TEDx Talk on Neuroplasticity

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus

I thought this was a good TED talk.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks for posting Andy.

Interesting.

6.37 " recently stroke dropped from being the 3rd leading cause of death to being the 4th leading cause of death in the united states."

At that moment i thought oh i wonder what bet it to third place and then i remembered the 3 rd leading cause of death in the western world is ...pharmaceutical drugs!

I think these three things are very important in wdl

brain stimulation....puzzles or whatever you can manage, even just trying to memorize a poem or something.

exercise ...as difficult as it is just try

and Self talk...'i'm going to make it',  i would often speak back to myself whenever i thought or said im not going to make it.

She mentioned 'robotics' for recovery ..dont know anything about that one.

"Primary driver of change in your brain is  your behaviour"   9.10min

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I think these three things are very important in wdl

brain stimulation....puzzles or whatever you can manage, even just trying to memorize a poem or something.

exercise ...as difficult as it is just try

and Self talk...'i'm going to make it',  i would often speak back to myself whenever i thought or said im not going to make it.

As much as we don't want to accept it, the similarities with TBI and stroke cannot be ignored.  If you read the "famous" brain healing post from Benzo Buddies that's been reprinted here by several (including Alto and me), she references that we are in better shape to start than some of the stroke victims she has seen heal.  That is true in a lot of ways but in others psych med brain injury is harder to isolate and "see" so it is harder to measure improvement.  My strong sense it that TBI and stroke improvement are largely uni-directional.  You get better or you don't (and new science says that you can continue to get better long after we originally thought) and it can be a long, slow process.  Psych med improvement, with its one step forward two steps back, two steps forward one step back pattern is possibly more frustrating that TBI or stroke recovery.  Not saying I want to switch places.  Just looking at it from one perspective.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy, thanks for posting this. I really like the fact that she said, "There is no neuroplasticity drug you can take. Nothing is more important than practice." And she said that the more you struggle, her research shows this leads to more learning and greater structural changes in the brain.

So if that translates to what we're going through (and I agree with you 100% that brain injury and stroke are very, very similar), then for those of us who've had severe damage and have to struggle more, we will learn more and have greater structural change if we continue to practice. And this, of course, speaks to the importance of the non-drug coping skills and how they help us if we continue to use them over the years that many of us need to recover. 

NZ, your comment regarding the fact that stroke dropped to the 4th leading cause of death - "At that moment i thought oh i wonder what bet it to third place and then i remembered the 3 rd leading cause of death in the western world is ...pharmaceutical drugs!"

Brilliant connection! Yes, that is very true. And since Dr. Boyd mentioned the fact that stroke is happening at younger ages, I'm wondering if the fact that so many people are gobbling up stimulants for ADHD might have something to do with that. I know the mainstream press states that ADHD meds do not cause strokes, but seriously, anything that increases blood pressure (which stimulants do) can, over time, increase your risk of a stroke. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy