SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Raito: Can Quetiapine and Trazodone cause all this?

Raito

Hello everyone!

I joined this forum because I'm in trouble. I really am. My life took a turn for the worse and I'm stuck into a real nightmare that keeps torturing me in the same fashion, every day.

I started taking psychodrugs in order to deal with a strange insomnia that actually hit me out of the blue. The only apparent cause I was able to find was a recent antibiotic therapy with a drug (Levofloxacin) known to cause symptoms of anxiety and mental hyper arousal in predisposed people and mimicking benzo withdrawal. Such an unexpected side effect would have taken a toll on me if it hadn't been for sedative drugs, so that's why I started taking them. I am relying on them to lead a somewhat normal life. Or something that resembles one. Just pointing this out, I never had any mental issues before. I was prescribed a benzo to deal with insomnia and was on Klonopin for six months. I successfully withdrew from it with a slow taper, since it became ineffective in just a couple of weeks...

I have been on 80 mg of Trazodone for about one year and 17.75 of Quetiapine for five months now.

I'm on the combination of both now since Trazodone alone wasn't providing me more than 3 hours of sleep. And Quetiapine alone causes me a helpless depression... If I take them together at nighttime I actually can sleep for 7 solid hours.

However, something is definitely wrong with these drugs.

I'm scared of what they are doing to my brain and my body. I have chronic strange vibrating feelings all over my body, but mostly in my legs. They ache, all day long. My body feels hot and I'm very heat intolerant. My joint aches a lot, especially my ankles, and when I use them a lot my wrists. My feet tingle, burn, sometimes are numb and I have mild pin and needles sensations. Not to mention the strange vibrating feelings in my mouth, in the gums, like someone is trying to electrocute me! I get them with no apparent reason, and prevent me from relaxing spontaneously. Like I was always on an adrenaline rush. And, of course, taking the drugs is the only thing that stops them...

I can't relax on my own, I always need a chemical help. It's virtually impossible to stop these vibrating feelings if I don't take the meds.

I'm almost comatose in the morning, I just can't think straight and it takes me hours to be able to 'think' and reason again. I sleep well but I always have very vivid dreams when the drugs are wearing off. It's hard to tell if I'm awake or just dreaming, it feels like I'm thinking at an unnatural speed. I have no control over my thoughts, anyway.

In addition, I always been very smart and with Quetiapine I just feel retarded. I can't think it straight. Then, all of a sudden, in the late afternoon, I feel like someone came to unchain my mind, and I start thinking so fast i can't focus on anything, I feel like thins are moving too quickly and my body aches even more. I've always been taking the drugs at the tiniest effective dose and I don't want to take more during the day. I start easily, I can feel a rush of electricity in my body at every sound and I just can't calm down. It's not even anxiety. I never got a panic attack. Sounds more like hyperactivity and restlessness!

I've tried to withdraw from Trazodone but taking less than 50 mg caused me to burst into tears and feel absolutely hopeless.

I'm on a paleo diet right now, high in berries, fresh fruit and organic lean meat, I take zinc, magnesium, potassium, as well as probiotics and colostrum since I have been diagnosed with a bad form of leaky gut and chronic body inflammation, but they proved to be unable to prevent these relapses and these odd pains.

Is really such a tiny dose of Quetiapine causing this? It shouldn't even affect my dopamine receptors at that dose, should it? Are my issues caused by noradrenaline instead? I'm

I'm only 25, I don't want to spend the rest of my life on drugs that are doing more harm than good.

Edited by scallywag
tags

Klonopin (4th April 2016-28th September 2016) for a relentless insomnia caused by an adverse reaction to Levofloxacin (25th - 29th March 2016). I tried other benzos for a couple of days but they were ineffective (Xanax, Halcion, Ambien).

Trazodone (Since June 2016, up to 80 mg/day at night time). Seroquel instant relapse (25 mg, first August-September 2016. Another try, 25 mgs before and 17.75 mg then, from January to present). I take both at night time.

Seroquel XR (a tiny 50 mg) proved to be ineffective.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Raito, welcome to SA.  I am sorry that you are in this state because of the drugs you have been prescribed. 

Can you give us some more details?  

Have you always taken the 17.75 of quetiapine or did you go to a higher dose before dropping to this dose?  

How do you get the dose, is it by cutting tablets?

Are the tablets instant release or extended release? It should say on the pack.

When did you stop Klonopin?  

When and how did you try to stop trazodone, and how long were you without it when you tried quetiapine alone? 

I am sorry for all the questions, but it seems that your nervous system is unstable and I am trying to work out what is causing the most problems.

The antibiotic is notorious for causing all kinds of awful symptoms that can take a long time to settle. It is known as being 'floxed'. Were there any other symptoms besides insomnia? 

When we have the answers to the questions we might have a better picture of why all this is happening. 

It will help us if you can put your drug history in your signature, just the drugs and when started, stopped and dose changes. You can find instructions here..

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello! Thanks for your kind answer!

I've written a brief summary of the drugs I have been on in my signature, as suggested. In addition, I'd like to apologise for any spelling mistakes I could make, I'm not an English native.

Unfortunately, I know even too well that my issues have been caused by an adverse reaction to that antibiotic. It's a matter of the utmost importance to find out whether the other problems I have developed may depend on the drugs I take (in spite of being on a relatively tiny dose) or may be due to further damage from the antibiotic.

Of course, I'll give you further details about the drugs I have been on. You aren't being annoying at all, I'm just eager to find out as much as I can about my health issues.

As you can see in my signature, my highest Seroquel dose was 25 mg. My psychiatrist put me on it in order to deal with benzo withdrawal and it worked fine. I was able to stop it and relied on it and Trazodone for sleep. Then, after three weeks, I just stopped taking it cold turkey. I had no visible consequences. My sleep worsened again in January and then I re-added Quetiapine, at 25 mgs again. After a while I realised it was making me too drowsy and since the effect didn't go away with time I decided to reduce by a quarter. 12.5 mg isn't strong enough to help me sleep, but 17.75 worked well! I use a pill cutter and I try to cut the most accurate way possible. I have been on this dose for 2 months now.

I tried Seroquel XR (50 mg) as suggested by my psychiatrist but the effect was too mild to be a good insomnia remedy. However, I keep those pills as an emergency 'anxiety remedy'. But till now I have never taken on for this purpose. I tried the XR form at the dose of 150 mgs for a week, but wasn't sedating at all... It worked like a strong antidepressant instead making me feel relaxed but not sleepy. I switched to the instant relapse form again because my psychiatrist couldn't see any reason to continue, my symptoms don't match a bipolar disorder.

I'm lucky enough, I guess, because he is a toxicologist and believes in what that antibiotic can do to one's nervous system. He offered me drugs to cope and insisted on the fact that giving me benzos before I made an appointment with him was the worst thing that could have been done! According to him and some research I did myself, the GABAnergic system is the one affected in this kind of toxicity and who knows, if I hadn't taken Klonopin when I went to the local emergency room I would have been healed by now...

Coming back to your questions, I stopped Klonopin in the end of September 2016, and started at the beginning of April 2016. I didn't do that cold turkey but I tapered as suggested on another website I found, at the rate of 1 drop (0.1 mg) every week. My initial dose was 1 mg, so I spent two months and a half tapering. I stopped taking Trazodone when I switched to Quetiapine, in September, so as to deal with the toughest part of the withdrawal. At the end of the month I switched back to Trazodone. However, in January 2017 it lost its effectiveness for sleep and I tried to switch to Seroquel again. This time the drug made me so depressed that I couldn't believe it. I talked with my psychiatrist and he suggested to add Trazodone to deal with this feeling. It worked, I'd say. So, to sum up, at present, I'm taking 17.75 mgs of Seroquel and 80 mgs of Trazodone.

I experimented a little there and I find that a dose smaller than 50 mgs wouldn't give me the sleep I need nor be effective for depression.

