Pepita

Physical Exercise & Withdrawal

18 posts in this topic

Hi there,

before my WD started I was very sportive. I trained at least 5-6 times a week, crossfit and martial arts- so, intense training. When WD started I wasn't able to train from a psycological point of view, I was hardly being able to care about myself.

A year later everything is much better and I started working out again. BUT I am still astonished how damaged my nerves are after such a long time. Almost fascinated because this gives me proof that I am not imagining symptoms, it's hard proof, after a demanding training I get intense symptoms after about 5-6 hours. Every time. So depending on the intensitiy of the workout I am slowly going back to my routines and I am sure that in a year or two, I will be able to go back to the full amount of my sessions.

I just thought I might share this here because as I understood from some topics physical exercise causes troubles for many others in WD as well.

I'd be thrilled to hear about other experiences concerning this subject

I have never been esp physically active, more of a couch potato, really except that I walk a fair amnt because I don't drive

now that I've lost wt, I am able to do more physically and have joined a few exercise classes and whatnot and can walk a lot faster.

I am usually ok after exercise, but the few times I've pushed myself a bit harder than usual, I have had more WD symptoms later in the day. For me that's mostly anxiety, ears ringing and some visual issues.

I think I've read that others have had to keep a close watch on their physical activity as too much can trigger symptoms.

I've become sensitive to food, medication, and exercise.  I can workout some, but if I go overboard, I'll feel the sensation of fear while drifting off to sleep.  Maybe once, maybe a few times.  My upper-body will jerk while falling asleep, too.  After that stops happening I'm able to fall asleep.  The next day I'll get really depressed and my physical symptoms usually get at least a little worse, too.  The day after that I'm usually fine.  From the stories I've read, most people's sensitivities seem to go away as they heal, assuming they take care of themselves.

I've become sensitive to food, medication, and exercise.  I can workout some, but if I go overboard, I'll feel the sensation of fear while drifting off to sleep.  Maybe once, maybe a few times.  My upper-body will jerk while falling asleep, too.  After that stops happening I'm able to fall asleep.  The next day I'll get really depressed and my physical symptoms usually get at least a little worse, too.  The day after that I'm usually fine.  From the stories I've read, most people's sensitivities seem to go away as they heal, assuming they take care of themselves.

Hi,

This sensation of fear, would you actually describe this as a problem breathing?? I've just posted a new topic about this today and my symptoms are so similar but for me that jolting awake with rushes of adrenaline through my stomach and chest is like a panic of not breathing. Also my chest feels heavy and sinuses swollen, basically not breathing very well. I've read this is due to damage to central nervous system - sympathetic and para sympathetic nerves. I'm too terrified to exercise and bring about any more of these sensations than necessary- even food is stimulating these feelings

@Evoldnahturt - it's exactly the same for me. Depending on the intensitiy of the workout (after some I am completely fine) my sleep is very light, I wake up often and my nerves feel "vibrant" I don't know how to explain this in another way:) next day I'm either depressed/tired or panicy and the next day everything is over. I can really observe this very well.

@MelodySings: Do you experience the things you describe particularly after workout or generally? I know this breathing issue very well. From time to time, before falling asleep I get this sudden feeling that I can't breathe anymore or that my body is not taking in any air.. it's very weird.. usually it passes very quickly again after a few minutes.

oh and Catnapt: the earringing I get as well after intense workout!!!

Same here. I used to jog a lot (up to 5-6 times a week and about 7km every time) and now I can't do a 2km slow-paced jog without feeling very strong physical and mental WD symptoms. I feel fine during exercising, but the the symptoms start creeping up on me a few hours after and the day after exercising is terrible. I tried yoga, but that sent me into a full-blown DR panic and paranoia episode for several days. 

@Pepita - While on ADs I felt like I could do anything. I was able to push my body into doing a lot of physical activity, even working overtime in a factory 6 days a week. I could walk for hours and not have too many issues besides being sore and fear was never a problem. Now, being off all that, pain is felt a lot more, I'm unable to do much physically (though it's every so slowly snailing it's way to getting better), and I have this fear that my heart will give out. Part of me wonders if ADs kept us from feeling a lot of the physical symptoms and now that we're off of them, or decreasing in dosage, our bodies aren't used to the pain and feeling of physical fatigue. I think it'll get better once our bodies and brains get used to this. Here's to hoping! 

@MelodySings - I had that in my earlier withdrawal, It was a nightmare, trying to fall asleep then feeling right on the edge of it, suddenly my body just feels like it's not breathing right and I just jolt awake. I can say that that symptom has gone away from me. I have throat tightness so sometimes it feels like my throat is going to close, but of course it never does and this fear has been taken over.

@dez: Personally I didn't notice any difference in my fitness comparing before AD's and while being on them. It was the same for me. only now in WD I seem to habe no conditionand strength at all when being in a wave. When I am in a window it's better but my level of physical possibilities is still very very very low compared to all that was before. Now I am in a really really bad wave- worst since 6-8 months and I feel out of breath just walking stairs. I geht symptoms after a long walk its so frustrating????????

I use to be very sportive before. I went for a 10km run around 2 to 3 times a week. I just loved it. Now that I experience WD from my fast Paxil taper last year, I have noticed that I am unable to run like I did before. I am out of breath and my muscles ache after just a few meters of running. I can run long distances but I just don't have that drive I had before. My mental symptoms don't get worse tough.  

I am noticing little positive changes in my overall wellbeing and with my physical symptoms, but the running and sport is still an issue.

I also have trouble with my weight. I eat almost nothing, I have very little appetite, but still I can't lose the few kilo's I gained since I am eating again.

WEIRD. And so damn frustrating not knowing when this is going away. But we have to stay positive and believe in our capacity to heal!

17 minutes ago, MarieJo said:

I use to be very sportive before. I went for a 10km run around 2 to 3 times a week. I just loved it. Now that I experience WD from my fast Paxil taper last year, I have noticed that I am unable to run like I did before. I am out of breath and my muscles ache after just a few meters of running. I can run long distances but I just don't have that drive I had before. My mental symptoms don't get worse tough.  

I am noticing little positive changes in my overall wellbeing and with my physical symptoms, but the running and sport is still an issue.

I also have trouble with my weight. I eat almost nothing, I have very little appetite, but still I can't lose the few kilo's I gained since I am eating again.

WEIRD. And so damn frustrating not knowing when this is going away. But we have to stay positive and believe in our capacity to heal!

yes we will heal. It just seems like forever for us - and it most certainly takes a longer time than say..getting over a cold;)

13 minutes ago, Pepita said:

yes we will heal. It just seems like forever for us - and it most certainly takes a longer time than say..getting over a cold;)

Yes Pepita, we will heal. :)  It all takes a long time, but I realize how grateful I am to life now, in comparison with before my WD. I try to make the best out of each little moment of improvement and I feel so blessed when they are there. I still savor the little runs I do, although it will take a long while before being the runner I was before. But in time, I'll get better, we will all get better.

7 minutes ago, MarieJo said:

Yes Pepita, we will heal. :)  It all takes a long time, but I realize how grateful I am to life now, in comparison with before my WD. I try to make the best out of each little moment of improvement and I feel so blessed when they are there. I still savor the little runs I do, although it will take a long while before being the runner I was before. But in time, I'll get better, we will all get better.

I am greatful too because after my WD started and I got all this horrifying information about the consequences of ADs that I am soooo glad I am not poisoning my body any more! Stoll WD, waves are hard but at least I am healing and not harming;)

Even before I started weaning, long intense cardio sessions would make me very emotional.  Twice I literally had crying spells on the way home from the gym.  Since then I've cut the cardio intensity way back and been focusing on lifting weights instead.  Been feeling better since then.

while you were on AD's it affected your workout? for me both are too much. Intense cardio or intense weight lifting. So lifting more reps less weight is better for me. When I am in a window I can handle more intensity in training. but yeah... all in all I am not at all at 100% yet. Good things take time;)

Let to my lazy self, I gravitate toward couch potato status. I'm an ectomorph so it didn't use to effect my waist but now I have been gaining some pounds when I'm too happy go lucky with the food.

Before ADs: used to be proud of quite long walks, could go downtown walking from my house in the suburbs and back again home, about an hour of walking at a moderately fast pace without needing rest. Used to play tennis and squash with some friends which would left me tired and sweating but felt good. not much of a gym guy but other than the muscle soreness for like two-three days, didn't notice any other effect, either good or bad.

Now in WD: my walks are much shorter and lighter paced, a pace like that of yesteryears I couldn't be able to sustain it without having to stop eventually to catch my breath. Last time I went to tennis I was so tired at 30 minutes I could barely sent the ball to the other side of the field. Even in the case those could be excused by me getting older, I have done several visits to the gym these last weeks, do some cardio and hitting the weights and the machines and I inevitably get sleep onset insomnia as a result, mind and body way too high to relax, heart beating faster and all body hot as a fast delivered pizza. 90 to 120 minutes of struggle are needed to drift off. Never happened before and a shame because I was truly enjoying the exercise. For the moment, I limit myself to the walks.

Posted (edited)

I get sleeplessness and mind being way too awake as well when my training has been too intense. That's my first reaction at night and the next day or days more anxiety and mood swings/depressive feelings. At the moment I am

having a nice window, therefor I feel fitter and can do more- but everything with limits and caution;) don't wanna bring on the next wave 

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote of immediately previous post for readability