If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

It's not depression - it's a messed-up family

narcissism suicide depression SAD zoloft wellbutrin prozac bulimia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KayPedia

KayPedia

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, CO

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTION OF SUICIDE ATTEMPT, EATING DISORDER

So I've been dealing with a lot of challenging information this week with regard to my mental health. 

In 2000, when I was 15, I attempted suicide. I'd had an aggressive eating disorder for about 2 years at this point - that continued until I was 24 or 25. My parents got me a little bit of counseling after the attempt, but they mostly swept it all under the rug. Then, in 2002, I had what they classified as another "depressive episode," which caused them to send me to a psychiatrist who prescribed antidepressants (Wellbutrin). No therapy support. I was away at college at this time.

I realized this week that I probably attempted suicide not because of my own horrific depression, but because of the experiences I had with narcissistic family members.

I don't think I'm that messed up. I think that I suffered some serious trauma in childhood that led me to some desperate acts because I was a kid and didn't know what else to do.

---

Instead of pushing for therapy and getting me better coping mechanisms, my parents took me as a minor and essentially forced meds down my throat. They told me I would never be able to function without medication because my depression was so severe. They also beat the idea that I had a neurochemical imbalance into my head as a child.

I'm seriously pissed about this.

---

What I'm trying to get at: I think it's possible that I'm not seriously mentally ill. In fact, I think it's possible that I'm not mentally ill. I think I was a teen trying to deal with a crappy home life, and it was easier to "check out" because I'd been intentionally isolated by my parents and couldn't talk to anyone about what was happening at home.

Yes, I engaged in some self-harm - but it was only because I couldn't find even a tiny bit of control in my life. I felt like a spectator watching my own existence float by because I wasn't empowered to make my own choices.

I was diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder in 2002. For some reason, the psych thought it was okay to put me on permanent medication, and no one else seemed to question this decision. Fifteen years later, I've been through a panel of psych meds from scores of docs. Some of those meds left me with horrifying side effects.

Frankly, I'm just angry.

• I'm angry that my family gets the convenient excuse of "Oh, you're mentally ill," any time I have a legitimate concern about our relationship. Everything can just be dismissed *poof* because "your perception of reality is distorted." That's the ultimate mechanism for gaslighting - a narcissist's DREAM.

• I'm angry that I've been medicated for nearly half my life because of this ongoing rhetoric that says I'm just not "good enough."

• I'm angry that I've allowed myself to be sedated and convinced that there is something deeply and fundamentally wrong with me ... when the medication just made me more convenient to deal with. They masked my feelings and led me to years of self-harm because I never dealt with the underlying cause.

• I'm angry that the meds made me manic and caused more problems for me in the long term.

What could I have done with 15 functional years? What damage has been done to my brain? Is this why I've found it impossible to build real relationships with other people and actually hold down a job?

I feel dismay and regret that I bought what everyone was "selling" and told myself that I was sick. I'm afraid to trust my own brain now, and that makes me even more upset. My world view is toppling, and I'm working through it with a counselor, but this just feels like betrayal from the people who should have been helping, not hurting.

---

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm seriously looking forward to getting opinions and input from everyone on this forum.

Wellbutrin XL 450 mg/day from 2002 - Feb. 2017

Zoloft 2016 - Feb. 2017

Prozac 2010 - 2012

Lamictal 2008 (?)

Provigil 2008

Ambien 2007 - 2009

Health issues including pulmonary embolism in 2016 - undiagnosed genetic clotting disorder combined with birth control. PCOS and hormonal imbalance leading to underlying health problems categorized as "depression."

#2 powerback

powerback

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Locationireland

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

HI Kaypedia, thanks for sharing your story . I really hope u can replace that anger u have for compassion for yourself some day,u never had a choice in how u were treated as a child.

I personally had nice decent parents but I've traced my own story back to a kid ,and i was heavily medicated since i was young (bad asmtha),(steriods/antibiotics).So i grew up believeing and trusting doctors.i can't blame my parents because they grew up in the same world as doctors know best.
Please give yourself time to process it all it takes time.In the future doctors and prescribers will have a lot to answer for but for know we take the power back and forge a path for our future.
Take care

21​/06/2012 citrol10mg for stress, constant urination ,diazepam 2mg 26/07/2012 .12/07/2012 citroll 20mg,

​24/09/2013 Lexapro 20mg.didnt take them for a week during this year felt extremely strange ,had no idea down to drugs at the time .

​20/10/2014 venlafaxine xl 75mg.09/01/2015 venlafaxine xl 37.5. questioned doctor about drop in dose ,I was told no problem.

​13/04/2015 venlafaxine xl 150mg NEVER TOOK THEM getting wise?.20/04/2015 venlafaxine xl 75mg.19/08/2015 Xanax 250mcg [agitated]

​10/06/2015 venlafaxine 37.5mg.02/03/2016 five beads out for taper only lasted till 06/06/2016 extreme irritability and anxiety. 

​11/11/2016 Xanax 250mcg took them for few days ,fairly distressing time [working nearly impossible].11/11/2016 I was given a prescription for  Zyprexa 2.5mg AND DECIDED  NOT TO GET IT FROM CHEMIST.[my doctor gave them a great sales pitch ,talking about other patients that have benefited ,in witch it just annoyed me ]

#3 hacilar

hacilar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hi Kay

You have every right to be angry.  Roll with it for awhile, feel it and sit with it.

Anger is just a 'feeling' and one of the things I've learned over my protracted journey with PAWS and misdiagnosis is, feelings pass.

Trust that some day you will have put enough distance between the horrid events of your life, and this moment.  Right now.  That's what is real.

You don't have to 'forgive' anyone.  You can make new rules and set boundaries, and learn to find joy in the small.

I circle round to being angry sometimes still, too.  But I've learned over these years not to let anyone else tell me what I should or should not be doing with *my* life.

Do you know about the Mad in America site?

21 years of various psych meds.

Currently experiencing 'withdrawal syndrome' from 14 years of 0.5mg Klonopin: 1 q hs

Tapered over a year and a half dry cutting.

Hx of Imipramine (nightmare) (1992) Zoloft,(1992) Paxil (difficult to d/c)(2000) Effexor(2004-5) (also very difficult to d/c) Lamictal(2004-6), Neurontin(2004-6), Depakote(2006-2012), Remeron(2007) Various sleeping pills at different times...

UPDATE

heading into 39 months off Klonopin (the last drug) and still very much symptomatic at this time

there have been windows, sometimes weeks of feeling 'almost normal' and the BLAM

windows and waves, indeed

#4 Marsha

Marsha

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:08 AM

Hi Kay. Believe me, I know was covert narcissistic abusers and their flying monkeys do to us unsuspecting victims. You are probably right that you are not mentally ill at all. Have you done any research on this insidious form of abuse? My covert narcissistic abuser almost cost me my life. But I managed to break free and take control of my life. You are not crazy and definitely not alone. Getting away from my abuser I have flourished. I still get angry at times but I know in time this and the disbelief will lessen in time. Keep reaching out and posting.
Hashimotos 1988 started on levothyroxine. .1994-2012 all the different kinds of antidepressants. 1997 xanax 1.5 klonopin 2006. Geodon started 2003 160 mgs. Many neuroleptics. Seems like l have been on everything. gabapentin 1800 mg 2013 librium 75 mg then 60mg 5/15 Tapered trazodone from October 2014 450 mgs to march 2015 0 mgs. Geodon reduced from 80 mg 8/2014 to 0 12/19/15. switched to 3 mgs of clonazepam 11/15. 12/16 2 mg clonazepam. Currently 1.88 mg clonazepam 845 mg gabapentin. 88 mcg levothyroxine 10 mcg liothyronine. Tapered prevacid 8/16 after 6 six years use. Supplements:D3 2000 iu. Digestive enzymes, probiotic. No gluten, sugar, dairy. Eating nutrient dense foods to promote healing. Gentle daily walks in the fresh air.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: narcissism, suicide, depression, SAD, zoloft, wellbutrin, prozac, bulimia