If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

malu: Pristiq withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 malu

malu

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe universe

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

Hi, this is my first post here, (your case is similar to mine - mod note: moved from Shaesurf's topic), my doctor recommended to me to stop cold turkey after six months and a half using Pristiq (before that I used Sertraline and I had a unbearable delayed withdrawal three months after I stop it cold turkey by medical recommendation, and the doctor didn't saw it as withdrawaw symptoms), and I on my own decided to cut the pills and I tapered for 8 weeks (54 days), that way: first week 3/4, second and third weeks 1/2, fourth week 3/8, fifth and sixth weeks 1/4, seventh week 1/8 and the eighth and last week 1/16. And then I started meditating (I went to a 10 day vipassana meditation retreat the day I stopped), and I had just a little bit of anxiety after the retreat and a hang-out like discomfort sometimes when I wake up but that's it. Tomorrow it will be one month since I stopped it and I'm doing fine so far. I take magnesium supplement, Lugol's iodine solution at 5%, and eat only raw vegan food.

Edited by ChessieCat, 07 April 2017 - 03:16 PM.

December 2012 to October 2015: Escitalopram
January 2015 (I think) to October 2015: Nortriptyline (Pamelor)
October 2015 to January 2016: Sertraline (stopped it cold turkey)
April 2016: Aripiprazole (Aristab)
May 2016 to July 2016: Sertraline
July 2016 to January 2017: Pristiq 50 mg
January 2017 to March 2017: tapering off of Pristiq by cutting the pills.
Currently on no psychiatric medication and I intend to stay like that for now on.

Supplements: magnesium chloride, Lugol's iodine solution at 5%, and vitamin b12.

#2 malu

malu

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe universe

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Hello there, tomorrow it will be one month since I've stopped my tapering of Pristiq and I'm doing fine so far. I did it fast in comparison to this site's standards. I don't advocate doing anything that I did, I'm just stating it.

I will start with some background: I started taking Escitalopram on December 2012 for a episode of depression and anxiety I had that year, and used it from that date to october 2015. In 2015 I also used Nortriptyline (Pamelor) along with Escitalopram for 8 months more or less. Then I started using Sertraline from October 2015 to January 2016, and stopped cold turkey.

Four moths later I had unbearable withdrawal symptoms, I don't know if I can call that anxiety but I cound't concentrate, it was a torture.

My doctor thought I had bipolar disorder because of that, and disregarded it as withdrawal symptons and put me on Aripiprazole (Aristab), an atypical antipsychotic. The symptons worsened and I stopped taking it in less than two weeks.
Then he put me back on Sertraline and the symptons decreased but I would still feel that unbearable discomfort, specially on my legs and I felt like a zombie, I couldn't feel anything being on a concert, for example.

After two months back on Sertraline he put me on Pristiq and I haven't felt bad, and those feelings vanished. I was feeling all right but still wasn't feeling like myself. However not as zombie-like than as I was on Sertraline.

From July 2016 to the middle of January 2017 I took 50mg of Pristiq. I decided with my psychiatrist agreement that it was time to stop as I wasn't neither depressed nor anxious anymore. He recommended doing it cold turkey, and no one in the world would change he's mind. I then proceeded to cut the pills and tapered for almost 8 weeks (54 days).

I've tapered off of it this way:

First week I took 3/4 of a pill, the second and third weeks 1/2 of a pill, fourth week 3/8 of a pill, fifth and sixth weeks 1/4 of a pill, seventh week 1/8 and the eighth and last week 1/16 of a pill. 

During the tapering period I've felt some symptoms like anxiety, agitation and a hang out like discomfort when I wake up.

After the tapering I started meditating (I went to a 10 day Vipassana meditation retreat the day I stopped), and I had just a little bit of anxiety after the retreat and that hang out like feeling sometimes when I wake up (much more bearable than when I was tapering) and that's it.

I take a magnesium supplement, Lugol's iodine solution at 5%, and I eat only raw vegan food. Currently I'm also supplementing vitamins b12, b1 and b6.

Meditation is much more better than medication.

Currently on no psychiatric medication and I intend to stay like that for now on.

Supplements: magnesium chloride, Lugol's iodine solution at 5%, and vitamin b12.

#3 malu

malu

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe universe

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Disregard the first post. It wasn't supposed to be my intro and I can't edit it.

#4 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,108 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

As you are already aware, Shaesurf's situation is very similar to yours.  I suggest you read the responses to Shaesurf so that you know what to do if your withdrawal symptoms worsen.

Reminder to self:      P A T I E N C E       I want to go faster    but I won't

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 24mg (from 19 May 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#5 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

Welcome, malu.

I congratulate you on tapering Pristiq in a systematic way, without skipping doses.

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself. You might want to take these supplements

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Many people find them helpful.

Some people can get by with a fast taper. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#6 malu

malu

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe universe

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Welcome, malu.

I congratulate you on tapering Pristiq in a systematic way, without skipping doses.

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself. You might want to take these supplements

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Many people find them helpful.

Some people can get by with a fast taper. Please let us know how you're doing.

Hi, thank you, Altostrata. Today it's been one month without the drug. I want to add that when I was tapering and shortly after stopping I had very vivid dreams (not nightmares). And during the Sertraline withdrawal in the beginning of last year I think I had akathisia, along with the underlying anxiety.

#7 malu

malu

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe universe

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Update: a little bit more than to months later: bouts of anxiety and fatigue, it appeared just when I started taking spironolactone (50 mg) by the end of april (now I'm taking 200 mg of spironolactone).

#8 malu

malu

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Locationthe universe

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Update: Orgasm is stronger and faster to achieve. Since the beggining of 2013 when I was taking Escitalopram my orgasm started to fade, than eventually disappeared. I think I've got PSSD. Now that I stopped the use of antidepressants I've got the strongest orgasm since 2013, but it's not like it used to be. And it feels a lot different.