SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hawky: Tricyclic withdrawal

Hi everyone , I'm new to these forums as it is only through my recent on - going suffering that I have been googling sites searching for help . I have been taking the trycyclic antidepressant Dosulepin for about 3 years at a dose of 150 mgs every night . My doctor informed me mid February that this tablet was being withdrawn and I would have to taper off it . He wanted me to completely stop the medication within 4 weeks but when I asked my pharmacists advice she said no way could this be done without horrendous withdrawal symptoms . I went back to see my doctor and he agreed to a 6 week taper . However I am now stuck at a 50 mgs dosage and am really suffering with massive anxiety , nausea and exhaustion - is this normal and will it ever go away ??

Hi there:) I am not an administrator here but I think you posted into the wrong category (success stories) and yout post will be moved to "introductions". As for your question: yes it is normal and 6 weeks is definitely too fast to taper! I am sure someone will come back to you with more specific details. Habe you been going through the "taper" section?

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

Hi Just wondered if anyone out there has discontinued ( or is in the process of ) any of the older type ADs known as trycyclics . The name of my medication is Dosulepin also known as Dothiepin and I am really struggling at the moment , I have tapered from 150mgs in February to my current dosage of 50 mgs but the withdrawal symptoms I am currently experiencing are awful , severe anxiety / nausea and extreme fatigue . Can anyone reassure me that this is normal and will subside ??

• Moderator Emeritus

Last year, before I discovered SA, I began tapering Imipramine on a 10% every three week schedule.  I did fine until I got from 75 mg to 25 mg, at which point I began experiencing anxiety and dizziness.  Even so, I continued tapering down to 15 mg with increasing anxiety.  Then I updosed to 25 mg to try to regain equilibrium.  

Based on my experience, I would say your symptoms are normal WD.  I wish I could tell you whether they will subside.  I still have some anxiety as well as insomnia, but my case is complicated by the fact that I'm in tolerance/withdrawal from Lorazepam, which also could be causing the symptoms.

Check out “How to create a signature” for this forum..  If you would put your signature up, with your tapering schedule and any other drugs you've been taking lately, perhaps one of the moderators could take a look at your history and give you some advice. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks so much for that , it helps . It certainly seems as you say that the problems intensify when you least expect them to ie : not at the time of the larger dose reductions but when you feel you can see light at the end of the tunnel . My doctor doesn't seem to understand just how horrendous my symptoms are but thankfully I was given a private consultation with my pharmacist who did try to reassure me . I will gather up all my noted regarding my tapering experience and post as you advise . I too suffer badly with insomnia but this has been on going for years so for me has become the " norm " . Thanks again and I hope you manage to find a suitable balance with your medication soon .

• Moderator Emeritus

Once you get your signature up, you might ask whether the moderators think a small updose would be helpful.  Often just a little increase in your current dose  alleviates symptoms and allows you to stabilize, permitting you to taper back down at a slower rate.  The forum recommends tapering no more than 10% of current (not original) dose every four weeks with a 2-week hold.  It appears you tapered quite a bit more quickly, which may account for the horrendous symptoms you're experiencing.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.  You're in the right place

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hawky and welcome to SA.

Please create a drug signature Create Your Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking. Phone Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature. Please also remember to update it with date and dose whenever make a change so that it remains current. Thank you.

As Gridley mentioned SA recommends a 10% (or less) taper of the previous dose followed by about a 4 week hold to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  If you click "Follow" top right you will be notified when someone responds.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I've survived this brutality and healed quite a bit.  I was put into a situation that I was told was a normal taper, but it actually turned out to be a rapid taper followed by cold-turkey (thanks, doctors!).  I opted not to reinstate.  I've survived hell.  My life is different now, and my body did sustain permanent damage from the tricyclics, but I survived.

Just hold on.  It will get better.  Keep holding on until it does.    

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I like my doctor and he s always had time / patience with me with many issues over the years , but now with this on going problem , tapering off dosulepin after 3 years , he really is clueless . On 14th February my dose was 150 mgs every evening and had been for approx. 3 years , as this medication is being withdrawn by the manufacturer he advised that I needed to wean off ASAP but his plan was for me to be completely off the tablets within 4 weeks . As in the past I have stopped this same medication very easily without any problems but over many months I questioned his advice . Needless to say I have been back to see him 3 or 4 times after suffering with horrible discontinuation symptoms - severe anxiety / nausea / insomnia being the worse . He has reluctantly prescribed more tablets but can't seem to understand my symptoms and concerns . I am now taking 50 mgs each night but after 2 weeks my symptoms are not improving . What can I do as he s very reluctant to give me another prescription and I'm so scared .

• Moderator Emeritus

One of the moderators should be along shortly to help you, but one possibility would be a cross-taper to another antidepressant.  A quick google search of dosulepin bridge" gave a timeline (too short) for cross-tapering to Citalopram.  Then you could do a slow taper of Citalopram, or another SSRI, without being under the gun.

I sympathize, as Ecuador stopped importing Lorazepam from the U.S. and I didn't know what I was going to do until I found I was able to get South American-manufactured Lorazepam.  Not ideal, but it works.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged your new topic with your Intro because it is about your own situation and keeps your history in one place.

As previously requested please complete your drug signature.  It will appear every time you post so that members can see your history at a glance.  Thank you.

The only known way of reducing the withdrawal symptoms is to updose.  I suggest you read this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I think the first thing you need to do is to find out when the drug will no longer be available.  I would also be asking the doctor, or maybe even finding a new doctor who is more understanding, whether it would be possible to stockpile enough of the drug so you can do a reasonably paced taper.   

You might find these topics helpful:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

You could also print out Post #1 of this topic:  dr-peter-breggins-10-taper-method

And it might be helpful to print out some of this one too (especially the graphs):  why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Hi Hawky 

I was put on Dothiepen when I lived in the U.K. I now live in Australia and it's called Dothep here. So far you are the only person I have found on this forum who is on Dothep (I am new). 

How are you going? I've just started reducing from 100mg to 75 mg. 

Dothep 100 mg daily for 8 years

Dothep 50 mg-150 mg prior to this for 3 years 

Trazadone for 3 years before that (can't remember dose)

Dothep 100 mg for 7 years prior to this

Began tapering from 100mg-75mg 22nd June 2017

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and so sorry for very late reply but I'm not doing do good . It is 4 weeks since I took my last 25mg of Dothiepin and I thought I was doing ok but for nearly 2 weeks now I have really suffered . Nighttime is horrendous I'm existing on about 3 hours poor quality sleep and then wake suddenly with the worst anxiety I have ever known , one night last week it was so bad I considered driving myself to my local hospital to beg for help . My doctor has now prescribed mirtazapine but I've not yet taken any as I am scared . I really am at the end of my tether , never felt so hopeless and unwell .

• Moderator Emeritus

Your doctor has likely been following the guidelines here.....we get angry at doctors all the time but this is what they are taught :angry:

If the drug has not been withdrawan yet can you ask your doctor to prescribe it for you for until it is no longer available so you can taper for longer? Even those guidelines say that some patients need longer to taper. It sounds like he is reasonable. If you could reinstate a small dose of 5mg, that may help and then you can taper from that using the prescriptions that you can collect in the meantime. Hope that makes sense to you. I am not always good at explaining things!  If you can get prescriptions for the next 2 months at 150mg per day, one tablet could last 30 days if you crush it and weigh the powder. I tapered for almost 2 years with one pack of effexor by counting the tiny beads in the capsules.  If you decide to take mirtazepine I would try a very very small dose. Often we become sensitive to drugs when in withdrawal and react to higher doses that may be fine for other people. It is available in tablets that dissolve in the mouth and so possibly could be made into a liquid but I will check that out. 

http://mm.wirral.nhs.uk/document_uploads/guidelines/CWPDosulepinGuidanceJuly2015.pdf

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hawky:  You have decreased the dosage of dothiepin too quickly.  Do you have any Dothiepin tablets or capsules?

The best way, in fact the only known and proven way, to reduce withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate a small dose of the drug that was recently withdrawn/discontinued.  Please read the first post of this topic:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

Would you please provide the dates you decreased dose to 25 mg and the date you last took Dothiepin?

2017 Dothiepin Doses

?? [month/year] started taking Dothiepin

Feb. - 150 mg

May - 50 mg

?  - 25 mg

mid June - 0 mg

You can just copy and paste the information between the lines into a new post and then edit the information.  This can also serve as your signature.  You can copy the text and paste it here: Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

You can make a liquid from mirtazepine, it is also available in a liquid in the UK.  I don't know if dosulepine is suitable for making into liquid, most tablets are but i will need to do some research. 

Here is our topic on mirtazepine. If you decide to take it I would start with 5mg, 15mg is the lowest starting dose but you can divide the tablet or make a liquid. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-mirtazapine-remeron/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi

I don't know if this will help.  I took dothiepin for years in the UK and only managed to get down from 225 mg to 50 mg, I found after 50 mg that the nausea was so bad, sleeping wasn't too bad, but nausea was terrible.  It was also being withdraw in UK at that time if it was possible but that people could stay on it if necessary.  It was still being manufactured, I don't know about now.

I was then crossed to mirtazapine, but the weight gain was instant and unbearable, so then went on to citalopram, 20 mg, and after about 8 weeks things settled, I ultimately went to 30 mg citalopram as I found as an antidepressant citalopram was not as effective as dothiepin.  Ultimately I am now wanting to get off citalopram but that is another story.

When I was tapering dothiepin it was standard treatment from GP to use an antihistamine like Benadryl at the same time. 

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

• Moderator Emeritus

I did some research and dothiepin is rapidly absorbed which makes it suitable for making a liquid with water. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Hawky, if I were you, I would find legal suppliers in the UK who would fill a dosulepin prescription, then reinstate at 5mg per day (or night). After you stabilize, you can taper off later by tiny amounts.

Reinstating a liquid probably is the most convenient way to go about this. See

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Hawky?  Did you find any dosulepin? 

2002  effexor. 

• 4 months later...

Dosulepin is still available in the UK. I'm on 150mg and have had not trouble obtaining it and it's still being manufactured but only in 25mg capsules according to my chemist. I took 75mg some years ago and was on it for 6 months and quit no problem. A lot has changed since then so I guess it will be tougher next time around. It's a med I'm considering getting off of as it contradicts with mirtazapine and serotonin toxicity could be an issue but my shrink knows better than any published advice. He wanted me to go to 225mg. i got to 200mg felt ill and dropped it back to 150mg. Of my cocktail this one might be next on the list or mirtazapine but I need stabilise from my last cut of Seroquel first.

Staz

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Hawky, how are you doing?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.