Cold switches of psychiatric drugs causing cold turkey withdrawal

Nickie

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.

You see I switched meds AT LEAST 50 times since 2005. I won't go into details, I was convinced that I was ill and that I just needed to find that magic pill or combo that would make me better.

The one possibly good thing is that since I've been so sensitive to meds, my doses of everything have always been very low. I'm hoping that will work in my favor.

Thank you for your input and support

• Moderator Emeritus

There are no studies, there is no objective data or scientific evidence to answer your question. And in my own admittedly subjective (but pretty extensive) observations, I can't say that I can compare the two, CT or switching.

However, from reading and comparing and mentally compiling all the stories I've read, I have to say that frequent switching of meds correlates highly with future problems, in the same way that a history of CT does.

As far as which is worse, I would need more concrete information to make a statement about that, and that information just doesn't exist. Those studies haven't been, and aren't being, done.

It seems logical that neuro-biologically, switching meds would produce a sort of biochemical chaos and homeostatic crisis similar to a CT, but probably not identical.

In other words, I can't say "worse", but a history of switches is, in my opinion, another indication for extra caution in future changes and tapers.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and I can totally relate to "I was convinced that I was ill and that I just needed to find that magic pill or combo that would make me better. "

I did that for many years.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Nothing is as bad as cold turkey! Don't do it!

I agree with Rhi, switching from drug to drug can't be good for your nervous system. Plus, you probably had adverse reactions to some of the switches and maybe even withdrawal -- you can have withdrawal from a drug even if you're on a new drug.

I believe studies have shown serial psych medication tends to lead to less and less effectiveness for any medication.

But what's done is done, you can't go back and do it all over again. Put your faith in neuroplasticity, the nervous system's ability to repair and reconfigure.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I never CT's, but I have done crossovers. There is WD regardless of what the crossover is to.

It's very unpleasant. Mania, depression, anxiety, aches/pains, flu like symptoms and insomnia.

A whole list of symptoms. This last time around for me the anxiety has not abated.

In previous crossovers I was okay. From Paxil to Lexapro was rough then I leveled out.

Personally I feel like an AD Hostage. It stinks.

Please do not Cold Turkey....this will hurt you. As for crossing over, it is a personal choice. Research, read, ask questions, read blogs, talk to people here. Gather as much info as you can.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I hate that my old doctor didn't think her taper schedule was just as bad as cold turkey. She wanted to taper me off in a month. I decided to take an additional two months to taper. Had I known any better, I would have taken the full year to taper. It makes me angry.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Administrator

Many of us have similar regrets.

You might write a letter to your doctor and tell her how you feel. She won't learn anything otherwise.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I switched from Paxil to Prozac for the purpose of tapering. Not to stay on yet another antidepressant, but to come off completely. So far the Prozac taper has been pretty good. Had a couple of setbacks but nothing lasting too long. Definitely much easier time than I had tapering off Paxil. But everyone is different. I hope everyone can do this!

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I've also had many switches over the years. I now recognize some of the distinct anxiety and perceptual disturbances in a 'deja vu' sense and realize I was likely experiencing withdrawal during the switches.

I try not to think of it.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 4 years later...

cold turky like that

in hebrew the translate say its cold  the country turkey
so what is connect to stopping drugs immidatly?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

"Cold Turkey" is an American slang term for stopping an activity abruptly.  

The origins of the term seem to date back to the founding colonies but its usage in terms of drug withdrawal didn't start until about 1921.  There is a lot of speculation as to why the term is used but no clear cut reason.  Some say it's due to the physical feelings of abrupt withdrawal from heroin, while some say it has more to do with the reaction of the body, turning cold and bumpy.  Cold refers to temperature, while Turkey does not refer to the country, but rather to the game bird that was a staple food item in past centuries and still a popular meal today.  The term really came into popular use during the 1960s when the "baby boom generation" was experimenting a lot with recreational drugs. Today it's frequently used in regards to abruptly stopping any activity.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Altostrata changed the title to Cold switches of psychiatric drugs causing cold turkey withdrawal

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy