Mercury toxicity: something to consider

WilliamWallace

I recently have been working on cleansing my system. i was on several pscyh drugs over the years but olanzapine was hell on steroids. i am on my third year of symptoms. the term 'mad as a hatter' comes from chronic mercury exposure while making hats. looking back on my insanity during withdrawal i have to consider my own mercury exposure and its role in my withdrawal symptoms. 

while discontinuing olanzapine, i developed verbal tics and jerking movements, similar to tourettes syndrome. there is an article on pubmed of a case from olanzapine withdrawal causing tics. ironically, olanzapine is used to treat tics. but eli lily pushes zyprexa on everyone including the elderly and children so thats no surprise. 

there also seems to be a link between mercury and tourettes and i have five 'silver fillings' in my mouth' and looking back i think my mental health problems began shortly after putting them in. some have been in for almost 20 years now. i don't do sugar or soft drinks anymore but a coke used to make me sick when i was peaking during withdrawal. i would imagine that the hfcs, carbonation, and aluminum from the can combined with acid hitting a mouth full of mercury sounds like a recipe for disaster. so no wonder it made me sick. 

i have been doing a cleanse and was getting good results for the most part. mostly was trying to deal with parasites and put some the EBV/CFS in its place that i got last summer. i realized too late that i was also mobilizing mercury without a binder in my gut. i was using acetyl cytseine (NAC) and MSM both sulfur based supplements. also organic vitamin c powder, b12 and glutathione. i was planning on removing metals at some point but havent done so. most of the supplements i take can mobilize mercury i realized as they are for detoxing. if you mobilize mercury without a binder you can redistribute it around tissues, organs and brain. so no good. you can get it out but sometimes organ damage can be very long lasting and even permanent.  i kind of wish i wouldn't have flushed all that candida down the toilet now bc it was probably at least feeding on my mercury. itll grow back im sure lol. oh boy love how us amateurs have to figure this stuff out on our own. but i seem to have myriad problems happening that are uncharted territory for most steroid and antibiotic GPs. 

my point of all this is i think there might be a link between mercury exposure and severity of withdrawal. olanzapine isn't easy for anyone and any of them can be hard but withdrawal symptoms and mercury toxicity are almost exactly the same. together i would imagine to be quite synergistic. i have also noticed that my nerve pain has gotten more severe and my kidneys are a little tender in addition to my tics getting worse. but its only been a short time and my symptoms arent that much more severe. so i wonder how much my mercury exposure is preventing me from becoming fully well and exacerbating my withdrawal symptoms or visa versa. 

i am making plans to get them removed from a biological dentist because you don't want to use a regular dentist. so if you haven't started tapering or are stable and have fillings in you might want to get those out and do a several months long mercury cleanup. it may make your life a lot easier and prevent brain damage. i really have felt brain damaged but i continue to improve but i still have plenty of symptoms. i know im ready for the burning hot nerve pain to be over though and the tics and pretty much all of it to be over. still one more drug to quit to boot. Lord give me strength. 

anyhow i thought it might be an interesting link to consider in all of this withdrawal business. i would be pretty apprehensive about fish oil myself and never felt super great about taking it but thats just me personally. 

cheers and God bless. 

gabapentin (neurontin) - 900 mg-1500 mg - currently tapering to 900 mg once a day. this is the only drug i take now

olanzapine (zyprexa) - 20 mg - 2011-2015 (discontinued in August of 2015)

vyvanse - 70 mg - 2012 - 2014 discontinued (fast taper)

xanax/clonazepam - 2007-2011 (rapid detox) 

short history with SSRIs, mood stabilizers, and other goodies over the years

currently taking magnesium chloride oil internally and externally. 

I am very interested in your comments and research we. I have been reading similar especially mercury and my amalgam. I wonder how to get Medicaid to pay for a biological dentist.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

prob unlikely, FDA recently reaffirmed the safety of mercury fillings being the shills that they are. 

I would just try and get a loan from somewhere, friends or family or a church in your area. maybe do some work under the table.  i have little doubt it would help you improve your hashimotos doing a metal cleanse and a parasite cleanse. you could also have a candida overgrowth. im not a doctor or anything though, just a guy looking for some answers. def keep of with probiotics but i would just use kefir, yougurt and fermented vegetables and ditch the capsules. another way ived used probiotics is doing yogurt enemas just make sure it has live active cultures. not the 'made from' type. 

typically viruses, metals, and parasites cause the majority of illnesses and disease. you can't go wrong cleansing for these things but metals you have to know what you are doing. parasite cleansing is just herbs typically that arent very harmful for your average. doing liver flushes to get rid of gallstones can help too. but i havent done much research on hashimotos or anything. generally i believe your body will heal itself if you help bring it back into balance and give it what it needs. 

best of luck. ill keep you posted. 

gabapentin (neurontin) - 900 mg-1500 mg - currently tapering to 900 mg once a day. this is the only drug i take now

olanzapine (zyprexa) - 20 mg - 2011-2015 (discontinued in August of 2015)

vyvanse - 70 mg - 2012 - 2014 discontinued (fast taper)

xanax/clonazepam - 2007-2011 (rapid detox) 

short history with SSRIs, mood stabilizers, and other goodies over the years

currently taking magnesium chloride oil internally and externally. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

WW, I looked in my mouth the other night, and for the first time, noticed that I have what looks like an amalgam filling.  It's just one - but - I'm not too happy that I found it.  

Being in Australia, where "fluoride is king" and dentists "toe the company line," there is only one "natural detoxing dentist" in my city of about 1 million.

I will discuss it with my dentist, to see if there is something I can do.  I'm sure that the offending filling was done when I was dirt poor and without dental care in the USA.  I might be able to address it now.

As a caution - I have another friend who is in a state of Toxic Chronic Fatigue, and she has several amalgam fillings.  Her doctor is afraid to address them, because her fatigue is so great, that she's worried that the detoxification will be seriously dangerous to her health.  I didn't think about this before, but I guess you can't just go pulling these things out willy nilly, without consequences.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 11 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm late to the party but am heading to a holistic dentist.  I have 7+ amalgams in my mouth, not to mention a root canal!  I had cavities as a child that were filled with amalgams and I pretty much pin the beginnings of my depression/introversion to pre-teen and on out.  I'm horrified that my whole life has been tainted by depression/introversion/social anxiety/low self-esteem and it could have been in part due to these fillings!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Just sayin'.  I was assured on this very site by a European dental person that amalgam fillings are not a problem for us.

I must have had a dozen or more.

Anyway, everyone does what their beliefs steer them towards. 

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

I just had a filling in a back tooth last week. It's a silver filling. Is there mercury in it now? Or have they changed it since they know mercury isn't good.

Now I'm really nervous:o

Thanks...

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I should have made it clear that the dozen or more amalgam fillings I had were decades ago.

Latterly, I believe they have been of a different material.

Born 1945. 

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

21 minutes ago, peng said:

I should have made it clear that the dozen or more amalgam fillings I had were decades ago.

Latterly, I believe they have been of a different material.

Oh good, that makes me feel better. But I just had one filled last week and she used silver color because it was a back tooth.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Over 50 years ago many of us in the school chemistry lab played with mercury in our hands (when the teacher wasn't looking).

I also handled benzene and, reportedly, many of the workers at a nearby refinery washed the oil from their hands with it!

Nowadays, these substances are regarded as highly toxic or carcinogenic.  One is advised not to even sniff in the petrol/benzene fumes when filling up the car's tank.

Folk with the illnesses talked about on this site can be paranoid even about the shampoo they are using,  wondering if that is what has made their symptoms recently worsen.

Lots of substances can kill one or make one ill, but we need to try and keep things in perspective and not let worry eat away at us..

Here, we can even be anxious about the water that comes out of our taps, despite the reassurances of the water authorities, our high rainfall and copious reservoirs situated in beautiful, clean, hilly or mountainous country.

The other week, the oldest man in our country celebrated his 110th birthday.  He, his father and grandfather, IIRC, had spent almost all their lives working the farmland that fringed the bank of the river on which my home city is located.

Don't get me wrong, I worry about things, too.

Born 1945. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy