Idyllwild

Recommended books

49 posts in this topic

Peter C Gotzsche 'Deadly medicines and organised crime How big pharma has corrupted healthcare' (New York :Radcliff publishing, 2013)

Gotzsche is  a world leader in critquing clinic studies.

22 chapters with 2 chapters on psychiatric drugs.

He doesn't hold back he has a lot of damning words to say about pharma. His telling of the commercialization of prozac reveals a truly sickening story.

http://www.radcliffehealth.com/sites/radcliffehealth.com/files/samplechapter/gotzsche_chpt18.pdf        go to this link for a free chapter.......  Chapter 18... a great read.

I think The Adrenal Reset Diet is the best book I've read on managing cortisol/stress hormone problems. It is about much more than a diet. And he acknowledges that adrenal issues start in the brain. It is a fairly simply written book and diet.

For people with an underlying chronic disease that affects their recovery, my vote is for The Wahls Protocol by Wahls. Her illness is MS, but the principles are widely applicable.

Still reading on chronic fatigue syndrome....

Heres a book i have been slowly reading lately ..

Peter C Gotzsche 'Deadly medicines and organised crime How big pharma has corrupted healthcare' (New York :Radcliff publishing, 2013)

Gotzsche is  a world leader in critquing clinic studies.

22 chapters with 2 chapters on psychiatric drugs.

He doesn't hold back he has a lot of damning words to say about pharma. His telling of the commercialization of prozac reveals a truly sickening story.

http://www.radcliffehealth.com/sites/radcliffehealth.com/files/samplechapter/gotzsche_chpt18.pdf        go to this link for a free chapter.......  Chapter 18... a great read.

"THE BOTTOM LINE OF PSYCHOTROPIC DRUGS How come we have allowed drug companies to lie so much, commit habitual crime and kill hundreds of thousands of patients, and yet we do nothing?  Why don’t we put those responsible in jail? Why are many people still against allowing citizens to get access to all the raw data from all clinical trials and why are they against scrapping the whole system and only allow publicly employed academics to test drugs in patients, independently of the drug industry?

Pushing children into suicide with happy pills above... people write books we read them nothing changes. 

Why indeed I notice he does not answer the question. I can't read it all just now eyes are acting badly but I skimmed it and did not see "anything new under the sun" it is all old stuff we have known for years.  The paxil 329 study... was the perfect reason to launch a change yet non happened. I have little hope... but then again I am jaded. 

I think The Adrenal Reset Diet is the best book I've read on managing cortisol/stress hormone problems. It is about much more than a diet. And he acknowledges that adrenal issues start in the brain. It is a fairly simply written book and diet.

For people with an underlying chronic disease that affects their recovery, my vote is for The Wahls Protocol by Wahls. Her illness is MS, but the principles are widely applicable.

Still reading on chronic fatigue syndrome....

I watched Terry Wahls video on Teds years ago and used part of it to change my diet and life I would say I incorporated her ideas with another book on healing the liver they were not in contradiction.  I did find I had good results while it lasted. Being hurt in the car accident meant I could not longer shop and cook like I did then... still have not gained back all it takes to pull it off. I do however recommend it if you  up to it as it does take a lot of work and thought. 

Don't know if this one will be any good as it's not yet released, however in theory it sounds excellent...

The Myth of the Brain Chemical Imbalance by Dr. Terry Lynch ...

Looks like it was released. Has anyone here read it?

Don't know if this one will be any good as it's not yet released, however in theory it sounds excellent...

The Myth of the Brain Chemical Imbalance by Dr. Terry Lynch ...

Looks like it was released. Has anyone here read it?

Yes i have .

I appreciated being able to read this book and i recommend it.

Heres an interesting thing Lynch wrote of:

Lynch read through a heap of medical biochemistry textbooks at the medical school. He identified plenty of evidence of the abnormal biochemistry of diabetes but no evidence whatsoever of scientifically verifed chemical abnormalities in depression. These textbooks had little or no vested interest in maintaining psychiatrys dominant position in mental health or in prioritizing allegiance to their psychiatrist colleagues above truth. Textbooks on the basic medical sciences such as biochemistry are particularly objective in this regard.

In reading this book i learnt what a false dilemma logical fallacy was.

It is jam packed with great quotes.

Adolf Hitlers propaganda officer Joseph Goebbels said in 1939 "Tell a lie a hundred times and it becomes the truth"

Psychiatrist Meerloo wrote in 1949,

"a lie repeated 10 times becomes believable and one repeated a 100 times exerts a hypnotic effect."

pg 293.

The law of the instrument Maslow 1964,

"I call it the law of the instrument and it clearly may be formulated as follows ; give a small boy a hammer and he will find that everything he encounters needs pounding."

In 1966 Maslow wrote "I suppose it is tempting , if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail"

Well i had Glenmullen's book 'antidepressant solution 'on my shelf for about 2 yrs now and only started reading it today.

i guess its just been sitting there cos i thought oh it will just be the same old stuff i have read before.

Well i really rec this book. As usual i am turning it into another  heavily highlighted book. Im now half way through it. Yes there are a lot of things i have read before but that is totally ok to be reminded again.

However im finding some gold im reading some things i had never heard before and will be useful to know so im finding it very informative.

Too bad about the unfortunate title though.

Sadly Glenmullen like Healy says he prescribes ssris. Gee i really feel disappointed when i read of those admissions.

That's why i put Breggin at the number one spot on my heroes list and number two is Brogan. Both these people say 'I don't prescribe'.

I wonder if Lucire prescribes?

here are some books I've ordered (second hand copies of) The reviews look good, I'll let you know what I think after I read them

Bouncing Back: Rewiring your brain for maximum resilience and wellbeing by Linda Graham

Hardwiring Happiness: The new brain science of contentment, calm and confidence by Rick Hanson

Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson

I haven't read the full thread so maybe this is here, though I doubt it...Anyone read this tome?

Drug-Induced Dysfunction In Psychiatry by Matcheri S. Keshavan

Seems it's probably a textbook and shockingly there aren't any reviews on Amazon...

It's from the nineties, so it would be interesting to know what they knew about in the early days of SSRIs and were teaching in schools.

I just realized you can preview parts of it, and it doesn't seem like they cover SSRIs/SNRIs.  However there are whole passages on akathisia, TD, drug-induced psychosis, sexual dysfunction, etc... and other drug effects from other classes of drugs, early ADs, lithium, antipsychotics, benzos...So it could prove useful to anyone who wants to learn about these other topics.