SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

squirrel

Mod Note:  See the following links which may help you to distinguish if it is withdrawal or relapse:

This post and this one, distinguishing withdrawal from relapse

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I was just wondering as I am 6 years off and still suffering from horrible symptoms when is it time to say "this cannot be still withdrawl"? Howmuch longer with this repair work take or is this as good as it gets for me.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added Mod Note

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Hi Squirrel,I hear what you are saying, but Charly G. (antidepressant facts) posted on pp that it was 6-7 years before he was back to normal (his posts have been removed) and I believe he meant physically. I am at 5 1/2 years and still have what I call residual problems. Also, depending on your age I think going through w/d at menopause is a double wammy. There is a thread Light posted with links to what is called PAWS that you might find helpful Post #12 here:http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/114-light/

Edited by Altostrata
name changed by request

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Hey, Sqiuirrel. I'm really convinced it's still WD. The 100% healing may take even longer than this for some, but it eventually does happen. What symptoms have already disappeared or abated for you? Remember, the progress is so slow for many of us, it's simply difficult to perceive, but it's there! Sending you lots of positive energy!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hi Neuro & Hopeful.

The crushing depression has left me also,tingling in limbs, muscle cramps, my mood is much better and mentally I feel so much better.my worse symptoms are feeling unbalanced (woosey) or like the floor is moving under my feet, D/P and D/R, feel spaced out and not connected.anxiety or akathesia I am not sure which, inner tremors and crippling fatigue.For the last 6 months these things can change by the hour.Think I am over the menopuse now.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Squirrel,

Did I read in another post that you have low blood pressure problems? I’m wondering if the “woosey” feeling is related? The anxiety can cause the DP/DR. Our systems are so messed up by these drugs that it takes a very long time to get back in balance. Hopefully someone will chime in that has had similar symptoms or other suggestions.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

Hi Neuro & Hopeful.

The crushing depression has left me also,tingling in limbs, muscle cramps, my mood is much better and mentally I feel so much better.my worse symptoms are feeling unbalanced (woosey) or like the floor is moving under my feet, D/P and D/R, feel spaced out and not connected.anxiety or akathesia I am not sure which, inner tremors and crippling fatigue.For the last 6 months these things can change by the hour.Think I am over the menopuse now.

The anxiety can cause the DP/DR.

hi Squirrel,

i will tell a real story from a close woman friend

she never took SRI or other meds

at her work during 3 years she was bullied by several colleagues and had maximum stress emotional

one day in the morning,after awaking, she had severe vertigo, wall turning, weak, vomit

she was checked for inner ear (betaserc...), eyes,nerves and prescribed antidepressant(she never took)

as you outdoor :unbalanced (woosey) or like the floor is moving under my feet, D/P and D/R, feel spaced, little anxiety

she stopped after 3 weeks betaserc and other vertigo meds

i was walking with her every day so she have to go out and not be housebound

she was despair and i fear for her

this last totally 7 months and after two weeks, she walked near normal, drived with little anxiety

we speaked together what has happening

at this day we decided she will work less to be less stressed, one year after she changed work

when she is stressed at work, she feels little dizzy, she immediately calm herself and try to work less emotional

it works

we speaked together: GP found nothing, it was high stress wich gave in France we say spasmophilie, it is the body which somatize his suffering in balance,floor moving, eye focus...

i am in pseudopanic 24/7 and somatize in chest,breath,legs,eyes,...kind of agoraphobia

when we somatize, we can feel not stressed (but in reality we are overhelmed)

your feelings, for me , are anxiety as hopeful said, maybe with withdrawal

if you have stress( in your head ) since a while ...

this happened without meds, can happen after meds , we are more vulnerable after trauma

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Just been to see doc.I had a home blood pressure monitor for 2 weeks and went to see her with the readings. She said BP was fine.She is convinced this is the autonomic nervous system out of whack possibly because of the drug and has referred me to a neurologist.

• 2 months later...

Since last week I have been plagued constantly by bouts of severe dizziness, really bad headaches ,severe muscle tension in back and neck? ok I always feel a bit unbalanced but these severe burning type headaches and muscle tension I may get the odd time but it has been constant for a week. Could this be a wave?

hi Squirrel,

it seems a wave, but 6 years after ?

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

In some, those may still be there even that far off.

Squirrel, looking back, what symptoms have already disappeared, and which have improved in your case? Have you taken any benzos, beta-blockers, 5HTP, potent painkillers, went under anaesthesia, was prescribed steroids, etc, during those 6 years?

Also, can you think of anything that may have caused this recent wave? Like physical over-exertion, change in your diet, stress, not enough sleep, etc?

Hang in there bravely!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Symptoms that have disappeared are,

Severe depression

24/7 anxiety

inability to sleep

mood swings

zaps ( although I had them 2 weeks ago)

lack of motivation

lack of feelings

feeling totally out of it

I don't take anything except the odd painkiller if my head is bad and cod liver oil ( as suggested by neurologist) I have a drug phobia now! this started last thursday with a severe dizzy spell and has continued.

Squirrel,

Muscle tension is one of my lingering symptoms and I've had a rough wave since March. I've also had the burning headaches in the past so I would say yes you are going through some sort of wave.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Severe withdrawal

Lexapro free 8/2/05

How odd that we should both know the burning headaches !!!!!!! Its like a headache but with a burning smarting sensation added to it. never had anything like this before.

Squirrel,

I also can relate to all of your symptoms.The dizziness and the tension in the neck....hope this wave will pass for you soon.

To rest makes it even worse-a walk in the forest is my best medicine.

UHHH , I had a really bad reaction to cod liver oil.

lg solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

• 6 months later...

I can't find the thread is it depression or withdrawal so I'm writing here. I am scared because I have been feeling so badly about myself - like I am a loser, don't have any friends, do like anyone, no kids, no significant other, no family. Argh. I can deal with feeling sad, crying at movies etc. but this negativity about myself makes me want to pop an effexor and see if I can numb out again. But I really don't want to do that. Has anyone else gone through feeling so bad about themselves and getting beyond it?

Guest damnnardil

This is kind of weird fefesmom. I have been feeling so bad these last couple of days and I was ready to go to bed because I have to get up early and go to trial for a traffic ticket but I thought I would jump on here and see if I can find some kind of relief to get me through the night or throw a positive thought or feeling torwards me.

Everything you said is the way I have felt many times and feel at this moment. This so much ties into all the BS about having confidence and self esteem when I as a man am approaching a woman to be a friend or date and I allot of times I don't bother attempting to find a woman because I feel like you just described. Like a loser. I have everything I need financially and I should be enjoying my freedom and sharing it with another person but I am at home alone or driving to the grocery store to get what I need to exist another day as I look at everone outside of me laughing and talking and having a good time with life. I wonder if this will ever end and I will one day be like them. I don't know what else to say except that I just wish that this nightmare would end. Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Hi fefesmom, I really hear what you are saying. I think alto should comment on this but my feeling is that this is is purely a withdrawal symptom and will wax and wane with the days. Are you up to doing volunteer work, very light volunteer work like maybe at an animal shelter or for some animal rescue group. Even if it came down to just going in to just visit with the animals and be with other volunteers. You are In the most beautiful place on earth. Try to start conversations with people on your walks , at the grocery store. I know, everything seems so insurmountable right now. You and I are in the very early stage of wd after being on poison for many, many years. Both of us took this garbage for 4000 days. I think we need to give our brains a chance to stabilize, and it won't happen over night. If this helps, I feel crappy about my ability to do just about everything and have for months, I still try to do things even though the anxiety is so awful but I'm hoping that just going slow and plowing through things, I can rebuilt some sort of self confidence. It's not easy, and the buildup to this scares me worse than the thing I eventually do. It is so screwed up! So fefesmom, try to do small things and see how it goes. Don't ever give up!

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Fefe~

Yes yes yes to all of what you said ~

This holiday has been hellish --not because of being crazy busy and overwhelmed but the exact opposite • I didn't get out of my pajamas or see anyone and ordered a pizza for dinner • I try to be strong and not feel sorry for myself but I gave in and curled up in fetal position under the covers trying to find any TV that wasn't screaming Christmas at me • I used to play the Christmas game but it was forced /trying for years to fit in anywhere because I have no family or traditions of my own

I am childless by choice and don't regret that decision but am definitely realizing how difficult it is to fill my time and feel purposeful without the parts of life that most people take for granted ~kids/grandkids/career and all of the different events and responsibilities that stem from those things

I'm struggling to find my place in this world and that hole is staring me in the face since being off Pristiq ~ I feel like the med made the emptiness ok ~ I wasnt content but I was complacent and now waking up to the lack of a life •

I have attempted to explain this feeling of aloneness to people who have kids but it is impossible (even if their kids are grown and gone or problems) • I don't have a good explanation but for me it seems to center around being needed/being somebody's 'primary person' •

I think that our overscheduled society accentuates the gap for me because I have to work every day to find something to do and in the last few months I've tried to relax in doing nothing and accepting that I'm healing but it's really tough •

One psychiatrist referred to this as 'end of family line depression' but I've never found anything written about it •

The next generation will be interesting because so many have been on psych meds which take away natural desire to connect and mate •

Usually my mood improves as soon as Christmas is over but I'm not seeing the light yet this year

{{{HUGS }}}

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Spectio. Thank you so very much for your post. It makes me feel better and more hopeful. These feelings do wax and wane and I have to remember that. There is a great doggy daycare place nearby and when I pass it on foot the animals always make me smile so I will have to go there more often. I'm not up for volunteering - I was a social worker for 40 years until I retired. Feel like that was my volunteering! I do knit blankets for cats in shelters - that's all I can manage at this point. I find socializing is a drag but, as you say, the anticipation is worse than the actual event. I have never been a gregarious person; but now it helps to get out every day even if to the grocery store where all the clerks know me at least by face and vice versa. I'm so glad I didn't cave and call the *** to get back on meds. I do know I really don't want to do that. My critical voice is going a mile a minute and I do find using the things I've learned about being mindful very helpful. But, I get mad that I have to keep using them and can't just get fixed. Oh, well. I'm going out in the gorgeous sunshine now for a while. Many thanks again.

Hi Barbarannamated. I just finished writing a post in response to Spectio and just found your post. Gee whiz - I don't have children either (I was married a long time ago and it didn't work out and I'm glad I never had kids with him) and it does make life harder. I spoke with a friend who is also without children, no siblings and it was good to be understood. Also wonderful to know you are coping with the same issues of being the end of the line so to speak. My sister doesn't have kids either. I have been thinking about planning for the holidays next year but really cannot; I think I'll wait til the fall and then think about it. I'm trying to be more in the present, every moment. It's not easy. To me, Christmas and Thanksgiving are totally fmaily holidays and the hardest for me. The others, I just feel I don't belong anywhere but can manage okay. It's kind of how I feel a lot of the time anyhow. Thanks so much for writing on this forum and for your being so open about your situation/feelings etc. Hugs to you, too.

I know there are social supports in place for the elderly who are alone but ~as far as I know ~ no organized places or supports for younger people who are in healing mode and not up to jumping in to regular social activities or groups •

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Another thought. I felt alone, in a way I never had before, after my mother died; that led to sadness/crying and going on ad. Now that I read Barbarannamate's post, I think that that alone feeling had/has to go with being the end of the gene line. With my mother's death,( my father had died in 1978), it was like I was the last generation and no one comes after me or my sister. Yikes. I never though of that being what made the aloneness so acute. Plus, if I had a significant other that might have helped but maybe not. No one, lay or professional, has ever understood this aloneness I felt/feel and I couldn't explain how it was different. Anyhow, these are pretty big existential issues and I think I'll go for walk now instead. Many thanks to you on this thread.

Existential and evolutionary psychology resonate with me now whereas I used to view things through the DSM definition of life and 'normal'

• Administrator

fefes, this is such an important question -- posed by spectio in her Intro topic title -- that I made it its own topic.

spectio, you did a great job answering the question!

One way to distinguish between a neuro-emotion from withdrawal and "normal" depression (I hate that word, it's a psychiatric term to describe every kind of sadness) is that neuro-emotions come in intense waves without apparent emotional triggers. You can feel fine, then blammo.

When the wave passes, it's as though nothing happened, like a sudden rain squall and then you have the sun again.

(The demotivation and a lack of feeling of reward is something else. It's a vague background neuro-emotion that gradually gets better over time.)

fefes, your idea of spending more time with pets is an excellent one. There was a time when I felt so bad, and so overwhelmed by human contact, I walked around the neighborhood looking for dogs and cats to pet. Even looking at photos of dogs and cats made me feel better.

Try to do little things like that to calm your nervous system. Don't aim to do too much. If you find it soothing, slip into the back of a church and listen to hymns. Go to the park and watch the birds.

Do you like to knit or crochet? Simple repetitive movements like those can be soothing, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi. Thanks again. I am going to start knitting again - blankets for cats in a shelter. I had stopped for no apparent reason but I do think, as you say, that the repetitive motions will be soothing. Kind of a meditation. I think I am having these neuro-emotions and it is really helpful to think of them that way. After a terrible early morning I have felt good most of the day and I know I better be prepared for more neuro-moments and not think "everything is okay" now. I cannot tell you in words how much all of your experiences/ideas/suggestions mean to me. The world is what they mean! I am also finding it helpful to only spend time (limited at that) with people who are calming and to avoid the difficult people I know. Yes, it is all about me at this time.

• Administrator

Most of us tend to feel better later in the day. I think it's when the natural cortisol level starts to decrease and our bodies are putting on the brakes in preparation for the nighttime.

There's some evidence, I read an article somewhere or maybe there's even a book about it, that knitting or crocheting or doing handiwork projects is therapeutic. You can see how it might help your nervous system rewire around the motions, at least.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

I have hit bottom. I have been off antidepressants for nearly five months and the past couple weeks have been the worst days. It seems that things have steadily gotten worse. Anyways, I had to go see a counselor today at my school because I had to drop a class because of my problems. I am unable to focus, concentrate, or do anything. My anxiety is bad, my depression bad. I cry for every little thing. If any of you have read any of my posts, you will see that I have tried many many things as an alternative to psych drugs. I have been doing orthomolecular medicine, cranial electrical therapy, supplements, exercise, and just started acupuncture and will try their herbs. The counselor asked me why I stopped the antidepressants (most counselors seem to be pro med) and I told him that it was because of the side effects I was experiencing. I told him about the severe fatigue and how the drugs made me pretty wild. He said that since the antidepressants caused me to do wild things, this could be a sign they were triggering mania. I have never had a manic episode and know that antidepressants can cause one to become manic, but the reasoning in the mainstream is that when an antidepressant causes mania, it is because the person already had this condition and so this is just a sign of an underlying mood disorder. So, he wants me to see a psychiatrist ASAP and get on meds and told me about trying abilify. I am scared, i do not want to be put on drugs like this. What are my options? I am obviously suffering and cannot stay like this forever...

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Zepp,

I'm sorry you're in such a tough spot. I don't feel qualified to offer advice but I'm sure Alto will have a good, rational strategy for you.

Hang in there.

Thank you, I will try and hang in there. I am just scared I will have to resort to psych drugs again just to take the pain away. I wish they had places where people like me could go in an attempt to heal and not be drugged up. That would be real nice.

• Administrator

I have never had a manic episode and know that antidepressants can cause one to become manic, but the reasoning in the mainstream is that when an antidepressant causes mania, it is because the person already had this condition and so this is just a sign of an underlying mood disorder. So, he wants me to see a psychiatrist ASAP and get on meds and told me about trying abilify. I am scared, i do not want to be put on drugs like this. What are my options? I am obviously suffering and cannot stay like this forever...

Zepp, it is absolutely untrue that antidepressants "unmask" bipolar disorder. What is true is that some people, particularly young people, find them too stimulating and it makes them "wild."

You are most likely suffering from Celexa withdrawal. You went off it in 4 days, correct? That's a fast taper under any circumstances.

Please extract yourself from "the system" right away. It's set up for medication. The idea of putting you on Abilify is absurd.

What you might do is go back on a small amount of Celexa or Prozac, and taper slowly. This is kind of a long shot, but it might work.

Otherwise, hang in there. One foot in front of the other, hour by hour. You can do this.

I have never had a manic episode and know that antidepressants can cause one to become manic, but the reasoning in the mainstream is that when an antidepressant causes mania, it is because the person already had this condition and so this is just a sign of an underlying mood disorder. So, he wants me to see a psychiatrist ASAP and get on meds and told me about trying abilify. I am scared, i do not want to be put on drugs like this. What are my options? I am obviously suffering and cannot stay like this forever...

Zepp, it is absolutely untrue that antidepressants "unmask" bipolar disorder. What is true is that some people, particularly young people, find them too stimulating and it makes them "wild."

You are most likely suffering from Celexa withdrawal. You went off it in 4 days, correct? That's a fast taper under any circumstances.

Please extract yourself from "the system" right away. It's set up for medication. The idea of putting you on Abilify is absurd.

What you might do is go back on a small amount of Celexa or Prozac, and taper slowly. This is kind of a long shot, but it might work.

Otherwise, hang in there. One foot in front of the other, hour by hour. You can do this.

Yes for sure my taper was very fast. So i think there is a good chance my problems are related to protracted withdrawal. Why does this happen, though? Why is it that one can be off the drugs for months and then all of a sudden relapse? I was up and down for a few months, but it has now hit the bottom. I remember when I did a fast taper from zoloft, I had a bad crash and had to go back on a low dose. I felt ok for a few weeks then I began to feel bad again. So how long should one wait on the low dose before tapering again? Might is be possible that I have to go back up to a full dose?

The system is quite scary. There is absolutely no talk of treating mental health issues without drugs, they are so biased that they refuse to even consider it. I often wonder if this is for a valid reason? Can people with mental health issues ever fully find relief without drugs? Are all of us who want off drugs just wishful thinkers who do not realize that drugs and therapy are our only options? I know many people find relief in the beggining but then the drugs stop working, but what else can we do if we have severe depression and anxiety? I already know all the obvious things to do like exercise and diet, but what if none of that helps? Can severe mental health issues truly be healed or controlled without resorting to drugs? These questions constantly plague me and that is part of my problem, mainly I am always thinking, yet my thinking is distorted. Lord help me!

I really don't understand why the doctors that prescribe drugs don't also refer people to counseling! I have been very fortunate in that the doctors I've seen - including a GP - have made sure that I was seeing a therapist at least some of the time. Having someone to talk to can make all the difference in the world!

You said you went to a school counselor; is that college, or high school? Most colleges have counselors for talk therapy, and a high school social worker should be able to refer you to some kind of community outpatient counseling. I say this as someone who IS a social worker and worked with youth. Being young and going through changes is SO hard; you couldn't pay me to be young right now!

I am convinced that at least part of our problem - those of us with depression - is that people are so isolated from each other and it's hard for people to connect. I know that I feel much better when I am able to connect to the friends who know me and understand me. I am still too isolated but at least I know I have that support. Of course professional help (therapy) has been helpful too. One tip: if you do find a counselor and don't feel like you're being listened to, don't assume they are all the same. I've been to some counselors I could not talk to - and I left and found someone else.

I really don't understand why the doctors that prescribe drugs don't also refer people to counseling! I have been very fortunate in that the doctors I've seen - including a GP - have made sure that I was seeing a therapist at least some of the time. Having someone to talk to can make all the difference in the world!

You said you went to a school counselor; is that college, or high school? Most colleges have counselors for talk therapy, and a high school social worker should be able to refer you to some kind of community outpatient counseling. I say this as someone who IS a social worker and worked with youth. Being young and going through changes is SO hard; you couldn't pay me to be young right now!

I am convinced that at least part of our problem - those of us with depression - is that people are so isolated from each other and it's hard for people to connect. I know that I feel much better when I am able to connect to the friends who know me and understand me. I am still too isolated but at least I know I have that support. Of course professional help (therapy) has been helpful too. One tip: if you do find a counselor and don't feel like you're being listened to, don't assume they are all the same. I've been to some counselors I could not talk to - and I left and found someone else.

Hi there,

Thank you for replying. Nice to hear from you.

I am actually still in college as I have had to drop several times due to coming off AD too fast, just like now. I graduated from a community college and have been in a university for the last two years but have made little progress. So today I had to run out of my class because I go so anxious for no real reason. Well actually the reason is that I was to report on a critical summary I did but I could not even think straight. Like I cannot even carry on a conversation with someone right now because my brain is so foggy, like it does not work. I cannot even say what I want to say and am having a lot of 'tip of the tongue" moments as if i were 90 years old! Its really frustrating.

But yes, the guy I talked to at my school is an LPC and i was referred to a community family organization that has LPC's and do therapy and things like this. So I will begin therapy there and probably end up having to see a psychiatrist as well. I honestly do not know what to do as obviously they are going to want me to get on meds ASAP. So hopefully I can try and battle this out, but am not sure how long I can last as things have been really hard.

Oh that makes me angry that they try to push drugs like that. Abilify is an antipsychotic. I've been on it and it has horrible side effects like all other antipsychotics. You said you've tried many things, but have you tried homeopathy? I've had good success with that.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Oh that makes me angry that they try to push drugs like that. Abilify is an antipsychotic. I've been on it and it has horrible side effects like all other antipsychotics. You said you've tried many things, but have you tried homeopathy? I've had good success with that.

I have not tried homeopathy. It has come up before and I have yet to try it. I know some people here dont believe in it, and some do. I have been corresponding with a retired MD who used to work alongside Dr. Carl Pfieffer at the Brain Bio Center doing orthomolecular psychiatry. She has now moved to Italy and gives free advice to people via email. Her name is Dr. Cambo and she is the one who told me about homeopathy. She was practicing orthomolecular medicine and she said she had some patients come in saying that homeopathy worked better than the orthomolecular medicine and so she became interested in it and eventually opened her own practice. She is writing a book on it and sent me a couple chapters about it. I believe it can help some people but and I recently spoke with Dana Ullman who promotes homeopathy and I think practices it. He said he has seen some great things with it as well. The problem is that this type of medicine is looked down upon and bashed by not only doctors, but many people. People seem to hate it and see it as a scam. I believe it can work based on talking to those two people, but I have no experience with it. Can you elaborate on your experience with it? What symptoms did it help with?

Can you also tell me more about your condition and what other things have helped? Why did they give you abilify? I have been off antidepressants for five months and hit bottom the other day. Really bad depression and anxiety. I am now feeling a little better. Exercise, amino acids, nutrients, and omega oils seem to help me out. Alto says i probably am still experiencing withdrawal which is very possible.

Hi again. I could have sworn I posted another reply in this thread... maybe it's in another one, or maybe I'm going crazy (er).

About homeopathy: I was thinking about trying that also. Are you referring to using it for withdrawal symptoms, or for the depression itself? I don't feel depressed right now, but have a on & off anxiety and a lot of digestive problems, and was hoping to find something to help with those. I was thinking, especially, for the digestive problems.

Zepplin, I'm glad you are feeling a little better, and that you are probably going to see a counselor.

• Moderator Emeritus

The system is quite scary. There is absolutely no talk of treating mental health issues without drugs, they are so biased that they refuse to even consider it. I often wonder if this is for a valid reason?

Oh, there's a valid reason all right - $$$$$$!!! The field of psychiatry is nothing but a racket fostered by Big Med and Big Pharma. These are psychopathic industries which don't care who or how many they hurt, maim, or kill as long as they make the big bucks.

I was hospitalized over a year ago for depression which I believe was largely caused by too-low cholesterol (134). Did anyone check for medical causes before they launched me off on Pristiq, Remeron, and Ativan? Hell, no! :angry: To be honest here, I have had numerous episodes of depression in the past, but never to the point that I became non-functional. During these episodes I coped as best I could, sometimes drinking heavily (note that I don't recommend this), and eventually came out of it. Often there were circumstances that caused me to feel depressed - marital problems back in my married days, unemployment, et cetera - and as those issues got cleared up, so did my depression.

I never had a manic-y episode in my life until I was put on Pristiq. My personal doctor helped me withdraw from Remeron and then switched my meds to Lexapro, which worked well at the time. Then I retired and the stress did too. Hoo boy, did I get wild and crazy! With my doctor's okay, I cut back from 10 mg. to 5 mg., and when even that was too much, I started cutting the tabs in quarters. Still too much. My doctor suggested taking a quarter tab every other day and then stopping. I did that over a two week period and I believe even that was too fast. Overall, I withdrew over a period of four months and had lots of withdrawal symptoms anyway. I took my last quarter tab December 14th and am just now starting to have some days of normalcy accompanied by five to seven hours of sleep, although I still usually have to use Ativan for the latter.

Please, please don't see a psychiatrist. I'm not familiar with Abilify, but I was a psychotherapist for fourteen years and judging from your posts, I would say you are definitely NOT psychotic. An antipsychotic drug will only do you more harm.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy