Dealing with the lost years and moving forward

nicolantana

I’ll try my best to write about this—brain fog and emotional anaesthesia with frequent neuro-emotion and dysphoria makes it hard to think clearly about anything, and when I do try to think deeply about anything either nothing comes up or I have a mild headache and it hurts (emotionally and physically) and I just end up rambling or going on in circles. 

I’ve been medicated since I was 18, and started being very numb about 3–4 years ago but it sometimes breaks, and the pain and grief that comes up is painful. I’m quite stuck on the question: what would my life have been if I had never chose to take medication?

I flunked out of school at 18, I was very numb and dead. So I went to a psychiatrist and had meds, it lifted a little in the beginning, but the same pattern always occurs, depression, meds, mood lifts, depression, meds. I eventually got tired and came off the merry-go-round.

I’m pained by the years I’ve lost to this, and even more pained by the years to come, I CTed many meds, protracted withdrawals have set in. I initally thought it would take 1–3 years, I then revised it to 3–5 years, but I think 5–10 years (at least) for it to remit is very likely. I’m 25, I have spent the last 7–9 years watching my friends and acquaintances moving ahead and getting on with their lives. I’m 25 with no job, no partner and no education. I’m going to spend the next 5–10 years doing the same. 

Many times as the question comes up, it feels as if the only solution is dying, I dont really want to die, I just want my life ‘back’. But what’s there to get back?

Another question that comes up is: what if I had not taken meds and had just tried my best to deal/live with my depression, would I also be 25 and dealing with the lost years to depression?

I know speculations about hypotheticals: what would my life have been w/o meds and depression etc is pointless and futile. No one can know the future or the what-ifs. 

It’s very hard to make sense or to find peace and acceptance and hope of what I’m going through. Would anyone have books/materials on grief/acceptance that you have found helpful to make sense of what we’re going through?

I’m too self-absorbed to see beyond myself, but I pray/hope that those of us who are dealing with this can find the hope, strength, and acceptance to grief and move on that we are looking for.

8 April 2023: CT

30 March 2023: fluoxetine 60 mg OM, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg, bupropion 150 mg, valproate 500mg, propranolol 40mg, lorazepam 0.5 mg

February 2023: lamotrigine 25–50mg, discontinued due to adverse reaction

Jan 2023: fluoxetine 40mg, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg, bupropion 150mg, propranolol 10 mg

Nov 2022: fluoxetine 40mg, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg, bupropion 150mg, propranolol 10 mg

Oct 2022: fluoxetine 40 mg, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg

Aug-Sept 2022: hospitalised due to CT bupropion withdrawals (~5 days stay)

I was on valproate and olanzapine for the longest time after an OD attempt in 2018/2019

did about 17 sessions of ECT over the years

2016: start of psychiatric journey. venlafaxine 75–225mg, trials of bupropion, mirtazapine, setraline, quetiapine, atomoxetine, methylphenidate

@Rhiannon and @ShiningLight and a couple of others here have beautiful responses, but I’m too numb/dead/afraid to see the truth in it. 

30 March 2023: fluoxetine 60 mg OM, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg, bupropion 150 mg, valproate 500mg, propranolol 40mg, lorazepam 0.5 mg

Jan 2023: fluoxetine 40mg, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg, bupropion 150mg, propranolol 10 mg

Nov 2022: fluoxetine 40mg, melitracen+flupentixol 20 mg + 1 mg, bupropion 150mg, propranolol 10 mg

I was on valproate and olanzapine for the longest time after an OD attempt in 2018/2019

2016: start of psychiatric journey. venlafaxine 75–225mg, trials of bupropion, mirtazapine, setraline, quetiapine, atomoxetine, methylphenidate

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe something here Steppenwolf:

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Maybe something here Steppenwolf:

Thank you manymoretodays!

• Mentor
11 hours ago, Steppenwolf said:

I’m too self-absorbed to see beyond myself, but I pray/hope that those of us who are dealing with this can find the hope, strength, and acceptance to grief and move on that we are looking for.

This is what anxiety does and how it survives.  Anxiety is selfish and wants to consume all of your thoughts and feelings.  Otherwise it can't survive. 

I didn't start my WD and recovery until I was in my 40's.  None of the time before, during, or after has been wasted.  I took what I learned from my journey and became a better person for it.  That's why I became a Mentor here.  Our lives are the totality of our experiences, good, bad and neutral. Anxious thinking is making you see nothing but negativity and self-judgement right now, but as you go into recovery you'll see it wasn't all darkness.  

Recovery starts with you.  It's a good sign you're asking for books on how to deal with your grief and negative thinking. That means the real part of you wants to and knows you can recover if you find the right tools.  Commit to recovery and you'll find it.  Hang in there!

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

10 hours ago, mstimc said:

None of the time before, during, or after has been wasted.  I took what I learned from my journey and became a better person for it.

Our lives are the totality of our experiences, good, bad and neutral. Anxious thinking is making you see nothing but negativity and self-judgement right now, but as you go into recovery you'll see it wasn't all darkness.  

Thank you mstimc for your perspective. I can’t even understand what you’re saying, I’m very numbed out right now. I can understand it to be intellectually true, but it has no emotional resonance. Still, the fact that so many here like you have been through WD and came out better and able to feel the way you do is a sign of hope (I hope). 

Recovery starts with you.  It's a good sign you're asking for books on how to deal with your grief and negative thinking. That means the real part of you wants to and knows you can recover if you find the right tools.  Commit to recovery and you'll find it.  Hang in there!

I really hope and wish that will be the case.

I can so relate to this topic and others' comments. So much time, so many emotions, relationships, etc. feel lost to me, too. As someone above said, I've spent most of my life *in psychiatry*! As another commenter said, what's happened has also helped me gain new perspective. It has given the rest of my life profound meaning as I learn self-care and self-love and empathy for others.

As I get a little older, and as a history buff, I can also see that thousands and millions of humans of the past -- just like  we have been -- were operating on limited knowledge and understanding. Like us, they were caught up in, and affected by, societal forces WAY beyond their control (for example, what doctors of their era said was good for them/would treat their ailment, etc.). At times, I feel like I've served as a guinea pig for the physicians and drugmakers of our day. And it makes me furious and sad and disappointed and incredulous and victimized and powerless and unheard. However...it has also pulled me down to earth and set me within a larger circle of others.

Welcome to the human race! I can only count this as a gift.  

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• 1 month later...

Deep down the real you has always been there looking through a temporary pair of cloudy glasses.

Physical exercise in nature helps me with brightening up my sight and enjoying a more colourful perspective of the beauty that surrounds us.

At the moment I try to look back at the fragrances, tinges, shades and sounds as I used to perceive them before taking the poison.

❤️

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy