SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Should I take this psychoactive drug?

phoenix7

[NSI-189] What do you think about it? Studies show that it promotes neurons regeneration (that goes on even after discontinuation) and can potenitally grow the size of the hippocampus.

It's proposed for major depressive disorder but also brain injury. hence the reason i am posting this here, to discuss if it could help for the damage that pych drugs have done to us.

P.S.: It's not officially out for the public,still in clinical trials (phase 3 now i beleive) but hundreds of people have already used it with very good results to report..

P.S.#2: i can understand the "new unresearched chemical too dangerous to use" but please don't give me the "non FDA approved" **** cause i can quicly name 3 FDA approved poisons ,that come to my mind, used for years and still going on strong: paxil, prozac and risperdal :P

Also all the people used this reported limited to zero side effects and no withdrawals upon discontinuation

Edited by Altostrata
added name of drug

Risperdal 2mg for 14 days + 4mg for 2 days during my involuntary imprisonment on a psych hospital.

Started taking on june10th until june 25.

Never taken any other drugs prior or after this incident.

What do you think about it? Studies show that it promotes neurons regeneration (that goes on even after discontinuation) and can potenitally grow the size of the hippocampus.

It's proposed for major depressive disorder but also brain injury. hence the reason i am posting this here, to discuss if it could help for the damage that pych drugs have done to us.

P.S.: It's not officially out for the public,still in clinical trials (phase 3 now i beleive) but hundreds of people have already used it with very good results to report..

P.S.#2: i can understand the "new unresearched chemical too dangerous to use" but please don't give me the "non FDA approved" **** cause i can quicly name 3 FDA approved poisons ,that come to my mind, used for years and still going on strong: paxil, prozac and risperdal  :P

Also all the people used this reported limited to zero side effects and no withdrawals upon discontinuation

Risperdal 2mg for 14 days + 4mg for 2 days during my involuntary imprisonment on a psych hospital.

Started taking on june10th until june 25.

Never taken any other drugs prior or after this incident.

• Moderator Emeritus

Regeneration for someone in withdrawal is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

If you are starting from a healthy baseline and want to play "nootropic" with your brain, then fine.

But if you are suffering symptoms, I have every reason to believe that seeking "nerve regeneration" and growth will increase your symptoms.

The reason withdrawal symptoms are so extreme is that - the drugs change the way your neurotransmitters receive their "keys" in their "locks."

Over time, these neurotransmitters up-regulate (make more neurons) or down-regulate (make fewer neurons) to compensate for what the drug does.  This is called Homeostasis.

When you withdraw from the drugs, these neurons which were previously bathed in chemical soup, are exposed.  In the case of up-regulation, you have too many neurons and your brain will need to trim them, to achieve homeostasis.  This results in extreme sensitivity - and you don't want to grow new neurons.

In the case of down-regulation (different drugs cause different effects in order to achieve homeostasis, I won't go into that here), when the soup is removed, there are not enough neuron receptors, and new ones must be grown.  These baby neurons are extremely sensitive, and cause symptoms too.  So you don't want to hasten the growth of neurons in this case, either.

All the people who used this were not people in withdrawal from SSRI's.  They were likely healthy test subjects.  My objections have nothing to do with FDA - more to do with how psych drugs work, and why it is dangerous to play with your neurons when in a state of withdrawal and symptoms.

Again - if you, from a healthy baseline, want to fiddle your neurons (and I can't help but to wonder if your brain will compensate for this drug, too, but up-regulating or down-regulating receptors) that's fine.

But I don't recommend it for people in withdrawal or who are having symptoms. 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Unfortunately there are a lot of new antidepressants being made and the professionals are shouting from the roof tops how good they are , alks5641 , and av101 are two new drugs that are being fast tracked through their phases , and are reportedly showing promise in treating depression how ever these won't help us that are all ready damaged from previous medication , our cns is damaged and more meds will only confuse matters , it is a big gamble to try these new drugs , as to people reporting no side effects when withdrawing that's a good marketing strategy, they said that about ssri,s , if there was a magic pill that would regrow our brains back to normal we would all jump at the chance to do it , but it's our cns that needs addressing

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Any one with experience of using amitripyline for reflux /pain /hypersensitivity?

Very grateful to your responses

/trying to survive

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

• 1 month later...

I disagree with the statements above. If drugs will never help the damage then nothing will. Many of us are severly damaged and there is no way after still being this ill after 5 years that I will ever get back to the way I was on it's own. Drugs are the only hope and of all the drugs NSI 189 holds the most potential.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

Who used this? The drug is not out yet and is only in phase 2. I hope your not talking about those fools on longecity that had "NSI made" by chinese labs. I have alot of hope for this drug but place no faith at all in the longecity fools.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

Mod note:  Please see this post

Hi all,

Anyone ever used modafanil?

I took to using it now and then (unprescribed), and then fairly regular, when I was taking 40mg Celexa. I found it made me focused, energetic, eager to get things done, more social and brighter in mood.

I had read that some people use it as an AD, or an adjunct, and it did seem to counter some of the lousy effects of ADS (inertia, indifference, carb-stuffing etc).

Tolerance is the main issue, so I've stopped using it on back-to-back days, only now and then to get work done, but I do miss it as an all-round 'brightener' of mood, outlook and energy.

Tikki

Edited by ChessieCat
Added mod note

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

Modafinil got me into this mess... I research it thinking it could be a safe study drug, but ended up in withdrawal after short term use. That lead me to antidepressants from my doctor how thought it would fix me, which open the gates of hell instead. B12 never used to do the trick, although now it gives my a energy throughout the day. Try B-12 vitamin.

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

Thanks Webhead, I'll try that.

Yeah, I had researched and thought modafanil sounded pretty safe too. My main trouble was the tolerance, and that I tended to stay up later and not get as much sleep and so inevitably developed a sleep debt. But I rarely use it now, and I tolerate it fine when I do.

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

I used Nuvigil, which is similar but longer half life. This was *before* tapering and withdrawal. It helped a LOT with energy and apathy caused by antidepressants. I never used it daily. Neurologist said to use it just few times a week when I needed to work, etc. Otherwise it could cause issues (like tolerance, brain changes).

When I started tapering and getting withdrawal, I tried it again and I was not reacting the same. Even when I was stable during my taper (no withdrawal), I would get the side effects (insomnia), but not the same amount of benefit in energy and motivation. It still helps me stay awake even after a sleep deprived night and it helps cognitive focus/some sharpness, but it doesn't touch mood or motivation anymore.

I have never tried it in withdrawal and would not dare to because if coffee gives me anxiety in withdrawal, Nuvigil would probably give me severe anxiety. It has strong stimulating effects, after all. 

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

Modafinil got me into this mess... I research it thinking it could be a safe study drug, but ended up in withdrawal after short term use. That lead me to antidepressants from my doctor how thought it would fix me, which open the gates of hell instead. B12 never used to do the trick, although now it gives my a energy throughout the day. Try B-12 vitamin.

hi web I've started b12 at 500mg what dose u taking ,I will double this dose soon .  

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

I have never tried it in withdrawal and would not dare to because if coffee gives me anxiety in withdrawal, Nuvigil would probably give me severe anxiety. It has strong stimulating effects, after all. 

Hi New, my psych wants me to take Modafinil for chronic fatigue but also for a hyper-aroused / wired problem I have...

Isn't it supposed to have a paradoxical effect re the anxiety?

Zel.

Dx ASD, Bipolar 2 & cPTSD

It started well before this (1990) but...

2008 - came off Efexor & Seoquel

2008? - 2016 Cymbalta, Lithium, Valium prn

(2015 - Valdoxan < 1 month 2016 - Provigil < 1 month

2016 - Straterra < 1 month)

March 2016 - Cymbalta, Lithium, Valium prn

March - start tapering Cymbalta by 10% April 10th - reduce May 1st - reduce May 24th - cold turkey (acupuncturist fool) - pretty bad withdrawal

May 27th - re-instate. June 29th - reduce. August 11th reduce. Sept 14th - reduce. Oct 23rd reduce. Nov 20th - reduce. Nov 29th - PROZAC SWITCH - started at equivalent dose to Cymbalta. 1/2 Lovan in 30ml water - take 10ml. Reduced by 1 ml at differing intervals - 3-5 weeks - until May 12th.

May12th - Antidepressant free!!

hi web I've started b12 at 500mg what dose u taking ,I will double this dose soon .

I'm only 100mcg, but there is a good thread with a lot of advice on B12 doseages.

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

Hi New, my psych wants me to take Modafinil for chronic fatigue but also for a hyper-aroused / wired problem I have...

Zel.

If I were you I wouldn't take anything from the doctor. Modafinil is a very new drug with little research it really did work that will anyway... Don't put more chemicals in your already altered brain. Eat very well, excerise, natural solutions. Modafinil, from my experience, need in a antidepressants like withdrawal state for weeks. In the ER twice to get answers, which was all bullsh*t, honestly if I waited for another week of 2 maybe in could I been okay. Unfortunately, I took 2 antidepressants, doctor advice, and now I have PSSD, Emotional dullness, a numbing body, and my leg the worst because of muscle loss. Now here I am... Doctors and the drug they have for mental health are not working, not for me. It's all experimental, hit or miss.

I'm only 100mcg, but there is a good thread with a lot of advice on B12 doseages.

cheers ile have a look for it

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

W can not recommend that people take this drug, modafanil, for dealing with effects of ADWD. Firstly because we do not recommend taking any prescription drugs and in many countries this is a controlled substance for dealing with WD symptoms.  Secondly because it has psychotropic actions by adjusting levels of a variety of neurotransmitters, making it in effect one of the drugs we are all trying to get off of. Please refrain from recommending prescription drugs in the future. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hey, sorry Brassmonkey and everyone. I wasn't meaning to recommend it, just wanted more info. I suspected it was not a good idea.

No problem TikkiTikki-- some members tend to take even mentioning a drug as a recommendation, so we have to keep a real eye out  possible situations.  There is a lot of good information out there on the web, but it takes some digging to get past the hype.  Modafanil appears to be a very popular nootropic or "smart drug" used by "mind hackers" for "improving intelligence".  There is a lot of miss information being spread by their sites about it's lack of side effects and general safety.  Once you get past the hype you'll find that it is a psychotropic very similar to the ones we are dealing with, but it affects multiple neurotransmitters instead just the one or two we usually work with.  It claims to be non addictive, but so do ADs and the people using it on a regular basis are in for a rude surprise when they try to stop.

Please don't hesitate to ask about any drug that comes up, we've seem them all.  The best thing is to do a google search of the site, something like "survivingandidepressants.com modafinil".

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Many doctors will attempt to help you with various drugs that act on the nervous system. It's up to you whether you want to become an experimental subject.

We would tell you immediately if we knew of something that worked. As it is, we're not in a position to recommend or prescribe drugs to treat withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It seems to me it is the last bullsh*t study they put out to promote their next branded molecule to gain some millions $/€.

Before depression was caused by lack of serotonin (never proved) , now it's all about neurogenesis.

The truth we have almost no idea on how the brain works as whole. They will try to sell every new **** but you can decide not to be their guinea pig.

Sorry for language

I'm sorry, didn't write a proper diary and my memory is very bad, can't remember exactly all dosages . Here is a short summary

Drugged since i was 11 yo.

Prescribed several SSRI, neuroleptics, mood stabilizers, benzos.Last prescription was lithium, lamotrigine , 20 mg paroxetine, rivotril

Tapered fast lithium and lamotrigine with little to no symptoms 3 years ago.Since then i'm tapering paroxetine and going through withdrawal syndrome. My tapering was not   stable and that's probably the cause of a lot of acute symptoms i had .

Currently at 0.8 mg of paroxetine

Trying now a micro-taper of 0.02 cuts

15/07/2017 tapered to 0.74  (having waves and windows. Cognitive impairment, akathisia, apathy, anxiety, vision problems, depression, paranoia, obsessive toughts, extreme fatigue,  and some more: all comes in waves except vision problems wich are persistent)

08/09/2017 0.72 mg 28/09/2017 0.70 mg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 6:56 PM, Zeldazonk said:

Zel.

Hi Zel.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Didn't see your post until today. The main use for Modafinil is as a waking agent. It is prescribed for narcolepsy or people who need to be up during the night for their job. I don't see how it could decrease anxiety when it has a stimulating effect in most people. 

In withdrawal, it probably has an even more stimulating effect, since many people seem to have an overreactive nervous system. 

Hope this helps.

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6012-newbeginning-my-withdrawal-story/?p=267313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression; tried updosing to 17 beads Feb 7 but anxiety got worse; went down to 16 beads

May 2017: Anxiety improved; severe depression continuesSeptember 2017: finally stabilized!!!!!! 09/07/2017-12/31/2017: hold

• Stable on Effexor 6mg and Prozac 6mg until around 2019-2020. Side effects (fatigue, anhedonia) continued, but had some long lasting windows thanks to therapy. Windows lasting 5-6 months each year followed by relapses.

• 2019: bad reaction to melatonin 3 mg. Withdrawal after taking it 2 months. When I tried to stop it developed severe insomnia that lasted 6 months even after I reinstated melatonin. Only slept again because I took hydroxyzine 5 mg 3 times a week for few months. Stopped hydroxyzine with no issues. Sleep normalized.

• 2020-2021: Holding on Prozac 6mg, Effexor 6mg, Tapered melatonin 1 drop every 2-4 weeks down to 1.5mg. Had to hold because further cuts were causing severe drowsiness. 

• 2021: Insomnia returned due to caffeine use for few months (only started after months of use). I also had a concussion at this time.

• 2023: took hydroxyzine 5-100mg for one month (kept increasing dose every 3 days because I developed tolerance). Tapered for 1 week. After 1 month: withdrawal neuroemotions. Reinstated 5mg 2 months after stopping. Gradually increased to 25mg, stabilized, but withdrawal came back after 10 days. Kept increasing dose and withdrawal returning. Currently at 40mg. Not sure how to stabilize. 

On 4/6/2017 at 0:08 PM, JanCarol said:

Regeneration for someone in withdrawal is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

If you are starting from a healthy baseline and want to play "nootropic" with your brain, then fine.

But if you are suffering symptoms, I have every reason to believe that seeking "nerve regeneration" and growth will increase your symptoms.

The reason withdrawal symptoms are so extreme is that - the drugs change the way your neurotransmitters receive their "keys" in their "locks."

Over time, these neurotransmitters up-regulate (make more neurons) or down-regulate (make fewer neurons) to compensate for what the drug does.  This is called Homeostasis.

When you withdraw from the drugs, these neurons which were previously bathed in chemical soup, are exposed.  In the case of up-regulation, you have too many neurons and your brain will need to trim them, to achieve homeostasis.  This results in extreme sensitivity - and you don't want to grow new neurons.

In the case of down-regulation (different drugs cause different effects in order to achieve homeostasis, I won't go into that here), when the soup is removed, there are not enough neuron receptors, and new ones must be grown.  These baby neurons are extremely sensitive, and cause symptoms too.  So you don't want to hasten the growth of neurons in this case, either.

All the people who used this were not people in withdrawal from SSRI's.  They were likely healthy test subjects.  My objections have nothing to do with FDA - more to do with how psych drugs work, and why it is dangerous to play with your neurons when in a state of withdrawal and symptoms.

Again - if you, from a healthy baseline, want to fiddle your neurons (and I can't help but to wonder if your brain will compensate for this drug, too, but up-regulating or down-regulating receptors) that's fine.

But I don't recommend it for people in withdrawal or who are having symptoms. 

I think this is what happened to me. I was doing good after 2 years of escitalopram withdrawal and was recovering slowly. Then I took DHA supplement which supposedly "resensitizes serotonin receptors" and now I am feeling even worse than before. After escitalopram I could function at least and even work. Now after DHA I'm crippled and have lost my job. 

Aug 2010 - Diagnosed with major depression with melancholic features
Aug to Nov 2010 - Sertraline 200 mg + Clonazepam 0.5 mg (per day); felt bliss
Dec 2010 - Quit cold turkey thinking I recovered; range of withdrawal including OCD, Hallucinations, Depersonalization, Anxiety
Mar 2011 to May 2013 - Went back to doc, experiments with different antipsychotics, SSRIs and nothing worked; Zombie
May 2013 to Aug 2015 - Only on Escitalopram 10 mg; tapered and finally off in Aug 2015 and ever since; slowly recovering
Nov 2016 to Apr 2017 - Tried DHA supplement and caused adverse reaction; Weird physical symptoms and Hypochondria  

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy