AZez15: Sertraline and side effects

AZez15

My GP started me on generic ativan (.5 up to 3x per day) and sertraline (.5/ once per day but starting at .25) for health anxiety. I have a history of anxiety but had recently escalated and I felt like I was losing my ability cope and function each day. 

I only use the ativan before bed (it's been a week), and am very aware of the addictive nature so I am cognizant that this is only a temporary fix. Actually, I haven't even felt the need to use it other than at night I seem to be experiencing withdrawal after the 24 hours of having used it (brain zaps/tingles/what feels a little like parasthesia--but again that could all be anxiety related as well).

I'm more concerned, I think, about the sertraline. It's only been a week, but I seem to be getting really bad morning anxiety from it. Everyday, I wake up extremely anxious with chest pain (more like a fullness on my left side---I'm 28 and in great shape so it's a bit disturbing). I'm not sure if I'm experiencing chest pain or anxiety-caused pain.  Otherwise, once the morning anxiety dissipates, I feel fine for most of the day, but am concerned that the chest pain (which only lasts 10 min that I am aware of) is something more seriously.

I think I want off the sertraline, but am nervous about quitting cold turkey. Would it be wise to cut from 25mg to 12.5 after one week?

I am supposed to be see a psycho pharmacologist tomorrow anyway (this was scheduled before my GP gave me the meds), but am nervous he'll just lead me to another SSRI.

Thoughts?

Edited by scallywag
tags
  • Moderator Emeritus

AZez15: -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You're wise to have been paying close attention to your symptoms. Because you've only been on Zoloft for a week, you could halve your dose for 3-5 days and if you have no problems then halve it again for another 3-5 days before "jumping off." It's a good idea to keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms.

You do want to be careful with benzodiazepine medication such as Ativan. Physical chemical dependency can occur quickly even with only one daily dose, perhaps as little as 2 weeks.

What non-drug treatment options were offered/suggested to deal with health anxiety? Cognitive behavioural therapy, perhaps? Mindfulness meditation? You may find this post about health anxiety by Kittygiggles helpful.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Get off zoloft and don't ever touch another ssri. It is really hell on eartth to get addicted to those drugs. Well done of you to search for help!

I thought I could take zoloft for half a year, but then I couldn't get off, so my tapering has been going on for years. It's an understatement to say it has not been worth it.

You should be very concerned about ativan as well, as you know. It should not be used for weeks, as you may know.

Have you tried therapy? As Scallywag mentions, CBT? There are so many other ways. And non-drug-alternatives should be priority one actually.

Best of luck!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Today is day 8 of when I began ativan and I am doing my absolute best not to use it. Perhaps if the anxiety ramps up, I might try halving it.

I'm going to think about slowing tapering the SSRI as well.

I do want to start CBT, so made a call today and hope to have an appointment within a month.

Health anxiety is tiring but I'm not certain these meds are the answer.

They are not the answer. I hope CBT is!

I would follow Scallywags advice on how to taper zoloft. One week is nothing, better to come of quick.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some gastrointestinal issues with sertraline (only 50 mg per day). When I first began taking it, about 4 weeks ago, my appetite was definitely stifled in the beginning. It's mostly back to normal, though I still get full pretty quickly, so I was surprised when I went to the doctor and found I lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks without trying. I'm a pretty guy active guy, work out about 4-5x per week, and eat well, but I'm just concerned about the weight loss.

I'm only due to be on sertraline for a couple months and then we will taper, according to my doctor, but has anyone else experienced this type of symptom?

Edited by scallywag
merged topic from Symptoms forum
  • Moderator Emeritus

AZez

I've moved your post to your introduction topic so that more people will see your question, and so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Weight and appetite changes occur as unintended effects of the drug and also during withdrawal. You may want to check the patient information for sertraline that came with your prescription. If you don't have that, have a look at the information on drugs.com:
Sertraline side effects

Weight gain, Weight loss, and appetite changes during tapering and withdrawal

A few tips about using the site:

1. Setting this web page, your introduction topic as a bookmark or favorite in your browser will help you navigate back to it. This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

2. You can configure your user settings so that you get notifications when someone posts in your thread by following the topic.  Click the gray "Follow this topic" button. A dialog box appears:  select one of the notify options, then click follow this topic in the dialog box.

3. To find topics on the site, use a search engine such as Google, Bing, or your favourite. Include site:survivingantidepressants.org  with your search term of interest, e.g. "weight loss", to put pages from this site at the top of the list of results.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 month later...

Hello:

I am currently on 50mg/sertraline. I will be beginning my taper in a couple months -- my doctor wanted to be on it for at least 6 months but believes tapering would be fine.

On another note, I am having a colonoscopy this week. Part of the prep involves drinking lots of laxative (wonderful, I know), but I saw that there is an interaction on sertraline and miralax. Any thoughts on this? Could I just drink lots and lots of gatorade to replenish electrolytes? Anyone with experience?

moderate - sertraline  polyethylene glycol 3350

Applies to: sertraline, MiraLax (polyethylene glycol 3350)

"Sertraline can cause an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. The risk is increased if you have low blood levels of magnesium or potassium, which can occur with bowel cleansing preparations or excessive use of medications that have a laxative effect. Do not exceed the dose and duration of use of polyethylene glycol 3350 recommended on the product label or prescribed by your doctor. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications. In addition, you should let your doctor know if you experience signs and symptoms of low magnesium or potassium blood level such as weakness, tiredness, drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, tingling, numbness, muscle pain, cramps, nausea, or vomiting. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor."

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

Hmm, it sounds like you need to ask your doctor about this as I definitely would be concerned also.

You may also want to ask him/her about Suprep to see if that would be a viable alternative.   A family member said it was the most tolerable one she has had during her years of having colonoscopies.

Best of luck.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

AZez15 - at what time of day do you take your dose of Zoloft?

Edited by scallywag

scallywag's Introduction