Withdrawal or relapse? Or something else?

squirrel

• Moderator Emeritus

I have not tried homeopathy. It has come up before and I have yet to try it. I know some people here dont believe in it, and some do. I have been corresponding with a retired MD who used to work alongside Dr. Carl Pfieffer at the Brain Bio Center doing orthomolecular psychiatry. She has now moved to Italy and gives free advice to people via email. Her name is Dr. Cambo and she is the one who told me about homeopathy. She was practicing orthomolecular medicine and she said she had some patients come in saying that homeopathy worked better than the orthomolecular medicine and so she became interested in it and eventually opened her own practice. She is writing a book on it and sent me a couple chapters about it. I believe it can help some people but and I recently spoke with Dana Ullman who promotes homeopathy and I think practices it. He said he has seen some great things with it as well. The problem is that this type of medicine is looked down upon and bashed by not only doctors, but many people. People seem to hate it and see it as a scam. I believe it can work based on talking to those two people, but I have no experience with it. Can you elaborate on your experience with it? What symptoms did it help with?

When I was still a kid and living with Mom and Dad, our family doctor was homeopathic. He was no quack - he graduated from Johns Hopkins with honors. He saved my life when I was six years old and had somehow contracted a deadly disease. He sat up with me all night when it got to its worst stage, giving me medicine every tweny minutes until the fever broke. (This was back in the 1950's when doctors made house calls.)

I'm looking for a homeopathic doctor right now. My personal doctor is one of the best conventional medicine has to offer, but I'm done with conventional. As you go through your personal experience with withdrawal you may find, as I did, that most doctors have absolutely no idea of what they're doing. :(

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Oh that makes me angry that they try to push drugs like that. Abilify is an antipsychotic. I've been on it and it has horrible side effects like all other antipsychotics. You said you've tried many things, but have you tried homeopathy? I've had good success with that.

Can you elaborate on your experience with it? What symptoms did it help with?

Can you also tell me more about your condition and what other things have helped? Why did they give you abilify? I have been off antidepressants for five months and hit bottom the other day. Really bad depression and anxiety. I am now feeling a little better. Exercise, amino acids, nutrients, and omega oils seem to help me out. Alto says i probably am still experiencing withdrawal which is very possible.

I'll just copy what I take from my website. Many people can't understand how it works when they think in terms of regular physics. It's Fourfold Quantum Memory that explains how it works. All I can say is that it saved my life. It works. I read of another person in withdrawals that said it got rid of their symptoms too. Granted, I'm not totally symptom free, but the worst symptoms of all are gone, and haven't come back since I started homeopathy. If you want, look at my site listed in my signature to read more about it, also I have links about how it works and how to take it right.

Arum Metallicum 30C - Depression, wanting to die, loathing life, suicidal.

Stramonium 30C - Anxiety, fear, nightmares, depression, suicidal feelings.

Arsenicum Album 30C - Brain shocks and zaps. depression, nausea. Also try Cicuta Virosa 30C for brain zaps.

Agaricus Muscarius 30C - Clumsy, off balance, shaky, feeling out of body and uncontained, insecure, twitches, jerks, jittery.

Calcarea Carbonica 30C - Heart Palpatation (PVC), Head noise, dreams, fear, depression, sweating, tinnitus

I was on Abilify for Schizophrenia, along with many other trials of antipsychotics. I now only use homeopathy and niacin for Schiz. Right now I'm tapering off Prozac and having mild w/d symptoms. Nothing severe. The only thing the Homeopathy didn't quite help as much with are the brain zaps. I'm not having them now though since I switched to Prozac. I also take fish oil, calcium and magnesium.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Zepp, the reason your withdrawal symptoms have varied is because they represent an unstable nervous system.

It's like a guy walking a tightrope. He might sway one way or the other, regain his balance, then lose it again and start swaying. That's your nervous system trying to recover from withdrawal syndrome.

Some of the things you've tried may have contributed to the instability.

You're over 18, right? You can refuse any treatment suggested by a doctor. They're not God. If you don't like what they're telling you, as a consumer you can go elsewhere and get advice that suits you better.

Being that so little is known about withdrawal syndrome, you're going to have to direct your own treatment.

You're also going to have to rethink your attraction to what look like high-science treatments! A doctor-like person in white coat spouting a bunch of jargon does not indicate a miracle cure, in a machine or a pill.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Zepp

I used homeopathy to help heal from undiagnosed celiac disease and associated other conditions ... I absolutely believe in homeopathy, but I caution you that what might work for someone with a stable nervous system, might not work as well for you since it is evident that your nervous system is on a tight rope. If you try it, go slowly. Only change one thing at a time and give it some time to see how it will affect your symptoms.

I agree with Alto, you have the right to refuse treatment that you believe is not in your best interest. I would personally avoid Abilify. I agree you might consider a small reinstatement of your previous med - give it awhile to get stable and then try weaning off of it slowly. But there is no guarantee that this would work for you either since you've been off so long.

Keep in mind that doctors get continuing education sponsored by pharmaceutical companies ... so big pharma gets to keep directing doctors to prescribe things that make them (big pharma) more money. There is no money in admitting that people go through withdrawals - there is no money in admitting that the standard of care is not really helping people. Of course, main stream allopathic western medicine is going to disparage homeopathy - it threatens everything they have been taught. In many states integrative medicines is threatened for the same reasons.

Know that at one time a Hungarian physician who had great results in birthing babies resulting in low mortality rates by washing his hands before the procedure was ostracized by his peers and died in an asylum. His results were undeniable reducing mortality to below 1%. The doctor's protocol "... conflicted with the established scientific and medical opinions of the time and his ideas were rejected by the medical community." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignaz_Semmelweis

I believe that many doctors are benevolent and have good intentions, but they are virtually brainwashed by pharmaceutical companies. Ask questions and stand your ground. If the pdoc can only offer more meds ask for a referral to a medical professional who can offer you alternatives.

Ideally, look for a pdoc who has experience with withdrawals. Consider finding a wellness doctor, a naturopath, or even a D.O. who can help you more holistically.

Best wishes for continued progress.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

... I absolutely believe in homeopathy, but I caution you that what might work for someone with a stable nervous system, might not work as well for you since it is evident that your nervous system is on a tight rope. If you try it, go slowly. Only change one thing at a time and give it some time to see how it will affect your symptoms....

I just want to point out that my nervous system was on a very tight rope and that my nervous system was in no way stable when I started Homeopathy. The only reason it's "somewhat" stable now, is because of the Homeopathy and now the Prozac Switch. I'm talking the worst of the symptoms which is the extreme anxiety, wanting to suicide, extreme depression and depersonalization. These symptoms were the most horrific for me, but that doesn't mean I wasn't experiencing all the other symptoms as well; nausea, tinnitus, brain zaps, etc. My immediate concern in all that was to save my very soul from the pits of hell, and that's why I list the top two remedies and will say, they are the most important. Homeopathy does not effect the nervous system in any way like other supplements and has no side effects.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Right, the system is designed (by doctors in collusion with pharmaceutical companies) to funnel people into treatment with drugs.

Unpatient yourself. Just say no!

("I'll think about it" is a good way to avoid getting a prescription.)

Zepp, any MD can prescribe Celexa for you. Is there a doctor you trust who will cooperate with your request? Whatever amount is precribed, if I were you I wouldn't take more than 5mg to start.

PS Please put your withdrawal history in your signature, instructions here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Zepp, the reason your withdrawal symptoms have varied is because they represent an unstable nervous system.

It's like a guy walking a tightrope. He might sway one way or the other, regain his balance, then lose it again and start swaying. That's your nervous system trying to recover from withdrawal syndrome.

That's a great description.

I too did not get the worst of my symptoms until months after I had quit ADs. This time around was the first time it sunk in that I was not dealing with a "resurgence" of an original problem, even though doctors insisted on it.

It makes sense that if your nervous system has gone haywire, you will not be dealing with a constant or steady state of a group of symptoms, but that rather, you are more reactive and prone to be off kilter. I think it is similar to autoimmune problems. A certain trigger can spark off a whole chain reaction.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

hello everyone,

thank you all for your replies. I am doing much better now.

I have been doing acupuncture and herbs. I go to a local oriental medicine college and so its very affordable. I boil the herbs (not just herbs but things like ginger and dates and other things but are collectively called herbs) and then drink the tea three times a day. I am no longer waking up with the anxiety and I am laughing a lot more which naturally relieves stress and elevates mood. I am very thankful I am experiencing this break from the horrible symptoms I was going through. Lets hope that I can stay in this state and the oriental medicine does not poop out. For now, I am feeling good and needed this really bad.

I have completed my consultation with Dr. Bonnie Camo (she is retired and lived with her Italian husband in Italy now but offers free help to people) and she will soon recommend a homeopathic remedy that may help me. So later on if things don't go well with the TCM, then I can try this.

Since I am doing TCM, one of my "herbs" is ginger and I have read that this can help people with SSRI withdrawal. Have you all heard anything about this?

Lastly, I am currently in a debate with a psychiatrist about the safety of psych drugs and the recent story of Alyssa Bustmante (she killed a little girl while on prozac and yes I already know that just because she was taking prozac does not mean that this is why she killed but the incident is bizarre and I believe the drugs played a role in her distorted and sick thinking). We are debating via Huffington Post and if anyone wants to back be up or put in your own comments then that would be great (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/zepplin2011/alyssa-bustamante-prozac-defense_n_1260634_136378280.html)

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

Zepp, many people find that ginger is helpful. Alex had an interesting reaction to it, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1197-ginger-sedation-and-hypersensitivity/#entry10886

Thank you Alto. Also, here is the updated debate with Mr. Psychiatrist- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/PsychiatryMD?action=comments

Good for you Zep. I love your calmness and tenacity in that "discussion". My blood pressure rose as I read the response, until I read the bit about the FDA inwhich I burst out laughing. What a haughty ignoramus.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

Good for you Zep. I love your calmness and tenacity in that "discussion". My blood pressure rose as I read the response, until I read the bit about the FDA inwhich I burst out laughing. What a haughty ignoramus.

hahah thanks for your comment whatever. You know all I did was simply leave a comment about this incident and the psychiatrist came and left me a message saying how I was spreading lies. I know what I said does not obviously apply to everyone who has taken the drugs, but come on, people need to be more aware of these drug side effects. I thought the FDA thing was quite funny myself. You notice he says it as if the FDA were the almighty honest authority on food and drug safety and efficacy? I thought that was quite funny how he said it. We all know very well the long standing relationship between FDA and Pharma. Sorry the links are all messed up. Here is the original story and you can see my original comment. I was really upset when the court called a university of Mass psychiatrist who testified that the drugs could not be the cause of the violent act. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/alyssa-bustamante-prozac-defense_n_1260634.html

Scroll down and you can see my original comment there. you can click on the link under my comments to see the rest of them.

Very good responses Zep! I had to register and add my 2 cents as well, as usual. Can you tell me what herbs you are using in your teas? I am so happy for you that you found some that are giving you relief!

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Zepplin - your posts make me glad I have no health insurance, and don't have deal with doctors! LOL. I know they are good for some things but like you, I don't think they are very helpful. So many people who have all sorts of illnesses just keep going to more & more doctors, and they keep getting sicker and need more doctors.....

I am reading on here about taking ginger to calm oneself. Is is best in a tea? I have some powdered ginger in my cabinet....

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've come across a lot of people saying that their psychiatrists were treating symptoms that actually turned out to be side effects.

I'm just wondering how one tells which is which?

I guess I can say that I've had physical symptoms that I've definitely attributed to withdrawal because of the timing and their "uniqueness" - they weren't really something I'd experienced before. But psychological stuff...I don't think I've had psychological symptoms (having come off a med) that are hugely different from my usual experience. I've never felt emotionally / psychologically well though.

Are there any good articles I should read about this? ie that antidepressants can be detrimental to mood disorders?

Thanks, Zel.

Dx ASD, Bipolar 2 & cPTSD

It started well before this (1990) but...

2008 - came off Efexor & Seoquel

2008? - 2016 Cymbalta, Lithium, Valium prn

(2015 - Valdoxan < 1 month 2016 - Provigil < 1 month

2016 - Straterra < 1 month)

March 2016 - Cymbalta, Lithium, Valium prn

March - start tapering Cymbalta by 10% April 10th - reduce May 1st - reduce May 24th - cold turkey (acupuncturist fool) - pretty bad withdrawal

May 27th - re-instate. June 29th - reduce. August 11th reduce. Sept 14th - reduce. Oct 23rd reduce. Nov 20th - reduce. Nov 29th - PROZAC SWITCH - started at equivalent dose to Cymbalta. 1/2 Lovan in 30ml water - take 10ml. Reduced by 1 ml at differing intervals - 3-5 weeks - until May 12th.

