If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

zxcv: Is there anyway to get off the depresson meds when the main problem is the anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zxcv

zxcv

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:47 AM

I've been taking these meds for years. I've been on them mostly for extreme anxiety and depression. What do I need to help with anxiety and depression as I try to get off of them so I can stay off of them. 

Also, how bad is getting off of fluoxetine, trazodone, wellbutrin compared to getting off of Effexor? Getting off of Effexor was pretty hellish.

#2 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

Welcome zxcv

Its unusual for a newbee to get to page 2 without being welcomed. The moderators are very busy these days.

You might like to do a drug signature.

Many people think they have depression and anxiety when on these drugs for some time when in actual fact its the drugs that are causing this psychologically distressing state. Many people are getting their life back with slow tapering and we are talking slow as in years.

Im sure you can do it too.

You might like to also run all your drugs you are taking through the drugs interaction checker and copy and paste the results in your intro thread they can be very insightful.

welcome

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#3 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

zxcv -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

It's hard to compare the medications. Just because you had a tough time with Effexor doesn't mean that tapering from the other drugs will be the same. Please post about how you tapered off Effexor and when you did that.

How is your health now? What symptoms, if any, do you have?

Many people are given inadequate or bad advice about tapering off these medications. Some doctors think a slow taper takes only a month or two. You may have been the victim of such a "mis-under-educated" doctor when you came off Effexor. We suggest that people taper by decreasing no more than 10% per month. You can read more about that here:
Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know. and,
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Please do as nz11 suggested and enter all your drugs in to a drug interactions checker.

As someone taking several medications, you may wish to read this topic Taking multiple drugs? Which to taper first.

We have specific topics for the medications you've listed:
Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine),
Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel), and
Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin XR, SR, XL (bupropion).

nz11 mentioned a drug signature. Here's a detailed request and links to instructions:
A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 9 and Post 10
direct link to signature settings page

Thanks for the easy username. At first I thought, "Huh, what?", then I keyed it in. Good thinking!

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14;
Current dose: 3.5 mg (32) 2017-Apr-26
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet