If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Map shows areas of England where the most antidepressants are prescribed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Konjo

Konjo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:17 AM

http://www.independe...n-a7680836.html

Map shows areas of England where the most antidepressants are prescribed

Doctors made more than 64 million prescriptions of antidepressants in 2016

facebook.png  
  twitter.png  

email.png  
  blank.gif  
Click to follow
The Independent Online
antidepresssants-map.pngNorth East prescribes twice the number of antidepressants per person as the South East and London Exasol

The number of antidepressants prescribed in England has risen sevenfold in the last 25 years, new analysis of NHS data has revealed.

Researchers looked at prescription data for different regions in the country and found twice as many antidepressants are prescribed per person in the North East as in the South East and London.

Doctors made more than 64 million prescriptions of antidepressants in 2016, according to database company Exasol, which conducted the research.

Antidepressant use in Britain has been growing for years, with just nine million prescriptions made in 1991, reported the BBC in 2012, when nearly 47 million antidepressant prescriptions were issued.

In the North East, doctors made 1.73 of the prescriptions per person in 2016, while in the South East and London, the rate was 0.82 prescriptions per person.

Using data on every GP prescription dispensed at pharmacies in England, the company zoomed in on each district to discover the place with the highest rate of antidepressant use was Blackpool, with 2.11 prescriptions issued per person last year.

The second highest was Sunderland and East Lindsey in Lincolnshire, both with 1.99 prescriptions per person, followed by Durham with 1.91.

antidepressantsgetty.jpg
A bottle of antidepressant pills named Effexor (Getty)

The regional disparities were plotted on a map of the country, with the researchers saying there was “a clear link to deprivation in the North and East of England.”

Blackpool is one of the poorest districts in England, according to the Department for Communities which uses information on employment, housing, health, crime and income levels to monitor deprivation levels.

Antidepressants are used to treat clinical depression and other conditions including obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

#2 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

Interesting stuff thanks for posting.

Using data on every GP prescription dispensed at pharmacies in England, the company zoomed in on each district to discover the place with the highest rate of antidepressant use was Blackpool, with 2.11 prescriptions issued per person last year.

If i am reading this correctly there are over two prescriptions per person for people who live in Blackpool. That is insane and just staggering. Not all people would be on one so that would mean that some people, a large number in fact, must be bumping the average up by being on a massive cocktail of antidepressants would it not?

This is truely mind boggling. Surely i am not reading this right.

I did a google the population of Blackpool is 142,484 (2015). 22% are under 18.

Those under 18 wouldnt be prescribed these drugs right?

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11