If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

What kind of good effects have noticed as you started to go off SSRIs?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zxcv

zxcv

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

topic

#2 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

My personality has changed for the better. I got off of the meds (but did a bad taper, so I am suffering with withdrawal symptoms) because I just did not know who I was anymore. I was always anger, gave in to my rage, was filled with hate, and thought about killing myself several times (but never made a real plan). My wife and kids hated me and were ready to leave me.

But off of the drugs, I am gentle, loving, understanding, helpful, and kind.

Also, I used to suffer terrible headaches whenever the barometric pressure has changed. Those headaches have gone away - thank God!

I also had terrible insomnia, but now sleep a solid 6 to 7 hours a night and I am not tired during the day.

So the upsides have been tremendous.

But the current anxiety wave - plus the neuropathy pain in my arms and legs, and some weakness - has me questioning ever going off of the drugs. Nothing has helped cut this wave, which has been with me for a couple of weeks now and was the worst this past weekend. I even expressed to my wife that maybe I should go back on the meds. I have contemplated going to the ER. But what will they do for me there but give me a benzo (God forbid!) and order a psych consult? The doctors have been useless to me.

Sorry - this was supposed to be about the upside, about what is going right. And like I said, a lot is going right, praise God!

What about you, zxcv? What good effects have you seen?

SJ

Dates are tentative (my memory is shot)...

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

Moved on to full-blow symptoms from there. Been really bad since late 03/17.

#3 Lakelander82

Lakelander82

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

I think my libido is gradually increasing back to its ridiculously high levels. I'm sure I'm becoming more and more social, more at ease in stranger's company,which ironically was what the SSRI was for in the first place. Stuff is washing over me now, I don't react defensively or have an over arching need to be right all the time. Anger outbursts are far, far less common...Increasingly in a I don't give a **** attitude. More mellow all round.
May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.
March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.
23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg
23rd July 2016 40.5 mg of Sertraline
23rd August 36.45 mg of Sertraline
27th September 34.65 mg
24th October 32.90 mg
28th November 31.26 mg
4th January 32mg
25th Feb 31 mg 22nd March 30mg 14th April 29mg

#4 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

I have actually also lost a good amount of weight. Though that's really a side effect of the "food makes me nauseous" symptom of withdrawal. My pants are all too big now. I don;t want to buy new pants. I hate shopping and spending money, especially on clothes.

SJ

Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003 (I don't remember the dosages). Went off but developed symptoms so put back on after 4 months.

Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) some time in 2010 (I think). Did a self-taper during 2016 after losing insurance. Been off since around the beginning of 2017.

Developed Discontinuation Syndrome beginning with uncontrolled/unexplained crying in 02/17.

#5 zxcv

zxcv

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

My personality has changed for the better. I got off of the meds (but did a bad taper, so I am suffering with withdrawal symptoms) because I just did not know who I was anymore. I was always anger, gave in to my rage, was filled with hate, and thought about killing myself several times (but never made a real plan). My wife and kids hated me and were ready to leave me.

But off of the drugs, I am gentle, loving, understanding, helpful, and kind.

Also, I used to suffer terrible headaches whenever the barometric pressure has changed. Those headaches have gone away - thank God!

I also had terrible insomnia, but now sleep a solid 6 to 7 hours a night and I am not tired during the day.

So the upsides have been tremendous.

But the current anxiety wave - plus the neuropathy pain in my arms and legs, and some weakness - has me questioning ever going off of the drugs. Nothing has helped cut this wave, which has been with me for a couple of weeks now and was the worst this past weekend. I even expressed to my wife that maybe I should go back on the meds. I have contemplated going to the ER. But what will they do for me there but give me a benzo (God forbid!) and order a psych consult? The doctors have been useless to me.

Sorry - this was supposed to be about the upside, about what is going right. And like I said, a lot is going right, praise God!

What about you, zxcv? What good effects have you seen?

SJ

I've actually just started. So I wanted see how it's effected other people.

#6 TikkiTikki

TikkiTikki

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have reduced my dose (early tapers led to disaster so I'm moving very slowly this time), but I think i have noticed good effects.

I feel more playful and light with my kids, and better able to move past negative states. Which is kind of funny since i'm also feeling more fragile and waking with a bit of adrenaline in the mornings, and have felt teary and overwhelmed at times. But maybe this is the upside of emotions being less dampened? I can be silly and playful and positive more readily (as well as teary).

And I do feel like my brain or my personality is waking up - I'm more energetic, want to push past everything that feels slow and heavy and reminds me of feeling such inertia. I don't hate SSRIs - they have been a godsend to me, and gave me profound change when I was barely functioning. But I don't feel I can be my 'full' self on them (that's my current hypothesis anyway), so I'm gratified to feel these changes as I adjust to a lower dose.

Also - I've stopped gorging on carbs and sugar. My days don't begin and end with thinking about bread, cakes and sweets. I haven't sworn off them (like I've tried to do so many times in the last ten years) , I've just got a normal appetite again. Fingers crossed that's a real effect and not a passing mood - I have 25kg to shift!

Celexa

40mg    June 2006 - June 2009

60mg    June 2009 - late 2010

Tapered then resumed

40mg    Dec 2010 - April 2013

Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free (4 months)

40mg    Nov 2013 - Jan 2017

20mg    30 Jan 2017 - 18 April 2017

18mg    19 April - 

#7 freakZ0ne

freakZ0ne

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBangor, Maine

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

My experience is a mixed bag. Yes, I'm suffering from brain zaps and insomnia, but I'm also noticing a lot of positive effects of coming off 13 years of high-dose Paxil. It's as if I've thrown off that familiar warm wet blanket of nearly numb emotional dampening and rediscovered <gasp> the real me. I've got more energy, that's for sure. And I'm noticing a lot more in terms of my emotional range as well as all kinds of sensory subtleties. A feeling of genuineness and assuredness that I'm doing the right thing. Looking back, I'm really wondering whether my depression was primarily situational rather than any kind of genetic predisposition or organic process.

So far, so good. This is a great topic that merits more attention. Things can get pretty darned heavy around here and exploring the big picture is always a good way to lighten up the mood and find some balance.

Paroxetine: rapid taper, off completely as of 4/15/17

#8 ShakeyJerr

ShakeyJerr

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:26 AM

Looking back, I'm really wondering whether my depression was primarily situational rather than any kind of genetic predisposition or organic process.

I think the same thing. I believe the therapist who convinced me to go on the drugs did so under the theory that they would "grease the wheels" to get me through some troubling times, and to open me up to overcoming my past struggles. But then I ended up on the not-merry-at-all-go-round that these drugs induce, and the doses got higher, other drugs were added, drug changes were made, and here I am now going through withdrawal.

SJ