SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Anxiety or panic attacks occurring during taper

Phil

Hi guys.

Im wondering who goes through "cycles" of anxiety and depression during w/d and how each affects you.

I've found that I tend to go through both while tapering, and the worst ones are the depression cycles (because i ruminate like mad, and feel almost paralyzed).

The anxiety cycles however dont seem quite so bad, at least when Im at home by myself. I at least have some form of "energy".

I hate waking up in the morning with that horrible feeling in the stomach though, its almost like a pure terror for no reason. This morning I woke up about 6amish, and could hear a lot of shouting and swearing outside, I think someone was having a domestic argument. Normally I would ignore it, but I felt irationally scared because of it.

Is anyone else here like this?

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Hi Phil -- the early morning waking with anxiety is so, so common in recovery from these meds.

With regard to the depression / anxiety cycles, it varies. Some people have only anxiety, some only depression, some a simultaneous mix of the two, some cycle between them.

Another frequently observed phenomenon is emotional / physical cycles. Some people have more emotional symptoms, some have more physical symptoms. Some have both together, and some alternate between them.

Then! Whatever your pattern is, it might change.

I have seen many people go through severe post-meds anxiety and depression and then it really came to an end.

Try to keep in mind when you're going through the depressions that "it's a feeling, not a fact." It's your brain healing. It doesn't mean what it appears to mean. It's not an accurate assessment of your life. And it *will* pass.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

In my own experience, I felt these neuro-emotions (© Healing) as surges or waves. They'd come out of the blue, be very intense, and last from a few minutes to a few hours then, strangely, I'd feel emotionally calm, as though nothing had happened.

I believe they are sporadic releases of neurohormones as the nervous system, somewhat spastically, tries to correct itself.

For the early morning anxiety, which my guess is an exaggeration of the normal cortisol peak at dawn, I suggest darkening your bedroom to reduce that early morning light, which triggers cortisol release. Use blackout shades, blackout curtains, and a sleep mask.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi guys.

Im wondering who goes through "cycles" of anxiety and depression during w/d and how each affects you.

I go through these cycles or "waves." I get irritable, don't want to be touched, can't think rationally, and just want to hole up in my bedroom away from everyone else. I also get anxiety during these waves and have trouble taking a deep breath. They last at least one day, up to a week and a half and they come out of the blue. Then it all just kind of lifts. My husband has a really difficult time while I'm having one of my episodes so I have to do a lot of damage control when I come out of it. I've been having these waves since I got off ssri's three years ago, but as I progress, they are shorter in length and there are longer periods of time in between, thankfully.

Up until recently, I would try to figure out what was triggering them, but there seems to be no explanation other than my brain/CNS trying to right itself from the damage caused by taking those f***ing drugs.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

Hey, Phil! This changing pattern is an intrisic characteristic of WD. The more time passes, the less intense (on average) it will be getting. You wrote "This morning I woke up about 6amish, and could hear a lot of shouting and swearing outside, I think someone was having a domestic argument. Normally I would ignore it, but I felt irationally scared because of it." It's PERFECTLY normal in WD.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

For me the key to dealing with waves is to make a conscious effort to remember that's what they are - waves. And consciously remind myself they'll go away soon.

Not as easy as it sounds, I know. But it makes a big difference.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Thanks so much for the replies guys, it helps me feel less crazy about all of this.

I can relate almost on every level. The strange thing is that I was suffering these problems for a long time before I even went on Lexapro, due to cold-turkeying off other SSRIs when I was younger. Back then of course I blamed myself. It's such a relief to know it's normal.

Patience - I know what you mean, I'm having one of those days today where I just want to be alone. I had been to the supermarkert with my friend earlier and it was just too much for me, I couldnt think straight at all.

What upsets me most is when I feel like Ive lost all self control and ability to make decisions. When I'm like that, I cant even think what to buy when I go shoppping, I have this little internal debate "should i buy it, do i want it?" and then I think just put it in your basket!"

When Im like that I also become robotic - I think its kinda like depersonalization.

Anyway thanks for the support guys, I'm glad to know these experiences are normal for w/d.

Also thanks for the tip Altostrata - I think I'll have a look for an eye mask for when I sleep. I actually have to sleep almost face down under the covers at the moment.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Hi Phil,

Thankyou so much for starting this thread, and patience, how i could have written that post of yours.

I was seriously worried as im not the type to suffer with depression to be honest, but yesterday was just awful.

I woke early with that doom feeling hanging over me, and i just didnt feel right, then the intense crying started, the thoughts of " i cant do this anymore" and " my life isnt worth living anymore", then i become irritable and frustrated and agitated with myself because i just cannot snap out of it, and although i know my thoughts are irrational i cant change them when im in that funk, then the anxiety started. for me, this lasted all day, right up until i went to bed, although i spent all morning in my room, as i tend to hole myself away when im feeling like this, as i dont want my husband or son to have to suffer along with me, its awful, as i also suffer bouts of fatigue and find myself unmotivated. Most days since off paxil, its taken me most of the morning to just get out of bed and do something, and i so hate this, as its just not me at all.

Today, well yes it has been better, although i still have the low motivation, i have had zero depression and maybe just a few tears this morning. So glad today has been better, as ive got now, that on a better day i dread going to bed as i dont know what the next day will bring, and i hate waking up for the same reason.

So can someone tell me, do these " episodes " suggest wd or is it more a depression that needs treatment, as when i get like this, my life really does suck, and days like yesterday dont seem worth getting out of bed for in all honesty.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

hello fellow survivors

A week into a reduction i need some strategies to deal with anxiety - the type that gnaws and churns in your gut and then is exacerbated by more intense waves. After a night of it i feel unrested and yuk - it's hard to sit still, hard to do anything, hard to concentrate on reading or on watching TV - got a ton of stuff to do and can't really do anything. Have done a little meditation which helps for a minute or two afterwards, but that is even hard.

Thanks

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I found that Inositol helped for a little while. You can take up to 24,000 of it a day. I would put some in a water bottle and drink it throughout the day. It is not doing the trick for me anymore but it might be worth a try.

Tapered off Cymbalta 30mg., Oxycodone, Klonopin 4mg. down to .25 mg a day. Previously on multiple ssri's, snri's, lithium, anti-seizure drugs. Medicated for 25 years for depression, which changed to bi-polar after start of anti-depressants. Suffering anxiety since starting the TrueHope program, tapered off drugs in less than a month...too quickly. On long term disability for several years now. Hyper-Sensitive to most drugs and vitamins.

• Moderator Emeritus

I used to get this chronically when I'd cold turkey'd or withdrawn too fast, so my first thought is, have you reduced too much too fast?

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Hi, Peggy,

How much was that drop (reduction) a week ago?

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Peggy....while I was tapering Lexapro I mixed cal/mag citrate into my ice tea and for me it immediately soothed anxiety. It can cause diarrhea.

Alto suggests the Magnesium tablets in small amounts,gradually increasing the dose.

I have taken Propanolol which is Beta Blocker and it works very well. Non-addictive.

And of course there are the benzos which can lead to trouble if over used.

I have tried Bach Flowers - Rescue Remedy and it didn't do much for me.

When anxiety creeps up and you are home, take a shower right away. It will stop the anxiety.

The type of anxiety you are talking about it awful, been there many times.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Since you are feeling anxiety of the gut churning variety, another thing you might look into is the gut's nervous system (the enteric nervous system). I find that the GAPS diet, or my rather approximate version of it, has helped reduce that gut-churning kind of anxiety for me.

I'm not getting as many urgent intense alarm signals from my gut's nervous system to my brain via the vagal nerve. When I go off the diet for a while (like when I travel) I start getting those intense gut-churning alarms again.

I'm not saying it's diet that's primarily suddenly causing this anxiety--I'm certain it's withdrawal--but the gut's nervous system is regulated by the same neurotransmitters that are everywhere else, and the drugs affect them everywhere, in the brain and in the gut as well. And the gut's nervous system is bigger than any other part of your nervous system except your brain. It's actually really important.

In my case I've found the GAPS diet has settled that down a lot. I think it does so by regulating intestinal flora, which recent research is showing interact with the nervous system a lot. But who knows. I just know that for me it helps.

Some people find that eliminating gluten or dairy is what helps them most.

So, something to think about. It turns out that the gut is very literally the source of a lot of our feelings.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

thanks for those tips

i think i did reduce too much too fast, i thought i was going slow - had planned to do 5% drops every week - but as i got lower, my calculations screwed up and i did 2 10% drops a week apart, so i updosed again to get on top.

I am really hoping that next time i get down lower (and go slower) i don't get anxiety - i have such a low tolerance for this symptom - i seem to be able to handle other stuff much better.

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what you're tapering off, but I tried reducing weekly a few years ago and failed miserably, I am very sensitive to withdrawal, but this link shows the timeline I am on which seems to have worked for me, I reduce by no more than 10% with gaps of anything between 5 weeks and a few months if I'm going through a stressful time:

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.co.uk/p/prozac-reduction-timeline.html

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Gelsemium or Stramonium 30C dose Homeopathy helps with anxiety. You can get these at most health food stores.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what you're tapering off, but I tried reducing weekly a few years ago and failed miserably, I am very sensitive to withdrawal, but this link shows the timeline I am on which seems to have worked for me, I reduce by no more than 10% with gaps of anything between 5 weeks and a few months if I'm going through a stressful time:

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.co.uk/p/prozac-reduction-timeline.html

thanks Strawberry - i am tapering effexor..i have been on and off for 12 years - your story resonates with me - feeling GREAT.. coming off quickly and then BANG - it's back 3 x worse than before...

this is the second time i have had to updose after dropping a bit too quickly - i think i must be a very slow learner!!! When i am well, I just can't accept that i could fail again... and then, when i have done it again, i go through the 'i wish i hadn't done that, why am i so stupid, when will i learn' and also think i can't possibly ever be better again.

I applaud your ability to ride out the anxiety you have felt during your withdrawals - maybe it has been low enough to fight going up? I am wondering if i will ever be able to do that.

• Moderator Emeritus

Gelsemium or Stramonium 30C dose Homeopathy helps with anxiety. You can get these at most health food stores.

thanks Shanti - i will look out for these

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy, could you do what I did and slow it right down to stupid slow?

• Moderator Emeritus

When i am well, I just can't accept that i could fail again... and then, when i have done it again, i go through the 'i wish i hadn't done that, why am i so stupid, when will i learn' and also think i can't possibly ever be better again.

I can totally relate to this! I think after two and a half years of practice now I'm starting to get better about it. Hope so. Not sure. I can get very impatient and cut too much too fast. Then I always remember "oh yeah! this is not such a great idea."

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy, could you do what I did and slow it right down to stupid slow?

yes, that's my plan! I am currently on 37.5 - still a bit wobbly, but once i stabilise i will resume at a slower pace - i don't know if i have the patience to do 4 years though!

• Moderator Emeritus

When i am well, I just can't accept that i could fail again... and then, when i have done it again, i go through the 'i wish i hadn't done that, why am i so stupid, when will i learn' and also think i can't possibly ever be better again.

I can totally relate to this! I think after two and a half years of practice now I'm starting to get better about it. Hope so. Not sure. I can get very impatient and cut too much too fast. Then I always remember "oh yeah! this is not such a great idea."

I am glad there is someone else out there as silly as me!

• Moderator Emeritus

You have to get your head right and think "more haste less speed", you can go round and round in circles for years and years and keep failing and back to square one, or you can grit your teeth and make yourself go slow, enjoy your life and smell the roses while you're doing it :)

I try and think of the story of the tortoise and the hare.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh wow I just made silver star status :rolleyes:

• Moderator Emeritus

You have to get your head right and think "more haste less speed", you can go round and round in circles for years and years and keep failing and back to square one, or you can grit your teeth and make yourself go slow, enjoy your life and smell the roses while you're doing it :)

I try and think of the story of the tortoise and the hare.

that is going to be my motto going forward

• Moderator Emeritus
:)

• 2 weeks later...

I was feeling good after a fairly slow taper. I am now off of Cymbalta for 39 days I have tapered since February until July 1st. Well the anxiety starts in the morning when I wake (that gut churning type). I have a balance issue for years that I can't get under wraps it seems to have worsened since I stopped the Cymbalta. I am taking 1/2 of a Klonipin in the morning .5mg and 1/4 at night. I sleep well right through the night.

• 5 months later...

How do you deal with the constant anxiety. I don't think it will ever go away. My job is extrememly stressful and I cannot quit. We need my money to live. when I started AD I used to get a feeling on my right arm the outside of my arm felt like iw was wet. I would check to see if I forgot to dry it after the shower then realized it was anxiety. I am off AD, and I will not go back on them. They caused my so much anxitey but it seems like the same symptoms I had when I started them are the same symptoms and worse coming off them. I really don't feel like i will ever feel normal again ever.

Lexapro 20 mg.since Aug 2009

Lamotrigine -100 mg. sept. 2009

Seroquel-50 mg.

down from 100 for 6 months.

Been going off and on lexapro since October 2012

off and on Lamotrigine since October 2012.

Incidentally, massive headaches and monthly vomiting has ceased

since October 2012.

So right now no lexapro since Dec. 28th after only taking 15 tables from Nov.12-to Dec.28,2012.

No lamotrigine since mid October 2012.

50 MG. seroquel at bedtime since June 2012.

• Moderator Emeritus

i find exercise to be a great help for anxiety - 30mins running and i feel a real reduction in symptoms - sometimes i feel if i could keep running all day i would be ok - of course, that is not possible!

• Administrator

linda, I merged your new topic with a pre-existing one.

One thing we find when we're going through this is we have to focus on taking care of ourselves. Some of us find we need to value our own well-being more.

Don't sacrifice your equilibrium. Work on protecting your nervous system. Make lifestyle and diet changes if you need to. If your job is stressful, think about ways to make it less stressful.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 years later...

Did people in general notice it lessened as i tapered lower??

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

• 8 months later...
On 14.3.2017 at 11:23 AM, george11 said:

i experience alternating bouts of anxiety and depression and sometimes both anxiety and depression at the same time!One day i have more depression and the other day less depression and more anxiety,it's very strange!Every day is different!

I feel also that my depression is getting worse!What i see is that i have wave of intense depression that comes for some hours and then goes away!I can call it "depression attack".They can last anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, and then they suddenly vanish and return to mild depression!Is this normal to happening?Iam afraid that maybe is bipolar??

Thanks in advance!

I think the easiest way to answer you question about this "being normal" or maybe being bipolar is: Have you experienced this before taking medication or not? If you have not, or way less intense- then it is wirhdrawal. If it is just the way it was before you started taking meds it might be your original condition but even then it is your choice what do to with it. I for example have always been a very sensitive person and I always have reacted to stress with being emotional, getting the blues or a little anxiety, but never ever in that intensity as withdrawal hit me with. I'll gladly take everything I had before meds as part of me for the rest of my life and get rid of withdrawal symptoms instead. Personally I know- I will never be totally free of a ... let's say.. more intense experience of emotions in life. But I am pretty sure that I'll never ever let a psychiatrist - or worse, a GP- put a lable on me again. 

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

• Altostrata changed the title to Anxiety or panic attacks occurring during taper

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy