risperdalhater

risperdalhater I recovered from risperdal aka risperidone

20 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, i hope everyone is well.  i would like to thank altostrata for this website and i also want to thank whoever volunteers, so thank you.

anyways, i am almost fully recovered from the harmful effects of risperidone. I did not think i would recover, all in all it took 14 months to feel "normal."

Here's a link of my first topic if you want more of a perspective on how i used to be:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12502-risperdalhater-my-risperdal-story-and-how-it-has-affected-my-life/#entry234527

I took risperidone for about 3 weeks, i recall starting off with 2mg doses daily then after a few days i complained about drowsiness and feeling weird so they lowered the dose to 1mg then after a few more days they worked their way up to 3mg daily and a long with that i received a long acting 7mg injection which can be taken once a month (as i recall).  

towards the end of me taking the drug i started feeling very very drowsy and i recall saying in a pathetic weak voice "I don't like this, i want to stop", so i dumped the risperidone in the trash and never took it again, i stopped cold turkey.  the next week and a half or so i went through the worst experience of my life until that point.

i had:

- constant shakiness

- could barely sleep

- extreme sadness

- seemingly a complete absence of happiness

- serious muscular fatigue and weak blood flow

these all disappeared after that week and a half except for the muscular fatigue and weak blood flow.  the sadness/blah feeling got better at an extremely slow pace.  libido died of course (pretty common with risperidone). thankfully i did not grow breasts or lactate like some of the victims of risperidone, perhaps they took it longer or took a higher dose.

month 1-10 i was a fatigued wreck, people asked me why i looked so sad, i had to force my smiles etc.  month 8-10 or so (as i recall) got slightly better but nothing big, just slight improvements. 

month 10.5 = more slight improvements in energy. nothing to be excited about though. 

month 11-14 is when the healing starting picking up its pace.  i was hopeless at one point.  i don't care if you've been on the drug for years, i still sincerely believe you will get better, just get off of the drug. taking this drug is not how a human being is supposed to live.

so i started supplementing with niacin and my blood flow was better, i know because when i was at the gym i could actually get a muscle pump again, it wasn't that great but it was there. when someone is lifting weights, their blood is supposed to flow and the muscle that you're using will get filled with blood and become more vascular,  i did not have this except for before i took risperidone. i've been lifting weights for 5 years, gym rat level; that being said, i could tell something was wrong when my blood flow became weak. 

don't worry about libido, it will return as long as you avoid those crap drugs.  i personally put any drug in the category of "crap" whether it is prescribed by a doctor or not. i heard that when you show low libido, zinc can be a link.... yes i did try to make that rhyme. 

get your blood tested, i have heard that medicines can deplete certain vitamins/minerals. again, please get your blood tested. recovery won't happen overnight no matter how many methods you use to help yourself.

supplements that helped me:

Natural vitality calm magnesium: it's a powdered form of magnesium and has worked better than any magnesium i've tried. 

Melatonin

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

if you need help or advice, feel free to message me.

at this point it has been 14 months and i am recovered, everything is back to normal. check your blood, supplement with what you need, eat good food, exercise. thanks for reading everyone. 

Thanks man! Your story is a great source of hope. Can you remind us? did you have empty heart/empty head....no feelings, very little going on....and it all came back?

No problem @nicolantana .  yeah i had that feeling of "emptiness" or "blankness" that people describe, it truly felt like my brain wasn't healthy. my normal human emotions came back but at a slow pace or seemingly slow.

Hello! Amazing that you made it through that! I'm happy that you're doing so much better!

I currently have chest pain, bad headaches, and all in all don't feel very healthy, especially in my chest. Did you have any of these issues too? Kinda feel like my heart has a hard time pumping blood but I don't know if it's just withdrawal symptoms causing me to focus more on it. In December I was tested and was fine but it's hard to believe withdrawal can cause this much pain and sick feeling!

I hope you recover 100% but you seem to be well on your way!!

Hi,

Congratulations for your recovery.

Have you experienced symptoms of psychosis during withdrawal? How did you deal with them?

Thank you

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Congratulations on your recovery!

Good stuff! tell me, what was your window pattern like? did you have to wait a while for windows...were they rare, spaced out, stronger each time?? cheers

Hey risperdalhater,

Congrats on healing! I also basically CT'd from my medication of Prozac except I took mine for about a year at higher doses. The WD is hitting me very hard and reading your story of recovery gives me some hope. Like the above response, what was your window pattern like? I've barely had windows at all. I've just been in torture 24/7. Also I noticed one of your symptoms is that you could barely sleep. Is this still a problem for you? 

@anongrl5590 @nicolantana 24/7 torture sounds familiar. the window moments appeared for me randomly, i'm not sure exactly if there was a pattern.

@anongrl5590 sleep is not a problem anymore.

Did you slowly taper or quit cold turkey? How long in total were you on them? Thanks.

I am currently on olanzapine (zyprexa)

Congratulations for your recovery, I hope I will heal like you did, considering our situations are very similar (same age, approx. same dose taken, for approx. the same time etc.)....

It's good to know that people can recover from Risperdal. Sometimes I feel desperate and hopeless.

No problem @nicolantana . yeah i had that feeling of "emptiness" or "blankness" that people describe, it truly felt like my brain wasn't healthy. my normal human emotions came back but at a slow pace or seemingly slow.

I feel like my brain isn't normal.

Did you have any bouts of psychosis? Or insomnia? How is your sleep now?

Congrats RH!! I hope things keep going good for you! I have started qi gong and Brazilian ju jitsu and kick boxing. I think that kicking and punching the pads as hard as I can releases huge amounts of anger at what happened to me and millions of others in this some times unjust world. Also Qi gong meditation really helps focus the mind and embrace the void emptiness by replacing it with complete serene nature and stillness like a tree.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Peace and Love!

Did you slowly taper or quit cold turkey? How long in total were you on them? Thanks.

i quit cold turkey which some suggest is a bad idea. talk to the leaders of this site for tapering help, i don't know much about it.  i was on for about 3 weeks including a long acting injection so a little longer than 3 weeks i guess. 

I've been on risperdal for 3 years. Started at 2mg and went down to 1mg about 2years ago. I've been tapering now for 3months. I have insomnia, very bad anxiety, severe depression, anhedonia, brain fog, cognitive issues, muscle stiffness, total lack of motivation. Those are the side effects I have and they are intensified with withdrawal. I'm very afraid that since I've been on it so long that healing will take years and I may never fully heal. Has anyone here tapered after being on for an extended period of time and recovered?

Risp did you have memory problems while taking risperdal and did you take any supplements and which one?

I took a supplement A,C,D,E,niacin, B6. 10ml a day. its 2nd day and already am more relaxed and more energetic.

I've been on risperdal for 3 years. Started at 2mg and went down to 1mg about 2years ago. I've been tapering now for 3months. I have insomnia, very bad anxiety, severe depression, anhedonia, brain fog, cognitive issues, muscle stiffness, total lack of motivation. Those are the side effects I have and they are intensified with withdrawal. I'm very afraid that since I've been on it so long that healing will take years and I may never fully heal. Has anyone here tapered after being on for an extended period of time and recovered?

these are the side effects, same exact effects happened to me but for a shorter time. keep staying off of it, it takes time to recover but you will slowly recover, it took me over a year and i took it for about 3 weeks....then again the human body can work in wonderful ways so you may recover in the same time i did or slightly longer.  

Risp did you have memory problems while taking risperdal and did you take any supplements and which one?

I took a supplement A,C,D,E,niacin, B6. 10ml a day. its 2nd day and already am more relaxed and more energetic.

to people who want to know: message me if you want to know about which supplements i took.

Kayann,

you use liquid risperidone to taper it off? and  what concetration? I take whey protein also.

thanks