Hello,

My name is Cathy and I live in Minnesota.  I have a long history of depression, numerous meds, ECT, a study for VNS, a study for genotypes, etc.  Typically I would get into more detail but it hurts too much to type.  

I started Nardil about 7-8 weeks ago and was on a steady 60 mg. dose for at least five weeks.  Early on I started developing "carpal tunnel" type symptoms.  I had done a short MAO  trial in the late 80s and remembered when I was on one, I had almost had carpal tunnel surgery.  I went off the MAO for other reasons and the symptoms all went away, prior to surgery fortunately.  I later learned that Nardil depletes B6.  When my symptoms started this time, I began adding in B6.  I was not sleeping well, often up til 4 or 5 am unless I took Trazadone, in which case I would sleep until 4 or 5 pm.  About two weeks ago, I started getting more fidgety, restless legs, etc (the insomnia was different from what I typically have--if I can't sleep it is usually because my brain will not shut off.  This insomnia was as if my body did not want to go to sleep--tossing, turning, etc. 

My back and neck started becoming tighter too--I am a typical type A, first born, Taurus, former lawyer--so they are usually tight to begin with.  This was worse.

With insomnia, restlessness, etc. I stayed up and did a lot of housework, cleaning the basement, cleaning the garage, etc.  Somewhere along the way, my shoulders, neck, arms, and hands developed excruciating pain.  The hands were typical neuropathy symptoms.  I could not drive or type.  I used heat, ice, lots of Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Tylenol, and even some old celebrex. I did gentle stretches.  I had chiropractic.  Nothing helped.  I went to urgent care and was given muscle relaxers (one that was safe with an MAO) and a referral to physical therapy.  Those did not help either.  All in all, I think the symptoms were due to pyridoxine depletion (my nerves were probably more prone to damage--recovered alcoholic who had footdrop--although the college incident makes me wonder if I am just low on B6 to start with), a lack of sleep (thus no healing), and the added movements and tension. 

I am still experiencing the neck and hand pain.  It is a little better now, thus the typing.  However, in the last few days, it has been to the point where I can't even move my fingers.

I am now going off Nardil.  I feel more depressed, angry, irritated, jumpy, fidgety, extremely restless, tired but not sleepy, and in general, bad all over.  I am not sure when the use symptoms overlap with the withdrawal symptoms.  Typically I do not have much for withdrawal symptoms, but this sucks.  I did read the advice--keep it simple and stable and taper slowly.  Right now I am about one step away from checking in to the hospital--but it is the weekend and the holiday on Monday.  Plus once I get there, I will have wished I stayed home.

Just looking for support and understanding.  My fiancee (provided our relationship makes it thru this) does not really get depression or meds.  He tries, but his understanding of it is limited.

Thank you,

Cathy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cathy, welcome to SA.  Can you tell us more about how you used trazodone and the muscle relaxers, which were they?  

As you have only been on nardil for 6 weeks and are having serious side effects you might be better to do a faster taper.

Have you started to taper yet? 

I took nardil years ago and the side effects were so horrendous I had to go into hospital to get off it, so I understand completely.

Nardil and trazodone are not supposed to be prescribed together, there should be a 2-week interval between stopping one and starting the other. 

From the interactions checker.......

Interactions between your selected drugs
Major trazodone  phenelzine

Applies to: trazodone, Nardil (phenelzine)

Using phenelzine together with traZODone is not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. In general, you should wait at least 14 days after stopping phenelzine before you start treatment with traZODone. Conversely, if you have recently been on traZODone and are now starting treatment with phenelzine, you should check with your doctor or pharmacist to see how long you should wait before it is safe for you to use phenelzine, as some medications can take a while to clear from your body. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Could you out your drug history in your signature for us? You can find the instructions here. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

When we have the answer to the questions we will have a better idea of what is going on. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 7 months later...

Any update?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017