May12th - Antidepressant free!!

Zel,

There is a great deal of information. David Healy, Peter Breggin, Robert Whitaker, Charles Whitfield, Joanna Moncrief are a few who have written books on the subject. You can also find many articles in the Scientific Journals section http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/16-from-journals-and-scientific-sources/

There are treatment-emergent side effects that are recognized (agitation, anxiety, akathisia, suicidal/homicidal,sleep disturbance, bruxism, to name just a few). These are more 'activating'. After long term use, many authors have noted worsening of depression, emotional blunting, apathy, loss of motivation. The activating side effects are often misdiagnosed as anxiety and treated as such. The later worsening of depression is often diagnosed as treatment-resistant depression and additional meds added on (antipsychotics are common). Giovanna Fava and Andrews are two researchers who come to mind in the latter category. Their articles are in the section linked above.

Irving Kirsch and others have written extensively about the placebo effect and lack of efficacy of SS/NRIs.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Distinguishing between illness and side effects is not that difficult, though it seems too hard for many doctors.

Side effects are described in the medication package inserts, in FDA publications, in the Physician's Desk Reference, and many places online. They're not secret. If your doctor doesn't know about them, it's because your doctor is lazy and maybe a bad doctor.

Doctors too easily blame the patient for adverse effects from the drugs. Then they add more drugs to counter the side effects, adding the side effects of those drugs, too, and the danger of drug-drug interactions. Polypharmacy is bad for the patient's health.

One good place to read about drug side effects is http://www.drugs.com/pro/

Put your drug name into the search box, and you'll get official US FDA information. Doctors cannot argue with it.

Another thing about drug side effects:

Drug side effects occur after you start taking the drug.

If you, personally, did not have that symptom before, and it started after you took the drug, it is a drug side effect.

• 2 months later...

Hello - I have been tapering 10 months off of Prozac and am now down to 9 mg. I am 21 months benzo free....I am very very depressed - it is becoming worse....and I am wondering if that is now due to the lower dose of Prozac....is it always certain that as we lower our dose of the a/d, that we will get depressed. I mean it is an anti-depressant so that would make sense. I had been hoping that the depression was due to the benzo w/d....and that is would subside but it looks like it is doing the opposite. Hope this isn't a silly question. Thanks

Sally3

Have been on .125Klonopin for 17 years....was tapered off rapidly (3 weeks)from a 6 week updose of 1.50 K....went back on .125 K and tapered off there in 3 weeks - September 7 2010...horrible w/d sx. Have been suffering ever since, although do get windows.
Was put on 20 mg Prozac back in 1993 also...no issues ever with the prozac. Was told last summer to get off the Prozac by a psychiatrist who thought that my benzo w/d was really due to the Prozac i.e., jitteriness, shaking, nervous, anxiety and depression. He wanted me off in 3 months. I started decreasing 1 mg per months - am now down to 9 mg Prozac....feel like I have been tapering incorrectly.

Introductory Post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2439-sally3-i-am-new-here/page-1

• Administrator

Depression is a common withdrawal symptom from benzos and from antidepressants.

It's not always a symptom. Some people are overcome with neuro-anxiety or emotional anesthesia or physical symptoms rather than something they identify as "depression." Usually, simply feeling terrible no matter how you describe it makes people "depressed."

Given that the drugs change your brain and it takes some time for your brain to recover, it's far more likely that what you get when you withdrawal from drugs is withdrawal symptoms rather than "relapse."

At any rate, whether you are feeling neuro-depression or your own endogenous depression, you need to learn to manage it if you want to go off drugs.

The neuro-depression from withdrawal will eventually go away, or you will learn to cope with your own "depression," so either way it's all good.

• Moderator Emeritus

Why did he want you off Prozac in three months? after all you have been on it a long time, I'm no expert beccause we are all different, but I have been tapering 20mg Prozac and it's taken me four years so far, I am/was very sensitive to withdrawal. I wonder if the very fast taper off Prozac might be making you feel even worse? dunno, just a thought.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thanks for your responses - Strawberry - he wanted me off in 3 months because he is UNINFORMED.....as are most medical people. I'm doing it my way, not his. Four years is a long time tapering, wow - I guess I am going too fast. If I can ever get stable again, I am staying put for awhile.

Thanks again.

Sally3

Have been on .125Klonopin for 17 years....was tapered off rapidly (3 weeks)from a 6 week updose of 1.50 K....went back on .125 K and tapered off there in 3 weeks - September 7 2010...horrible w/d sx. Have been suffering ever since, although do get windows.
Was put on 20 mg Prozac back in 1993 also...no issues ever with the prozac. Was told last summer to get off the Prozac by a psychiatrist who thought that my benzo w/d was really due to the Prozac i.e., jitteriness, shaking, nervous, anxiety and depression. He wanted me off in 3 months. I started decreasing 1 mg per months - am now down to 9 mg Prozac....feel like I have been tapering incorrectly.

Introductory Post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2439-sally3-i-am-new-here/page-1

• 1 year later...

How do you know that your Anxiety and Depression Symptoms its Because of the Withdrawal and Because  you become addicted to the drug?. and its not Because the Recurrence of your Disease?

maybe the drug did helping you and only After you stoping takeing it you realize and Understand how much the drug makes you feel good and Important for you.

some People Thinks that the drug do not  helping them but only after they stop with it they Understand.

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

From the first topic at the link mentioned above:

"How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?
Typically, in withdrawal symptoms such as melancholia, anxiety, and disorientation come in intense waves, which differentiates them from relapse of a psychological condition.

In withdrawal, symptoms are much more intense than the original psychological condition. People suffering from withdrawal often say things like

- "This doesn't feel like my depression."
- "I've never had symptoms like this before."
- "I feel very weird and not like myself."

It's up to the individual to decide whether your body and brain are behaving "normally" as they did before you tried medication, or if you are feeling differently."

For me, the kind of depression that I experienced after I took an antidepressant was way more intense and deeper than anything I had ever experienced before taking an antidepressant.  And I became suicidal, which I had never before in my life been. After I tried to get off ADs a couple more times, I learned that there are other characteristic kinds of feelings and thoughts that I only get during withdrawal.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Level of ocd, anxiety and depression  I have now look nothing like what I experienced pre-med.

Also, for me, I have all the other physical symptoms along with it. 

Then when I start to doubt any of this I remember the very overwhelming "not myself feeling"

Nobody is going to convince me it's a relapse. 

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Hi

From my experience, depression comes in unexpectedly out of no where. Then suddenly leaves. I am not sure if these are mood swings or depression. I've never felt like this before, I just know this is not me, it is the med.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• 9 months later...

I have now dealt with these withdrawal symptoms for at least 15 months, despite being on a low dose of Sertralin for a relatively short period of time. And this idea keeps nagging me; how do I know for certain this is not anxiety appearing in a new form with added physical symptoms? Most of my symptoms are also well-known symptoms of something like chronic generalized anxiety.

I have no doubt withdrawal syndrome is a real thing, but my own doubt stems from several factors, like the aforementioned low dose I was on, my delayed response to tapering off (I was fine initially) and my very real anxieties about seeking work, relationships, self-confidence, life in general etc etc, that I also had before trying a SSRI. Also, my symptoms started at a very stressful time in my life when I was working too many hours while writing my thesis. How do I know for certain this is not a prolonged stress reaction combined with anxiety/depression?

The counter-argument is that, while I have dealt with a lot of anxiety before, they have never felt anything like these physical symptoms I have after stopping a SSRI at all. And I have not had this sensitivity to caffeine, alcohol and exercise before. People will say "the mind can play a lot of tricks on the body" and they're right but I just don´t understand how my anxiety could change so much in a year's time to include these physical symptoms and it just so happens to coincide with me stopping Sertraline. But my thoughts about this and the constant self-doubt remains...

Again, just to emphasize it, I'm not denying withdrawal is a very real and terrible thing for a lot of people, I'm just having my own personal doubts about this.

-

Hello,

Something I have wondered about that fits in with what you are talking about, is when I hear of people going through withdrawal for 'years' I can't help but wonder are they in withdrawal or is their original illness flaring up due to the fact that they are no longer on medication? Shouldn't there be a limit to how long a person can continue to be in wd? At one point does a person say 'this is no onger withdrawal?" Thank you!

Cberg

15 years of panic disorder back in the 1970's. Under pretty good control now.

Started Paxil two years ago for nightmares and depression after many eye and back surgeries

Started slow taper two years ago

Started at 15 mg. now down to 2.35 mg.

Symptoms during w/d included severe nausea in the morning, headaches, pulsating/throbbing in back of head

lightheadedness, depersonalization, lack of ambition or motivation to do anything

• Administrator

Hi Hexal

You already know that the way you tapered off the SSRI was not the best method and a 2 month taper is a rapid taper by our standards.  By alternating doses you batted your central nervous system around like a pinball machine.  In your case it appears that this has resulted in prolonged withdrawals.

Your system will attempt to adjust to the meds and then the changes in the meds.  This causes changes in various systems in your body like your endocrine system.  Specifically your cortisol regulation.  Low or high cortisol will result in anxiety.  Over time cortisol can regulate itself back to a normal rhythm.

The changes in your system result in the anxiety you are experiencing.  What we find is that we tend to have neuro-anxiety after our system is sensitized by these drugs.  That means that things that might have given us some mild anxiety before now gives us intense anxiety.  It does not mean that it is a return of your previous condition.  While it may feel similar to what your originally experienced, this is new and it is caused by the effects of the drug and withdrawing the drug from the system.

I encourage you to find non-drug methods to deal with your anxiety. 

You may find additional information in the links found is this section: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

I think one way to know if it's withdrawal or anxiety is whether you can distract or not. When I had panic disorder (without meds) I was able to distract and forget about the anxiety. Since being on meds and being in withdrawal, I have never been able to distract, no matter what I do. I do all the things that worked before I went on 'meds' and now they don't work. The most I manage is a few seconds. This is how I know it's the drugs. Plus things like brain zaps are definite withdrawal symptoms.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

You already know that the way you tapered off the SSRI was not the best method and a 2 month taper is a rapid taper by our standards.  By alternating doses you batted your central nervous system around like a pinball machine.  In your case it appears that this has resulted in prolonged withdrawals.

Correct, but what I don't get is why I would get a delayed withdrawal reaction then. If I battered my CNS for 2 months with a botched withdrawal attempt, why would it take 1-2 months before my symptoms became apparent? It just seems illogical that I wouldn't get an initial reaction during the tapering period like most people seem to do, especially now that I mistreated my CNS.

You're right about finding other ways to deal with anxiety and I'm trying to do so :-) It's just damn hard when the anxiety is tightly linked to a surge in symptoms that I don't control and that seems to shift daily.

WinningThrough: Seems like a reasonable way to discern the two. Though, I have never been sure what brain zaps are exactly. I have felt, and still feel, a ton of weird and unpleasant sensations in my head, but none of them seem to fit the description of "zaps" that happen when I move my head fast.

-

• 3 weeks later...
I started to slowly feel worse when I had a ct scan and a wisdom tooth (bottom-left) removed in the mid of june.
Since that moment I started to get a folliculitis and some acne which I still have now and does not go away. I feel much more fatigued than before. I have much lower libido than before. All after that surgery.
Is this a coincidence, is it withdrawal or there is something more?

end of 2010, prescribed paxil 20mg

1 year off cold turkey  september 2011- september 2012 (nightmare) escitalopram for 4 months (didn't help).

RI september 2012 20mg

october 2013 crash reaching 10mg

10/31/2013 updose to 14mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

November-December 2014 Big mistake, skipping doses BIG Crash

January 2015- 12 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lex,

Some people in withdrawal can have an increase in symptoms as a reaction to the anesthetic or other medications used during oral surgery.

Here is a thread which discusses it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4615-oral-surgery-during-multi-med-taper/

Perhaps you could hold for a while and let your nervous system settle down before continuing with your taper.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Correct, but what I don't get is why I would get a delayed withdrawal reaction then. If I battered my CNS for 2 months with a botched withdrawal attempt, why would it take 1-2 months before my symptoms became apparent? It just seems illogical that I wouldn't get an initial reaction during the tapering period like most people seem to do, especially now that I mistreated my CNS.

You're right about finding other ways to deal with anxiety and I'm trying to do so :-) It's just damn hard when the anxiety is tightly linked to a surge in symptoms that I don't control and that seems to shift daily.

WinningThrough: Seems like a reasonable way to discern the two. Though, I have never been sure what brain zaps are exactly. I have felt, and still feel, a ton of weird and unpleasant sensations in my head, but none of them seem to fit the description of "zaps" that happen when I move my head fast.

I read your post and your WD history.  I have exactly the same symptoms.  

I am new here.  I didn't know about WD until a week ago and did so many wrong things with my meds.  It is because of the delayed acute symptoms 1-2 months, I always thought that was the relapse of my depression.  

With this condition, how people function their daily life?  I work from home but I try to go out everyday and it is so difficult to make myself get out of the house.  

2004 Sept paxil 

2005 July I quit Paxil(CT) Sept., acute WD/relapse then reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.

2006 March quit Paxil (CT) again then April acute WD/relapse reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.   

2010 Oct. I had the same episode above 

2011, I had a breast cancer (stage 1) and doctor changed Paxil to Effexor 37.5 mg.  (she said effexor works for hot flushes and it's better for me)

2012 in May, Effexor dose was increased to 75 mg because it wasn't working much for my hot flushes.  

2014 in May, I changed back to 37.5 mg.  Because of few of the side effects I did not like.

My breast cancer is now all cleared. 

2012-2014 I was quitting effexor every 3 months without knowing the harmful consequences. no WD until 2014 Aug. 

2014 2014 Aug 25 after 1.5 months of off Effexor, WD reinstated 75mg for 10 days and got adverse reaction then Finally found this forum 
2014 Sept 1 reduced the dose to 37.5 
2014 Sept 20 took antibiotics (amoxillin) for tooth implant which led me to terrible WDS again  
         Oct 13 started to taper;  took 4 beads out of 38.  had one great week and Oct 21, after flu shot, acute WD
 I realized each cap has a different number of beads.  Started to count 34 beads. Waves and Windows in 2 weeks interval.   
2014 Dec. 28 Started Prozac bridge with my psychiatrist's instruction.  Added Prozac 5mg
2015 Jan 07 started to taper Effexor 5 beads everyday  
2015 Jan 13 Effexpr 0 beads +Prozac 1.25 ml (5 mg) +Klonopin 0.25 mg at night: since tapering off Effexor, feeling great, much less tinnitus and tingling pain 
2015 Jan 22 increased Prozac to 10 mg due to the depression.
supplement: fish oil 2400 multi Vt. Jan 8 changed to EPA 1200 + DHA 600 

• 4 months later...

So severe depression in withdrawal is also down to cortisol?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

One way to distinguish between a neuro-emotion from withdrawal and "normal" depression (I hate that word, it's a psychiatric term to describe every kind of sadness) is that neuro-emotions come in intense waves without apparent emotional triggers.

But what if there ARE emotional triggers? Many people in withdrawal also have stressful or painful life circumstances. I am having a very hard time sorting out what is withdrawal, what is "depression" (I hate the word too) and what is a normal response to a huge amount of stress and pain in my life. It's all one big mess. And so am I.

Trying to get off Paxil since 2007. Was tapering by 0.1 mg every 4-5 weeks. Had awful crash in November 2015 at .5 mg; updosed gradually to 2 mg. 

Doing better and tapering again, much slower this time.  2016: Dropped from 2 mg to 1.62 mg.  2017:  1.62 mg to 1.2 mg. 2018: 1.2 mg to .76 mg. 2019: .76 mg to .56 mg. 2020: .56 mg to .33 mg. 2021: .33 mg to .13 mg. 2022: .13 mg to .03 mg. 6/12/23 .002 mg. OFF PAXIL 9/4/23

Started Klonopin in November 2015 to deal with crash. 1/10/16 started milk titration taper from .5 mg. Finished taper 12/6/17. Still take Klonopin for agoraphobia 2 - 3 times a week. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy