If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

“Pseudo-Autism” as a result of psych drug injury (another consideration in protracted withdrawal syndrome from psych meds)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

I found an article at Mad in America quite fascinating and on point. I hadn't heard the term pseudo-autism but it's exactly my experience too. I'm sharing the link to the article and my comment in response to the article here.   https://beyondmeds.c.../pseudo-autism/

Beyond Meds: http://beyondmeds.com/

I withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I took a bit over 6 years to do it. Finished on Feb 9 2010. I'm still recovering from iatrogenesis.

#2 manymoretodays

manymoretodays

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationSouthwest.....Mountain time

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the share and comments too!!  Fascinating and so well written really.........definitely another consideration and more on the infectious/immunity angle too.  I  could relate to a lot of what she described......some differences, some similarities........my own personal experience.......

Brilliant really.

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once?, Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= approx. 1200/day. Magnesium citrate orally,diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C and E.  B12, melatonin 3mcg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=300 mcg. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.

#3 Shep

Shep

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:07 AM

Thanks for posting this, GiaK.  I also can relate to a lot of what she writes. 

Not long after being drugged for the label manic-depression, I was also diagnosed with a schizoid personality, which is similar to autism in many ways. 

It seems if you put someone on a large enough drug cocktail, you can remove their personality, then their humanity. And in many ways, de-humanizing patients is part of the psychiatric process, as it allows for the inhumane treatment that psychiatry has left in its wake, from lobotomies, to ECT, to forced drugging, to convincing us that society as a whole is mentally ill, deflecting us from issues such as income inequality, food injustice, lack of affordable housing, child abuse, domestic violence, etc.

With 1 in 5 children in the US being on foodstamps (in some studies, it's now 1 in 4), perhaps the rise in autism in this country is more about the lack of quality food and malnutrition in these early, formative years, as well as being born to women with inadequate quality diets. And some studies show 85% of children in this country are in substandard daycare, understaffed with activities such as watching TV instead of the kind of nurturing and attention that babies and toddlers need in order to develop social skills. 

Since the concepts of gut and microbiome issues are being put out there, it seems valid to also list the societal malfunctions that are at play. If society really wants to end this epidemic of so-called autism, perhaps we should call it out for what it is - a by-product of growing austerity. And then fix that. This, by the way, would also take care of a lot of the problems that lead to the psychiatric drug-induced form of autism, or psuedo autism. 

I read the full article by Twilah Hiari on the MiA site, which also links to her website with other great articles:

http://www.athinkingpatient.com/

I think she's really in the process of un-patienting herself. I hope she eventually sheds the autism diagnosis and comes full circle. In her brief MiA bio, she has a degree in Philosophy. Perhaps one day, she will label herself "Philosopher". 

Locked up and forced onto drugs as a teenager - misdiagnosed manic depressive.
Developed dependency and stayed on cocktails of drugs for nearly 30 years.

My Intro: Shep's Journey

Last drug cocktail: Seroquel, Halcion, Klonopin, Sonata, Vibrydd, and Dexetrine

After 30 years of polydrug use, completely med free May 22, 2015.

Remaining symptoms: dp/dr with memory problems and insomnia

I am not a medical professional, and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs. 

#4 manymoretodays

manymoretodays

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationSouthwest.....Mountain time

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

Shep,

Exactly......on what you say about the "schizoid personality" being very similar to autism.......and the rest of your thoughts!!!! :)

Hope so too......that she is in that process of un-patienting herself and can shed the diagnostic label.  Whatever brings her the best outcomes and keeps her feeling connected to the human "race"?  I fully could relate to her "in between" status.......that where do I belong now? type of thinking and some of the reactions that she is getting from others, feelings of exclusion, etc.  We are right where we are supposed to be I suppose.  It's good.  It's good enough.  It's great.  It's real.  It is so very free-ING sometimes.

Cool on her degree in Philosophy.  I hadn't fully read her bio I guess, or picked up on that.

Best,

manymoretodays

Started with psycho meds circa 1988 I think 27 or 28 total.

AD's, antpsychotics, antiseizure mood stabilizers. Lithium, lamictal,benzos, and stimulants. Some med. for narcolepsy once?, Gabapentin........probably more.  Ask me?......I probably was on it.  Haphazard W/D's by Dr. recommend or uneducated self.

10/2014- off Lexapro--had been on highest dose 10 mg. then 5 mg. for a couple of years, went from 5 mg. to 3 mg. liquid and then CT in hospital(voluntary).  I got out of the hospital on a combination of low dose adderal salts x1/day and trileptal 150mg. x2/day.

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!

3/21/2016---I did some unwise updosing of trileptal/oxcarbazepine with some stressful stuff......doubled the above dose x2 during this last wave but began liquifying again and on approximately 68mg. starting today.  11/12//2016 24 mg. oxcarbazepine  12/9/2016 off oxcarbazepine/trileptal!!!! :) optimistic

Omega3's,EPA +DHA= approx. 1200/day. Magnesium citrate orally,diluted in a liter of H2O(that I can shake up.....it usually dissolves more completely as the water gets down to room temperature) and/or Epsom salt baths prn.   Vit. C and E.  B12, melatonin 3mcg., and bioidentical hormones sublingually.  Trace mineral drops.  L-lysine.  L-methylfolate=300 mcg. Totally ready for a good long window to hit soon and getting better strings of full days and partial days along the way.  Definite improvement overall since I first arrived on the SA survivor ship.  Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.

#5 GiaK

GiaK

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

unpatienting oneself -- unlabeling --- always good. let us be who we are without a box of any kind. 

thanks for the comments! 

Beyond Meds: http://beyondmeds.com/

I withdrew from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I took a bit over 6 years to do it. Finished on Feb 9 2010. I'm still recovering from iatrogenesis.