In this long period of time I tried other supplements I haven't listed before, such as a plethora of herbal GABAnergic ones (tilium, Passion flower, hop, valerian root), melatonin. The only one I could get a significant benefit from is L-theanine. I was also suggested to take other benzos instead of Klonopin at the beginning, but my attempts weren't successful. Halcion knocked me out for less than an hour, Xanax didn't work at all for sleep and Ativan (I have been on it for just a week) made me panicky as the effect wore off... So it wasn't worth it.

Other symptoms? That's a tough question. At the very beginning I wasn't anxious. I was just insomniac, unable to catch a wink of sleep. I felt like I had drunk too much coffee. I wasn't anxious, my mind was just extremely aroused, I remember myself being able to answer to the questions of a TV show in spite of three totally sleepless night! At the fourth night I got electric like feelings everytime my body tried to shut down by exhaustion. It was like my mind was preventing my body from falling asleep or even feeling drowsy.

This hasn't changed a lot, unfortunately. Without drugs I would just stare at the ceiling for days... And I can't relax nor feel drowsy, they just turn me off all at once.

The vibration feelings were present after a few days on Klonopin, but they worsened since I withdrew from it and added Quetiapine. I suspect the combination of Trazodone and Seroquel of being nasty. My whole body is wrecked, and by now it's virtually impossible to tell apart which symptoms are from the antibiotic reaction and which ones are sides effects of drugs I can't tolerate well.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your support and advice!

Klonopin (4th April 2016-28th September 2016) for a relentless insomnia caused by an adverse reaction to Levofloxacin (25th - 29th March 2016). I tried other benzos for a couple of days but they were ineffective (Xanax, Halcion, Ambien).

Trazodone (Since June 2016, up to 80 mg/day at night time). Seroquel instant relapse (25 mg, first August-September 2016. Another try, 25 mgs before and 17.75 mg then, from January to present). I take both at night time.

Sorry, I forgot!

Here are my supplements...

I'm not on any other med at the moment, except from paracetamole for pain every now and then. I take it sporadically.

- With breakfast

Probiotic L.reuteri

Bovine colostrum

- Break

Magnesium, potassium

Omega 3, Vitamin E

- Evening

Magnesium, zinc

L-theanine

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Raito, it seems that so many changes have caused a lot of the problems. There could also be some benzo withdrawal, although you tapered it was quite fast. I am going to ask the other mods to take a look, my feeling is that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms which are relieved by taking the drugs, but I am not sure which drug is causing the withdrawal symptoms. Has it been just 80mg trazodone and 17.75mg quetiapine since January?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Hello, Raito.

When did the vibration sensations start? The overheated sensations? Do they happen at a particular time of day?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Do you follow the guidelines for good "sleep hygiene"? See these topics

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello! 

Thanks to both of you for your kind answers!

I'll answer to mammaP first.
At first, I thought the same. Maybe it's all about my GABA receptors that have gone crazy... However, how is it possible? I took my last dose, a tiny 0.1 mg, more than 8 months ago. And since then nothing seems to have changed. I didn't even feel worse as I withdrew from Klonopin since I was immediately put on another medication... 

I don't think it was so fast, it took as long as the time I have been on the full dose of the med. But if my receptors were already damaged by the antibiotic, well, it may be the case... 

Interestingly, I seem to have a relapse every time I take something whose mechanism is somewhat related to GABA receptors! For instance, HOP extract, hawthorn extract, valerian root... I'm pretty indecisive about magnesium and zinc, but I'm zinc deficient and I need both. They may affect my nervous system to some extent.

And yes, I've been on that combination for six months now. Maybe it wasn't so easy to figure out from my previous words...

I've noticed my electric zaps have got worse since I added quetiapine to my daily regimen... 

Hello, Altostrata!

Thanks for answering to my thread as well. Thinking back to it, the first time I noticed them was when I started developing a tolerance to Klonopin... I had just started taking Trazodone as well since Klonopin alone had proven to be ineffective to knock me out at night... but I was still on a tiny dose (20 mgs). 

Those sensations worsened as I withdrew from Klonopin, in spite of how much care I had put into it! I think they reached their peak when I added Seroquel. And now, since I take both the meds at a considerable dose and they are at their worst, I think combining them wasn't a wise choice... 

Both of them seem to occur as soon as the effect of one of the drugs wears off. Being their half-life of about 8 hours, it wouldn't surprise me if I took them at 10 PM and started shaking at 8 AM. I used to feel groggy while being on Seroquel but now I just wake up in a hyperexcitation rush. Sometimes I calm down while having breakfast. It's odd, I'm still somewhat sedated but my body starts experiencing those odd sensations of restlessness and uneasiness. By lunchtime and early afternoon I'm already so excited I can hardly stand those sensations at all. By the end of the day when I finally lie down to sleep I'm just vibrating like I was wired to a battery and having random electric-like feelings. The scariest one is the annoying feeling of being electroctued in my mouth, that lasts for hours at a time. It's still bearable, but of course it prevents me from relaxing... 
I just supposed all the information I wrote above since I'm a biologist and I have a medical background. 

I experimented a little, and taking a tiny dose of Seroquel or Trazodone during the day seem to ease the symptoms, especially the electric shock ones, in my back and in my head. However, it isn't a wise thing to do, and I'm not willing to insist on doing that! 

I already keep a diary when I wrote everything down, including my experiments and their effects. 

Thanks for sharing those advice with me, but unfortunately it's nothing new to me. The only thing I know for sure is that my cortisol is low during the day and very very high at night, because I had a test done. And, as I wrote before, I feel hyperaroused as soon as I wake up. Of course, this 'inversion' may contribute greatly my issues and turn the insomnia into a cronic problem...

I've tried melatonin, at all doses, from the tiny 0.5 mgs to 5 mgs... but it didn't work at all, at any dose. The only supplement that proved to be effective was L-theanine at a pretty high dose, but now I'm not taking it anymore at that dose since it may prevent the GABAnergic system from healing... And since I took Klonopin and withdrew from it I don't seem to be able to tolerate supplements which act on GABA receptors, like valerian root. It would calm me down at first but the second or third time I take it it would be worthless or even causing further arousal.

What do you think? Of course, I'm here because I need some answers, and sharing my story with people who have gone through (and get over!) similar situations may be extremely helpful. 

I was thinking of talking to my psychiatrist because my therapy wasn't intended to treat anxiety but only to be an insomnia relief... 

Does this make sense at all, since the all sensations I described before came as a consequence of such meds? Should I try to take more and stabilize so that my body is always on the med rather than withdrawing from where I am? 

I'm not going to withdraw now because it would mean to give up to my PhD... that's the only reason why I keep taking those meds rather than trying to go without them... 

Edited by Raito

• Moderator Emeritus

I know that you feel you tapered slowly from klonopin but what you tell us points to withdrawal symptoms.  

Those sensations worsened as I withdrew from Klonopin, in spite of how much care I had put into it! I think they reached their peak when I added Seroquel.

Most people can't tolerate drugs or supplements the same when the nervous system is compromised. Things that were ok before cause side effects. which could be why you reacted to seroquel.  As you know, klonopin is a benzodiazepine and seroquel is an anti psychotic and would not have stopped withdrawal but might have eased some symptoms.  Trazodone can also be very activating for some people but is fine for others. 

The experiments with the other drugs and supplements will also have been destabilising. Unfortunately, doctors very rarely understand the drugs they prescribe and often try to switch them around, adding some and taking some away which causes havoc. When people are suffering they feel they have to do something, anything and try everything there is to try but sometimes the best thing to do is nothing, just wait for the nervous system to heal and regain homoeostasis.  If taking a little of them eases the symptoms it might be better to look at taking divided doses, instead of getting the hit in one dose which is activating.  I can't take anything, and have tried all the supplements too but they all have side effects. Melatonin does nothing for me either so I truly empathise. 

2002  effexor. 

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody! 

Thanks again for your kind answers. I wanted to update you about my situation. 

I successfully withdrew from the drugs and I have been drug free for two weeks now. 

First, I switched to 12.5 mg of Seroquel rather than 17.75 mg. I did it easily and it didn't affect my sleep at all. It even seemed to help me sleep better, maybe because of its heavier antihistamine effect. I went down to 40 mgs of Trazodone. I only noticed that I felt agitated earlier in the day, because the dose was tinier. I was still getting all the strange symptoms I was talking about before (electric zaps, restlessness, agitation, above all!). 

From such doses, I withdrew. I simply stopped taking them and replaced them with other supplements, hoping to be able to cope. The first day was OK. I didn't panic, nor feel more anxious than usual. I didn't sleep at all but felt 'active', unable to relax or even feel sleepy. The second day I slept 2 hours and started feeling strange. Always hyper activated. The first days I slept extremely bad, being stuck in a state called 'hypnagogia', in which I was able to see my room but half unconscious. Unable to tell my rapid thoughts apart from actual dreams, if any. Half asleep and half awake. Hardly reached any form of deep sleep at all. I must have slept a little bit but unable to realise it, I missed time lapses (from 5 to 7 AM). During the first days I used 5-HTP 200 mg and Hop extracts to help me sleep, besides a tiny dose of magnesium and L-theanine I was already taking before. As days went by I was destroyed psysically, because I never reached deep sleep. I added a B complex supplement (B1, B6, B12) and went to 150% RDA magnesium. I also take valerian, hawthorn and Passion flower to sleep and I'm now able to get 6 uninterrupted hours every night!! I got immediate benefits from increasing magnesium. 

Unfortunately, I still get most of the sids effects I was having while on the drugs. But some things have gotten better. My mind is slower now, I don't feel restless but I'm still too active to feel drowsy naturally. Maybe tired, but not drowsy. I'm somewhat always tense, not really anxious, but hypersensitive to anything. My feet tingle less, I get less electric shocks in my body and when I do I just have to lie down and calm down for a little. 

Unfortunately, I feel fatigued. My feet and hand tingle get worse when I get an 'anxiety' attack. It's odd, my mind doesn't panic, but my vision gets shaky and I feel uncomfortable. I just ignore it and it goes down to a bearable but constant level. I can't relax till the end but it's better then before. 

I sweat easily and sometimes just feel like sweating, even though the place is comfortable for most people. 

And a strange electric shock pain in my jaw just won't go away. It's like somebody is going to electrocute me. Same for my feet, they tingle, they burn, sometimes same goes for my hand. The problems are always there. My perception and sense of balance are disturbed and I feel dizzy easily. They 'anxiety spikes' seem to be cyclical and are more likely to occur in the afternoon. In the morning I'm calmer. 

What do you think? I'm terrified it could be peripheral neuropathy rather than withdrawal. And I can't figure out while I still feel so menaced and tense. 

• Moderator Emeritus

All the symptoms you list are common in withdrawal. Please read:

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list -- downloads available in the first post.

Many people experience a period of feeling well for a few weeks after discontinuing medication. After that "honeymoon" the symptoms come on strong.  Supplements that might work on someone who has never taken psych medications, such as 5-HTP, hops and other herbal remedies, will not make a difference for withdrawal symptoms.  Each time you started taking a new medication, trazodone and quetiapine (Seroquel), your CNS (central nervous system) made changes to adapt to the presence of the drug.  When you stopped taking the medications, your CNS has to undo all those changes. The reason we suggest a slow taper -- decreasing one drug at a time and by no more than 10% per month -- is to give your CNS time to make the changes gradually.  Sudden discontinuation forces your CNS to make ALL the changes AT ONE TIME.  Here are a few links with other explanations of this process:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

What do you think about starting to take the medications again, probably at a lower dose than what you were taking 2 weeks ago?  For more information about this idea of "reinstatement" please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet