GiaK

“Pseudo-Autism” as a result of psych drug injury (another consideration in protracted withdrawal syndrome from psych meds)

5 posts in this topic

I found an article at Mad in America quite fascinating and on point. I hadn't heard the term pseudo-autism but it's exactly my experience too. I'm sharing the link to the article and my comment in response to the article here.   https://beyondmeds.com/2017/04/10/pseudo-autism/

Thanks for the share and comments too!!  Fascinating and so well written really.........definitely another consideration and more on the infectious/immunity angle too.  I  could relate to a lot of what she described......some differences, some similarities........my own personal experience.......

Brilliant really.

Thanks for posting this, GiaK.  I also can relate to a lot of what she writes. 

Not long after being drugged for the label manic-depression, I was also diagnosed with a schizoid personality, which is similar to autism in many ways. 

It seems if you put someone on a large enough drug cocktail, you can remove their personality, then their humanity. And in many ways, de-humanizing patients is part of the psychiatric process, as it allows for the inhumane treatment that psychiatry has left in its wake, from lobotomies, to ECT, to forced drugging, to convincing us that society as a whole is mentally ill, deflecting us from issues such as income inequality, food injustice, lack of affordable housing, child abuse, domestic violence, etc.

With 1 in 5 children in the US being on foodstamps (in some studies, it's now 1 in 4), perhaps the rise in autism in this country is more about the lack of quality food and malnutrition in these early, formative years, as well as being born to women with inadequate quality diets. And some studies show 85% of children in this country are in substandard daycare, understaffed with activities such as watching TV instead of the kind of nurturing and attention that babies and toddlers need in order to develop social skills. 

Since the concepts of gut and microbiome issues are being put out there, it seems valid to also list the societal malfunctions that are at play. If society really wants to end this epidemic of so-called autism, perhaps we should call it out for what it is - a by-product of growing austerity. And then fix that. This, by the way, would also take care of a lot of the problems that lead to the psychiatric drug-induced form of autism, or psuedo autism. 

I read the full article by Twilah Hiari on the MiA site, which also links to her website with other great articles:

http://www.athinkingpatient.com/

I think she's really in the process of un-patienting herself. I hope she eventually sheds the autism diagnosis and comes full circle. In her brief MiA bio, she has a degree in Philosophy. Perhaps one day, she will label herself "Philosopher". 

Shep,

Exactly......on what you say about the "schizoid personality" being very similar to autism.......and the rest of your thoughts!!!! :)

Hope so too......that she is in that process of un-patienting herself and can shed the diagnostic label.  Whatever brings her the best outcomes and keeps her feeling connected to the human "race"?  I fully could relate to her "in between" status.......that where do I belong now? type of thinking and some of the reactions that she is getting from others, feelings of exclusion, etc.  We are right where we are supposed to be I suppose.  It's good.  It's good enough.  It's great.  It's real.  It is so very free-ING sometimes.

Cool on her degree in Philosophy.  I hadn't fully read her bio I guess, or picked up on that.

Best,

manymoretodays

unpatienting oneself -- unlabeling --- always good. let us be who we are without a box of any kind. 

thanks for the comments!