Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jaco2016

How do you change your outlook on life?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how do I change my outlook on life. I'm off of antidepressants and am starting to work with a therapist so I can learn to cope without drugs (which don't work for that anyways). I feel like for most of my life I've had a negative outlook on life. At times that outlook would change temporarily. For example going to college and being excited about possible career options, dating, etc. As a kid I would fantasize about the same things - future wife, future career etc. Now that I have those things and honestly they aren't as good as I've hoped for or wanted (except for my wife and kids who are pretty great) . I dislike my job, I wish I could go back to school but I don't ever see myself ever having the time or money to do that.. it seems like the major milestones have been achieved and I don't have anything to look forward to besides getting old and trying to help my kids avoid the same mistakes I've made . So I'm feeling depressed- how can I change my outlook and be more excited for life at middle age ☹️?

Sorry retreading this I should omit some of it! I realize I can't change the past so I don't want to focus on that. My question is basically how can I change the lens I see life through so that it's not negative and pessimistic. I've started by turning off the news, listening to uplifting music, etc and it seems to help but I feel so hard wired as a pessimist I've got more work to do. Any tips from anyone who's changed from being a pessimist to optimist?

I struggle with this as well

Right now I am reading a book called "Hardwiring Happiness"

it's very helpful

I highly recommend it.

I got a second hand copy thru amazon that was pretty cheap, or you could look to see if your local library has it

I struggle with this as well

Right now I am reading a book called "Hardwiring Happiness"

it's very helpful

I highly recommend it.

I got a second hand copy thru amazon that was pretty cheap, or you could look to see if your local library has it

Thanks for the suggestion - I just downloaded the book from my local library. Looks promising!

I also struggle with this and I'm also middle-aged.

Feel about 100yrs old, physically run down etc.,

Am working on my "inner health" (gut etc.,) and hope my mental health will improve.