Happy2Heal

The importance of diet

11 posts in this topic

what we eat can have a huge impact on how we feel and how healthy we are in general.
A lot of ppl don't want to hear this; they want to keep eating the foods they know are not good for them, and kind of expect that magically, they will be healthy in spite of eating unhealthy foods.

but sometimes you can get "lucky" and counteract a less healthy food choice with something else

check this out:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-blood-sugar-and-triglyceride-spikes-after-meals/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=9f8bfd4891-RSS_VIDEO_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-9f8bfd4891-23428565&mc_cid=9f8bfd4891&mc_eid=18558a9b97

"Within hours of eating an unhealthy meal, we can get a spike in inflammation, crippling our artery function, thickening our blood, and causing a fight-or-flight nerve response. But there are foods we can eat at every meal to counter this reaction."

(emphasis mine)

What we put in our bodies has a huge affect on how we feel. We all know that already, as far as chemicals/drugs go, or we wouldn't be here:/

the same is true for the other things we put in our bodies, the foods and beverages we eat/drink.

It causes me a lot of pain as well as frustration when I see loved ones feeling poorly and I am SURE that if they just made a few simple changes to their diets, they would feel a LOT better.

but, you can't tell people what to do, of course.

I just hope that people, esp those close to me, my family and friends, will educate themselves and maybe try to make a few changes so that they'll live longer and be healthier.

So many ppl eat the Standard American Diet and get the Standard America Diseases, and that's beyond SAD, it's tragic and it's preventable

and that's the end of my rant, stepping off my soap box now

LOL

and in case you're wondering, I am the poster child for a poor diet, I nearly lived on sugar and fat for most of my life.
I've changed my diet radically in the past few years, and the better my diet gets, the better I feel.

I now realize that not only was a large part of my life spent being over medicated, it was also spent being far less healthy than I could have been, IF I'd just taken more responsibility for what I put into my mouth.

what we eat can have a huge impact on how we feel and how healthy we are in general.

A lot of ppl don't want to hear this; they want to keep eating the foods they know are not good for them, and kind of expect that magically, they will be healthy in spite of eating unhealthy foods.

but sometimes you can get "lucky" and counteract a less healthy food choice with something else

check this out:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-blood-sugar-and-triglyceride-spikes-after-meals/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=9f8bfd4891-RSS_VIDEO_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-9f8bfd4891-23428565&mc_cid=9f8bfd4891&mc_eid=18558a9b97

"Within hours of eating an unhealthy meal, we can get a spike in inflammation, crippling our artery function, thickening our blood, and causing a fight-or-flight nerve response. But there are foods we can eat at every meal to counter this reaction."

(emphasis mine)

What we put in our bodies has a huge affect on how we feel. We all know that already, as far as chemicals/drugs go, or we wouldn't be here:/

the same is true for the other things we put in our bodies, the foods and beverages we eat/drink.

It causes me a lot of pain as well as frustration when I see loved ones feeling poorly and I am SURE that if they just made a few simple changes to their diets, they would feel a LOT better.

but, you can't tell people what to do, of course.

I just hope that people, esp those close to me, my family and friends, will educate themselves and maybe try to make a few changes so that they'll live longer and be healthier.

So many ppl eat the Standard American Diet and get the Standard America Diseases, and that's beyond SAD, it's tragic and it's preventable

and that's the end of my rant, stepping off my soap box now

LOL

and in case you're wondering, I am the poster child for a poor diet, I nearly lived on sugar and fat for most of my life.

I've changed my diet radically in the past few years, and the better my diet gets, the better I feel.

I now realize that not only was a large part of my life spent being over medicated, it was also spent being far less healthy than I could have been, IF I'd just taken more responsibility for what I put into my mouth.

Totally agree catnap. I generally eat well but chocolate bars  and crisps have crept back in ,time to be much more strict with myself

I have developed an unhealthy / odd habit of suddenly craving sweets before bed on nights where my symptoms have seemingly abated (I am in an odd pattern where I can be in a bad anxiety wave all day, and then feel normal around 8pm in the evening). I feel good, want to treat myself (especially after eating well all day!), grab some cake or a donut or ice cream - and BOOM! - immediately feel guilty. And then the next morning, I have my anxiety wave, usually worse than the day before.

My own worst enemy...

SJ

I wonder is it something to do with impulse control ,if that gets totally worn away from withdrawl stress.

i was thinking im great 2 years off alcohol ,but lately i have no thought process and control and junk just shoveled down my throat .

Time to get back on the wagon and think more clearly .

powerback,  I think it's ok to have a treat once in awhile. Even on the strict diet I follow, I"m allowed 10% of less healthy foods daily, if I want.

Oh yeh, impulse control- I sometimes have more now than I did when I was overmedicated, and sometimes I have less. And I can't figure out why that is. hmmm.....

ShakeyJerr  oh yes I hear you, going thru WD we really NEED to treat ourselves once in a while. But sometimes that means eating a salad that will make us feel even better, rather than the sweets that we USED to think would make us feel better. If you pay close attention to how different foods make you feel after you eat them, you'll start to want to AVOID the stuff that makes you feel bad.

For me it's kind of a habit, I'm feeling better, and I go back to the old habit of picking up a candy bar at the drug store, only to feel worse after eating it.
Writing this now, I realize I need to plan ahead for these times (the drug store puts candy bars on sale for so cheap, it's hard to resist) I need to bring a little zip lock baggie of nuts or a granola bar etc with me when I"m out, so if I'm faced with temptation, I'll have something to fall back on.

See now, your post helped me figure that out, thanks!

Glad I helped, Catnip!

I try to keep the unhealthy food out of the house, but my wife and daughter like to indulge, and when I'm feeling good, my impulse control slips. Ironic, when you think about it. Usually impulse control falters when we feel bad. But hey, this is Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome, where nothing makes sense!

SJ

Haha I just noticed what i wrote in previous post ,(think more clearly).I'm making dark jokes and not even meaning too.

I am literally desparte to solve my symptoms ,the headaches are terrible and causing me serous distress,i am juicing for past few months cause i presume it would help , could it be that ,one wonders.

I am going away in a few weeks so hope to be in a better place , here's hoping.

Glad I helped, Catnip!

I try to keep the unhealthy food out of the house, but my wife and daughter like to indulge, and when I'm feeling good, my impulse control slips. Ironic, when you think about it. Usually impulse control falters when we feel bad. But hey, this is Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome, where nothing makes sense!

SJ

I totally agree ,just shows u how the world is far off understanding our condition.

People wouldn't keep alcohol in the house if someone​ was keeping away from it ha.

My partner is amazingly healthy,but the mother in-law has junk in the house so it's very hard to stay away from it .

My paranoia makes me wonder does she do it on purpose haha

Let go of the paranoia!

I know in my case, my wife/daughter keep it in the house because it is something they like, and because they deny themselves so many other things on my account (both when the meds were making me a mean grinch, and now that they have to deal with my withdrawal).

And besides, learning a bit of impulse control will help our brains build up strength!

SJ

Yep i agree,i am working on a lot of things like watching out for the paranoia ,i think my ego is very hard to control the last few months , because of my near breakdown before Christmas I'm not working like i used too ,so i have to correct myself often and realise i need to heal,

I practice mindfulness and it is brilliant at helping me cope.

Dealing with a situation were i am not were i want to be in life and were i want to get too takes a lot of patience.

Okay - this is strange. I usually do not have any sort of appetite until dinner time. Usually I just graze during the day to at least keep my strength up.

But I was actually hungry for lunch! Treated myself to a grilled chicken quesadilla (on wheat) and just gobbled it down!

Lets hope this is the start of something good.

SJ