apace41

Peter Breggin on Antidepressants

6 posts in this topic

Very nice find, Andy.  I liked his historical perspective. He even mentioned the fact that tranquilizers were used in the testing of Prozac. 

Dr. Breggin mentioned suicidal thoughts and violence in people on Varenicline, which is Chantix, and I remembered an article I came across recently when researching the black box warnings.  Evidently Dr. Breggin hasn't read about the latest news on the black box warnings on these types of anti-smoking drugs, which are chemically similar to SSRIs. 

It seems the black box warning is being removed: 

Black Box Warnings Removed From Chantix, Zyban

The way I understood Dr. Breggin, you can really tell how dangerous these drugs are because these suicidal and violent reactions happen even in people without any mental illness history, such as people using them to stop smoking. So it was always helpful to cite the anti-smoking drugs like varenicline as an example proving that these drugs are, in fact, very dangerous. 

But now that logical argument has been removed from the conversation with the removal of the black box warnings. 

I fear that with the oncoming deregulation of the government as a whole and the FDA specifically, there will be fewer black box warnings and there's now precedent of them being removed (although perhaps this has happened before?).

So I liked that show, but I wish Dr. Breggin would have talked about the removal of black box warnings and what this could mean for the future, especially since from that article, it seems the warning was removed after only one study.  

The issue of the removal of the black box warning on Chantix is really very frightening.  Yes, there have been early efforts by the SSRI manufacturers to seek removal of the similar warnings on their products.

Here is another episode of Breggin's show in which he interviews Kim Witczak who is doing citizen activist work in this regard.

https://drpeterbregginshow.podbean.com/e/the-dr-peter-breggin-hour-%E2%80%93-010417-1484234350/

Her story is a harrowing one told on an earlier podcast of his.  Her husband, Woody, had a minor issue, went to a doc, got prescribed an SSRI and wound up committing suicide.  If you are up to it that podcast is really powerful.

Best,

Andy

Thank you for linking that podcast. It was just the background info I was looking for. 

It's quite clear that our entire medical care establishment is part of the corporate coup d'état and just like Exxon hid climate change data 40 years ago, big pharma is using similar tricks, magic mirrors and payoffs to hide the bodies from their own form of toxic sacrifice zones. 

I found the discussion on the removal of the black box warning to be quite chilling, and also, the connections to direct-to-consumer advertising and marketing off-label to be equally concerning. It seems that the first amendment rights of big pharma outweigh the first amendment rights of patients. Seems that corporations are people. Too bad they can't take these drugs!

Witczak's commentary was excellent when she stated that when marketing and promoting off-label is legal, the drug companies can create their own "science" to support the marketing.  With ghost writing in medical journals, fraud in drug trials, and the removal of the black box warnings, that's really what is happening. 

She mentioned the name Thomas Moore as being involved in the fight to keep the black box warning on Chantix, and I remembered him from a MiA article, as he was involved in this study:

1 in 6 Adults in the US Takes a Psychiatric Drug

If they remove the black box warnings, expand the rights of big pharma to continue their off-label marketing, and keep silencing the voices of victims and their families . . . with tens of millions of people on these drugs, this may be the end to us as human beings. 

Sorry, Andy, I'm taking your thread off topic. 

Her story is a harrowing one told on an earlier podcast of his.  Her husband, Woody, had a minor issue, went to a doc, got prescribed an SSRI and wound up committing suicide.  If you are up to it that podcast is really powerful.

I tried to find this one by searching for Kim Witczak's name in the search box over on Dr. Breggin's podcast website, but I couldn't find it.

Do you happen to have the link? Yes, I'd like to hear more of her narrative. I'm really glad she's taking this on and speaking truth to power. 

Thanks again for posting this great information. 

Thanks for the link!  Check it out - it led to another site:

Woody Matters

That site has a TON of legal information and media articles that Kim Witczak has been working on over the years. 

Oh Andy, please don't spend too much time looking for the podcast. I thought it was something you had already. 

I found a YouTube video with Kim talking about it here:

Psych-Drugs Harm - 5E: Kim Witczak - Woody Matters - Sept.16, 2015 - CPH

(CAUTION: This video involves details about a suicide from Zoloft, so please don't watch if you are easily triggered.)

Kim Witczak is a powerful spokeswoman.