If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Kayann Risperdal taper success

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kayann

Kayann

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:43 AM

Help. I'm tapering risperdol and I'm looking for any success stories. I'm obsessed with searching the internet and can't find any success stories. I need some encouragement. I'm very afraid of this drug and what it's done to me. Please help.

I started buspar 15mg 2X daily in 2015, propanalol 40mg 2X daily in 2016. I am currently tapering risperdol from 1mg 1X daily. I am tapering at 5% per week. The side effects of the risperdol are as follows; derealization, brain fog, emotional flatness, depression, akathisia and what feels like a lowered IQ. I will taper from buspar when I recover from my taper of risperdol. I take the propanalol for tremors I acquired from latuda and risperdol. 

#2 Quilty9

Quilty9

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hi Kayann---

I really understand your feelings about Risperidal. I too obsessively search the internet for success stories. They're out there, but they seem to be outnumbered by horror stories. However, there is hope. I am currently tapering off. I had a terrible time transitioning from 2 mg to 1. I had violent mood swings, intense depression, fear and severe suicidal ideation. Then things evened out. I am currently at 0.25, and each time I taper, the fog seems to lift more. My friends say that I am regaining my personality. I can think more clearly. I can think of what to say to people. I am still not 100% there. My thought process is slow. I worry that I will never be as smart as I once was.

But mostly I am hopeful and I think that you should be too. The brain has a tremendous capacity to heal itself. Try not to read too many negative stories. You might check out the website Beyondmeds. They have whole sections on tapering, healing and recovery. I have found it to be a great resource.  I wish you all the best on your journey. I hope that you post again with updates on your progress. 

#3 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,005 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

Welcome, Kayann.

See our Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal forum. Also, you might go to the Introductions forum and search for Risperdal to see how people are tapering it.

I'm moving this topic to the Introductions forum as your introduction topic. Please put any other questions in this topic, and track your progress tapering by updating it.

How much Risperdal are you taking? For how long? Do you have any side effects?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.