If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Jamieandlexapro: Introducing myself as I'm trying to survive lexapro :(

Withdrawals lexapro

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

I was on lexapro for 7 years at 10mg decided it was a good time to stop at the start of last year.

I went down to 5mg for 3 months, no withdrawals, the the doctor said I could stop, I decided to go day on day off, then a few days between, I started to feel small amounts of anxiety return aswell as some tiredness.

My doctor said to go back on 10mg, I did, then with in a few weeks I started getting worse, my heart would race I couldn't get out of bed, after 3 weeks the doctor raised it to 20mg i felt so posioned I didn't eat for 2 months straight, I was in bed couldn't even roll over, I kept going to the hospital they kept sending me home, my heart rate was 120-140 I had yellow diarrhea, I had to have people come and help me with my children, i hadn't cuddles them for months.

Then I said 3 months later, January this year, its poisining me. It has to be. Even though by then I was out of bed, I was still in such confusion and pain in the head.. couldn't last out of bed for long and the anxiety was horrible.

I went to 15 for 2 weeks, 10 for a week, then tried Zoloft for a week had allergic reaction although the brain burning feeling had subsided.but couldn't continue with the rash from Zoloft, then back on lexapro 5mg for 2 weeks, and every night I took that pill my brain felt like it was burning, 2 weeks later the doctor gave me Prozac. 5mg for a week, I started getting tingling in my feet and feeling spaced out. One doctor said to up the dose. I did once and felt worse. So I seen another doctor who said maybe your to sensitive now and need to stop medication all together, so here I am, 1 months out from lexapro, and almost 3 weeks out from Prozac.

My eating came back. I eat now, my diarrhea has gone. The brain burning gone. But as the days go by, I'm feeling more and more brain zaps, dizziness, confusion. Migraines. Like this is 24/7 some moments better then others.

I mean is one month long enough to judge, will it only get worse? Does it take more then a month to feel better, I don't know what to expect. I do meditation, I walk every day now. Don't get much sleep as I wake up every few hours but I try lavender to help sleep. I just want to hear one successful story after long term use

Edited by ChessieCat, 07 April 2017 - 04:52 PM.
paragraphs

8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg
Sep-October alternate days (kindled) anxiety returned
November-march reinstatement (adverse reaction) bed ridden for 5 months.
Stopped April, felt I had no choice, felt poisoned.
27 years old, mummy of 3.

#2 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:16 PM

Welcome so so sorry to read of your experience with the doctors.

imo you are not alone this kind of dreadful experience is going on daily to thousands and thousands of lives in the western world.

Can you get hold of the book 'anatomy of an epidemic' by Whitaker it might join some dots for you. Is well worth the read.

You could also maybe checkout Monicas story.

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#3 Kittygiggles

Kittygiggles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

I am so sorry your doctors gave you such conflicting and harmful advice. I was told to stop, told to increase, told that fluoxetine doesn't cause any of the side effects I was describing and so on, it was frustrating! When I stopped Prozac, severe brain zaps and dizziness were there a lot. Now I have reinstated I still have some withdrawal effects that you described: confusion, dizziness, headaches, tingling (paresthesia), but they are much better than before I reinstated. The brain zaps disappeared completely when I reinstated.

Your case requires more thought because of the different drugs you were on but I am sure a moderator will help you figure this out. I just wanted to say that I sympathize and hope you feel a little better knowing there is help here. 

2010: Unknown SSRI for 48 hours for anxiety, stopped CT due to side effects.

2012: Generic Paxil (paroxetine) for about 2 weeks (cannot recall dose) for anxiety, stopped CT due to side effects, major WD for about 1 month. Started on generic Prozac (fluoxetine) 40mg daily for anxiety. (Started self-directed CBT due to limited finances to help with my anxiety disorders, this worked slowly but well and is the reason I got better).

2013: Updosed to 60mg fluoxetine and dropped to 40mg a few times due to teething problems with CBT

2014: Continued 40mg fluoxetine daily. CBT going well.

2015: Wanted to stop fluoxetine as CBT was the only thing relieving my anxiety, not the drug. Did ill-advised alternate day taper, weekly taper, then instructed to stop at around 20mg a week. Major WD about 2 weeks later, reinstated at 40mg fluoxetine daily.

2016 Jan to May: Continued 40mg fluoxetine daily but felt some lingering WD.

2016 Jun to Sep: Continued 40mg fluoxetine daily but had some intensified side effects when I tried another fluoxetine manufacturer. I then felt more intense WD, so decided to taper again as I did in 2015, and reached about 20mg weekly. WD intensified. I researched WD via reputable sources.

Oct 2016 to Apr 2017 (present): Found SA and decided to try to stabilize, hoping reinstatement would work. I am proud to have stuck with 20mg fluoxetine daily, without fail, for about 6 months. Tried water titration but did 100% liquid for one day followed by 50% the next, bad wave resulted. Back on 100% capsules now.

#4 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

I think I to have this..
I was on lexapro for 7 years and decided to stop over 3 month period then my doctor said my fatigue was from stopping and put me up on 20 mg and I was on the for 3 months, sick in bed couldn't move I couldn't talk I couldn't eat, I would littlerly pee myself, my heart rate was over 130 and the doctors said keep taking your lexapro it's just anxiety. The 1 month ago I said no this is poisoning me my brain is burning every time I take this. And decided to stop. It's been a months and I'm still sick after stopping. But a lot of things have improved, I now eat and walk around the house. My 3 months of diarrhea has cleared up. But I'm feeling brain zaps and dizziness and depersonalisation and all sorts of other things. But I really reckon I was poisoned with neurotoxicity for 3 months. Apparently you don't heal from this? I'm so scared 😢

Sorry my memory is bad, I was reinstated for 5 months from November last year until one month ago. I was bed ridden from November until January/feb.

I was on lexapro for 7 years and my doctor told me to take 5mg for 3 months then 5mg 2 times a week and stop, then I started getting anxiety so he put me back on and I continued to get worse every time I complained I was being posined he put the dose up over Xmas I was on 20mg and was bed ridden for 3 months on it, then feb I decided it was definitely poisoning me and went to 5mg for 2 weeks then stopped. I started eating again had not ate in months, my yellow diarrhea that I had for the past 5 months of reinstatement had gone back to normal. Things like that have improved but Ita been 5 weeks off now and since 2 weeks off I've been having zaps dizziness depersonalisation no immune system. I'm jut wondering when the anxiety withdrawals start, from what I'm reading is it's at 3 months? I'm really scared. But I really don't want to go back on cause I felt so poisoned in my reinstatement, I had brain burning all the way from my brain down my neck, vomiting, panic, bed ridden. 5 months and lost 15kg I'm now 40kg and I couldn't even change my sons bum during reinstatement, I stayed on for 5 months because my doctor said it was anxiety not poisining, I disagree 😢

Sorry I was on 5mg for the 3 months then started going day on off ect.. then he reinstated me at 5mg everyday, then I got sick then he said 10mg for 2 weeks, got worse, then 15mg he said my anxiety was really bad go up to 20mg, that's where I sat, posined and bed ridden for 5 months. Until I realised it was causing more harm, I knew I was poisoned, no hospital or doctor believed me.

8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#5 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,666 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Welcome Jamie,

I'm sorry a moderator hasn't responded in your topic until now.

Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sorry you are having such a rough time since stopping lexapro, but it sounds like some of your symptoms have improved since you stopped trying different drugs and dosages. Once the nervous system becomes sensitized by withdrawal, previously tolerated medications and dosages can often be too much.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

It sounds to me like tapered too fast. We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Reinstatement may have worked if you had tried a lower dose. After being adjusted to 5mg, going back up to 10mg was probably to much for you.

How long have you been off the medications now?

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

If you would fill in your signature and give us a little more information, we may be able suggest a starting dose, that's if it something you would like to try. Do you have some lexapro left?

Here is our lexapro tapering topic with information about how to taper properly:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Please read through the information and come back here to your topic with any questions.

When we have a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#6 LexAnger

LexAnger

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:25 PM

Hi Jamie,

So sorry you had such horrible experience with the meds and doctors!
On top of what petunia commented and provided, I want to mention that your body probably now is in tolerance to Lexapro after the reaction you got from updosing! I had first hand experience with the same problems and I know once you have a reaction to the med, it will be very likely you will have a reaction whenever you updose or reinstate, at least that was the case for me, doesn't matter how tiny ( I am talking about samller than 0.1mg) the reinstate amount is.

For this consideration, I would consider a different med to reinstate. I I I you had a bad experience with Zoloft, how bad you felt about Prozac? Prozac is recommended for bridging as a general practice, if you can take it at a very low dose, it will be also easier to taper.
<p>2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain; Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg, first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg, slight improvement with pain2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR2016 Feb., started fast taper for the drug toxicity caused by the one dose of 4.2mg, dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, sliding Down to 0.13mg by 2/13, then 0.07mg since 2/18, 0.06mg 2/20-3/17, 0.13mg 3/18

#7 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

Hey Jamie - 

What you describe is unfortunately, so common.  It seems Australian doctors are fond of Lexapro right now, I have 2 friends on it, and I'm terrified that their doctors will do to them what was done to you.  I have one friend who came off 3 months ago, and I'm watching her gritting my teeth hoping she will survive the whiplash.

Here's what I think happened:  You were doing okay on 5 mg.  But you went to an every-other-day dosing, which destabilised and kindled your system:

Every-other day dosing

Limbic Kindling - Hardwiring the Brain for Hypersensitivity

After that, you reacted to every change.  It's classic, really, and quite common (so much so, I've filed your story under "classic Lexapro story").  I'm sorry, but it's true.  And your doctor kept throwing changes at you - not realizing that he was making things worse.

I mean is one month long enough to judge, will it only get worse? Does it take more then a month to feel better, I don't know what to expect. I do meditation, I walk every day now. Don't get much sleep as I wake up every few hours but I try lavender to help sleep. I just want to hear one successful story after long term use

No, one month is not long enough to judge.  This is the fallacy that a lot of people operate under, and when the symptoms kick in 6, 9, 12 months later, people think it's a "relapse," forgetting that they quit a drug a year ago.

7 years is not really long term use.  We have people who have come off after 20 years of use. 

Here's an article about how it works:  Intro to Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

Cartoons so that you understand what others experience:  Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you

And an excellent 5 minute vid that explains it very well:  Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)

You will see that these drugs are not like aspirin.  They change your body, and it takes time to heal the changes.

Because of the intermittent, every other day dosing, and because you are in the "window of opportunity" for reinstatement, I strongly suggest a reinstatement.  Because Lexapro is so strong, it would be better for you to go on a 1 mg reinstatement of Celexa (little sister to Lexapro), rather than a 0.5 mg. reinstatement of Lexapro.  But you are the one who has to decide.

The time to heal will be the same - but the reinstatement will hopefully make it more comfortable.  It is such a tiny amount, hopefully enough to stop your symptoms, but not enough to create side effects like you were having.

Then, when that takes the edge off of your symptoms, you will be able to control how you come down off of that, nice and slow.

Now you asked about Success Stories?

Yes, we have them.  http://survivinganti...rom-withdrawal/

There are various stories of recovery here:  http://http://igotbetter.org/videos and here:  http://igotbetter.org/stories

There is an excellent collection of success stories here:  http://cepuk.org/recovery-stories/

Katinka Blackford Newman has written an excellent book about her own story, which addresses the global nature of this problem, called "The Pill That Steals Lives."  I got it from my library.

Also - you might want to visit with other Aussies, here:  http://survivinganti...-check-in-here/

It's super awesome that you have a number of non-drug techniques.  Regular practice of any technique, whether it is meditation or walking or healing baths - will help shore you up through the difficult times.  And you will learn that:  if you can survive this, you can survive anything.  You will come out of this better than you were before!

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

Currently Lithium Orotate 1.67 mg only.  I will re-evaluate this supplement in 2017.

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

#8 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:32 AM

Wow I didn't get any notifications for your replies, so sorry I havnt seen it until now. It's been 6 weeks or so off lexapro, and I still have really bad dizziness and derealisation with some fast heart rate today. A lot of pressure in my head and the back of my head feels like it's prickling and my temples feel like they pulsate and strong jaw pain, really strange. But I also had a flue for 4-5 days which doesn't help on top of things. Then got bit by mozzies on Sunday and got told I was in the zone for ross river fever which is here in Australia. So o guess I'm waiting for that to knock me for one aswell. I want to reinstate but I'm so scared of that poisoned feeling. If I hold out will I get worse at the 3 month point? The anxiety of waiting for the anxiety is like a massive cycle.
From what I've learnt, my doctor tapered me to fast then made it worse by day on and off, then increased my dose to much to fast. I beliveve I was 100% sure I was being poised but no doctor or hospital believes me, even when I say well why am I eating now? When I couldn't even eat a piece of toast. Why has my diarrhea gone away? My vomiting? The burning feeling. A lot of improvements but then again a lot of different un improvements, dizziness disorientation confusing derealization anxiety neck and jaw pain.
It seems like after 7 years on antidepressants, no one ever gets better or they get worse at 3 months off and continues for years. Has anyone ever got better with 6 months. My kids need me 😭 I'm so scared with in a few weeks I'm going to be hit with worse withdrawals or massive adrenal/panic attacks.
Sorry for the length of this. Just desperate.
8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#9 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

Hey Jamie -

What you describe is unfortunately, so common. It seems Australian doctors are fond of Lexapro right now, I have 2 friends on it, and I'm terrified that their doctors will do to them what was done to you. I have one friend who came off 3 months ago, and I'm watching her gritting my teeth hoping she will survive the whiplash.

Here's what I think happened: You were doing okay on 5 mg. But you went to an every-other-day dosing, which destabilised and kindled your system:
Every-other day dosing
Limbic Kindling - Hardwiring the Brain for Hypersensitivity

After that, you reacted to every change. It's classic, really, and quite common (so much so, I've filed your story under "classic Lexapro story"). I'm sorry, but it's true. And your doctor kept throwing changes at you - not realizing that he was making things worse.

No, one month is not long enough to judge. This is the fallacy that a lot of people operate under, and when the symptoms kick in 6, 9, 12 months later, people think it's a "relapse," forgetting that they quit a drug a year ago.

7 years is not really long term use. We have people who have come off after 20 years of use.

Here's an article about how it works: Intro to Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome
Cartoons so that you understand what others experience: Withdrawal Dialogues - cartoons to encourage you
And an excellent 5 minute vid that explains it very well: Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)

You will see that these drugs are not like aspirin. They change your body, and it takes time to heal the changes.

Because of the intermittent, every other day dosing, and because you are in the "window of opportunity" for reinstatement, I strongly suggest a reinstatement. Because Lexapro is so strong, it would be better for you to go on a 1 mg reinstatement of Celexa (little sister to Lexapro), rather than a 0.5 mg. reinstatement of Lexapro. But you are the one who has to decide.

The time to heal will be the same - but the reinstatement will hopefully make it more comfortable. It is such a tiny amount, hopefully enough to stop your symptoms, but not enough to create side effects like you were having.

Then, when that takes the edge off of your symptoms, you will be able to control how you come down off of that, nice and slow.

Now you asked about Success Stories?

Yes, we have them. http://survivinganti...rom-withdrawal/

There are various stories of recovery here: http://http://igotbetter.org/videos and here: http://igotbetter.org/stories

There is an excellent collection of success stories here: http://cepuk.org/recovery-stories/

Katinka Blackford Newman has written an excellent book about her own story, which addresses the global nature of this problem, called "The Pill That Steals Lives." I got it from my library.

Also - you might want to visit with other Aussies, here: http://survivinganti...-check-in-here/

It's super awesome that you have a number of non-drug techniques. Regular practice of any technique, whether it is meditation or walking or healing baths - will help shore you up through the difficult times. And you will learn that: if you can survive this, you can survive anything. You will come out of this better than you were before!

I hope you see the sun today!

Wow this was so great the hear.. I like the idea or celexa at a small amount, except I have a heart condition which is long at syndrome and that's the only reason I havnt tried it, but maybe such a small amount might not hurt that.

And yes the 3 months I was very stable on 5mg I thought woohoo I'm free. But few weeks after day on and day off, it hit me. And then reinstatement made me so so sick, I believe brain damage sick 😭
If I do recover from what feels like brain damage, or even recover 80% I will feel like superwoman! and I will try and help people like you are doing for me.

Do you know when the emotional withdrawals start (anxiety) ruffly? I keep hearing 3 months for some reason.

And all this meditation and CBT will it even help? If it's all to do with your body healing, maybe it's a waste of money and energy

I appreciate every word you have said to me. I guess when you mind is running so fast, you forget to stop take a breath and actually thank people for there kind words. So thank you 😊
8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#10 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

[quote name="LexAnger" post="281261" timestamp="1492241145"]

Hi Jamie,

So sorry you had such horrible experience with the meds and doctors!
On top of what petunia commented and provided, I want to mention that your body probably now is in tolerance to Lexapro after the reaction you got from updosing! I had first hand experience with the same problems and I know once you have a reaction to the med, it will be very likely you will have a reaction whenever you updose or reinstate, at least that was the case for me, doesn't matter how tiny ( I am talking about samller than 0.1mg) the reinstate amount is.

This is exactly what I'm affraid of, if I try anything even a mg, im probably going to feel sick again,
And then if I try another ssri then how will it help with the lexapro withdrawals if it's a different drug. And reinstatement of another drug at a small dose, will it even help or just make things worse. It's horrible, if I don't get worse then I feel I can do this, if I see signs of improvement then I feel it is possible. But everyone talks about the crash months later. I won't be able to tolerate it if it gets worse 😢
8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#11 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

Hey Jamie!

I didn't find your post for a few days, too.  I'm glad I caught up to you - because when I read your story, I was afraid that you were going to have some difficult times.

6 weeks is not too long for reinstatement.  Lexapro has that QT interval side effect, too (so your doc should never have given it to you!).  Celexa is very similar to Lexapro, and should "hit" very close to the same spots as Lexapro, but be weaker.

Ross River!  I have never been so afraid of mozzies in my life!  All I can say is - use repellent, and take care of your immune system!  You can't say you might get Ross River until you do - so - don't call wolf until you have to!

Reinstatements tend to be at such low doses that you don't get that "poisoned" feeling.  Have you ever been on 0.5 mg of Lexapro?  That's the equivalent of 1.0 mg of Celexa.

It seems like after 7 years on antidepressants, no one ever gets better or they get worse at 3 months off and continues for years. Has anyone ever got better with 6 months. My kids need me I'm so scared with in a few weeks I'm going to be hit with worse withdrawals or massive adrenal/panic attacks. 

Yes, people do get better.  I believe your best bet is to reinstate and try to stabilize.

Maybe you will be on that 1.0 mg of Celexa for a year in order to get stable - that's okay!  Your body is going to heal at the rate it heals, it can't be rushed - but you can give it some of the drug that was propping it up, to help get you through.

People do heal, people do get better, and you can too.  I'm sorry you are afraid, really your meditation and CBT will come in handy - keep practicing some meditation every day to build up a bank for when you need it.  It may not "feel good" every day you do it - but every day you do it will give you benefit.

So yes, I suggest that you could be helped by a 1.0 mg reinstatment of Celexa, and I just looked it up - it is available in a liquid.  If the doctor won't prescribe that low of a dose, just insist that he give you the liquid.  Say you are sensitive and want to go slowly.  I don't know what the PBS policy on liquid Celexa is - but you can try for an Authority Script.

And then if I try another ssri then how will it help with the lexapro withdrawals if it's a different drug. And reinstatement of another drug at a small dose, will it even help or just make things worse.

Do not try any other SSRI, it will just complicate things.  Celexa and Lexapro are similar.  It may need to be Lexapro, but if it were me, I'd want to see if I could get relief from Celexa.  

There is a risk involved, that it won't work.  And for a few days it might be worse - but then you will know what to do next.  You are an excellent candidate for reinstatement - you are only 6 weeks out (reinstatement works best at 2 weeks - 3 months from last dose), and you were on fairly low doses.

Breathe (you know, breathe!) you can do this!  Do you have a doctor you can go to?

I hope you see the sun today (and those mozzie bites just disappear no worries!)

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

Currently Lithium Orotate 1.67 mg only.  I will re-evaluate this supplement in 2017.

#12 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,005 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

Hi, Jamie.

Very fine posts by Petunia and JanCarol. I don't believe I can improve on them.

You are experiencing fairly classic withdrawal syndrome of the prolonged variety. A tiny reinstatement of Lexapro or Celexa might help a lot. If neither of those, Prozac.

I do not believe you'll have the same experience LexAnger had, her situation was very, very unusual.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#13 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:15 AM

44 days off meditation.
Last night woke up twice with a pounding heart felt like adrenaline rushes.. today Just feeling out of reality all day like I'm there but not really there.. with really stiff sore neck. Mild headache. If I didn't have such a stiff neck then today wouldn't have been to bad, maybe even tolerable, Someone said maybe my flue turned into meningitis 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ So that's scared me so much 😭
8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#14 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

Or do you guys ever hear of neck pain/stiffness as a withdrawal complaint? I highly doubt it though 😩
8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#15 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:18 AM

Hey Jamie - 

I moved your posts from Kindling to here, this is the place for questions about your personal case.  (or I intended to - but cannot find them now?)

Please, can you Please Put Your Drug History Into your Signature so that wherever we post, we have a little bit about your history? 

The most recent year is the most important, the last 3 years are still good information.  We don't need symptoms there, mostly your drugs, doses, dates, and changes to your doses and dates.

To check to see if your symptom is "common" (there are a lot of common symptoms, including the ones you mention, you can check against Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal

Or, if you want to read more, you can go to Google and type in survivingantidepressants symptom.  (symptom being the symptom you wish to look up)

For example, we've got "The Withdrawal flu"  or -  Muscular Symptoms or Cortisol Spikes.

Some of these might be helped by Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

or, my favorite:  Epsom Salts - Another Way to Relax with Magnesium

What have you decided about reinstatement?

#16 catnapt

catnapt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

Or do you guys ever hear of neck pain/stiffness as a withdrawal complaint? I highly doubt it though

yes esp for lexapro, stiff neck and pain is a WD symptom (also a potential side effect)

I had neck pain/stiffness while on a high dose of lexapro and I've had it while coming off.

it will go away with time

1974-2002 many psych meds, all types; longest used drugs include lithium, seroquel, SSRI's zoloft & celexa; many CT's off drugs

2002-2015 on varying doses of lexapro, as  high as 40 mgs, but usually 20mgs

June 2015: tapered too fast to 2.5mgs, then to 2.5mgs every other day Dec 2015:  found SA forum; holding at 2.5mgs 

Early May 2016: jumped off at 2.5mgs, not smart- crashed in late Sept.

Oct 26 2016  reinstated liquid lexapro 0.05ml/day at night, dose +/- til settling on 0.15BID (0.3/day)= windows and waves

Jan 8, 2017 too quick switch to single dose in the morning, 0.3mgs (bad mistake, led to a crash)

Jan 12 added low dose zyprexa for SI, took infrequently as rescue med, last dose Feb.15

Jan 26 lexapro 0.27mg Feb 25 lexapro updose back to 0.3mg due to unrelenting severe insomnia

March 1 insomnia worse, back down to 0.29 for one day, then 0.27, then 0.25- improving!! March 17 0.24  April 7 0.21

March 7 added low dose lamictal, adjusting dose based on response (currently ~18mgs)

Supplements: Magnesium taurate 250mg, chromium, pro-biotic, biotin, glycine 2grams PM, 1 gram AM 

#17 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

Also - these extreme emotions are perfectly normal in withdrawal.

We call them Neuro-emotion, because they are created by the chemicals.

#18 Jamieandlexapro

Jamieandlexapro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

It's been 7 weeks today. Still havnt reinstated, 2 doctors said that it wouldn't be therapeutical and doesn't believe its withdrawal. Made me cry in the doctors office. Havnt found a doctor yet that believes me.

And I've been going through all the links you have given me Jancarol, I like the checklist also, thank you. I want to print it and show the doctor. So thank you so much.

I eat a large tin of serina tuna every day for omega 3 because I can't tolerate any tablets right now, I tried. And the only way I can handle magnesium is 20% daily needs in sultana bran. I'm eating strawberries for inflammation, and yogurt for probiotics.

And thank you catnapt neck pain is horrible but thank you for the hope it goes away :)

My jaw feels out of alignment my neck is so sore and my head always aches. Some moment I feel a panic coming and some moment just anxious.
Some times I still feel out of it (spacey). And I feel really strange surges when my body feels strange like it's full of pressure then my heart thumps. And I get this strange sensation in my brain and my eyes go all weird, like I'm about to go brain dead. It's really scary.

But some moments I can ignore some of it, but with in 5-10 mins it's all back..

I'm trying to hold on. Some lady said to me she was on lexapro for 7 years and had one bottle to tapper with, guessing bottles are a month supply? We only get 2 weeks worth. And she went through physical symptoms for a month then emotional ones anxiety anger up until 3 months. Now she's managing her emotions but just has headaches and fatigue left. So I guess that gives me hope.
I've got a 90 day countdown on, and if by then I'm worse or have showed improvements, I'll then decide if I need them or not.
Then just tell the doctor in need to go back on. And will start on 2.5 of celexa. I know reinstatement doesn't always work, and I'm scared I'm going to get a lot worse, but I'm really lost, not sure what to do. Just pray I guess.

But hopefully I'm praying things will get better, and my anxiety can be controlled now that I'm older and have been through un imaginable pain. And do CBT and lifestyle arrangements. Even though withdrawals is so physical aswell and uncontrollably hard on emotions.
I'm just hoping I don't hit a wall and it gets even worse, cause this is so hard as it is 😭

I'm going to keep updating if no one minds. It helps me to tell people how I'm going and get feedback 😊

Withdrawals = Sucks!
8 years lexapro.
July-September 5mg

#19 Blondiee1915

Blondiee1915

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

Hi Jamie -

I am so sorry you have to go through this specially having kids :/ I was also on lexapro for 9 years with other meds in between. Getting of this medication is hard and challenging for sure . I basically did cold turkey back in the summer for 2016 then had to reinstate back in October and still didn't do well so I switched to another med and still struggling on it as well . I am mostly fatigued and anxious and spacey and dizzy . I really hope it will get better for all of us . And I completely understand how doctors don't believe us . If I go see my shrink she would just say it is anxiety and will switch me to another med or increase the dose
  • Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop.  Most lasted 3 months, was forced to reinstate due to severe symptoms 
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other medications: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil (each med about 2-4 months).  
  • MOI Nardil  2014 - 2015
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 

Started to withdraw from Vibryiid around mid -June'16 with last dose in in July. Felt pretty good for the whole summer. Some anxiety, dizziness, short fuse, some weakness but okay overall. Comes October - dizziness, spinning, off balance feeling, FATIGUE, anxiety, fear, racing thoughts, insomnia, DP/DR

Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, then increased to 5 mg  Some relief, sleep better, severe DP/DR decreased.  Still very anxious, exhausted, dizzy. 

Switched 12/26/16 Luvox 50 mg (25 mg am and 25 mg pm).  Dizziness, exhaustion, anxiety, DP/DR

1/13/17 switched to one dose of Luvox 50 mg before bed.  EXHAUSTED, dizzy, weakness, off balance, anxiety, DP/DR

1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM.  Main symptoms: FATIGUE, dizziness, DP/DR, anxiety 

Supplements: iron, fish oil, vitamin D, methyl folate, Mitochondiral NRG (for fatigue)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Withdrawals, lexapro