SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

ShakeyJerr: Say hello

ShakeyJerr

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jerr -- hang in there… Keep reaching out; you are doing the right thing. Take it hour by hour, minute by minute if you have to. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShakeyJerr

• powerback

• Frogie

• Happy2Heal

Top Posters In This Topic

My overall question to members is: do you have a history of taking antihistamines?

I have been reading about antihistamines today. There are people who recommend Benadryl for withdrawal symptoms. My doctor gave me hydroxyzine for withdrawal symptoms. I tried both (no, not at the same time!) and generally did not like how they made me feel. It was kind of like I was slowing down, like I was about to "turn off" like a robot for good. Still, sometimes I will grab a hydroxyzine if things are really bad in the morning and I know I won't be lying down. It takes a couple of hours to give me any sort of relief, bit I do get some. Still, I hate using it.

So today I remembered I had some old chlorpheniramine maleate. I remember it as being rather "mild." But I didn't take any. Instead I jumped on here and searched it. Found out that a Dr. Healy recommends it as part of withdrawal management. But the members here were not too keen on it. Mainly because it is in reality an SRNI.

That made me start to think about my own history... And lo and behold! Allergy medicines were a staple for most of my life! Heck, I almost always had a bottle of chlorpheniramine maleate with me through my teen years and early twenties. I had horrible seasonal allergies.

Now here's the interesting part... I pretty much do not recall having need for my antihistamines once I started using the psych meds! Heck, the bottle I found here at home has been sitting there for years and years.

So, did my early dependence on antihistamines set me up to be a candidate for the meds?

I also examined my behavior during the years I was heavily dependent on antihistamines compared to the way I acted on the meds. And lo and behold, another discovery! My rise in anger and rage during my teen years and twenties was very similar to the anger and rage I felt on the psych meds.

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Hi SJ,

Many AD's and Seroquel act on histamine receptors, so that is probably the reason you did not need antihistamines while using them.  A question for you, how did you taper seroquel.  I am on 5mg and am horribly kindled. The tiniest drop of med send me into a tizzy.  Looking for advice to taper these few mgs.

Thanks and hope you are coping better.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

I am a reminder of how not to taper anything! I did a fast, near cold turkey of the seroquel. Then I did a short taper of he effexor where I just dropped from 3 times a day to 2 times a day to 1 a day to every other day. I am usually such a research hound, but for some stupid reason I sid not research how to get off if the meds. I wish I had. I might have saved myself and my family so much pain, anxiety, and heartache.

I do know other people here have tapered Seroquel. Do a search. I am sure you'll find guidance.

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Up and down day, overall. Obssessive thoughts and neuro-fear dominated. It's around he time I should be getting my evening window, but it has not opened yet. I am trying to keep desperation from setting in.

I think part of the problem is that I have no real routine when it comes to eating or taking my supplements or drinking my decaf black tea. I am in a "magic bullet"/use-as-needed frame of mind. I need to formulate a schedule and try to stick to it. I am open to suggestions, especially on when to take supplements, and when to augment with things like decaf black tea or chamomile tea.

SJ

Hi ShakeyJerr, I'm sorry you are having a bad wave. I am sending warm prayers your way. Take care.

Apr 09 2013 started taking 30mg Remeron

Oct 10 2013 began tapering 27 mg  Nov 07/ 24 mg  Nov 27/ 22 mg  Dec 20/ 20mg

***Stopped taper and reinstated back up to 30mg shortly afterwards due to the symptoms that I was taking Remeron for came back. The Exact Same symptoms. I wasn't willing to live through that again.

2nd attempt at tapering.

Feb 20 2017/ 28 mg  Mar 20/ 25 mg   Apr 20/ 23 mg  May 21/ 22mg  June 21/ 21mg  July 15/ 20mg  Aug 5/ 19mg Aug22/18mg  Oct 21/ 17 mg  Nov 27/ 16 mg  Dec 26/ 15mg  Jan 27 2018/ 14mg  Mar 1/ 13mg  Mar 31/ 12 mg 

Apr 28/ 11mg  May 27/ 10 mg  July 7/ 9 mg  Aug 4/ 8.1 mg  Aug 31/ 7.2 mg  Sept 29/ 6.3 mg  Oct 28/ 5.6 mg 

Nov 26/ 5 mg  Dec 25/ 4.5 mg   01/03/2020 .65 mg  03/11/20  - 0.36 mg- omg omw to being AD free!

I also take 30mg Temazepam for sleep every night, Pulmicort 180mcg inhaler 2x/day for cough variant asthma, albuterol inhaler as needed, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, omega 3 fish oil, 400mg magnesium malate, potassium iodide, CBD oil 25 - 30mgs/day

HOPE = Hold On, Pain Ends

Hi ShakeyJerr, I'm sorry you are having a bad wave. I am sending warm prayers your way. Take care.

Thanks, Kitson! Prayers for you too.

Strange symptom...

Does anyone else feel like drifting off for a nap feels like you are dying?

I do not get the sensation when falling asleep for the evening. But if I am tired during the day and cannot occupy myself and start to drift off into a nap, I get the feeling like I am shutting off like some sort of robot, or like my heart is about to stop like I am dying.

Very strange, and very disconcerting.

SJ

I take most of my supplements in the morning. It might not be the optimal time but I think of them as giving my body daily nutrition it might need rather than trying to manage hour to hour symptoms but sometimes if I'm extra stressed I'll take extra later in the day. 

The napping thing sounds unpleasant but I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's probably best that you sleep when you can for now until you're able to sleep better at night.  Hopefully that feeling will pass in time. 

How's the shaking? Getting any milder at all? 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

I take most of my supplements in the morning. It might not be the optimal time but I think of them as giving my body daily nutrition it might need rather than trying to manage hour to hour symptoms but sometimes if I'm extra stressed I'll take extra later in the day. 

The napping thing sounds unpleasant but I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's probably best that you sleep when you can for now until you're able to sleep better at night.  Hopefully that feeling will pass in time. 

How's the shaking? Getting any milder at all?

The daily nutrition approach sounds like a good way to think about it. I know that I personally need to get rid of my "magic bullet"/symptom management thinking. That sort of thinking has me chasing a cure instead of pursuing a lifestyle.

As for he shaking, it gets tolerable sometimes. Other times I look like I have a vibrating machine attached to me!

SJ

ShakeyJerr -

You mentioned two things in previous post that really hit home with me.

1.  You made a comment about how slow time seems to move and I agree 100%.  I have had the same experience.  I think when you are feeling so bad times just seems to drag on and on.  If you are doing things you like and having a good time then time does fly by.  I will look at the clock sometimes and think "it's only 10:00am ugh"  I also think tossing and turning at night causes us to be ahead much longer in the day and that also makes the day drag.  I tend to look at the clock during the day and I think watching the clock makes time stand still.

2. You said that other people having a good time is a trigger for you and I get that too.  Through this whole process of w/d I have gotten jealous of my friends going out and having fun while I sat at home miserable.  I would even get mad and jealous of my family enjoy themselves while I suffered.  I found myself comparing how I felt with everyone else.  I can remember watching children having fun at a playground and being envious of them having fun.  That's what children are suppose to do and it bothered me.  It is human nature to want to be having fun and not sitting at home feeling sick.

I hope you had a better weekend.

Hugs!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

I think a big issue here is having too much time on our hands. I know that I could be on this site ALL DAY long reading and relating to the stories and symptoms of many, many, many other sufferers. Truly....I have.

My main problem is anhedonia. Lack of love, joy, passion....makes for a miserable Christian testimony! It's a major struggle.

That aside....I noticed the more I check this site out, the more I'm reminded of my own symptoms. It's like heaping on MORE than what's really there.

I have found that running, or even going for a walk is very good for change of scenery. Sitting within four walls all day dwelling on four main problems all day is very counter productive.

Even if I don't find ANY joy or satisfaction in anything that I do, if I have to go through the motions until I do, so be it.

This in and of itself seems very daunting and not helpful at all....but any distraction is more benefit than stewing on what's going on internally.

The brain is a funny thing. I'm 8 months med free and I tell you what.....I'm probably 60% better than I was at 8 weeks. I look at the last 8 months of my life and I am very hopeful for the state I'll be in 6 more months down the road. (Something I never would have been able to say 4 months in)

I am bipolar II, I had a manic episode back in march of 2016. If my understanding is correct, it takes a considerable amount of time for the brain to heal post mania. Throw in a med or two and that tends to complicate it a bit.

As far as supplements go, continue fish OR flax seed oil. I freeze my fish oil because it seems to help with burps. Magnesium is something I prefer to take in the evening because it does seem to make me a bit more relaxed and tired feeling.

Something I'm very keen on is a supplement called Lithium Orotate. My doctor is GREAT and decided to go with that rather than a prescription of high dose lithium carbonate that can be very toxic. If you search "John Gray on Lithium Orotate" I think you'll be very encouraged by his information. I'm amazed by how many people don't know about this cost effective alternative.

Amino acids are important. I take an amino acid complex in capsule form now but I'm very fond of  Maxi HGH from Food Science of Vermont....I think they changed the name to meta amino formula or something like that.

I believe that it helped me avoid all the weight gain that occurs when on AD's or AP's.

There is so much information out there. I eat the meat and spit out the bones. What works for some may not work for others.

I'll end by saying that I think it's more of a "time" thing than a "what can I take?" thing. I've been taking supplements consistently for over the past year, while I believe they have helped I think the BIGGEST factor is time.

The trouble here is....people can't see the brain. We can see a broken arm secured in a cast. Eventually the bone heals and the cast can come off. The arm is a bit more pale, thin, has more hair on it but.....after some more time....it regains it's healthy look and feel.

I took Risperdal, it pulled me out of mania (secured the brain-the cast). Stopped taking the med (cast off), there's still recovery taking place. It's a process. Unfortunately it's longer than we all would like.....but things are happening.

Take care!

Risperidone (Risperdal)-3mg from May 2016-Sept.

Thanks O2bhappy and UnderPressure! Lots of great insight! Waiting patiently for healing - waiting patiently for anything! - has always been hard for me. I think it is hard for pretty much everybody. We live in a quick-fix, take a pill society. The world refuses to slow down just because we have an infirmity and need time to heal.

I guess for me a big part of it is my desire to serve my family, to serve God, and to actually live. On the meds, I did such a bad job of that. Heck, I don;t even think those things really factored into my thinking. I was a me-me-me person. I have to remember that I got off of the meds to find out who God made me to be. And I am finding out! The real me is loving and gentle and understanding and truly wants what is best for my loved ones and for everyone. But even then, I am in a quick-fix frame of mind. I see the pressures that my family are under, and I want to be healed and whole so that I can be used by God as a pressure-release valve for them. I want to serve and see them thrive. But between the withdrawal, and now whatever is going on with my back* - it just seems like I will never be able to do that.

* - I have always had back problems. They come and they go with stretching and anti-inflammatory drugs. But now I won't take any tylenol or ibuprofen; they exacerbate my withdrawal symptoms. Recently I have developed a very bad pain in my back that only laying down seems to relieve. I should probably get it checked out, but I am so tired of doctors and medicine.

SJ

Uh oh... I am suddenly depressed. Lord God, please do not let this depression take me in its grip.

Hard night. Lots of back pain. Had a hard time actually moving in the morning. But I did get out of bed and got to the office. Still have the pain, though thank God it has dialed back considerably. I think if I could get past the back pain, my emotions would improve.

The depression appears to have passed. I'm back to my internal tremors, body aches, and those zaps I get in my arms. And anxiety. But again, I am made to wonder about the chicken and egg - am I anxious because of my physical symptoms, or did my physical symptoms result from being anxious.

I got a lot of great input on the theological issues I am struggling with. Especially over in the prayer thread - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5849-lets-pray-for-one-another/?p=285042- thanks, Triplem!

I will endeavor to press into God. I know one thing I really need to do is stop looking all helter-skelter for that "magic bullet" solution (a common theme my entire life!). I need to be mindful and accepting, while resolved to heal the proper way and in God's timing.

SJ

I need to confess something... While I was on the Effexor and Seroquel, I would often get suicidal. I used to say I had the thoughts but would/did never act/ed upon them. But in retrospect, that is not true. I would get into fights with my wife, get super-manic, and down two to three times the amount of pills I had been prescribed. Sometimes I would say I was doing it to calm me down. But I think there are times - I know there are times - I wished it would just kill me.

Oh God! Please forgive me for what I tried to do to myself. Yes, the prescribed poisons were making me crazy. But I have always despaired of life, ever since I was a child. I so often wanted to die. Is my withdrawal my punishment? I know you are not a punishing God, but there are consequences to sin that You sometimes do not let us avoid. Are you trying to teach me to love my life, to cherish it as the gift it is? I want to love my life! I do. I want to live. But now in this pain, it sometimes comes into my mind that maybe I would be better of dead - that maybe my family would be too. I know that is crazy talk - but how much is the withdrawal, and how much is my true heart?

Help me, oh Lord, to want to live. Help me to persevere through this pain. Help me to accept whatever Your will is for me. In Jesus' Holy Name, through the power of Your Holy Spirit - help me!

SJ

I'm going through a rapid cycle of depression and terror - it changes minute to minute.

I tried distracting myself with some TV, but everything I tried just filled me with anxiety. Even tried watching some good preaching and it just made me anxious. Which in turn made me depressed.

I'm going to try some chamomile tea.

And more prayer. Prayer and gratitude and thankfulness is what is going to bring on the joy and break the chains!

SJ

It's so very hard isn't it :( To feel that we don't have control of our own brains xxxx Huge hugs to you. I know it's truely scary, but remember, nothing stays the same, things are always changing and for you slowly, things will improve. Cling on to the 'windows and waves pattern' idea when you're in a wave, cling to it like a life-preserver, because that will remind you that it won't stay this bad!

Oh my goodness, it's so hard isn't it. You mentioned listening to preaching, well I started listening to an American guy talking through the steps of AA, I thought well in some ways I'm going through what they're going through so I hooked into that, which is what lead me to NA meetings. It did help to be around people at least who were suffering terribly with their minds.

Good for you and the tea!

What about EFT tapping (just google how to do it)

What about qi gong (maybe try Lee Holden on youtube does a 10/20 minute session)

A bath?

Your job  ShakeyJerr is to work on putting together a 'first aid kit' or a toolkit kit if you like, of self-soothing techniques that will ease your symptoms to a range where they don't' completely overwhelm you, until this wave passes.

When you're in  a 'window' do some reading on here about your many options, then when you're right back in the thick of it, you can say to yourself "Right, ok, this is wave, what shall I pull out of my toolkit to do to ease things" - bearing in mind that nothing will work perfectly, it's just to ease your discomfort until it passes, and also of course, some things that work for you for example won't work for me etc. 

You'll get though this!! xxxmollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi ShakeyJerr - so sorry you are struggling.  When I feel crappy I tend to watch tv as well.  What about listening to some meditation?  I have to catch up with your thread not sure if you mentioned meditation in your kit set.  Breathing in and out slowly, a hot bath?  The depressive thoughts are just thoughts they are not who you are.  You are a strong person going through a rough time.  It will be okay.  

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

When I get bad cycles I get in the bathtub (not too hot) with a cup of chamomile tea and listen too the sound of rain on a app on my phone. Then I focus on the sound of the rain .. I was told that it's important to treat this like recovering from an anxiety disorder. To stop he second fear so we don't add stress to stress. I was told that it's the single most important thing we can possibly do to help healing. But I need work on it myself. You're not alone SJ Remember I'll be praying for ya tonight.

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

I play solitaire on an app on my phone. I play for hours sometimes. I have it on one turn of the card so it's easy and when the game gets too frustrating I just begin a new one. It gives my mind something to do so I don't ruminate on my ills and I find it satisfying when I complete a game, its a little easy win. You could try something like that... a game or methodical practice that you enjoy perhaps? Maybe a board game is something you could do with your family on occasion? 

On my own journey of faith, I have a little card pack of the stations of the cross that I focus on during lent. I like the one where Jesus falls under the weight of the cross three times and on the third time he still has to get up and carry on to his death. He knows it will be hard, he knows it will hurt, he believes it has purpose and meaning beyond himself and will ultimately be worth his pain. He becomes through his suffering a better version of himself, one who leads not only the people with him towards God but the people who came after for generations and generations, thousands of years worth of people led from suffering by the power of prayer. Hang in there with your cross ShakeyJerr. I will pray to Him for you. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

Thank you everyone for your prayers and your advice and your awesome words of encouragement! I will be reading them over and over.

I am in a fear-anxiety wave these past few days, and this morning is sadly no different. I have been pushing in closer to God in prayer, so my hope is in Him to bring me through this wave and this whole process.

I am at work today. I am a writer and copy editor and proofreader. I just got an assignment to do a specific video script for a very demanding in-house client that under regular circumstances would be a challenge. But these sort of things are in my wheelhouse. And yet, it heightened my fear and panic and anxiety even more. That is the curse of neuro-emotions - they lie to you. And those lies are a tool of the devil, who comes to kill and steal and destroy. I put on the full armor of God every day, but today I'll be double checking the buckles, polishing every inch, and praying for protection and peace.

Prayer is my main weapon in my tool kit. Reading Scripture is a close second. And I do breathing exercises. But coming on these boards and fellow-shipping with my fellow travelers is a unique and treasured arrow in my quiver.

Hi ShakeyJerr,

I am also at work today and I am feeling your pain. You can do this . Concentrate on your tasks and just breathe . I also believe in God and a prayer and the power of a prayer and belief is huge . Make some decaf tea or chamomile mint I find these teas soothing . Thinking of you !

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)

Hi ShakeyJerr,

I am also at work today and I am feeling your pain. You can do this . Concentrate on your tasks and just breathe . I also believe in God and a prayer and the power of a prayer and belief is huge . Make some decaf tea or chamomile mint I find these teas soothing . Thinking of you !

How did work go for you, B? I have a few more hours. I was in high anxiety mode, then I got really tired, the really hungry (unusual for me in withdrawal), and then kind of hyper when one particularly annoying project hit my desk. Now I am calmed down a bit. Have a big meeting soon on that video project I mentioned. The guy does not really know what he wants - his instructions are rather scattered. Hopefully this will settle things and I can go home and relax without another wave hitting.

Praying for you.

SJ

So, insomnia has become a feature of this current wave. That sucks. Very choppy sleep. I get about 3 hours, and then things just go sideways with on and off sleep - 20 minutes here, 40 minutes there, and so on through the night.

I remember that sweet spot when I was first off of the meds. I was sleeping 7 hours solid, like clockwork, waking refreshed and ready for the day. Which was not a feature while I was on the meds. Insomnia and choppy sleep plagued me then too.

So many good memories of the sweet spot... Laughter, loving, time with my wife and kids. Enjoying the extended family. Connecting with people. That's what I am dreaming life will be like when this journey is over.

Funny word - "journey."

My wife has always been a "journey" person. I have always been a "destination" person. When I was on the meds, we would argue a lot during journies because all I cared about was the destination (though often times, when we got to a destination, I was ready to immediately go home - what an ass I was...).

Now I am on this journey, and I know I have to be on it, but I really want to get to the destination already. I find myself saying to God that I promise to remember the lessons I have learned already on the journey and so can we just get to the destination already. I take it that the answer to that is "No, not yet. There's more to learn."

My flesh wishes there was an accelerated learning course, or some way to just skip the class...

(Was that humor? Is that possible during withdrawal?)

SJ

Hi there SJ- when I was at my worst with anxiety and insomnia I was unable to watch any TV except PBS- for about a year. Their shows are typically slow paced, "safe" subjects, no commercials and oddly comforting

11/20/14-Found out I was 8 weeks pregnant
1/30/15-Went to ER for panic attacks, insomnia. Put on Lorazepam 2 X daily and Trazodone 50mg for 2 weeks
Started seeing psychiatrist 2/10- told to CT Lorazepam and trazodone increased to 100mg. Began Zoloft 25mg Zoloft increased 2/16 to 50mg, Trazodone increased to 200mg.

2/20- CT trazodone-lots of GI stress, increased anxiety

2/25 Reduced zoloft to 37.5mg no problems

3/12 reduced to 25mg  no problems

3/19 reduced to 12.5 mg. Hit by a 3.5 week wave-insomnia, Intrusive thoughts, depression, stomach cramps

Reduced to 11mg using liquid taper on 4/10 after a week of a great window. Started another wave 4/13-hoping it's a much smaller wave

Jumped off at 2mg 4 days after the birth of our baby on 6/16/15-massive crash

Tried 5mg Lexapro for 4 days July 2015-it didn't help

7.5-15 mg mirtazapine 1-2X week from August-January 2016 for insomnia. Sometimes used more, sometimes used less during sleep windows/waves. Quit being effective for insomnia in January 2016. 

Have a perscription for alprazolam .5mg PRN but it doesn't work on me for sleep

That sounds like a good idea, GS! As long as I avoid any news shows on there, it might just work!

Thanks!

SJ

(Warning, you might want to grab some tissues - I'm already crying thinking about this... But here's a preview, it turned out to be a good cry when it happened last night.)

Anyway, I got home to discover a very sad little girl. My daughter was upset because on the bus ride to school, she drew some pictures for her classmates. She later discovered that one of them had thrown away the one's she was given by my daughter. It broke her heart (like her dad, she is a very sensitive soul).

I hugged her, comforted her, and told her that things like that happened to me when I was a kid. And then, my tears started as I told her that I was guilty of throwing away some precious gifts too - gifts given to me my Jesus. My little girl just grabbed me from behind and hugged me as I apologized to her for the millionth time since going into withdrawal for all of the bad things I said and did to her when I was on the meds (as I said before, I was a harsh, sarcastic, yelling person back then). She just stroked my back and told me it was okay. Then I cried happy tears.

Our loved ones are our lifeline. We are going through this hell to be a better person for them. They will forgive us, just as God forgives us for throwing away some of His gifts, especially when we were in the grips of mind-altering drugs that were given to us by doctors.

See! I told you it would end with happy tears!

SJ

SJ - your daughter is a doll . She sounds insightful kind and loving . You are doing your best to be a good dad to her . You are getting better and fighting for your health for her as well . She is your motivation . Crying is good, to let it all out feels therapeutic . It is good you can talk to her and share your feelings with her and the way she responds just indicates how much she loves you and wants you to succeed .

Hope you are having a good Friday

I was actually having a great day. A window!

But now I am freaking because of some stress. My wife and I have to figure out what to do about our health insurance. She just sent me some info from her new employer. It looks like we are going to have to spend a ton because of her new job - whether we take the employer insurance or use ObamaCare (please, let's not get political; the insurance situation in America sucks right now no matter what side of the aisle you are on).

Anyway, I am on information overload and freaking out over the situation. I need to get in touch with my inner Claire Weekes and not let myself go into catastrophic thinking mode. Going to go for a walk and pray.

SJ

Evening went well actually. Nearly zero symptoms!

Now it's the morning...

Physical symptoms are low - nearly no back pain, just a little nerve pain my foot, and my tremors are ever-present.

Emotional symptoms also low in comparison to most recent mornings - anxiety is here, but not crushing, though it keeps threatening to ramp up. I have prayed to God that He hold it bay, that He reduce it, and that He grow my strength. For His strength is made perfect in my weakness.

Let's all keep praying for each other!

SJ

Okay, this is a horrible bounce after having such a good day yesterday.

I feel like a junkie jonesing for a hit. I'm shaking like a leaf, my thoughts are anxious and running into bad places, and I have a physical ache.

Remind me, please, that this is temporary!

SJ

Keep your focus on GOD and his goodness. When I was at my worst I could feel nothing for GOD but I knew He was all I had left . When I couldn't sleep and was having constant panic attacks and anxiety all I could do was listen to Christian channels in the dark things have got much better and I believe GOD carried me though

Keep your focus on GOD and his goodness. When I was at my worst I could feel nothing for GOD but I knew He was all I had left . When I couldn't sleep and was having constant panic attacks and anxiety all I could do was listen to Christian channels in the dark things have got much better and I believe GOD carried me though

Amen! Thanks! 

Well, that was a tough go there.

Woke up with lower-than-usual anxiety. Made it to work.

But then the neuro-emotions started to kick in. Had a few crying jags. Just had a HUGE one during my prayer walk break. In fact, had to take the break earlier than normal because I could feel the dam bursting.

Hopefully a good cry and time with God have washed out the cortisol and bad neuro-chemicals for now. Here's praying that they are washed away for good!

SJ

Hang in the ShakeyyJerr - you are going to get though this .