SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Plshelp: olanzapine 5mg

Plshelp

I was really stressed out after a breakup with a manipulative ex boyfriend and had a psychotic break in November 2016,I thought he was tracking me and was I was taken to hospital by my parents. While there, I read some material and then thought my ex was going to harm me. So they put me on Risperidone 1mg, saying it was going to help me get better. I think I took that for a week, complaining that it was too strong, they reduced the dose to 0.5mg for 2weeks. I hated the stuff and had leg twitching at night, so they took me off and gave me Ativan and Seroquel for 2 days. I then switched to Latuda 10mg for a week and one day, on the way to the hospital, I jumped out of the car, completely scared and was admitted again to the psych ward. (I think it was the meds b/c I felt confined in my seatbelt in the backseat and felt restless, plus I was feeling extremely suicidal). I was readmitted and given paliperidone (invega) which turned me into an emotional zombie and was taking 6mg for 2 months, I went up to 9mg for a week and they lowered it back to 6mg b/c it blunted me severely. I started to develop restlessness, so they switched me onto abilify (aripiprazole) 10mg for 1 1/2 months to try and get rid of the restlessness. It didn't work, but I did become more of myself on it. I was then switched onto 5mg olanzapine (zyprexa) and have been on it for about 1 1/2 months. It has made me gain weight, I haven't had a period in 5 months (I had a period when I was switching from abilify to olanzapine),I feel less motivation, less joy, thoughtless, constipated, etc.

I am a 36yr old female and I used to be vibrant, funny, thin, centre of attention, outgoing, active and now I'm none of that.

The doctors say I have schizophrenia and I have to be on these meds for 1-2 years b/c I had only one psychotic episode and you can try to come off the meds at that time (which scares me from hearing all the horror stories and I don't want to have the doctor put me back on these meds for the rest of my life). I had no mental illness before this and now all of a sudden I have this b/c I had a psychotic break and delusional thoughts for a brief period of time.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plshelp

• Madeleine

• MollyN

• powerback

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to gather information for when I can withdraw and hear others stories about coming off antipsychotics. I want my old self back again.

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

I want off this stuff now, but I can't until my pdoc gives me the ok. Plus I've seen 5 other psychiatrists and no one will listen ,they think they are all right.

I saw an interesting programme last night about people who are on anti-psychotics due to psychosis.

These are the people who have hallucinations and hear voices - schizophrenia as it's known.

Well, more often than not, research has revealed that trauma or PTSD can bring on psychosis for some people.

One guy was on a cocktail of drugs. Will find out what the documentary title was.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Yep, I think I was suffering ptsd, nothing more. I appreciate your reply jungle chicken.

I want off these meds stop bad right now, but I can't b/c of the pdoc.

• Moderator Emeritus

Plshelp -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Please say more about your pDoc -- what has s/he said or done with your requests to decrease or discontinue?

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature
  • If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post 9 and Post 10
When a someone is taking multiple medications, we ask that that you post an interactions report. Follow the link below to get your report. Just select the text, copy it and paste it in a post here.

Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Dec 2016 Risperidone

Jan - Mar 2017 paliperidone (invega)

Mar - Apr 2017 aripiprazole (abilify)

Apr - present olanzapine (zyprexa)

Pdoc says I have to be on this med for 1-2yrs before considering going off.

Hi Plshelp, so glad you're found this site! From what you've said, it's just entirely sad that you were under a huge amount of stress and instead of being nurtured back to good health in a warm and caring environment and given time to recover from your stress, you were instead vastly more stressed,  medicated and terribly harmed. It could have been so different for you and I'm really sorry.

Sadly, your story is very common - one incident and which leads to a crazy array of medical interventions/cold turkey drug changes and the otherwise normal person now doesn't know which way is up.

Reading the list of drugs you were given is horrible, how on earth is that supposed to have helped you - of course you started presenting with all sorts of new disturbances. Then once labelled it's so hard to be free of them. 

I would love it if you were able to remember back to a time prior to your Nov 2016 incident, when you were just a person dealing with life and it's ups and downs, so you don't doubt yourself and your sanity - you can do it!!

If you are able to stay strong and focused enough (esp in the face of your pdocs) to listen to the voices of the moderators like Scallywag here on your thread, then they will guide you safely (not easily) through.

It's so hard to focus though isn't it. We swing in desperation back and forth between advice given. But here, honestly, you'll get the safest advice, and if you read some of the long journals on here, you'll see so many people like you, that start utterly desperate, hopeless and fearful, that finally by focusing on what the moderators here suggest do - step by step - improve, then finally thrive.

Lots of love, mollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi Plshelp, so glad you're found this site! From what you've said, it's just entirely sad that you were under a huge amount of stress and instead of being nurtured back to good health in a warm and caring environment and given time to recover from your stress, you were instead vastly more stressed, medicated and terribly harmed. It could have been so different for you and I'm really sorry.

Sadly, your story is very common - one incident and which leads to a crazy array of medical interventions/cold turkey drug changes and the otherwise normal person now doesn't know which way is up.

Reading the list of drugs you were given is horrible, how on earth is that supposed to have helped you - of course you started presenting with all sorts of new disturbances. Then once labelled it's so hard to be free of them.

I would love it if you were able to remember back to a time prior to your Nov 2016 incident, when you were just a person dealing with life and it's ups and downs, so you don't doubt yourself and your sanity - you can do it!!

If you are able to stay strong and focused enough (esp in the face of your pdocs) to listen to the voices of the moderators like Scallywag here on your thread, then they will guide you safely (not easily) through.

It's so hard to focus though isn't it. We swing in desperation back and forth between advice given. But here, honestly, you'll get the safest advice, and if you read some of the long journals on here, you'll see so many people like you, that start utterly desperate, hopeless and fearful, that finally by focusing on what the moderators here suggest do - step by step - improve, then finally thrive.

Lots of love, mollyn

Mollyn

Thank you for such beautiful words of encouragement and empathy. I know that I'm not what they are labelling me as. I think most ppl really just need to be reassured by good ppl that are honest and trustworthy. You can overcome so much by just having a solid support network that is loving and caring. Meds are highly overrated and if the pdocs actually took the meds themselves they'd see exactly how they affect ppl. I'm so glad that I found this site. I'm counting the days when I can start to taper and I'm going to do it by 10% like it's listed. I'm going to get off these horrible drugs and become myself again, I just know it. I'm just waiting for the day and I'm educating myself on here as much as possible in the meantime.

Question :have you withdrawn from antipsychotics also?

http://www.withdrawal.net/learn/antipsychotic/

http://www.projectknow.com/research/antipsychotic-detox-and-withdrawal/

2 detox centres in the USA

Edited by scallywag
moved from another member's intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Two things:

Please post the information you posted about your medications and their doses in a signature.

What we need in your signature is:
Dec 2016 Risperidone _____ mg
Jan - Mar 2017 paliperidone (invega) _____ mg
Mar - Apr 2017 aripiprazole (abilify) _____ mg
Apr - present olanzapine (zyprexa) _____ mg

How to create a signature

Link to settings page to create your signature

Please read Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know and assess your situation. Please let us know that you've read that topic and any questions that you have as a result.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Scallywag. I created a signature. Thx

Oh I'm so encouraged by what you've written - it's all so true!! As for drugs, well my drug of 'choice' was paxil - a very false friend!  Awesome that you've completed your signature, that really does help the mods get a true picture of what your body/brain is dealing with and the best way forward for you xxx

Speaking of loving supportive people in our lives - do you have many or are you having to go this mostly alone? (don't have to answer if that's too personal honey xx)

Drug history

Withdrawal history:

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

You're welcome.

I have my parents support, although they all say I need to be on this drug for at least a year before tapering. My parents don't wish to relive the psychosis. It was bad for them. I don't know how it's going to be when I want to taper off the drug.

Yes of course your parents will be fearful, but my goodness you were hardly a child when you suffered the significant stress event - you'd managed up til then. It's common for our nearest and dearest to want us to continue taking drugs, and it all sounds so sensible - until you think, hey, I coped before and if you look rationally, where have drugs got me compared to one month snuggled in warm blankets with cups of tea.

It's pretty important when you have an upcoming appointment and you're feeling really bad how you handle yourself. JanCarol (one of the mods on here) has an awesome post about how to behave when you have an appt with your pdoc - if you put her name and this website and that topic in google it may find it, or you can read her journal - it's long, but all fabulous. Writing this sounds like I'm encouraging you try to appear normal as though we're kind of crazy - but honestly, it's not that, it's about trying to avoid more harm in the form of new drugs or sudden withdrawals from existing drugs because we look 'too desperate' (which of course we are by the time withdrawal is in full swing).

'Surviving antidepressants' is all about a safe withdrawal from harmful substances, it helps you to take gentle and firm charge of your health by taking a stocktake of the  medications you are on and to very slowly and safely withdraw from them. It takes ages, and you have to kind of learn new ways of coping, but it's all worth it in the end - I know you can do this :D

Drug history

Withdrawal history:

• Moderator Emeritus

Plshelp -- you posted a question/comment to the member "peacepresent" in "risperdalhater's" success story.  I have moved that post to peacepresent's introduction topic.

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...

Yes of course your parents will be fearful, but my goodness you were hardly a child when you suffered the significant stress event - you'd managed up til then. It's common for our nearest and dearest to want us to continue taking drugs, and it all sounds so sensible - until you think, hey, I coped before and if you look rationally, where have drugs got me compared to one month snuggled in warm blankets with cups of tea.

It's pretty important when you have an upcoming appointment and you're feeling really bad how you handle yourself. JanCarol (one of the mods on here) has an awesome post about how to behave when you have an appt with your pdoc - if you put her name and this website and that topic in google it may find it, or you can read her journal - it's long, but all fabulous. Writing this sounds like I'm encouraging you try to appear normal as though we're kind of crazy - but honestly, it's not that, it's about trying to avoid more harm in the form of new drugs or sudden withdrawals from existing drugs because we look 'too desperate' (which of course we are by the time withdrawal is in full swing).

'Surviving antidepressants' is all about a safe withdrawal from harmful substances, it helps you to take gentle and firm charge of your health by taking a stocktake of the medications you are on and to very slowly and safely withdraw from them. It takes ages, and you have to kind of learn new ways of coping, but it's all worth it in the end - I know you can do this :D

Mollyn

Where do I find this article on how to talk with my pdoc. Thanks.

Also, just wanted to update everyone. I decreased from 5mg olanzapine to 2.5mg 3 weeks ago .i suffered some mild insomnia for 4 days ,but that went away and i stabilized .looking to decrease more after i get my scale in the mail .

• 1 month later...

I saw my pdoc and he said to go off my medication. That he doesn't think it's doing anything anyways, I'm on less than a therapeutic dose. He says I don't need to taper b/c you don't taper Advil do you? I said no. He doesn't think I require to taper, more like, he doesn't believe in it. I asked him about insomnia and he didn't really have much to say about it. I told him that I don't have any motivation, desire to do anything and he says that's not from the drug, it comes from you, but if you think that, then just stop taking it. Besides, I don't think it's having an effect on you anyways. I have no patients on a 2.5mg dose, except you and all you do is complain about the negative effects. So I suggest you stop taking it and have a contingency plan for what to do if you become psychotic. Then you'll have to stay on the medication at that point. He said he's had ppl jump from 20mg to zero and are fine and he's had about 70% of a success rate with ppl off their medications. And he said that he's not going to prescribe me anymore medication. I scared and don't know what to do, as I only have one month of a prescription left.

My family doctor is out of town for two weeks and I'm not certain she'll even write me a script b/c this is beyond her scope. 

I spoke to the pharmacist about the harm reduction and she said thats mostly for higher doses, but if you're sensitive to meds you can take 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 until your last month prescription is done. B/c that's all I have left is one month left. 

I was tapering from 2.5mg - 10%. But now I'm going to half my pills so that's a 40% more drop. But I have no choice until I talk with my family doctor. 

I'm scared and don't know what to else I can do.

Sounds like your Pdoc is being a jerk. If I were you I would go back to him and be very apologetic and tell him you were wrong and that you complain too easily and that you really feel you  need to be on 2.5mg - that it was helping you at that amount (he may not like that as they say you need to be at 5 mg to be therapeutic level - you could 'agree' to going back at the 5mg) and then DON'T tell him you are reducing slowly at 10% or less per month. Just keep filling the prescription he gives you and reduce at your own pace. Once you are safely off the drug for a year or more and doing fine - then you could tell him what you did and how it worked. If he won't do it for you find another pdoc or regular doc who will. Just tell them your diagnosis (even if you disagree with it) and that you had tried going off the medicine with another doc and that it didn't work and that you want to go back on 5 mg of olanzapine (the lowest acceptable therapeutic amount for your diagnosis) and then reduce at your own rate without telling them.

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

Hey Plshelp

I sent you a pm.  check your inbox.  I don't think your doctor really knows what he's talking about, a lot of drs just use plausible arguments regarding the drugs and have no experience ever taking the meds themselves, but if you didn't have too bad of time dropping from  5mg to 2.5mg maybe you'll be ok dropping all the way.  not everyone has debilitating protracted wd from getting off the meds.   if you feel unmotivated on zyprexa maybe see what going off it does or least keep tapering on a liquid dose.  as long as you have a support network to ground yourself, I would think you should be ok.  parents can be over concerned and overbearing at times, even to the detriment of their child's health.   my parents used to make me comply with meds as well, even though at times they have caused me   brain damage and severe akithisia in the past.  now, they understand I do better off the drugs even though my current wd insomnia is an extremely difficult and frustrating challenge these days.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Herewego, 

I like the way you think, but he won't prescribe to me at all. He says that I'm not even benefitting from the 2.5mg dose and it's not therapeutic. He doesn't think it's doing anything ans in not having any positive symptoms of psychosis, so I should just go off. I asked him if he'd prescribe another script and he refused. So, I'm going to see my family doctor when she returns in 2 weeks and see if she'll prescribe me the medication. And maybe see if I can find another psychiatrist in Calgary. I am going to take 3/4 of a 2.5mg pill in the interim and hopefully by the time I see my family doc, I should know if that was too big of a taper and be able to educate her about all of this tapering stuff. I'm going to order Dr. Peter breggin 's book and get the harm reduction guide and show her that stuff. She's pretty empathetic, so I'm hoping she won't reject me b/c this is outta her scope of practice. If that fails, maybe I'll plead to the pdoc once again. But I can't say anything about tapering b/c he doesn't believe in it. I just hope I can get off this drug. I feel like everyday I'm just waiting to die. I feel like I'm living everyday like it's groundhog day. I have no thoughts, motivation, emotions. I feel like this drug controls my sleep /wake cycles and my bodily functions. I don't feel like me at all. 

On 6/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, PoetJester said:

Hey Plshelp

I sent you a pm.  check your inbox.  I don't think your doctor really knows what he's talking about, a lot of drs just use plausible arguments regarding the drugs and have no experience ever taking the meds themselves, but if you didn't have too bad of time dropping from  5mg to 2.5mg maybe you'll be ok dropping all the way.  not everyone has debilitating protracted wd from getting off the meds.   if you feel unmotivated on zyprexa maybe see what going off it does or least keep tapering on a liquid dose.  as long as you have a support network to ground yourself, I would think you should be ok.  parents can be over concerned and overbearing at times, even to the detriment of their child's health.   my parents used to make me comply with meds as well, even though at times they have caused me   brain damage and severe akithisia in the past.  now, they understand I do better off the drugs even though my current wd insomnia is an extremely difficult and frustrating challenge these days.

poetjester

Poetjester, 

I tapered from 5mg to 2.5mg and had a slight bit of insomnia. I waited 6 weeks to do another taper of 5%. I started having diarrhoea and mild insomnia 15 days after dropping the dose. And I took 5% less of the dose for a couple days after. Then I found out about the pdoc not wanting to prescribe ans so I dropped another 10% b/c I'm scared I'm going to have to drop down faster than expected and I've been having diarrhoea again. So I literally dropped 15% - 5% for 4 days and 10% for two days. The only support I have is fb and sa site. I feel like I have permanent brain damage from these antipsychotics. This really sucks. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Plshelp:  Do the best you can with the medication you have on hand.  If you're able to see your pDoc before your PCP, sometimes it can open up the conversation with a doctor to ask, "What is the harm of decreasing more slowly?"

A note about books: Calgary is a large city and the public library is likely to have Breggin's book in physical and electronic formats.  Borrowing e-books is a great way to get access to the information quickly and inexpensively.

Edited by scallywag

scallywag's Introduction

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 10:14 AM, scallywag said:

Plshelp:  Do the best you can with the medication you have on hand.  If you're able to see your pDoc before your PCP, sometimes it can open up the conversation with a doctor to ask, "What is the harm of decreasing more slowly?"

A note about books: Calgary is a large city and the public library is likely to have Breggin's book in physical and electronic formats.  Borrowing e-books is a great way to get access to the information quickly and inexpensively.

Thanks scallywag. 

I never thought to look at the public library for breggin's books. 

I went and saw my family doctor. She said that I might or might not come back to my old self after getting off the meds. She told me to wait a month for the medication to get out of my system. I told her that I feel like I have permanent brain damage from these drugs. I saw her on Friday. I stopped taking my medication Saturday. So it's been 2 days and i haven't seen any improvements .I've read about others seeing improvements right away and in discouraged. I guess I've adopted the thought ithat I'm permanently damaged from these medications and I'm struggling to find some semblance with a routine that I am able to sustain. 

Oh. After the pdoc refused to fill any more prescriptions, I spoke with the pharmacist and she said to drop by quartets every week. I asked her about the harm reduction guide and she said that only its for tapering from high doses. So I dropped from 3/4 one week, to 1/2 one week and 2 days on 1/4 of a 2.5mg pill dose to zero. I've been off for 2 days and haven't seen any improvement. I will keep updating as time goes by. My sleep is the same as it was on the medication, so I'm glad I'm not dealing with insomnia.

Don't worry about permanent damage. You'll heal. But you came off very quickly. Should you need to reinstate could you not find another doctor somehow...ask friends, family if they know a doctor who would take new patients, look online etc. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

9 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

Don't worry about permanent damage. You'll heal. But you came off very quickly. Should you need to reinstate could you not find another doctor somehow...ask friends, family if they know a doctor who would take new patients, look online etc. 

Madeline, 

I did come off quickly. But I'm feeling the same as I did on the medication. Exactly the same. I went to my family doctor and spoke with her regarding medication if I need it and she said that she wouldn't intervene as the psychiatrist is the one who's handling me. So, I'm reaching out to another psychiatrist for a second opinion regarding my current state.

I don't feel emotions, have no thoughts, motivation. I have acne on my back, face, arms and neck. I don't get sensations to go to the bathroom. I have depersonalization and derealization. I'm depressed most of the time and just feel like I'm waiting to die. I really hate how I'm feeling inside. 

I really don't think that I'm going to heal. It's all individual and there's no guarantee. There are some ppl who seem to have things come back and others not. I feel like I'm one who won't. 

You are catastrophizing-- assuming the worst case scenario. If I had to bet on it I'd bet that you will heal and at some point will be stronger than you were before this all started.  It will take time, as it took a while for you to get into this state. Even before drugs you had stress from your relationship and that and everything after took its toll on you. But on time you will get better. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 1:19 PM, Madeleine said:

You are catastrophizing-- assuming the worst case scenario. If I had to bet on it I'd bet that you will heal and at some point will be stronger than you were before this all started.  It will take time, as it took a while for you to get into this state. Even before drugs you had stress from your relationship and that and everything after took its toll on you. But on time you will get better. 

I really hope that you are right Madeline. I have been off zyprexa for 2 weeks now and haven't seen any improvement.

I went and saw my pdoc and I told him I wished that I was never put on this medication, that I was functioning fine before and now I'm significantly impaired. I told him about how I struggle to do daily tasks and how I go to mow the lawn and I hate every minute that I'm doing it and I just feel like dying. He told me that I'm not used to doing activités like before and as stated with CBT, I need to change my behaviour and with repetition, I'll get my motivation and feelings back. He told me to join a running group and I almost told him to go eff himself and walk out. I don't have any motivation to do anything! I don't feel good. He seems to think that b/c I was functioning fine before meds, that I can just go back to doing the things I used to enjoy. If I could, I would do it in a heartbeat! B/c I miss so many things. I feel like an MS patient that is told to go for a run, and although I really want to go for that run, I can't make my body function to do it. Plus he also shook his head at me when I told him that I tapered off the 2.5mg dose. He was looking at me like I was stupid. He makes me feel really great! 

On a side note, I wrote another psychiatrist about my symptoms and she said it's perfectly normal to be experiencing all of that. Plus she said that her clients take months to taper off zyprexa and it takes them quite awhile to regain a sense of normalcy back with motivation and doing things. So she said to just be patient. I'm scared that with time i won't heal. I want so desperately to heal and be back to myself again. I want to be a success story for recovering from antipsychotics! 

Is anybody out there that's been on antipsychotics and has had a slow recovery? I'm feeling hopeless like I'm going to be brain damaged like this forever. 

Have you read Andy's story in Success Stories. He tapered off zyprexa/olanzapine and he describes his story and others on antipsychotics describe their's too: 

-------