SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

risperdalhater I recovered from risperdal aka risperidone

Hello everybody, i hope everyone is well.  i would like to thank altostrata for this website and i also want to thank whoever volunteers, so thank you.

anyways, i am almost fully recovered from the harmful effects of risperidone. I did not think i would recover, all in all it took 14 months to feel "normal."

Here's a link of my first topic if you want more of a perspective on how i used to be:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12502-risperdalhater-my-risperdal-story-and-how-it-has-affected-my-life/#entry234527

I took risperidone for about 3 weeks, i recall starting off with 2mg doses daily then after a few days i complained about drowsiness and feeling weird so they lowered the dose to 1mg then after a few more days they worked their way up to 3mg daily and a long with that i received a long acting 7mg injection which can be taken once a month (as i recall).  

towards the end of me taking the drug i started feeling very very drowsy and i recall saying in a pathetic weak voice "I don't like this, i want to stop", so i dumped the risperidone in the trash and never took it again, i stopped cold turkey.  the next week and a half or so i went through the worst experience of my life until that point.

i had:

- constant shakiness

- could barely sleep

- extreme sadness

- seemingly a complete absence of happiness

- serious muscular fatigue and weak blood flow

these all disappeared after that week and a half except for the muscular fatigue and weak blood flow.  the sadness/blah feeling got better at an extremely slow pace.  libido died of course (pretty common with risperidone). thankfully i did not grow breasts or lactate like some of the victims of risperidone, perhaps they took it longer or took a higher dose.

month 1-10 i was a fatigued wreck, people asked me why i looked so sad, i had to force my smiles etc.  month 8-10 or so (as i recall) got slightly better but nothing big, just slight improvements. 

month 10.5 = more slight improvements in energy. nothing to be excited about though. 

month 11-14 is when the healing starting picking up its pace.  i was hopeless at one point.  i don't care if you've been on the drug for years, i still sincerely believe you will get better, just get off of the drug. taking this drug is not how a human being is supposed to live.

so i started supplementing with niacin and my blood flow was better, i know because when i was at the gym i could actually get a muscle pump again, it wasn't that great but it was there. when someone is lifting weights, their blood is supposed to flow and the muscle that you're using will get filled with blood and become more vascular,  i did not have this except for before i took risperidone. i've been lifting weights for 5 years, gym rat level; that being said, i could tell something was wrong when my blood flow became weak. 

don't worry about libido, it will return as long as you avoid those crap drugs.  i personally put any drug in the category of "crap" whether it is prescribed by a doctor or not. i heard that when you show low libido, zinc can be a link.... yes i did try to make that rhyme. 

get your blood tested, i have heard that medicines can deplete certain vitamins/minerals. again, please get your blood tested. recovery won't happen overnight no matter how many methods you use to help yourself.

supplements that helped me:

Natural vitality calm magnesium: it's a powdered form of magnesium and has worked better than any magnesium i've tried. 

Melatonin

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

if you need help or advice, feel free to message me.

at this point it has been 14 months and i am recovered, everything is back to normal. check your blood, supplement with what you need, eat good food, exercise. thanks for reading everyone. 

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

Thanks man! Your story is a great source of hope. Can you remind us? did you have empty heart/empty head....no feelings, very little going on....and it all came back?

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

No problem @nicolantana .  yeah i had that feeling of "emptiness" or "blankness" that people describe, it truly felt like my brain wasn't healthy. my normal human emotions came back but at a slow pace or seemingly slow.

In March 2016 i suffered from a paranoia/schizophrenic episode which resulted in me taking risperidone/risperdal 3mg for about 3 weeks along with a couple 7mg long acting injections.  i had an intense withdrawal after stopping cold turkey and i have been off risperidone ever since then.

Hello! Amazing that you made it through that! I'm happy that you're doing so much better!

I currently have chest pain, bad headaches, and all in all don't feel very healthy, especially in my chest. Did you have any of these issues too? Kinda feel like my heart has a hard time pumping blood but I don't know if it's just withdrawal symptoms causing me to focus more on it. In December I was tested and was fine but it's hard to believe withdrawal can cause this much pain and sick feeling!

I hope you recover 100% but you seem to be well on your way!!

- 2010 Fluoxetine 20mg (no issues, did well)
- Mid 2012 Switched to Celexa 20mg (no issues with switch)
- 6/16 Stopped Celexa (always took med once every other day, tapered to once every three days for about a week and a half, took one a week for one week, no problems)
- 10/20/16 Started Celexa 20mg (next day had panic attacks, stopped after three days, kept having panic attacks and anxiety rest of the month)
- 10/28/16 Started Paxil 20mg (took for almost a week, had suicidal thoughts/severe derealization, tapered off to one every other day for a few days)
- 12/8/16 Buspirone 5mg twice daily (felt drowsy but kept anxiety under wraps, still taking it)
- 12/27/16 Venlafaxine XR 37.5mg (took two days, migraine first day, headache all day second day, third day had severe depression/outbursts of crying, couldn't stop most of the day, bad invasive thoughts, never took third dose because of it)
- 1/7/17 taper Buspirone 20% (miscalculation but doing well), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month to almost half each pill

- 2/3/17 taper Buspirone 2.5mg twice daily (did fine, listened to body), gradually slivered off tablet throughout month

* Aromatherapy 100% oils in diffuser every night *

* Morning stretching routine every day *

Hi,

Congratulations for your recovery.

Have you experienced symptoms of psychosis during withdrawal? How did you deal with them?

Thank you

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! Congratulations on your recovery!

Oct 2016. 20 years fluoxetine (20 mg) and bupropion (400 mg). Ceased fluoxetine without taper and bupropion after 4 wk taper. Initial extreme fatigue resolved into moderate fatigue and depression with occasional brain zaps and tingling skin.
Oct 2017. Anhedonia, 90% of my day. Occasional anxiety. Milder brain zaps. In past two weeks, 3 window days and 11 wave days.
May 2019. Anhedonia, infrequent anxiety, mild brain zaps. Sleeping 6 hours nightly after lifetime of 8 hours. Typical daily pattern is wave until late afternoon, window until bedtime. Occasional full day windows.

Good stuff! tell me, what was your window pattern like? did you have to wait a while for windows...were they rare, spaced out, stronger each time?? cheers

late July...lexapro 10 seroquel 25.....due to mild depression......adverse reaction, suicidal thoughts, hospitalization

August....felt that meds were ripping stomach apart....docs didn't believe me..upped meds to seroquel 125, lexapro 20, mirtazapine 30, olanzapine 20....stayed on these drugs unitl mid november......severe anhedonia all the time...mid novemeber 2016 , began taper.....very small windows of emotion...Christmas....off everything by Christmas day......last six weeks, cried and laughed on a number of occasions for first time since taking initial meds....8 occasions of strong emotion over 6 weeks in ealry 2016.......doubting recovery......

BIG WINDOW IN july 2017, felt incredible, lasted a month or so, felt close to recovered...window left, september to Chrimstas 17 was anhedonic hell.....Turn of the year, January 2018, some very strong days (a window) offering renewed hope

back to hell until late February 2018, strong 10 day window....followed by anhedonic wave for 7 months straight! not a flicker of normalcy

September 2018 ...incredible window...followed by three month wave.January 2019.... a strong window

window subsided, but new baseline was higher.....life since January 2019 ( 9 months and counting) has been far better. Complete anhedonia is gone!! God, I've tears writing that. I am far from recovered, but far from hell...to use a scale, if life is rated out of a hundred, I was about minus 50 for the majority of 2 years..I know feel about 30 per cent of self, experiences intermittent flickers of normal life regularly....My days have more quality and I am optimistic of recovery. 

Hey risperdalhater,

Congrats on healing! I also basically CT'd from my medication of Prozac except I took mine for about a year at higher doses. The WD is hitting me very hard and reading your story of recovery gives me some hope. Like the above response, what was your window pattern like? I've barely had windows at all. I've just been in torture 24/7. Also I noticed one of your symptoms is that you could barely sleep. Is this still a problem for you? 

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

@anongrl5590 @nicolantana 24/7 torture sounds familiar. the window moments appeared for me randomly, i'm not sure exactly if there was a pattern.

@anongrl5590 sleep is not a problem anymore.

Did you slowly taper or quit cold turkey? How long in total were you on them? Thanks.

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

I am currently on olanzapine (zyprexa)

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Congratulations for your recovery, I hope I will heal like you did, considering our situations are very similar (same age, approx. same dose taken, for approx. the same time etc.)....

It's good to know that people can recover from Risperdal. Sometimes I feel desperate and hopeless.

Took Risperdal (4 mg for one week, 2 mg for some weeks and 3 mg for three days) from early August to early September 2016.

