SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Visualizations To Improve your Stress Response

JanCarol

• Moderator Emeritus

One of my karate Senseis is also an Olympic coach at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS).  He coaches Paralympian velodrome cyclists, but was voted "Best Olympic Coach of 2012" (both Olympic and Paralympic).  

I am so lucky to know him, and learn from him.

Anyway, when Sensei asks, "did you practice your kata?"  I said, "Yes, in my mind."  (Kata = pattern, like a dance)

The other teachers scoffed at this, that I would run through my katas before falling asleep at night, feeling my stances and shapes and focusing on improving my technique, just by visualising it.  Fellow students laughed and said, "I've done that, it doesn't help!"  And failed to listen when I emphasized how much detail is needed to make it work.

But while they were laughing at me - I was learning the katas faster, and remembering them better.

The AIS  Sensei was the ONLY ONE who said, "That's good, Jan!  Keep it up!"

Later, he told the story of how he was hooked up at the AIS to EEG and EKG, and put in a car, and run around the track while he visualized cycling the track.  His body was still, but his EEG and EKG showed that he had a workout.

Visualization is real, and is used in scientific and sport applications.

I'm posting this because in my reading here, and in chats with other members, I've heard of a number of excellent visualisations to help with the healing process.

Peggy wrote about watching a hard drive de-frag.  

Another said he liked to visualize our happy "Here Comes the Sun!" sun symbol next to his thread title.

Or - imagines that work crews are re-engineering and rebuilding his brain and nervous system.

I've heard that these kinds of visualizations are excellent in cancer - so why not for withdrawal and mental health?

I know I've propagated a "road works" image that could be used like this.  What other images would be helpful to imagine - in color and detail - to help your body and brain heal?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy