I am on Fetzima80 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Depacote 1000mg, Desaryl 600 mugs Klonapin4mg, Neurontin 1000 mg, Clonadine 25 mg, Percocet2 tabs/day and Tinzanadine 3 tabs/day plus meds forthyroid and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I feel like the meds are a major food group and I'm sick of taking so many meds I have been on this regiment for10 years.

I need help on Howard whatto taper off first?

Viv57

I have been on Trazadone at 600mg 4 tablets at night to sleep for 10 years. I have recently reduced it to 300 mg with anxiety as a result. But the anxiety so far after a week has been manageable.

Viv57

Today April 11 th 2017 I started my taper offGeodon a hyperglycemic antipsychotic med prescribed for Bipolar Disorder. I am On a Keto Diet, high fat low carb. This is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs per day. This is supposed to be healthier on the brain. I took one of the time released capsules, opened it and poured the small end of the capsule in the garbage. I closed the cap and took it with my other meds as usual. 6 hours later I am fine. I plan to do the same with my nightly dose and hold for 2 weeks and reduce again until they are empty.

Thoughts? Comments?

Viv57

Welcome to the forum. Check out the tapering sections on this site . You will find a lot of guidance there.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Viv, welcome to SA.  You are taking a lot of drugs and we also need to know the other drugs you are taking for thyroid and RA. Please don't reduce anything else until we have looked closely at your list. The reductions that you have made already are much higher than we would recommend and could make you feel unwell with withdrawal. 

Could you fill out your signature for us? We ask all our members to do this, it helps us to see your drug history at a glance when it appears at the bottom of each post. We need the drugs you are taking and when you started taking them. As there are a lot of them just the drug and start date if possible. Also any that you might have stopped recently.  This is a shocking cocktail and will need very careful tapering.  You can find details how to do your sifgnature here, it includes how to do this on a phone or tablet. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I am so glad that you found us, together we will try and reduce your drug load safely when we have  the information. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Viv,

I'm glad you found this site and posted an introduction. You are on a lot of medications with possible interactions, so its good you are considering reducing some of them. How are you feeling at the moment?

As MammaP wrote, you need to slow down and learn how to taper safely, because stopping them too fast, or in the wrong order could cause worse problems in the long run, and could lead to even more drugs being prescribed.

A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best possible chance at successfully coming of the drugs without having to go back on them.

When we have a clear picture of your drug history and current regime, we will be able to suggest where to go from here.

But for now, here are a few links with some basic information about safe tapering to get you started:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

How do I find messages?

Click on the little envelope in the top right hand corner.

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

When we have a few more details, we will be in a better position to offer support and suggestions.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Petunia,

I chose Geodon out of my cocktail because I've been on it for a long time as in years and most especially because of its hyperglycemic properties which I didn't know about until I started checking my blood sugar, fasting in the 90's! It should be in the 70's according to the doc. So I do not want diabetes so this is the one to go first while I have a benzo to cushion the reduction.

I did dump the small end of the capsule yesterday and for 1/2 the day I felt fine The came anxiety, headache and general feeling of unease. I then took the whole evening dose and was restless all night. This morning I felt fine but dumped less from the capsule so that I won't have an evening like yesterday. I agree the 10% suggestion is best. I read how to make a liquid and be more precise I shall do that with both doses per day. I can deal with a little discomfort but not as severe that it effects my day to day functioning. I shall continue to keep you updated. Thank you for caring and your wise advice.

Viv57

• Moderator Emeritus

You need to get the same dose consistently to avoid withdrawal symptoms. If the doses aren't consistent your nervous syatem will struggle to cope with the changes. Geodon is an anti psychotic and withdrawal can cause psychosis. Your doctors will believe it is your illess If you have any withdrawal and maybe prescribe yet another drug when you are already taking a terrible cocktail of drugs which interract with each other. 

I would make the reduction 10% and hold for a few weeks to stabilise, expecially after also reducing the trazodone recently. 

This is the interaction report.  Your doctors should be reported! 

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=704-14317,918-484,2228-1479,3483-16273,2330-1540,703-357,1147-677,72-1135,2205-1453

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Viv.

Your reasoning for tapering Geodon is sound. Please do not change dosages of more than one drug at a time, this will confuse your situation considerably. I would not change your trazodone dosage again.

You'll probably also want to know your drug interactions. Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.phpand copy and paste the results in this topic.

What is your daily drug schedule? Please keep daily notes on paper of odd symptoms from the drugs, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This will be important to figuring out drug reactions and withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a helpful note taking format:  Keep Notes on Paper

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Did you start your taper Viv? How are you feeling?

2002  effexor.