If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Catkins: Seroxat withdrawal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Catkins

Catkins

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorfolk UK

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

I have been on Seroxat for about 10 years and each time my depression gets worse the dose is increased. It was actually suggested by a psychiatrist that I should take 100mg, although I refused. Since last year I have gradually reduced from 70mg to 50mg. The trouble is I have terrible withdrawal symptoms even if I reduce by a tiny amount. I get really bad physical symptoms, but also get incredibly irritable and angry. My GP is not very supportive about reducing.

#2 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,666 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

Welcome Catkins,

I'm sorry you've been having problems with reducing seroxat, but you have come to the right place for help.

If your depression keeps getting worse, then this drug is obviously not working, so coming off it is a good idea. There are safer, healthier ways to treat depression. Evidence is starting to show that using drug treatment for depression can make the problem worse in the long run, and it increases the risks for other illnesses.

Is this the only medication you're taking? It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

I'm glad you refused your psychiatrists suggestion of 100mg, the maximum recommended dose is 60mg. Perhaps you should consider looking for a new psychiatrist.

How have you been trying to taper in the past, what percentage cuts have you been making?

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If 10% cuts are too much for you, its possible to taper even slower if you need to.

Here is some information specific to seroxat:  Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

The information in this topic may be helpful too:

What to expect from my doctor

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#3 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

Hi Catkins,

You might find these topics helpful too:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

And welcome from me too!

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 25mg (from 21 April 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#4 Mourad

Mourad

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

Dear Catkins,

Wow, that's such a high dose, and at quite some length of time.

I guess that your taper will have to be super-super-slow. Maybe no more than 5% per 4-6 weeks. After 15 years on the stuff, what does it matter how long it takes?

I do hope you can find a GP or psychiatrist who can help you with this ...

All my best, Mourad

Paxil/Seroxat/paroxetine 10 mg for over 20 years

Several failed attempts at quitting

Slow tapering since June 2016 using liquid paroxetine

Presently stabilising at 0,15 ml (0,3 mg) because of the worst withdrawal so far

#5 bhasski

bhasski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

Who the hell of all shrinks suggest 100mg of Paxil?

And yes please follow what people suggest here for tapering... I regret y i haven't seen this place before going CT

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

#6 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

Welcome Catkins

I am so sorry you have a doctor who has you on 70mg and now wants to push it to 100mg !!!

Have you considered making a complaint against your doctor. Whats the bet he has others on a triple figure dose of paxil? Oh my goodness.

If you dont mind me asking ...you dont happen to live in Blackpool do you ?

Withdrawal effects are also a serious adverse event SAE have you considered filing a yellow card. I think thats what its called in the UK.

Please consider advising Rxisk.org of your plight.

How much is a ' tiny amount.'

So glad you have found sa.

nz11

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am), April 2016 return to sport for the first time since drug free, Sept 16 return to work on casual basis.  28 Sept 16 (6yrs drug free), still cant sleep with any regularity, pssd continues no sign of improvement, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, brain fog still improving, psoriasis concerns.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11