Have you recovered from being on antidepressants long term and/or high dose?

Hi all, not sure what is seen as totally recovered but I am definitely on my way. Was on Dothiepin (tricyclic antidepressant) for approximately 15 years but been on & off different antidepressants for 28 years. Been off completely for 4 months now after tapering off for 6 months with the help of this wonderful website. I don't believe my issue was depression at all, I believe it was always a hormonal one as I had post natal depression with both children then severe depression after surgical menopause. To recover, I live near the ocean so take daily walks & swims all year round barefoot which grounds me & makes me feel connected. I am struggling a bit at the moment with sleeplessness (the drug was a sedative type), I have continual nausea & bouts of crying & distress but I know these symptoms are all part of the process. I was so numb for so long that I'm dealing with losses that I never really fully felt before which had happened over a period of 12 years.  I've been blessed with a wonderful husband, 2 great children & family and a really kind friend to support me on my journey. I meditate, eat well, drink lots of water & pray for peace all the time. I'm grateful to all those who contribute to this site and for the kind people who run it. It helps me to read other people's stories so I don't feel so alone. I'd love to hear from those who have had similar experiences with long term antidepressant use and/or hormonal inbalance or anyone who wants to share. Thankyou & blessings to you all. You are all so brave & give me so much hope.

Dothep 225mg Aug 2022 took for 12 years dosage varied from 150mg to 225mg. Reduced over 6 months. Last dose 13/12/22. 

Sandrena gel 1g in morning

Prometrium 100mg night

Vit D3, VitK2, Magnesium 1 morn, Metagenics Metazinc & vitC 1/2 teasp morn, clonidine 50mcg  night (for 1 month) reducing to zero over  from 25th August 2023. Reinstated minute dose 1mg dothiepin 26th August 2023 to find some relief. Slowly increased dose to 7mg as at 22nd September 2023 over 1 month.

• Administrator

Thanks, @Denyce 

How did you learn what you've learned about coping with withdrawal syndrome?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, Learnt only from medicating normal movie & your site, as well as YouTube videos about trauma. Have done it on my own. No help much from doctors or pharmacist but they aren't aware. 

Dothep 225mg Aug 2022 took for 12 years dosage varied from 150mg to 225mg. Reduced over 6 months. Last dose 13/12/22. 

Sandrena gel 1g in morning

Prometrium 100mg night

Vit D3, VitK2, Magnesium 1 morn, Metagenics Metazinc & vitC 1/2 teasp morn, clonidine 50mcg  night (for 1 month) reducing to zero over  from 25th August 2023. Reinstated minute dose 1mg dothiepin 26th August 2023 to find some relief. Slowly increased dose to 7mg as at 22nd September 2023 over 1 month.

• Administrator

Sadly true, @Denyce

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.