No problem @nicolantana . yeah i had that feeling of "emptiness" or "blankness" that people describe, it truly felt like my brain wasn't healthy. my normal human emotions came back but at a slow pace or seemingly slow.

I feel like my brain isn't normal.

Did you have any bouts of psychosis? Or insomnia? How is your sleep now?

Congrats RH!! I hope things keep going good for you! I have started qi gong and Brazilian ju jitsu and kick boxing. I think that kicking and punching the pads as hard as I can releases huge amounts of anger at what happened to me and millions of others in this some times unjust world. Also Qi gong meditation really helps focus the mind and embrace the void emptiness by replacing it with complete serene nature and stillness like a tree.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Peace and Love!

Did you slowly taper or quit cold turkey? How long in total were you on them? Thanks.

i quit cold turkey which some suggest is a bad idea. talk to the leaders of this site for tapering help, i don't know much about it.  i was on for about 3 weeks including a long acting injection so a little longer than 3 weeks i guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on risperdal for 3 years. Started at 2mg and went down to 1mg about 2years ago. I've been tapering now for 3months. I have insomnia, very bad anxiety, severe depression, anhedonia, brain fog, cognitive issues, muscle stiffness, total lack of motivation. Those are the side effects I have and they are intensified with withdrawal. I'm very afraid that since I've been on it so long that healing will take years and I may never fully heal. Has anyone here tapered after being on for an extended period of time and recovered?

I started buspar 15mg 2X daily in 2015, propanalol 40mg 2X daily in 2016. I am currently tapering risperdol from 1mg 1X daily. I am tapering at 5% per week. The side effects of the risperdol are as follows; derealization, brain fog, emotional flatness, depression, akathisia and what feels like a lowered IQ. I will taper from buspar when I recover from my taper of risperdol. I take the propanalol for tremors I acquired from latuda and risperdol. 

Risp did you have memory problems while taking risperdal and did you take any supplements and which one?

I took a supplement A,C,D,E,niacin, B6. 10ml a day. its 2nd day and already am more relaxed and more energetic.

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

I've been on risperdal for 3 years. Started at 2mg and went down to 1mg about 2years ago. I've been tapering now for 3months. I have insomnia, very bad anxiety, severe depression, anhedonia, brain fog, cognitive issues, muscle stiffness, total lack of motivation. Those are the side effects I have and they are intensified with withdrawal. I'm very afraid that since I've been on it so long that healing will take years and I may never fully heal. Has anyone here tapered after being on for an extended period of time and recovered?

these are the side effects, same exact effects happened to me but for a shorter time. keep staying off of it, it takes time to recover but you will slowly recover, it took me over a year and i took it for about 3 weeks....then again the human body can work in wonderful ways so you may recover in the same time i did or slightly longer.  

Risp did you have memory problems while taking risperdal and did you take any supplements and which one?

I took a supplement A,C,D,E,niacin, B6. 10ml a day. its 2nd day and already am more relaxed and more energetic.

to people who want to know: message me if you want to know about which supplements i took.

Kayann,

you use liquid risperidone to taper it off? and  what concetration? I take whey protein also.

thanks

2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

• 1 year later...

So fantastic that you recovered . Do you know other stories or do you think that your story is the exception that proces the rule ? Also did you experience any specific signs while recovering? 

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Risperdal consta 37,5 mg 2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• 2 months later...

My new drug challenge (Abilify)

In 2016 i started Risperidone and it destroyed me but i recovered after 14 months of anhedonia.  I was okay, my sex drive, energy, and emotions all returned....but months later i experienced psychosis and was forced to take monthly injections of abilify for 9 months of agony and akathisia (I am off of it now).

Abilify did to me what risperidone did:

- an absence of happiness

- emotional numbess

- very weak muscles and joints

- low sex drive

- pressure in the brain

- akathisa 

I now have to fight the battle of anhedonia again which my doctors insist are from the "negative side effects" of schizophrenia but i don't believe that, i sincerely believe these symptoms come directly from anti-psychotics.  my energy on anti-psychotics vs my energy when i recovered from risperidone is a MASSIVE difference.

I now have twitching problems in my head which i assume is because of the abilify. I am now on CBD oil for schizophrenia which is a million times more gentle than conventional anti-psyschotics.  

I know i will recover just like i did after risperidone.

Edited by ChessieCat
added new topic title to post before moving to Intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

RisperdalHater....I am so very sorry to hear about the return of your psychosis and the suffering you went through after that.  Your tapering story from Risperdal has, and continues to be, an inspiration.  I wish you all the success with recovering from abilify.  Did you CT from Abilify?  If so, how long have you been off of it.  Again, wishing you a speedy recovery and peace and healing. glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

21 hours ago, risperdalhater said:

My new drug challenge (Abilify)

In 2016 i started Risperidone and it destroyed me but i recovered after 14 months of anhedonia.  I was okay, my sex drive, energy, and emotions all returned....but months later i experienced psychosis and was forced to take monthly injections of abilify for 9 months of agony and akathisia (I am off of it now).

Abilify did to me what risperidone did:

- an absence of happiness

- emotional numbess

- very weak muscles and joints

- low sex drive

- pressure in the brain

- akathisa 

I now have to fight the battle of anhedonia again which my doctors insist are from the "negative side effects" of schizophrenia but i don't believe that, i sincerely believe these symptoms come directly from anti-psychotics.  my energy on anti-psychotics vs my energy when i recovered from risperidone is a MASSIVE difference.

I now have twitching problems in my head which i assume is because of the abilify. I am now on CBD oil for schizophrenia which is a million times more gentle than conventional anti-psyschotics.  

I know i will recover just like i did after risperidone.

It sounds like my story. Now I am on latuda and I hope to recover after risperdal consta like you did. I am 10 months off.

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Risperdal consta 37,5 mg 2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

10 hours ago, Glosmom said:

RisperdalHater....I am so very sorry to hear about the return of your psychosis and the suffering you went through after that.  Your tapering story from Risperdal has, and continues to be, an inspiration.  I wish you all the success with recovering from abilify.  Did you CT from Abilify?  If so, how long have you been off of it.  Again, wishing you a speedy recovery and peace and healing. glosmom

I tapered off of abilify and it has been 2 months since the medication has been out of my system.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing risperdalhater?  Hoping you are feeling okay and hanging in there. just thinking of you.......warmest regards, glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Hi, Risperdalhater! I hope you are doing well ^^!

Just wanted to pop in and say there is always hope in recovery! And also thank you Risperdalhater!

Altostrata/other volunteers/contributors for their time. Success stories are so important to others!

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

Hi Risperdalhater,

How are things?

Your message was truly wonderful to read, and such a positive boost for me when I needed it.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recovery.

Great to hear you're not taking the abilify any longer.

I hope you're getting on well.

Best wishes,

Shane

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

• 2 weeks later...

When you suffer psychosis how can you be sure that it's the meds and not your illness?

risperidone 5mg on 17 december 2017

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

fluoxetine 20mg started 15/12/2017,stopped 15/1/2018

1/1/2019 80 mg lurasidone

2/1/2019 40 mg lurasidone

3/1/2019 stopped

29/5/2019 20 mg lurasidone 

7/6/2019 10 mg lurasidone 27/6/2019 5 mg lurasidone 30/11/2019 2 mg lurasidone 30/12/2019 1.66 mg lurasidone

Taking 40mg lurasidone and its helping a lot, don't stop your antipsychotic if you suffer from psychotic symptoms

• 3 months later...

Please Sir, do you have anything like brain shakes, It feels like a hammer bang at the back of my skull, like my brain bounces around in wide my head and my upper body shakes when I’m laid down / please I did stopped cold turkey. Thinking of reinstating if is going to stop this symptoms. Thank you and congratulations on your success 

July 18 Risp 1/1mg day   on and of 12times didnt know it was the drug 

2m sep for 4 to September 9

Ct Sept 10 / RI 1mg Sept 15 to 16

went down to 0.5mg Sept 17/18 

CT sep 19 30mg whine drug estimate

tmj, brain zaps, itching, body pains, loud tinnitus, brain fog , tremors , body ,Td,deregulation , sleep issues due to loud tinnitus. Facial movements, clogged ear , choky , burning , discomfort,banging brain 

bruxism , teeth clenching, hedac/nerve p

• Mentor

Thank you for sharing your story. I truly appreciate it and hope you are still doing great :) 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• 2 weeks later...

When you suffer psychosis how can you be sure that it's the meds and not your illness?

Illness is a social construct. Ofc psychosis can happen from trauma. But to call it illness, nah...

2018: 17 December 1 pill Lexapro 10mg, 22-26 december 10 mg Olanzapine. Imovane 10 mg between December-March. 2019: Injection cicordinol in February. 

Supplements taken during December-Januari (2018-2019).

Gotu Kola, Mucuna Pruriens, Magnesium, Zinc, Curcummin, Omega 3, K2, D3

• 4 weeks later...
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Kayann said:

I am off risperdal 2 years. Its now past  this drug for me. in 18 months off i had a psychosis which i recovered after 5 months.  Im now tapering olanzapine

You should cut this crappy drug. It has lots of sideeffects.

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2017 at 5:30 AM, risperdalhater said:

Hello everybody, i hope everyone is well.  i would like to thank altostrata for this website and i also want to thank whoever volunteers, so thank you.

anyways, i am almost fully recovered from the harmful effects of risperidone. I did not think i would recover, all in all it took 14 months to feel "normal."

Here's a link of my first topic if you want more of a perspective on how i used to be:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12502-risperdalhater-my-risperdal-story-and-how-it-has-affected-my-life/#entry234527

I took risperidone for about 3 weeks, i recall starting off with 2mg doses daily then after a few days i complained about drowsiness and feeling weird so they lowered the dose to 1mg then after a few more days they worked their way up to 3mg daily and a long with that i received a long acting 7mg injection which can be taken once a month (as i recall).  

towards the end of me taking the drug i started feeling very very drowsy and i recall saying in a pathetic weak voice "I don't like this, i want to stop", so i dumped the risperidone in the trash and never took it again, i stopped cold turkey.  the next week and a half or so i went through the worst experience of my life until that point.

i had:

- constant shakiness

- could barely sleep

- extreme sadness

- seemingly a complete absence of happiness

- serious muscular fatigue and weak blood flow

these all disappeared after that week and a half except for the muscular fatigue and weak blood flow.  the sadness/blah feeling got better at an extremely slow pace.  libido died of course (pretty common with risperidone). thankfully i did not grow breasts or lactate like some of the victims of risperidone, perhaps they took it longer or took a higher dose.

month 1-10 i was a fatigued wreck, people asked me why i looked so sad, i had to force my smiles etc.  month 8-10 or so (as i recall) got slightly better but nothing big, just slight improvements. 

month 10.5 = more slight improvements in energy. nothing to be excited about though. 

month 11-14 is when the healing starting picking up its pace.  i was hopeless at one point.  i don't care if you've been on the drug for years, i still sincerely believe you will get better, just get off of the drug. taking this drug is not how a human being is supposed to live.

so i started supplementing with niacin and my blood flow was better, i know because when i was at the gym i could actually get a muscle pump again, it wasn't that great but it was there. when someone is lifting weights, their blood is supposed to flow and the muscle that you're using will get filled with blood and become more vascular,  i did not have this except for before i took risperidone. i've been lifting weights for 5 years, gym rat level; that being said, i could tell something was wrong when my blood flow became weak. 

don't worry about libido, it will return as long as you avoid those crap drugs.  i personally put any drug in the category of "crap" whether it is prescribed by a doctor or not. i heard that when you show low libido, zinc can be a link.... yes i did try to make that rhyme. 

get your blood tested, i have heard that medicines can deplete certain vitamins/minerals. again, please get your blood tested. recovery won't happen overnight no matter how many methods you use to help yourself.

supplements that helped me:

Natural vitality calm magnesium: it's a powdered form of magnesium and has worked better than any magnesium i've tried. 

Melatonin

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

if you need help or advice, feel free to message me.

at this point it has been 14 months and i am recovered, everything is back to normal. check your blood, supplement with what you need, eat good food, exercise. thanks for reading everyone. 

Bro pleases I’d like to talk to you . I’m scared and seem risperidone as ***** my brain up 

July 18 Risp 1/1mg day   on and of 12times didnt know it was the drug 

2m sep for 4 to September 9

Ct Sept 10 / RI 1mg Sept 15 to 16

went down to 0.5mg Sept 17/18 

CT sep 19 30mg whine drug estimate

tmj, brain zaps, itching, body pains, loud tinnitus, brain fog , tremors , body ,Td,deregulation , sleep issues due to loud tinnitus. Facial movements, clogged ear , choky , burning , discomfort,banging brain 

bruxism , teeth clenching, hedac/nerve p

• 11 months later...

Did you take Risperidone only for a month? Did it take 14 months for you to recover?

August 2020: Currently on AP 4mg Sizodon (risperidone) at night with 50mg Chlorpromizine (Thorazine / Largactil). I have lots of side effects like tiredness, sleep only for 6 hours, feel weak and shaky all the time.

Morning and afternoon I have to take (2x day) 1 tablet Parkin (trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride)