Chorlton: Severe reaction to SSRI

Chorlton

• Moderator Emeritus

Chorlton you had an adverse reaction to meds and could react to others too. Most people who react can't tolerate any of the psychiatric drugs. You are not mentally ill you are suffering from an unstable nervous system caused by the reaction to citalopram. 

You absolutely WILL get better but will take time. If you had an serious accident your body would need to recover and this is no different. Your brain is a remarkable organ and has the ability to reset itself. The nervous system controls every part of your body and is in chaos. Try to imagine your btain and nervous system repairing themselves, one part is getting fixed then another and another. As one is fixed something else goes out of line but eventually all is in order and you will feel fine again. I have a box full of wires and cables for computers etc. They are in such a tangle that it is a quite a task to find the one I want and unravel it from the tangled heap. I imagine my brain like that, all tangled and being teased out. It doesn't always calm me but it helps me to understand and get through the waves. Take good care of yourself and you will get there. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks Shakey. The day gets better as it goes on. Fixating on the PSSD at the moment.

2017 10mg Citalopram for two weeks.

Mamma P you are so right. I am so glad of this forum. It is invaluable to speak to others who know what you are going through. I WILL BE HAPPY AGAIN

I wake today a feel very scared. My PSSD has made me cold. I'm very negative today.

I wake today a feel very scared. My PSSD has made me cold. I'm very negative today.

We're going to pray each other through today, C. I have a big day ahead of me - my son's graduation from college. Long drive to get there, big crowds, lots of sitting )hard on my back, hours of boredom. My anxiety has been ramping up for days over this.

So today, let us both cast our cares onto the Lord God, for He cares for us. We're going to keep each other in prayer today and let God know that He is trustworthy, true, and that we are thankful for Him and His grace.

We're going to get through today, both of us, by taking time to lift each other up!

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Many thanks. I will

Pray for you too. We will get through this no matter what it takes..

I've had a busy weekend but at times I have felt v v low. I am obsessed with my PSSD. No one can imagine how much this affects you unless you have it. Having said that my functioning is about 40% in this department. Uncomfortable in that area and nothing visual helps. I get debilitating waves throughout the day. I will persevere. Strength to you all out there.

Hi Chorlton - 

I hope you are doing well today.

You mentioned being "obsessed with your PSSD."

First off - try to change the channel in your head. I know it is hard to do; obsessive thoughts are, after all, a symptom of AD withdrawal. But you need to find a variety of things to think about and do other than zeroing in on one symptom.

Have you read the topic thread on Emotional Spirals? I don't recall if I suggested it to you before. It will really help you stop going down the "one obsessive thought" road.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/13492-dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Trust me, I understand the angst over PSSD. When I was on the meds, I was sexually selfish and really robbed my wife of the intimacy she deserved. And now in withdrawal... Well, let's say that zero is going on in that department (not sure if it's PSSD in my case, or just the fact that we are so worn out from me being in withdrawal that we have lost any opportunity for the time being to be intimate).

Okay... Well, this has gone into the TMI Zone...

Be well. Find an innocent hobby or two to distract yourself with. Let your body heal. Take the pressure off of yourself.

Prayers.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

God bless you Shakey. I will pray for you. I hope you haven't got PSSD, I won't ask your symptoms.

I will pray for you. I was close to going back in AD's today but resisted.

We WILL heal. I cannot thank you enough for keeping in touch.

God Bless

C

Wake feeling terrible as usual. I went to the Drs the other day. I think I'm on the brink of another breakdown and/or medication. I obviously don't want either. FORCING myself to do things. The sun is shining. I sit in the sun gettingno comfort but believe that perhaps I am healing. Pretty desperate.. ????

Hello All,

Has anyone got any tips on how to cope in the

Mornings? I wake usually around 4am then the horrendous sweats start. I manage to doze by distracting my mind. The day starts with crippling fatigue that isn't relived by staying in bed, anxiety and depression. Such are the symptoms that it feels more physical than mental. These symptoms fade as the day goes on. The evenings are the best bit of the day. Constantly obsessing over PSSD.

10mg Citalopram for two weeks in February 2017

Good Morning C -

I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad these days. You are in a wave. We have all been there. You will survive and heal.

You are experiencing morning cortisol spikes. Odds are, your adrenals are fatigued.

I discovered what the call "the adrenal cocktail" to help nourish and heal the adrenals. I take it twice a day - when I wake up and before bed.

Mix 4 oz of orange juice with 1/2-teaspoon of Cream of Tartar and 1/2-teaspoon of Sea Salt.

You can use any 100% fruit juice, but citrus juice is recommended. And DO NOT use regular table salt. The Sea Salt contains valuable micronutrients.

Are you using any supplements? Let's take a look at what else we can do, or what you might need to avoid.

Here is invaluable link to the topic on morning cortisol spikes and how to manage. Do not try every suggestion at once. We need to see what works for you and what doesn't.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

Right of the bat though, take a look at the light that comes into your bedroom, and whatever light is being cast by electronics. You need to get that light stimulation down.

Also, NO SCREENS starting an hour before bed. No TV, no tablet, no computer.

We're going to get you through this. God is going to get you through this.

Dear Lord in Heaven - we are thankful that You are here with us, that You care for us, and that You have a plan for us that includes our good welfare, hope, and a future. We ask that Your Holy Spirit be at the forefront of Chorlton's thoughts. That You give him the peace that surpasses all understanding to guard his heart and his mind in Christ Jesus. We are grateful for Your love and kindness towards us, and we ask that You give Chorlton the light he needs for the step of life that he is on now. I bind and banish all harmful and recursive thoughts from his mind, calling on the name of Jesus Christ to empower him to persevere. Remind Chorlton today how much You love and care for him. In Jesus' name we pray! Amen!

SJ

Chorlton - I too have the sweats waking up In the morning with high anxiety - like you it is crippling - doesn't let up for a lot of hours then as night comes I feel much better-  it is the withdrawals - 

You will be okay -  we all will be okay - we just have to be strong, face our fears no matter how frightening it is -  just do it scared - 

Lee (f)

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

Chorlton - I too have the sweats waking up In the morning with high anxiety - like you it is crippling - doesn't let up for a lot of hours then as night comes I feel much better- it is the withdrawals -

You will be okay - we all will be okay - we just have to be strong, face our fears no matter how frightening it is - just do it scared -

Lee (f)

Hi Divalee,

I'm so sorry you two are suffering, it really is a horrible feeling. I hope and pray it soon stops. WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS! It's good to be in contact with someone who kno s what I'm going through. I would say my day starts about 1/10 and finishes 5/10, does that sound familiar?

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, ShakeyJerr said:

Good Morning C -

I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad these days. You are in a wave. We have all been there. You will survive and heal.

You are experiencing morning cortisol spikes. Odds are, your adrenals are fatigued.

I discovered what the call "the adrenal cocktail" to help nourish and heal the adrenals. I take it twice a day - when I wake up and before bed.

Mix 4 oz of orange juice with 1/2-teaspoon of Cream of Tartar and 1/2-teaspoon of Sea Salt.

You can use any 100% fruit juice, but citrus juice is recommended. And DO NOT use regular table salt. The Sea Salt contains valuable micronutrients.

Are you using any supplements? Let's take a look at what else we can do, or what you might need to avoid.

Here is invaluable link to the topic on morning cortisol spikes and how to manage. Do not try every suggestion at once. We need to see what works for you and what doesn't.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/33-waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes/

Right of the bat though, take a look at the light that comes into your bedroom, and whatever light is being cast by electronics. You need to get that light stimulation down.

Also, NO SCREENS starting an hour before bed. No TV, no tablet, no computer.

We're going to get you through this. God is going to get you through this.

Dear Lord in Heaven - we are thankful that You are here with us, that You care for us, and that You have a plan for us that includes our good welfare, hope, and a future. We ask that Your Holy Spirit be at the forefront of Chorlton's thoughts. That You give him the peace that surpasses all understanding to guard his heart and his mind in Christ Jesus. We are grateful for Your love and kindness towards us, and we ask that You give Chorlton the light he needs for the step of life that he is on now. I bind and banish all harmful and recursive thoughts from his mind, calling on the name of Jesus Christ to empower him to persevere. Remind Chorlton today how much You love and care for him. In Jesus' name we pray! Amen!

SJ

MODERATOR'S NOTE: IMPORTANT!!  PLEASE CLICK ON BELOW LINK REGARDING THE "ADRENAL COCKTAIL" FOR THOSE WITH HEALTH ISSUES:

Edited by Skeeter
Moderator's note added

Thanks Shakey for your response and prayers,

I really am at a crossroads. I truly believe I will one day heal, the question is how long I can put up with feeling like this. It is having a massive impact on my quality of life. I will persevere.

God Bless

C

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, ShakeyJerr said:

Good Morning C -

SJ

MODERATOR’S NOTE REGARDING THE “ADRENAL COCKTAIL” FOR THOSE WITH HEALTH ISSUES:

If you are healthy, cream of tartar (aka potassium tartarate) at 1 tsp/day total = 500mg (1/2 tsp 2x/day) with OJ should provide no harm at all. Daily amount needed 3400mg.
Those suffering from Addison’s disease, diabetes, acute renal failure, are on dialysis, or for those undergoing treatments that prevent the excretion of potassium from the body through urine should not use cream of tartar.  If you suffer from any cardiac, kidney, or electrolyte issues, or suffer from severe low blood pressure, or multiple health conditions you are medicated for, you should consult with your doctor/HCP before adding extra potassium bitartrate to your daily diet. When speaking to your HCP, please give both names: cream of tartar, & potassium bitartrate.

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

Hi C here,

i haven't posted for a while. Over the last month I had a better few weeks. The last week I guess I've had a wave. Morning sweats have started again. Still suffering PSSD. My orgasms are good but my penis is still shrunk and I cannot get aroused without manual stimulation. The PSSD is on my mind 24/7 which drags me down. I obsess about ending it all. 6 months ago I was the happiest man on earth. I am now the most miserable. I want my sexuality back. 

I have enough of this. I'm stuck with PSSD forever. If I ever recover you'll all be the first to know but from what I've read I'm done. Keep reading about this will only make things worse. If anyone hears of a cure let me know. No one believes me. SSRIs will be withdrawn within 10 years but for us sufferers it's too late. Love you all, take care.

Chorlton.

• 1 year later...

heh chorlton,

how are you now?

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.