Pauld9723: 19 years of paxil

Pauld9723

Hello,  I have been on paxil since I was 16 years old.  I'm now 34.  I was never depressed.  I've always had adhd which escalated to some anxiety a psych visit and a script for paxil that I have never escaped.   The first time I ever felt true depression was when I tried to quit taking paxil.  I was told this was depression resurfacing and a sign the medication is working.  I now realize this was simply withdrawls.  

I have had insane electric shocking sensations, sensitivity to sound, light, mood swings aggression, confusion ect. when trying to quit. 

I believe my withdrawl process would take years. I believe the last few mg's will be the very hardest.

I am interested in hearing any suggestions.  

Edited by scallywag
tags

Paxil 20mg for 19 years

Floxed by levaquin one year ago

You would be wise to taper super slowly. I was put on Paxil around 18 and cold turkeyed 3 yrs ago. I don't recommend that!

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

Hi Pauld! I'm so glad you've found this awesome site - it's the safe, sane place that will help you withdraw from paxil. I agree with everything you say re your upcoming withdrawal, you've basically got it sussed already :)

One thing, although you already know it by the sounds of it, the line that some/many doctors trot out when people suddenly stop taking their drugs that it's "your underlying condition resurfacing" is rubbish. It's the outrageous withdrawal that many people suffer from - which very often resembles nothing like how they felt/experienced before their foray into SSRIs etc.

I'm so buoyed that despite your early intro to paxil, you sound so sensible and clear about your way forward. Looking forward to reading your progress! xxxmollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you guys.

Now the tables turn. I was poisoned (floxed) by an antibiotic called levaquin a year ago and have severe Intermittant tendonitis, restless legs, and fibromyalgia type pain. Because of this I have lost much energy, very depressed and anxious. I also believe I have been treating the wrong area with serotonin all this time as my problem has always been add. More dopamine/nueropinephrin related. I just tried switching to cymbalta an ssri/nri And Made me much worse, whether it be withdrawals from not hitting on exact same serotonin receptors or just not what I needed. I have a very certain feeling after much research I am and have always been mostly low on dopamine. I could list all the reasons why this is if requested. This isn't the right time to attempt paxil withdrawal,. I just wanted an unbiased opinion on how to withdrawal when if the time comes.

So my life is at a turning point. I'm in pain. Possibly lose my job, wife, health and happiness. Or try a legal dopaministic drug. Mirapex (dopamine agonist) shows most promise with my restless legs and Parkinson's like issues also shown good off label effects on depression and adhd. my other choice is common welbutrin mostly a dopamine/nueropinephrin reuptake inhibitor. Welbutrin scares me a little being a reuptake inhibitor like my undefeatable paxil. It would also mess with dopamine and neuropineprin at the same time and cymbaltas nueropinephrin ri made me worse.

So if you read through all this jargon I just typed you have a better attention span than I. You also have more interest than I can conjure up for anything.

Mirapex or welbutrin? For long term use till death do me part? Cause I can't live like this. And my grammar is terrible on this site with my phone

Paxil 20mg for 19 years

Floxed by levaquin one year ago

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Pauld -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I'm sorry that we (the moderators) haven't replied to your posts. Sometimes there are many new posts and the intro topic of a new member slips to the second page quickly.

Your experience after trying to discontinue Paxil is very common: doctors give no advice or bad advice about how to discontinue and then view any mood-related withdrawal symptom as relapse or as a new condition that requires the drug.

As you may have already discovered, we suggest that people taper slowly -- by no more than 10% per month. Please read these topics for reasons why and for how to do that with Paxil.

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

People either get liquid formulations from the pharmacy, weigh the capsule contents on a jeweler's scale or make their own liquid. Availability of liquid Paxil varies from country to country and, of course, there is always the issue of what will one's insurance pay for.

Using a digital scale to measure doses.

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us. Please let us know how your taper is going.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Administrator

Welcome, Paul.

Are you taking Paxil now? How long did you take Cymbalta?

How long have you been off Paxil?

If you haven't restarted Paxil, you might consider taking Prozac instead, at a slightly reduced dosage such as 15mg. Doctors very often switch patients to Prozac to go off Paxil. You may find it easier to taper.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Pauld9723-- I have found your original introduction thread and am directing you here. There is only one introduction thread allowed per member. I am very glad to hear about your successfully getting off of paxil, Congratulations.

Please post some comments about your success here. I'm sure the rest of the site would like to read them. 

However, we will not be approving your current success post as is because of it's other content. At SA we do not condone the use of nootropic drugs as an aid in WD. Also the two drugs you mention are unapproved for much of the world and are illegal to produce and possess in many countries, even though they are available on line.  We do not condone the use of illegal drugs either. Please refrain from  talking about them enthusiastically in your posts. mentioning that you think they helped is fine, but nothing to encourage other members to try them.

Again, please feel free to post about your success with getting off of paxil. We will be very interested in following you progress through your post "0" experience.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

How are you feeling, @Pauld9723?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.