KarenB

A Vegetarian Diet during w/d

9 posts in this topic

I remember reading somewhere on SA that it's important to have either meat or at least fish-oil in one's diet when in withdrawal, as a sort of building block.  And I think I recall reading years ago that GiaK from BeyondMeds reintroduced meat into her diet to try to improve things during her w/d.  (Correct me if I've got that wrong Gia).

Is there anyone else who has found that a shift from vegetarianism to a diet which includes some meat has been helpful?  And in what ways? 

(I'm not vegetarian, just curious as I want to be able to answer members more accurately when this comes up). 

Thanks in advance... :)

Yes, I was a vegetarian prior to withdrawal and then had to switch to eating meat. I had been a vegetarian since I as 15, so that was 32 years of not eating meat. 

I stopped being able to use supplements in 2014 due to GI issues from withdrawal. But I stuck with the vegetarian diet, even though I ended up having to go to a very limited diet. Basically, I was suffering from malnutrition at that point, I'm sure. 

In 2015, because of the recommendation on this site for taking fish oil, I began eating fish. This helped with fatigue and cognitive skills. And then I added in chicken and later, bone broth. The chicken helped with the additional protein and the bone broth has glycine in it which helps with sleep. 

For any vegetarian members who are unable to use supplements and / or have to go on an elimination diet, I would recommend at least adding in fish several times a week. 

I know there are many moral, religious, and climate change related reasons for being a vegetarian, but for the sake of my own health, I felt it was the best thing I could do. 

I'm also very mindful of the fact that while I was a vegetarian, I was consuming lots of psychiatric drugs which had all been tested on animals. Now that I'm off the drugs, I take solace in the fact that I'm not contributing to that sort of mistreatment of animals. 

I hope to return to the vegetarian diet at some point and even though I was devastated on many levels for eating meat after so many decades as a vegetarian, I feel it was the right thing to do. 

Please note when transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a meat diet, it's best to do so very gradually and give yourself time to adjust, adding in one item at a time and at a very small amount. 

This topic is very close to my heart.

I firmly believe that the greatest suffering we can cause as human's is through contributing to the meat, dairy and egg industry. It is barbaric, it is cruel, it is abusive and it is absolutely shameful what we as human's put these living, breathing, intelligent, sentient, loving creatures through in order to gain satisfaction from consuming them. I could go on forever about why not to contribute to this industry. There are 100000 reasons to not consume animal products. There's about 3 reasons to consume them. For me, my life has so much more meaning to it, so much more purity knowing that im doing my level best to minimize suffering.

I understand that through the wd process we need to ensure adequate nutrition. I take a sardine & anchovy oil a few days a week as I feel it is important. I also consciously consume fish which I have caught by hand, on occasion. In an ideal world I would love to not do so.

I am however very skeptical about why people in the wd process think red meat or white meat is beneficial? It may contain iron and b vitamins and amino's , but so does plant food, and to a higher extent. And guess what?? Plant's don't massively contribute to cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke etc... where as most animal products do.

My advice, eat fish if you need to, try and get it yourself, but if you can't choose wisely where you get it from. Eat eggs. They're full of nutrients, vitamins and aminos. But get good eggs. Buy organic, free range. I get mine from people with pet chickens where I know they're well looked after. Scrap dairy, red meat, poultry and pork from your life. It does nothing for you other than slowly kill you and it is a barbaric, age old tradition which has no place in this modern world. Eat your greens, eat all veges and fruits, nuts, seeds, organic soy products etc. And most of all do your own research.

This topic is very close to my heart.

I firmly believe that the greatest suffering we can cause as human's is through contributing to the meat, dairy and egg industry. It is barbaric, it is cruel, it is abusive and it is absolutely shameful what we as human's put these living, breathing, intelligent, sentient, loving creatures through in order to gain satisfaction from consuming them. I could go on forever about why not to contribute to this industry. There are 100000 reasons to not consume animal products. There's about 3 reasons to consume them. For me, my life has so much more meaning to it, so much more purity knowing that im doing my level best to minimize suffering.

Please keep this thread on topic.  It is not about beliefs, but about consuming a vegetarian diet during withdrawal.

Consult with your own physiology to determine if you should eat vegetarian. If you feel better, it might be suited to you.

If you do not eat animal products, including dairy, you will need to supplement vitamin B12. For humans, B12 is essential and the only way you can get it is by eating animal products or taking a supplement.

No matter your type of diet, be sure to get good protein to help your body heal from adverse drug effects. Your body needs protein to rebuild itself.

Thanks Shep for taking the time to outline what decisions you made and how they affected you.  It's helpful to know those specifics.

Nick What led you to decide to use the fish oils and the fresh fish?  Did you notice any differences once you started taking them? 

I am vegan, and have been for 6 years. I can't see a compelling need to introduce animal products into my diet now. I do supplement Vitamin B12, Omega 3 (vegecaps) and magnesium (I've had issues in the past either a deficiency and bruising when exercising), and eat a healthy diet. 

Since I have been vegan, I have only been on ADs since Feb 2016 after two deaths.

Prior to being vegan, I experienced multiple "lifelong" (as per doctors) health issues - depression, anxiety, chronic mononucleosis, CFS, fibromylagia, constant upper respiratory tract infections, MVP symptoms and arrhythmia. All resolved as a vegan (the arrythmia to my cardiologist's surprise). I feel that my body recovers from illness and exercise quicker than when I consumed meat and dairy, so I can't see why this wouldn't extend to my brain. 

It'll be interesting to see if I have a fairly standard recovery path, as I can't see why I wouldn't :)

I am mostly vegetarian, and hope to someday go back to being fully vegan. I have lost most of my excess weight and gone off a whole slew of medications for various health conditions that have fully resolved by eating a whole foods, plant based, primarily vegan diet.

However, I have, much to my own personal disappointment, discovered that I have had to re introduce some animal products into my diet during recovery from AD withdrawal.

Eating meat slows down my digestion (which, I have read, is one reason it's not all that great for most ppl, most of the time) I was losing wt far too fast, and getting weak, dizzy and just feeling horrible. If I want to continue to eat lots of veggies, fruits and beans, at least for now, I need a little bit of fatty meat to slow down my digestion, or all that good food goes right thru me too quickly.

I know this will change in time and eventually I will be able to go back to the diet I prefer.

During recovery, I would actually feel a strong craving for some things, such as fish, eggs and the occasional burger. I have given in to those cravings, in the hopes that my body is trying to tell me that the cravings mean I need the nutrients in these foods.

and so far, it's been working out ok.   A few times, I ate too many eggs all at once or ate fried fish and had some issues with the excess fat gumming up my digestion, but for the most part, occasionally eating fish and eggs has helped.

Now I plan to eat some lower mercury fish twice a week or so, and if I feel the need,  a few eggs from a local farm, and the occasional burger (but mostly because that's cheap and easy to get when I'm out with someone, don't have access to healthier foods and feel that putting off eating would be worse for me than having the burger)

If you are interested in what fish are the best to get to avoid too much mercury, check out this link or do some research on your own. Please keep in mind that the FDA site uses averages, so the mercury content in fish will vary depending on the source etc.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/UCM537120.pdf

I don't know much........one of my concerns........and granted, I have a poor understanding of it.........are the amino acids that I believe are prevalent in so many of the supplements promoted and used.  I think amino acids are the building blocks of proteins(or are a protein source?, certainly correct me if I am wrong here) as well as possibly play a role in neurotransmitter function. 

Neurotransmitter function.  Other than the fact that neurotransmitters are prevalent........more so in the gut than the brain(to the best of my understanding).........the mythology so prevalent in the past couple of decades sure doesn't help advance any ones understanding.

So......most of us do most likely suffer some grave neurotransmitter(or ?chemical) imbalances post psycho medication/drugging.  And perhaps eating more natural sources of proteins/? amino acids is the way to go?  Which are hard to find really........I don't know if I, personally........will ever be a huge fresh fish eater.  I mean maybe.........if I transplant myself to live next to a well stocked lake or river or something.  I sure don't crave fish products.........those ones in a can.........yuch!   Maybe the craving comes on as you eat more fish products.........just like the craving for sugar disappears when you don't eat it.   However, I do eat meat on occasion and have never been fully vegetarian.  I also eat eggs.  I have to stay away from certain nuts and have done better limiting soy products. 

Yes.......I get the cravings too H2H..........though usually when I have just waited too long to eat........for burgers and such.  So hard.......to do the small frequent healthy feeds sometimes........  So sometimes I don't know for sure if it's my bodies intuitive signal for something or not.

Very, very difficult, I think, to get what one needs, for healing/recovery just from omega's and B12 and folate, whatever, etc.

I don't know how it works but I think some of the psycho drugs actually cause some muscle wasting and that can never quite be remedied........at least further damage can be mitigated with some focused exercise and possibly diet.  And appropriate clothing..........just kidding.......

Good topic.  Diet, nutrition..........huge factor I think in this W/D process of healing/recovery.

I do think, for me anyway.......being conscientious, paying attention to.........my protein intake..........eggs, meat, fish, other........has been helpful.  In the energy department for me.........less fatigued, improved cognition and focus.

Love, peace, recovery/healing, and growth,

manymoretodays