Lilu

Has anyone recovered from being on antidepressants for 10 years or more?

28 posts in this topic

If you were able to successfully wean yourself off of antidepressants after 10 years or more, please tell me a short version of your story or provide a link to your Intro topic. Thanks! 

My mum now aged 65 came off of her SSLR meds after 20+ years. She has been completely off medication (and thats ALL meds, mum takes no pharmaceuticals at all) for 3 years now and doing very well. She is very independent, gets around and is an active grand mother. The first 1.5 years were tough but there was a lot of fear because we didn't know what was happening to her and it took a while to find the right information and create a support group. Fear is everyones worst enemy. On a positive, soon after mums last med, she became connected and feeling powerful emotions that she loved. She felt more alive than she ever remembered and loved the feeling. I could feel her connection too. So even in the first 1.5 years being very tough, there were lots of wonderful windows keeping my mum going and hopeful. 

I was on them for about 10 years, I'm finally off...Praise the Lord...Look up "Chicken" in the introductions.

My mum now aged 65 came off of her SSLR meds after 20+ years. She has been completely off medication (and thats ALL meds, mum takes no pharmaceuticals at all) for 3 years now and doing very well. She is very independent, gets around and is an active grand mother. The first 1.5 years were tough but there was a lot of fear because we didn't know what was happening to her and it took a while to find the right information and create a support group. Fear is everyones worst enemy. On a positive, soon after mums last med, she became connected and feeling powerful emotions that she loved. She felt more alive than she ever remembered and loved the feeling. I could feel her connection too. So even in the first 1.5 years being very tough, there were lots of wonderful windows keeping my mum going and hopeful. 

Why was your mum put on antidepressants in the first place?

I'm on my way to recovering from double that  : 20 years. It's a work in progress. :)

I've been on them for 20 years. I'm now down to the 7's on lexapro. I was only supposed to be on them a short while, when I was going through my divorce. No dr ever took me off. They all thought I was living life so well, they all left me alone.

I know I'm not off, but I look back at where I was all those years, and I'm having W/D symptoms, can't be helped, but I'm making progress everyday. :)

My dr did tell me a couple of weeks ago, skip the 7's, go down to 5 and take the anti nausea meds I gave you. I told him I don't think so...

I have been nauseous everyday since June, 2016, except for 2 months, and a few weeks here and there. But I'm better today than yesterday. And I'll be better tomorrow that today.

And it won't be too much longer and I can say I'm off. I'm taking it nice and slow and watching out for the bumps in the road. Hopefully, if everything goes the way it should, I'll be off of them this time next year.

You probably didn't want to hear this, but not everyone is off meds. That's why we are here, to get the best help ever!

Thanks to all the caring mods. They are going through what I'm going through, but have the time to help us!!

Take care,

Frogie xx

My massive reply. I am so sorry. Now I've come from the end of this I can see how much pain I still have regarding all the years past. I'm certainly not living in the past and I'm so grateful we are at the other end. Writing this did take me back so please forgive some of the anger and frustration at my mothers OLD (never to see again) doctor. 

I have since found out more of Mum's story. My mum, like many people in this world suffered trauma as a child. Living in Malta with parents who were struggling and no divorce allowed because the country was very Catholic. Spending lot of time living in a convent. Thinking they could make a better life, my Granddad decided to move the family to Australia. He came here alone to set up a home. Once he was working full time and found a good home he sent for his 4 children and wife. My grandmother (mum's mother) was in a long term relationship with another man, popped her 4 children on the plane and stayed in Malta. My mum was the oldest at age 16, the youngest was my uncle aged 9. Once in Australia you could not return to Malta or leave Australia for 2 years. My Granddad was a wonderful father and did the best he could. He was very religious. He told the children that when they were asked where their mother was to tell people she was dead. Catholicism has a lot to answer for. None of this suffering needed to happen, in my opinion, it happened because they were not allowed to divorce. Mum met dad and was married by 19. Dad was not interested in moving to Malta so mum made the most of it but it was tough. Mum had 4 children of her own, not exactly planned but all of us wanted. It was tough raising kids in a completely new country, away from your mother with a husband who was rarely around. Our home town was very racist, we all struggled at school and because of this it effected our behaviour at home. I didn't realise until recently but mum had been put on several types of benzo meds, one was Muralax (can't remember exact spelling) and serapax for short periods of time. At one time my mum was going to tranx anonymous with her sister who was also coming off valium for support in coming off these meds. She managed even though dad was never around, always at work doing overtime etc and with 4 children, two of whom were difficult. 41-42 mum had a break down. I was not living at home anymore so I didn't see the lead up. Mum explained that dad had been doing nightshift and there was a guy living in the street playing with our huge solid metal gate at night. Mum was in high anxiety, didn't want to tell anyone because she didn't want there to be trouble. I imagine I don't know the whole story but I can see how my mum lost it. Her sociopathic doctor, diagnosed her with a chemical brain imbalance causing her anxiety and depression and put her on a strong dosage of murelax, after giving her a shot of valium (I think). Mum was off her face most of a year and it was a night mare for her to come off. Mum stablized on an SSLR being Zoloft during her withdrawal off the benzo and never touched anything else (except zoloft and then lexapro) ever again, even when she was told she needed lithium 10 years later to help with her compulsive on the side addiction. This started when mum was 41-42 and her last SSLR was age 62. Over 20 years on SSLR's. 

People have no power, they've given it away to doctors. We are a close family there was enough support to help my mother. I should have been called before mum was shot up with valium, I would have moved back home and prevented the disconnection and suffering that was to follow. I didn't know much back then, I was only 21-22 but what I did know was that the brain imbalance theory was wrong and made no sense and my mum should not be on meds. 1 year into mum's withdrawal, in the thick of it, feeling there was no choice and a heap of pressure from everyone, I went with mum to see her doctor.. I would not let her go alone. Thank Goddess it was an OK day (had it not been I wouldn't have let her go) and we were with this doc 40 minutes. The experience was disturbing. He told mum she would die from her depression. He said there was no way she was suffering withdrawals because these meds are not addictive. He looked up Dr Breggins on the computer and tried to put us off by spinning a bunch of nonsense (he likely believed to be true on some special webpage for doctors that carefully smears all doctors that go against the big pharma agenda) about Dr Breggins being a Scientologist. Nothing he said related or answered my questions in regards to mum. He went on and on about Scientology. My mum was crying so much. She was a mess. He was very condescending.

Its all great now though. I know that these meds are often prescribed way too easily. In mums case she needed support and for what was happening to her to stop. She needed to sleep. She needed help not meds. People need help from other people, not meds. Before meds people suffered trauma, moved through with help and became stronger and better more empathic people. 

My massive reply. I am so sorry. Now I've come from the end of this I can see how much pain I still have regarding all the years past. I'm certainly not living in the past and I'm so grateful we are at the other end. Writing this did take me back so please forgive some of the anger and frustration at my mothers OLD (never to see again) doctor. 

Yeah, the circumstances of people who get put on psychotropic drugs are sometimes quite complex, as in your mom's case.  It's amazing that she recovered after being on all those drugs for so long. It definitely gives me hope that this maybe possible for me one day. Incidently, why do you refer to SSRI's as SSLR's - what does that stand for?

Yes I was on antidepressants and anti anxiety for between 12-14 years. I have been medication free since July 2015.

Yes I was on antidepressants and anti anxiety for between 12-14 years. I have been medication free since July 2015.

Do you feel completely healed Mary? At what point (length of time) did you feel healed?

I was on Prozac for 13 years, from 2002 - August 2015. I'm nowhere near healed. I can function and work full-time, but it's an uphill struggle. I think it takes longer to heal the longer you've been on SSRIs, but I'm hopeful it will happen eventually. 

If you were able to successfully wean yourself off of antidepressants after 10 years or more, please tell me a short version of your story or provide a link to your Intro topic. Thanks! 

Please add how long it took you to feel normal again after completely stopping the medication, whether tapered or cold turkey. And why did you decide to go off your meds to begin with?

I was on them for the better part of 12 years- between 1999 and 2011.  I am (almost) fully recovered.  My physical symptoms now are a breeze compared to 2011, 2012 & 2013.

<3

Yeah, the circumstances of people who get put on psychotropic drugs are sometimes quite complex, as in your mom's case.  It's amazing that she recovered after being on all those drugs for so long. It definitely gives me hope that this maybe possible for me one day. Incidently, why do you refer to SSRI's as SSLR's - what does that stand for?

I meant SSLR's the other was a spelling mistake. 

Incidently, why do you refer to SSRI's as SSLR's - what does that stand for?

I meant SSLR's the other was a spelling mistake. 

What does SSLR stand for?  

In the US most antidepressants are called SSRI's which stands for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, like Prozac, Celexa, Luvox, Lexapro, etc. There is also SNRI's which are Selective Neuropinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, like Effexor, Pristiq, Cymbalta, etc.  

I have since found out more of Mum's story. My mum, like many people in this world suffered trauma as a child. ... I didn't realise until recently but mum had been put on several types of benzo meds, one was Muralax (can't remember exact spelling) and serapax for short periods of time. At one time my mum was going to tranx anonymous with her sister who was also coming off valium for support in coming off these meds. She managed even though dad was never around, always at work doing overtime etc and with 4 children, two of whom were difficult. 41-42 mum had a break down. I was not living at home anymore so I didn't see the lead up. ... This started when mum was 41-42 and her last SSLR was age 62. Over 20 years on SSLR's. 

Its all great now though. I know that these meds are often prescribed way too easily. In mums case she needed support and for what was happening to her to stop. She needed to sleep. She needed help not meds. People need help from other people, not meds. Before meds people suffered trauma, moved through with help and became stronger and better more empathic people.

how did your mum taper the drugs?

is dr breggin Scientology.??

According to Wikipedia:

"SSRI antidepressants

In 1994, Breggin said that Eli Lilly and Company (maker of the antidepressant Prozac) attempted to discredit him and his book Talking Back to Prozac by linking him to the Church of Scientology and labeling his views as "Neo-Scientology".[19] Breggin denied any connection to Scientology.[19] Breggin later clarified that he was still in agreement with some of CCHR's anti-psychiatric views, supporting Tom Cruise's public stance against psychiatry.[20]"

Do you feel completely healed Mary? At what point (length of time) did you feel healed?

would love to say I'm completely healed but still going through intense days but not as intense as the beginning of and throughout last year. Lots of childhood and insecurity and fear issues have popped up and seem magnified. Taking a day at a time.

Lorin,

my mum tapered in her own way, completely unsupported and without any idea what she was doing. I didn't know about it until many months into her tapering. Neither of us had any idea of what was to come. My mum tapered by skipping meds. One day she's take them, another two or three days she would skip them. She did this 7 months and stopped altogether. IN the end I think she was only taking the minimum dose once weekly. 

We didn't find Dr Breggin's book until 10 months after mums last pill at which stage mum was very thin and experiencing suicidal episodes due to her physical condition and symptoms. 

No, Dr Breggins was and is NOT a scientologist. I think he did a little work for them briefly and or he had a partner who was involved. He now has a FB page that his wife runs, check him out. 

Posted (edited)

It took me 5 years to recover.  I was on SSRI's/SNRI for 14 years. First Zoloft, then Paxil, then Effexor. Tapered off Effexor over a 2 or 3 month period in 2012 (way too fast) by asking for tablet form, chopping them in ever smaller pieces. Had protracted withdrawal syndrome and then also Lyme disease.  Refused to return to SSRI's and stuck it out all these years, knowing from this website that healing can take place but it's very slow. 

It's been hard torture. I did use buspar for a while, then used SAMe, as much as two 400mg pills a day, and finally this year weaned completely off the SAMe several months ago.  I also used saffron for calming anxiety, and pregnenalone. 

Now, finally, I don't need anything for withdrawal!  I feel very stable brain wise but am still dealing with Lyme symptoms - nerve pain, body pains.  I thank God that my brain is finally stable. I can feel enjoyment and contentment again and all other normal emotions.   I occasionally have some anxiety but it's pretty rare and doesn't last, and is very minor compared to the 24/7 near panic feelings I dealt with for about 2 years straight at the beginning of withdrawal.   

So the whole process took me 5 years to get brain stabilized.  I think eating healthy and rebuilding gut flora helped the healing.   Even now doctors I see for Lyme pain suggest Neurontin but I NEVER want to mess with the brain meds ever again. I'd rather have physical pain or even die.

I tried to update my profile but it doesn't seem to let me.

Edited by scallywag
insert paragraph breaks for readability

Janie, Thanks for sharing what's worked for you.  Would you also post in your introduction topic: Janie - is there any treatment for protracted withdrawal?.

I'm not sure what you mean by your profile.  If you mean the information that people see when they click on your name, here's a link to the site's User Settings. The options on the

• left side of the page are: Overview, Email address, Password, Signature
  • right side of the page are only accessible when you are on the overview: Notification Settings, Edit Profile, and Ignored Users.

Posted (edited)

On 2017-06-27 at 10:48 PM, Janie said:

It took me 5 years to recover.

Now, finally, I don't need anything for withdrawal!  I feel very stable brain wise but am still dealing with Lyme symptoms - nerve pain, body pains.  I thank God that my brain is finally stable. I can feel enjoyment and contentment again and all other normal emotions.   I occasionally have some anxiety but it's pretty rare and doesn't last, and is very minor compared to the 24/7 near panic feelings I dealt with for about 2 years straight at the beginning of withdrawal.   

So the whole process took me 5 years to get brain stabilized.  I think eating healthy and rebuilding gut flora helped the healing.   Even now doctors I see for Lyme pain suggest Neurontin but I NEVER want to mess with the brain meds ever again. I'd rather have physical pain or even die.

Janie, you have given me a glimmer of hope for today. Thank you!

Edited by scallywag
trimmed quote to relevant portion

Yes .......... I was on Paxil for about 14 years and (in my ignorance) tapered off by skipping doses ........ it took a year. It is now 6 years completely drug free and although there are what I like to call 'residual issues' (the price paid for being on and coming off these foul poisons), I consider myself as healed as I will be. I function well and can deal with the rest. It takes time (WAY too much time sadly) but the brain does heal ........... yours will too.

Another one here.  I've been off the Lexapro/escitalopram now for almost 3 years.  I got started in the maze of medical/psychological/mismatch with AD's about 30 years ago.  My introduction is under my user name.  Working on my success story too........sooooo.........wait for it if you would like.  Hoping to post it late fall/early winter here at sa.org........a nice succinct version.  My tapering was not the greatest either........so I may not be the example that you would like.  I was actually on 20mg. of Lexapro at one point briefly, as well as 10mg. briefly..........when I came off of it I had been on 5mg. for at least a couple, if not several years.  I guess I realized it was all bunk as far as A/D effectiveness and me, before I really realized it in a more active way.

I'll go take a look at your introduction soon.  Hang in there. 

Best, Love, Peace, Recovery/Healing, and........Growth.........

mmt

I have almost recovered from being on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics for the past 15 years, I have now gone 3 months with out any, had some insomnia last week but been fine since then, i have wrote about that here:

22 hours ago, caperjackie said:

Yes .......... I was on Paxil for about 14 years and (in my ignorance) tapered off by skipping doses ........ it took a year. It is now 6 years completely drug free and although there are what I like to call 'residual issues' (the price paid for being on and coming off these foul poisons), I consider myself as healed as I will be. I function well and can deal with the rest. It takes time (WAY too much time sadly) but the brain does heal ........... yours will too.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9594-ssri-ecsatsy-damage/#comment-207365

caperjackie
Members
56 posts
LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Posted February 6, 2016 · Report post
After almost 5 years off these foul poisons I am fairly convinced that there has been some kind of (possibly) permanent brain damage. THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT I AM A LOST CAUSE .......... I function quite well and consider myself 80% healed but still ........ 80% is not fully recovered. Can I live with this? ABSOLUTELY!! This is not a doom and gloom post and I consider it very supportive as my message is that many actions during our life span will alter the course of our lives, our health and our emotions ....... SSRI usage is just one of them. We do our best and carry on with our lives. I am just so supremely thankful that I am off this stuff and my mind is now my own again .... I gladly pay the price and accept the consequences as I have with every other mistake made in my 63 years. That being said ....... I still believe that I have been royally screwed by Big Pharma. Still and all folks ... it is SO worth it .......... even with the cost. We cannot change what we have done or what has been done to us but we definitely have control of where we go from here so stay the course and make lemonade out of these very bitter lemons ...... XXX

hello,

this post was a year ago

your 80% still here  or improved?

Hi Stan ......... yes, still 80% but that is OK ...... everything I wrote above still holds. That being said, I recently hit what can only be called 'a wave' ..... did not recognize it until I had an odd physical symptom that has not appeared in years so perhaps there is still more healing to come! This, if it happens, will be welcomed but a bonus only! How about you?

hi, all is in my signature i updated