billybatts: Help with Neurontin/gabapentin

billybatts

Hello all - I am 1 month post taper of Klonopin. Took over 4 months liquid titration. 

I was given the neurontin to take to assist with the withdrawal process. I take anywhere between 300-900 mg every other day to every third day over the past 3 month. However, I think I am having a bad reaction. I feel suicidal and cry all the time. Since I was not taking alot and was not taking it every day, can I just take a week of oif work and let it get out of my system? Considering it makes me have those horrible suicidal thoughts, I would prefer not to taper, but if you feel that is better let me know. I am so not ready to taper another med and deal with more withdrawls after the hell of the Klonopion, but I need to do what is safest and best for me. Im close to losing my job from suffering job performance due to the Klonopin taper/withdrawl and the fact I sleep once every three days. My brain is a mess. Please help me!

Edited by scallywag
tags

Occasional Xanax - Jan 2012 to Sept 2016. 
Quit drinking August 2016 after 25 yrs
Sept 1,2016 Put on Klonopin 2.5 MG
Sept 20, 2016 - C/T Klonopin - Bad move! Had to reinstate after a little over a month. All the rescue doses were a sign this was a failure. 
Nov 2016 - Reinstate @ 1mg, liquid taper .008 daily liquid over 4 months. Hardly any symptoms during taper. Maybe 3-5 bad days
Feb 28th 2017 - Jump!

Hello all - I am 1 month post taper of Klonopin. Took over 5 months liquid titration. 

I was given the neurontin to take to assist with the withdrawal process. I take anywhere between 300-900 mg every other day to every third day over the past 3 month. However, I think I am having a bad reaction. I feel suicidal and cry all the time. (This never happened while tapering the klonopin, so the only thing different is the addition of gabapentin) Since I was not taking a large dose, and was not taking it every day, can I just not take it any more?? My last dose was 300mg about 60 hrs ago. Considering it makes me have those horrible suicidal thoughts, I would prefer not to taper and be gone with this med asap. I do not like what this does to me mentally. If you feel that is better that I taper let me know, however the severity of the mental issues from this are overwhelming. I am so not ready to taper another med and deal with more withdrawals after the hell of the Klonopin, but I need to do what is safest and best for me. Im close to losing my job from suffering job performance due to the Klonopin taper/withdrawl and the fact I sleep once every three days. My brain is a mess.

Should I have already started feeling awful by now if C/T was going to be an issue? When will I know I should reinstate?

Please help me!

Sept 20, 2016 - C/T Klonopin - Bad move! Had to reinstate after a little over a month. All the rescue doses were a sign this was a failure. 
Nov 2016 - Reinstate @ 1mg, liquid taper .008 daily liquid over 4 months. Hardly any symptoms during taper. Maybe 3-5 bad days
Feb 28th 2017 - Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

billybatts -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Benzos are a beast in a class of their own. As far as I know, 4 months is a fast taper off Klonopin. The symptoms you are experiencing are likely withdrawal symptoms, not side effects of the Neurontin (gabapentin).  I'm sorry that you are having to deal with them.

Taking Neurontin inconsistently -- varying doses and skipping days -- is probably causing more problems. Medications that affect the CNS (central nervous system) such as psychiatric medications often have short half-lives and are best when the same dose is taken at the same time every day.

Please tell us more about your Klonopin taper:

• what was your dose before your first decrease?
  • how often did you decrease and by how much?
  • what was your last dose and when did you take it?
  • when did you start Neurontin (gabapentin)?
A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 9 and Post 10
Once we learn more about your medication history, we'll be in a better position to point you to useful information. 

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, billybatts.

As Scallywag stated, once we know more about your drug history, we can better assist.

I wanted to add some information about Klonopin and benzo withdrawal. Even though you are off it now, knowing symptoms that are common may place your mind at ease about what you are going through. 

The Ashton Manual - list of benzo withdrawal symptoms

Ashton and beyond in benzo tapering

Please let us know more, and we can better advise you. 

Hi, billybatts.

As Scallywag stated, once we know more about your drug history, we can better assist.

I wanted to add some information about Klonopin and benzo withdrawal. Even though you are off it now, knowing symptoms that are common may place your mind at ease about what you are going through. 

The Ashton Manual - list of benzo withdrawal symptoms

Ashton and beyond in benzo tapering

Please let us know more, and we can better advise you. 

I am sorry! I thought I placed this in my signature!

Feb 28th 2017 - Jump!

All hell breaks loose after jump. 

So I am about 1 month and 4 days post jump. I sleep once every 3-4 days. I know this is normal after just jumping from benzos and will eventually return. I was taking neurontin PRN during the taper and post jump, but i think my CNS sensitivity without the Klonopin is making interdose withdrawl of neurontin more prevelant. I tried to go a few days without taking any and it was absolutely awful. I think I may have even had a seizure. I dont remember what happened but I started shaking really strangely then blacked out. So I started the neurontin and now divided the doses among the entire day. I feel much better after 24 hrs. Almost normal. So that means it was the gabapentin. 

So how do I get off this crap? Im so disheartened that I now have another taper. I was told by my doctor I can just stop taking this junk. Oh well. In total I was really on it like 4 months, but was dosing every 3 days or so. So I didnt really take alot. I am reading some places say 10% a month and some people are sucessful much faster. What are your thoughts considering my short time on it? My CNS is still fragile from the K. Maybe stabalize for a week or 2 at 900 mg per day first?

Feb 28th 2017 - Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi billybatts,

I'm sorry you are finding yourself in this difficult situation, but glad you found us.

If I were you I would stay on your current, daily Neurontin dose for at least 2 weeks. If this is helping with symptoms and enabling you to keep your job. This this would be sensible, if keeping your job is important to you.

Only you can decide when you are stable enough to begin a new taper. But a good guide would be when you have had two weeks free from symptoms or with consistent but minor, tolerable symptoms. Personally,  would stay on it longer if its enabling you to continue to function. Wait until you are feeling good and stable again.

If the Neurontin is masking residual benzo withdrawal, then its going to return when you stop taking it. So you will want to start very slowly to see how it will effect you.

Here is the relevant topic:  Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

Read through the thread, there are comments from someone who was also given neurontin for benzo withdrawal, and was about to start a taper.

I'm sorry you were misinformed by your doctor, unfortunately, most of them don't yet know the truth about the long term effects of these drugs, withdrawal problems, or how to help their patients come off them safely.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

The problem is since staring the gaba, it appears to not be agreeing with me. I feel very out if body, dizzy, memory issues, depressed, emotional, and a strange urge to not live any more. I was never like this. Can I do an accelerated taper you think? Over 1 month with a liquid daily taper? I'm between a rock and a hard place and it is awful. I'm so broken.

Feb 28th 2017 - Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi billybatts,

I'm a bit confused. In one post it sounds like the neurontin was helping, when you started taking it in regular doses...

. I tried to go a few days without taking any and it was absolutely awful. I think I may have even had a seizure. I dont remember what happened but I started shaking really strangely then blacked out. So I started the neurontin and now divided the doses among the entire day. I feel much better after 24 hrs. Almost normal.

but here you wrote that it's causing new symptoms...

The problem is since staring the gaba, it appears to not be agreeing with me. I feel very out if body, dizzy, memory issues, depressed, emotional, and a strange urge to not live any more. I was never like this.

In the first post on this thread you wrote "Im close to losing my job from suffering job performance due to the Klonopin taper/withdrawl and the fact I sleep once every three days. My brain is a mess."

I'm trying to ascertain if these symptoms could possibly be related to klonopin withdrawal rather than being caused by the neurontin.

When exactly did these symptoms start? Are they getting better, worse, or staying about the same?

If the start of these symptoms coincided with your jump from klonopin, then they are more likely to be caused by benzo withdrawal. If this is the case, then a fast taper off neurontin now could possibly make you feel even worse.

But if you are sure that what you are experiencing now is an adverse reaction to to neurontin, a fast taper off might help, but I don't know.

Perhaps you could post your story and current symptoms in our Members-only benzo forum

where members with more experience of benzo withdrawal might be able to help.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Sounds a lot like me. Thought gabapentin was helping after a benzo and suboxone withdrawal but now I'm figuring out it can have similar withdrawals to benzodiazepines. I'm guessing more likely if your nervous system has already been compromised by benzos. Feels like I'm starting over.

2001 - 2009 hydrocodone recreationally

2009 - tried to stop had major anxiety and panic attacks, prescribed Xanax daily.. hell followed shorty after(within 2 months)

2009 - Hospitalized for 9 months and given various antidepressants and antipsychotics(Zyprexa, Seroquil, Celexa, Prozac (cant remember the rest)

2010 - finally stabilized on Cymbalta 60mg, Trazadone 50-100mg, Suboxone 16mg

Over time became more and more depressed and anxiety returning..

August 2016 - prescribed Klonopin as needed for anxiety(hell followed once again)

October 15 2016 - stopped Klonopin cold turkey(severe acute withdrawal for 2 weeks, zero sleep for 7 days ending in a week long hospital stay

November 1 - December 1, started on Gabapentin 900mg then raised to 1200mg during quick taper off 16mg Suboxone(3 weeks of acute withdrawals in rehab)

January 2017 - stopped Cymbalta 60mg with no taper(seemed to handle ok minus brain zaps for 2 weeks)(no choice.. lost insurance)

January - Late March - seemed to be doing ok, some depression and mild anxiety

currently still taking gabapentin 900mg down from 1200mg on March 29 (hell starting all over again.. so done with the roller coaster of psychiatrists and medications)

• 3 weeks later...

gabapentin is a nightmare.   it definitely causes extreme psychological disturbance.  knowing this,  one can at least not believe your thoughts and feelings when they are happening.   my depression and suicidal feelings usually happen most intensely on waking.  the sooner I can get up and moving the better.   I try to avoid stressful people, conversation, news, and noisy places.  sometimes the only thing that helps is putting earphones on and watching an intense movie.  ' homeland' was a life saver.   

I have no answers for you,  I have not been able to get off gabapentin and sometimes think it will be a lifetime thing.  LDN seems to help to help me and i am hoping it will help me all the way off.     there is a good supportive Facebook group.   also CBD oil helps people but I am allergic to it.  check the fb group.

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

Taking Neurontin inconsistently -- varying doses and skipping days -- is probably causing more problems. Medications that affect the CNS (central nervous system) such as psychiatric medications often have short half-lives and are best when the same dose is taken at the same time every day.

I would concur with that. Gabapentin is a little different. It is not a benzodiazepine, and it doesn't bind to the receptors that bzd's do, but it is shorter acting than klonopin is (unless you are a rapid metabolizer of Klonopin). I take Gabapentin twice a day (2x300mg), and I feel each dose wearing off after several hours. I do believe it has interdose withdrawals just like the short-acting bzd's like Ativan or Xanax. You might have a dependency on it at this point, so, that may be another reason not to skip days. I've never taken Klonopin, but I assume it's easier to skip days with it because of its intermediate half-life.....

Gabapentin most likely wears off faster than Klonopin. Personally, taking a small dose (100mg) once in a blue moon may not be so bad, but I think it's a whole different ballgame with doses of 300mg and up. I think in those cases, it's much better to take the Gabapentin on a regular basis and find the dose that is not too high, where you feel horrific when you don't take it, but also not too low where you feel horrific in spite of taking it. It's not a "nice" psych drug by any means, but I personally think if that's something that can help you keep off Klonopin (if that is your goal), it may be somewhat helpful. 2.5mg of Klonopin is about 50mg of Valium, by the way, so you may still be dealing with residual symptoms of a Klonopin cold turkey and then the following taper.

This is just my purely personal view, but if you need a Glutamate suppressing agent, Gabapentin may be a better choice than Seroquel or Lamictal or Risperdal. Again, just my personal view.

Prozac 1997- 2013, stopped after 1 month short-taper. 

Ativan  0.5mg intermittent use, end of 2010 - end of 2014

Ativan  up to 2-3mg/day Dec 2014/Jan 2015

Partial Valium crossover: down to 0.5mg/day Ativan and 10mg/day Valium (2015-2017)

(2/2018 - 10/2018, tapered down Valium from 10mg to 3.75mg Valium per day) (HOLDING at 3.75mg/day)

(10/2018) - Ativan 0.5mg a day (HOLDING @ 0.5mg since mid 2017)

11/2018 - Cut valium to 2.5mg a day

3/23/2019 - Cut Buspar from 20mg to 15mg/day (intense symptoms)

4/4/2019 - Updosed Buspar from 15mg to 17mg

4/13/2019 - Ativan - 0.48mg/day

4/17/2019 - Buspar down to 16mg/day

4/24/2019 - Buspar down to 15mg/day

• 4 months later...

I am in desperate need of advice. I am 4.5 months from klonopin detox and 1 year out from alchohol.  I was perscribed klonopin to get off Xanax and alchohol. It was hell with a few failures, but this is the longest I have made it. I made it through the worst and only suffer from lack of sleep as last remaining withdrawl symptom. Will never take that junk again or any benzo. I am sensitized to them and tolorant.

While I was in rehab for klonopin I was given 15mg if remeron for sleep. Insomnia has been the worst side effect for me in this journey. It is total 100% sleeplessness. I sleep once or twice a week. Maybe 6 hrs total. The Remeron Didn't help much but i stayed on it for 3 months because i was in acute and didnt want to rock the boat relative to my klonopin recovery . I started tapering off because I didn't find it too effective for sleep.

The last month I was down to 7.5mg and I just jumped 3 days ago. I was also put on 10mg of zyprexa to help sleep 30 days ago which works 60% of the time.i have only been on zyprexa for a month. I would like to get off the zyprexa now before I dig too deep of another hole I need to crawl out of. I heard and read nightmare stories about getting off of this drug so you can see why i dont want to be on it. So here I am at a crossroad. Not sure what , if any, withdrawal lie ahead of me since jumping off of remeron. I got off of it no problem several years ago without much issue, so I hope the same holds true now. I'm bracing for hell.

Also, do you recommend I jump off the zyprexa now also before I get deep in that hole also? Should I stay on the zyprexa a bit more to mitigate the possible remeron withdrawal? What would you do in my situation?

My goal is to find natural sleep, drug free and need advice. I am a father, husband and bread winner of the family. I need to work. I cant losr my job.This is going to be brutal but I'm not sure what to do. What would you do in my situation?

Drug history

Xanax use from 2014-2016. 

quit alchohol August 2016
Insomnia started, placed on 2.5mg Klonopin Sept 2016
Attempt 1 - Oct 2016 - CT, reinstated Klonopin
Attempt 2 - Taper from 1mg 11/16-2/17. Failed , reinstated klonopin
Attempt 3 -  April '17 - Detox in rehab. 

May 2017 - placed on 15mg remeron for sleep. Last dose of remeron September 10th.

August 21st, placed on zyprexa for sleep.

Feb 28th 2017 - Jump!

Hi billybatts,

I am pretty new here to offer suggestions but wanted to say hi and sorry you are suffering! There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and a lot of good reads!

-D

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium