you've messed it up, a few more moves and it is suddenly complete.

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks for reply chessieCat!I really appreciate your help!!

Iam drinking and coffee and alcohol yes because of my work and my situation sometimes!Iam professional singer and i have stage performance anxiety this is why i am drinking alcohol!!Iam not take any antibiotics or supplements but i took some magnesium and omega-3 without any success!Is this a wave that i have at this moment?I don't want to start the meds again but i am afraid these

alternating bouts of anxiety and depression to not be a bipolar disorder!!!!

Is the alterating bouts of anxiety and depression normal to have them???

Thanks in advance!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

• Moderator Emeritus

Well the first thing I would be doing is to eliminate the alcohol and the caffeine.  They both known for causing issues, even when someone isn't in withdrawal.

Secondly, I would be learning non drug techniques for dealing with the anxiety.  There are many ways to do this.  But you may need to try different things to find the one/s that work for you.  And it means doing them at least a few times to give it a chance to see if they work, unless you can tell straight away that they cause more stress.

I found that learning and understanding the changes that happened in my body when I started to become anxious has helped me immensely.  Recognising the first signs means that I can do my controlled and concentrated deep breathing and settle myself, and self talk telling myself that I know what it happening and I am safe, whereas before I didn't understand what was happening and I would feel sick in my stomach, I would start breathing quickly and shallowly and if that kept going I would end up in a sobbing heap.  This was because I became scared of the physical signs and would have a full on panic attack.

Claire Weekes Is excellent.  The term "nervous illness" is the old fashioned term for anxiety disorder. The “Claire Weekes” Approach to Anxiety

• Moderator Emeritus

Mod JanCarol says that the legs up the wall yoga position is good for anxiety.  Yoga for calming (very simple poses can help greatly)

And I've just read this post:

I've been doing yoga off and on for maybe 30 years, but all I can do now is the gentlest of poses, like the feet up the wall pose, which does wonders for anxiety.  Any kind of strenuous exercise gets me agitated.

Thanks for reply chessieCat!

Over the year i think that i have learned a little to calm the anxiety with deep breathing and i don't have anymore panic attacks but only floating anxiety!I began to get used with the anxiety sort of but my main problem now is the depression!I feel that my depression is getting worse!What i see is that i have wave of intense depression that comes for some hours and then goes away!I can call it "depression attack".They can last anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, and then they suddenly vanish and return to mild depression!Is this normal to happening?Iam afraid that maybe is bipolar

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free

i experience alternating bouts of anxiety and depression and sometimes both anxiety and depression at the same time!One day i have more depression and the other day less depression and more anxiety,it's very strange!Every day is different!

I feel also that my depression is getting worse!What i see is that i have wave of intense depression that comes for some hours and then goes away!I can call it "depression attack".They can last anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, and then they suddenly vanish and return to mild depression!Is this normal to happening?Iam afraid that maybe is bipolar??

Thanks in advance!

2010-2012 seroxat 20mg 

2015 April  meds free