SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Chorlton: Severe reaction to SSRI

Chorlton

Hello everyone, this is my introduction. I was prescribed an SSRI. Yes I know it makes you feel worse before you feel better but I felt terrible so after a few days I gave up on it . Over the next two weeks I felt worse and decided to start it again as I was having panic attacks, something I had never experienced in my life. I again felt really bad. I couldn’t get out of bed, not that lying in bed made me feel any better, I just couldn’t let anyone else in the house see me in such a state. It was after about a week that, yes, you’ve guessed it, PSSD. I had religiously read the information leaflet in the packet and saw that this could occur but not that it could continue after you've stopped. It was then that I searched online and discovered PSSD. I was horrified. I had never been warned of this. After 10 days I stopped again. I then hoped and prayed that all my functioning would return. After about ten days of stopping I was feeling particularly bad. I have all the classic symptons of PSSD. My anxiety and depression has gone through the roof. Lately I feel absolutely exhausted and depressed in the mornings. There is no way in the world I would of touched SSRI’s had I known the possible consequences. I am determined to beat this and get back to the happy man I once was. The impact of this condition on me is immense. I have found these forums a great help. I’m looking for any support out there as at this rate I’ll end up back on antidepressants for which I’ve now got a phobia. I’m also looking to support anyone else where I can and keep a record of my progress.    

2017 10mg Citalopram for two weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chorlton , welcome to SA. I am so sorry that this has happened to you. You had major reactions to citalopram and I am so glad that you stopped instead of 'pushing though' waiting for them to make you feel better.  You will recover but unfortunately it takes time. Everyone is different and some recover faster than others, hopefully you will be recover quickly because you didn't take it for long.  Is this your first ever psychiatric drug?  I am sure it will be your last!

When was your last dose? Is there any improvement at all or symptoms changed?

You need to take good care of yourself, eat as well as you can with good simple food free from chemicals and additives. You might find that things you were ok with now upset your system. Caffeine and alcohol for instance. I had to give up coca cola, I wouldn't touch it now, the last time I tried it I was ill for 2 days! 

Be careful with supplements, we recommend magnesium and fish oil to everyone, start with the smallest dose [possible and increase if tolerated but do not start them together, or you will not know which one is the culprit if you have a reaction. Gentle exercise in the sun is important, when the sun decides to come back to the UK that is! 

PSSD, the best thing here, and I know this is going to be so hard, is not to focus on it. Enjoy other aspects of your relationship. If you try too hard it will slow down recovery. Recovery will happen in it's own time. Your nervous system has been compromised and has to regain homeostasis. Sexual feelings will come back as your body heals. Some people become obsessed and cannot think about anything else and that intensifies the feelings, it becomes a vicious circle.

I will get you some links, they deal with withdrawal mostly but the damage is the same as from a reaction.  

PSSD  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/52-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd

You will find that recovery will come in spurts, this is called windows and waves. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Magnesium 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

Take a good look around the symptoms and self care section where you will find what has helped others and what has not. 

Don't be alarmed by what you read. We have some members who suffer terribly, but there are many who has posted of their suffering and then recovered to get on with their lives so do not post any more. 

There are people who suffered for years but that does not mean you will be suffering for years. I am a great believer in taking each day as it comes. Each hour at times. You will get better, the brain is a remarkable organ that can regrow neurons, look up neuroplasticity. It is always better with a positive outlook. 

Any questions just ask.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello MamaP, thank you for your reply. You have gone into a lot of detail and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I took my last dose about 2 1/2 months ago. I have suffered PSSD ever since. As far as functioning is concerned I'm about 20% of what I was before SSRI. Within a week of stopping I felt a physical change which is a the scary part. Around the same time

I started suffering tinnitus. I can't believe this is happening to me. I feel very exhausted and low in the mornings which slowly improves through the day. I don't want to go back on antidepressants. I am determined to beat this. I have started running again and I am thinking about what I eat. My testosterone is low which is strange because I am healthy and fit and not overweight.

• Moderator Emeritus

Most people report the same thing in the mornings and improvement as the day progresses. It is very good that the day gets better, and 20% functioning is also good. I know it doesn't feel like it is 'good' but it could be so much worse. It's important to focus on what you can do and enjoy it.  When the nervous system is compromised it affects many things, it is the nerve centre for the whole body.   Gut health is important, so looking at diet is a great idea and can make a difference. 

Scroll to the bottom of this page and you will find links to discussions on diet. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mamaP. 20% is PSSD functioning. I'm out in the intermittent UK sun today. I shall keep posting my progress as reading others is a great strength to me.

Just got up and I don't feel quite as bad as yesterday morning. Less night sweats. I had a lovely day with the family. It's important to focus on the good times and not just the bad. Stay strong everyone.

Windows and waves yesterday. One minute ok, next vv low. Spending time with family helps. Woke today feeling very low and exhausted. Did lots of physical activity.

Woke not feeling too bad. The morning was quite good but uh oh, lunchtime bad. Lasted an hour then better again. So it continues. PSSD still about 20%.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad that you are getting some relief. It will be like this as your nervous system heals. It is the way healing takes place. Everything will get back to normal in time.  :)

2002  effexor. 

Hi Chorlton, I had a reaction like yours. It takes time but you will get better. You'll get back to your old self. It is a slow, frustrating process.

I'm three years out & around 95% recovered. I'd put it higher, because the majority of the time I'm 100% fine, but I'm still a bit sensitive so certain medications or illness (tummy bugs particularly) can sometimes trigger a shortish wave - nothing like the early days waves though, just highly worries and a bit snappy.

Good luck with it all. xx

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

Thanks MamaP and Farout. The last three days have been the best I have had since before I took Citalopram. At some stages I have almost felt my normal self. PSSD is about 50% compared to pre Citalopram.

Mixed couple of days. PSSD not good. Waves of exhaustion and depression. Plenty of exercise though. I'll keep soldiering on.

Another weird day. Again at lunchtime I felt trrrible. This came and went until teatime. Not one of my better days. PSSD still bothering me...

Not a good week. Feeling extremely exhausted and low at times. I can cling on because I know it will pass.Avoiding alcohol and taking vigorous exercise. I WILL GET BETTER. PDSD the same and tinnitus.

Hi Chorlton - I noticed that you mentioned a few times that your feeling pretty bad around lunchtime.

Give us a rundown of your morning routine, including actions, attitudes, and food intake. There might be a clue in there.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Hi, thanks

For your response. Routine seems to be I wake

At about 4am and sweats often start. Doze until 6.30. Get up, off to work. Breakfast at about 8.30. Desk work generally then late morning/lunchtime crippling exhaustion, anxiety/depression. Usually lasts an hour then comes and goes. Generally better in evening. I want my life back!

Hi, thanks

For your response. Routine seems to be I wake

At about 4am and sweats often start. Doze until 6.30. Get up, off to work. Breakfast at about 8.30. Desk work generally then late morning/lunchtime crippling exhaustion, anxiety/depression. Usually lasts an hour then comes and goes. Generally better in evening. I want my life back!

Okay, this is a pattern most of us get in. Our cortisol systems have been damaged by the meds. Basically, our body dumps to much cortisol and does so at an abnormally early time.

Here are some things that could help you:

1) Make your bedroom as dark as possible. You may need to use a sleep mask.

2) Be consistent about your bed time.

3) No electronics 1 hour before bed time.

4) Do not wait so long to eat in the morning; you need to get on top of regulating your blood sugar. Get some protein in you in the morning. And some citrus-based vitamin c.

5) AVOID CAFFEINE.

6) Use deep breathing to help trigger cortisol regulation. Belly breathing is key.

7) Decaf black tea helps me a little bit. Give it a try in the morning.

And most of all, remember that you will heal. The anxiety is a neuro-emotion. It is literally a chemical trick of the brain. But what can happen is that the initial anxiety can cause an emotional spiral. Do not let your mind run away from you. When you have the first thought of anxiety, acknowledge it as part of withdrawal.

Here are a couple of helpful links:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14397-neuro-emotions/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/13492-dealing-with-emotional-spirals/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10964-the-dr-claire-weekes-method-of-recovering-from-a-sensitized-nervous-system/

We're here for you. 

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Thanks Shakey. You don't know how much you good people help. I've been suffering waves of this all day. Trying to relax wherever possible.

Today I wake, get up @ 6am feel ok. Have breakfast about 7-7.30. Waves of exhaustion, depression and anxiety start. About 8ish I felt amazing. At peace with myself. It's now 10am and I feel terrible. I can't put up with this forever...

Today I wake, get up @ 6am feel ok. Have breakfast about 7-7.30. Waves of exhaustion, depression and anxiety start. About 8ish I felt amazing. At peace with myself. It's now 10am and I feel terrible. I can't put up with this forever...

Ok - you are rapid cycling. Happens to me also.

This is where your tool kit comes in -

First tool is to cleansing breath your way through the initial anxiety. Sit quietly. Put your hand on your chest and sigh out any air in your lungs. Now move your hand down to your belly. Breath in through your nose slowly and feel your belly fill with air, Exhale slowly through your mouth. Do this at least 3 times.

Second tool - this mp3.

It is a short breathing exercise / talking through of the Claire Weekes method of how to float through the anxiety and not let it escalate.

Third tool - decaf black tea. It contains theanine, which will help your brain relax. They do sell theanine supplements, but these come in higher doses and some people have a rebound effect from them. So start with decaf black tea.

Fourth tool - healthy snacks like vegetables, citrus fruits, and nuts. They will help keep your sugar levels balanced.

Also - if you are a praying person, then pray. It can help calm your mind, and if you are a believer, it is your true source of hope and strength. I will be praying for you. If you are not a believer, then find some meditation videos; they are helpful.

I cannot give you a timeline for when and how you will heal. None of us can. But I can tell you that you will heal if you let your body and mind rest. It's hard. I know. I am going through rapid cycling too. Today is Mother's Day - and my wife and extended family have a lunch out and then a get together at my sister-in-law's planned. I am in dread of the whole thing. But ruminating on it makes it worse. So my advice to me is my advice to you - remember the time when things were fine and project that on to today, use it to replace your anxieties.

SJ

Edited by ShakeyJerr

Thanks ShakeyJerr, you are so kind. Just reading your post makes me feel better. From 9.30-11 I felt terrible. 11-12 better 1200 - now bad. I will try your methods. I really appreciate the support from these forums. It feels like my brain is malfunctioning..

I do believe and I thank you so much for your prayers. I would of gone to church this morning but I didn't have the strength

I do believe and I thank you so much for your prayers. I would of gone to church this morning but I didn't have the strength

I have known those mornings!

Dear Lord God, Your faithful child, Chorlton, is in Your hands - no matter where he is. We know that You are an all-powerful, all-loving, ever-present God Who gives comfort and strength to Your children in all situations - for Your strength is made perfect in weakness, and we can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us. I ask that You send a special measure of comfort, calm, and peace to Chorlton - the peace that surpasses all understanding, the peace and comfort and council that comes from the Holy Spirit living inside of him. For You are Jehovah-Shalom - peace incarnate. I thank You that You have a plan, a purpose, and a will for our lives - plans for our welfare and to give us a hope and a future. Be the very thoughts in our minds. Help us to take captive any thoughts that are not from You and to cast them out of our heads. Help us to put on Your full armor so that we may stand! In Jesus' precious name! Amen!

SJ

Some people are really sensitive from serototinergic drugs and supplements Chorlton, also for me I need to stay very careful because if my serotonin increase a little I have an adverse reaction.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

Hi Chuck, I believe I too believe I'm sensitive to these drugs. The irony is that apart from the few weeks before I was on Citalopram I was the happiest man on earth. I am devastated at what these drugs have done to me. I am determined to get my old self back.

Hi Chuck, I believe I too believe I'm sensitive to these drugs. The irony is that apart from the few weeks before I was on Citalopram I was the happiest man on earth. I am devastated at what these drugs have done to me. I am determined to get my old self back.

Why were you prescribed the drug in the first plave? I don't recall seeing it in your hread here.

SJ

Hi, I had a bit of a shock at home. Couldn't sleep and feeling generally anxious. However I was far worse once I took Citalopram.

Hi, I had a bit of a shock at home. Couldn't sleep and feeling generally anxious. However I was far worse once I took Citalopram.

Sudden stresses, especially the ones we encounter at home, can indeed trigger symptoms. That is when you dig deep into your tool kit. Prayer and breathing is your first line of defense in those instances.

Sudden stresses, especially the ones we encounter at home, can indeed trigger symptoms. That is when you dig deep into your tool kit. Prayer and breathing is your first line of defense in those instances.

This morning I feel very grotty. PSSD is playing on my mind. Avoiding caffeine and I've got a headache. I will keep going but it's very hard. I so long for my old self. I love my family dearly and my vain attempts to put on a brave face with them is exhausting in itself. Work is nearly impossible. I am constantly advised to avoid these forums but I think I speak for you all when I say that sharing others experiences and hope gives you strength. I am determined to avoid further medication but it's going to be hard. I appreciate all the encouragement I have received so far and I get very emotional at everyone's suffering. We will get better. I am a naturally positive and hopeful man and I know that even today I will have moments when I feel better. I've described it as like going through a hurricane, clinging on to whatever I can. When the storm passes I will see what is left. Sorry to be so bleak but not having a good day. STAY STRONG everyone. They say "it's an ill wind that blows no good" Well this journey has taught me to be far more compassionate. I now look out for others and sympathise with others. I ask people how they are but I genuinely mean it. Above all I have learnt that there are some really kind people in this world and most of them are on this site. Your health is everything.

See, Chorlton - there are blessings in the midst of pain! Not only the blessings you get, but the blessings you give.

SJ

Had a good cry on the way to work. Crying is a nice release when I'm on my own. Im glad I can cry uninhibited by medication. If I can cry then there's every chance I can laugh..

• Moderator Emeritus

Had a good cry on the way to work. Crying is a nice release when I'm on my own. Im glad I can cry uninhibited by medication. If I can cry then there's every chance I can laugh..

I had some stress at the weekend and cried with a friend, real body shaking sobs. I felt much better after, tears are healing and I am glad that you had a cry and felt better. 

2002  effexor. 

Feeling tearful and terrible this morning. My lovely wife has to put up with this. How long before I have to go back on medication? Someone tell me I can/will feel better without meds...

Feeling tearful and terrible this morning. My lovely wife has to put up with this. How long before I have to go back on medication? Someone tell me I can/will feel better without meds...

I have been where you are at. Heck, I am where you are at, my friend. I feel so bad/sad for my wife and kids to have to be subjected to this. And there are times where their compassion wanes. But then we remember that God has put us in this boat together, and with Him we will endure and heal.

The desire to just go back on the medication is strong. When that happens, I remember all of the bad things the meds did to me. Then God gives me the strength to keep going on towards healing.

Praying for you, bro.

SJ