If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Maresat: Gabapentin and very difficult Valium taper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maresat

Maresat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Moderator Note: Link to Maresat's benzo thread

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:08 PM
Hi , I'm new here .... I've read a lot of posts and found some great advice and wisdom relative to WDs .

I started my Valium taper at 10 mgs June 2016 , after a very difficult cross from klonopin that was pretty horrific. I kinda wished I had been more informed and had tried tapering direct from klonopin , but I only knew the Ashton method at that point and thought it was the way to go. Anyway , since June , I don't know if I was ever really stable on the V. My nervous system was so messed up from the crossover, ( and I think from my steroid CT ) but I thought I could just go ahead and begin the V taper at the Ashton rate. After the first mg things got really bad. ( mostly bed bound, terrible burning flesh and skin, stomach pains , concrete head, memory issues, difficulty walking , zero stress tolerance, hypersensitivity to sound and more)
By September I had to hold my taper at 81/4 mgs V.
every time I have tried to cut the tiniest amount ( liquid MT), I get thrown back into crippling WDs . I am hypersensitive to everything , cannot work or even socialize in any way, a lot of pain and constant burning skin and flesh.
I hate how sedating the V is , I dose three times a day. Most of my symptoms are physical .
I have managed to get down almost to 8 mgs Since the end of September, just making little reductions here and there, but they always hit me really hard and take weeks to recover from.
I don't know how to proceed. It seems my only option is to keep holding and trying to cut little bits when I feel I can.
I was only on benzos daily for 6 months , and can't believe this is so hard.
Is anyone else THIS sensitive ?
I have reduced my gabapentin from 900 mgs to 415 mgs , I'm not absolutely sure when I started that , sometime in 2016. I have been advised that for now it would best to hold tapering the gabapentin , as even though I haven't felt any particular WDs from it , it could be influencing my Valium taper. I definitely feel the Valium cuts very specifically though.
I do want to get lower in dose on my Valium , that I feel is my first priority.

I haven't been non symptomatic since the start of this taper. I'd really like to find a way to taper where I can have a bit of a life while I do it.
I just wonder if anyone else has similar experience . I will feel 1/30th of a 1/4 mg cut of V! At this rate it would take me 6-8 years to come off.... i suppose I wouldn't mind if I can live a life in the meantime.
Thanks in advance for any experience or encouragement you may have.
Maresat

Ps , I couldn't fit my supplements in my sig, so here they are-
I do take magnesium in a liquid sea mineral form , and know to take it 2 hours away from gabapentin - about 100 mgs day
Milk thistle, biotin-1,000 mg, Pantethine-300 mg, ester c-100mg, krill oil-1000 mg,saffron-88 mgs, lactium-167 mgs, citicoline-300 mgs,niacinamide-500-1,000 mgs, l-lysine-500 mg, zinc piconolate-15 mg

Edited by Shep, 18 March 2017 - 01:59 PM.
added link to benzo thread

November 2014- steroids for adrenal I sufficiency(9 months up to 60 mg hydrocortisone)
Feb 2015 - 1 st Xanax for anxiety created by steroids ,1/8th mg Xanax occasional, 2.5 mg ambien night
6oo- 900 mg gabapentin for increased RLS ( have been on and off GP for maybe 15 yrs, mostly 100-300 mgs for RLS)
July 2015 - CT steroids after bad reaction to increased dose -WD's
Sept 2015- started daily benzos , Xanax 1/8-1/4 mg and Ativan .5 mg after life trauma along with steroid CT trauma
900 gabapentin nightly
Dec 2015- klonopin for panic attacks .5 mg , Dropped Ativan and ambien,.125-.25 mg Xanax plus .25 to .5 mg Klonopin
Jan 2016- dropped Xanax , discovered benzo WD hell!
Feb 2016- wanted off klonopin, tried micro taper, too sensitive to cuts and still discovering what my body can tolerate
Mar 16 to May'16- crossed to 10 mg Valium from .375 mg Klonopin
Mar 2017- 8.125 valium , 415mg gabapentin .Unable to taper Valium without severe symptoms ,10 months to drop not quite 2 mgs of V from 10 mg

#2 Shep

Shep

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hi, Maresat.

Thanks for starting a thread here on the main Intro thread.  I added a link to your benzo thread at the top of your first post so you can navigate easily back and forth. 

As I'm not very familiar with a lot of supplements, I can only give you some general recommendations. Hopefully, others will chime in and give you some more pointers.

We only recommend magnesium and fish oil, as they can be calming to the nervous system and many members report good results. However, as is the case with all supplements, please only add in one at a time and at a very low dose to see how you react.

This will give you more information on these two supplements:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

And some other general information:

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

And you can find more information by using the Search box or by Googling "surviving antidepressants" + "[name of supplement]."

Please continue to update. 

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#3 Maresat

Maresat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Thanks Shep..... Do I just update in this thread ? Or start new ones.....I imagine it's best to keep it in the same thread?
November 2014- steroids for adrenal I sufficiency(9 months up to 60 mg hydrocortisone)
Feb 2015 - 1 st Xanax for anxiety created by steroids ,1/8th mg Xanax occasional, 2.5 mg ambien night
6oo- 900 mg gabapentin for increased RLS ( have been on and off GP for maybe 15 yrs, mostly 100-300 mgs for RLS)
Sept 2015- started daily benzos , Xanax 1/8-1/4 mg and Ativan .5 mg after life trauma along with steroid CT trauma
900 gabapentin nightly
Dec 2015- klonopin for panic attacks .5 mg , Dropped Ativan and ambien,.125-.25 mg Xanax plus .25 to .5 mg Klonopin
Feb 2016- wanted off klonopin, tried micro taper, too sensitive to cuts and still discovering what my body can tolerate
Mar 2017- 8.125 valium , 415mg gabapentin .Unable to taper Valium without severe symptoms ,10 months to drop not quite 2 mgs of V from 10 mg

#4 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:01 AM

Maresat -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Post questions about gabapentin here in this topic and questions about valium in your benzo topic.

If you want to get fancy, you could put links to each in your signature by copying and pasting these links:
intro - gabapentin and valium taper topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5;
Current dose: 4.5 mg (42) 2017-Apr-14
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#5 Maresat

Maresat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Thank you scallywag, I'm still trying to find my way around the site.......I think for now I have a plan ..... Holding and stabilizing until hopefully my nervous system settles down .... It's not happy at the moment
900 gabapentin nightly

#6 NWGuy

NWGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Maresat,

Like you, I too am taking both a Benzo and Gabapentin and having a hard time tapering the Ativan right now.  For me, it's because I messed with my Gabapentin taper about seven weeks ago, removing a middle of the night dose after forgetting to take the Gabapentin one night.  I was originally taking 700 mg at bedtime and another 100-200 in the middle of the night when I would wake up.  I have now reinstated 150 mg in the early morning, but now instead of my body just expecting the Gabapentin at bedtime, it appears to be expecting it around the clock.  Since I'm only taking it at 10:30 and 5:00-6:00 AM, by the afternoon I am experiencing what I recognize as Gabapentin withdrawals (itching/prickly skin, anxiety). 

This has therefore stopped my Ativan taper for the time being while I try to figure out how to stabilize on the Gabapentin.  As I result, I can totally relate to your feeling of frustration at not making any progress in my taper(s).  Ideally I would like to go back to just taking Gabapentin at night, but feel like the ship has sailed on that.

When you have reduced your Gabapentin, are you just reducing at night?  I'm wondering if the Gabapentin reductions have made your CNS more sensitive, and thus have made it harder for you to taper the Valium.  Hard to say, I'm sure.

I wish you all the best.

NW Guy

.8 mg Ativan - since August, 2016.- feeling stable

Dosing 4x/day and have reduced .2 mg since August

850 mg Gabapentin/day - since October, 2016.

700 mg at 10:30 PM and 150 mg between 4:00-5:00 AM

Missed a bedtime dose (700 mg) on 1/28/17 and have been struggling to stabilize since.