Anime: My Prozac nightmare

Anime

I was misdiagnosed with major depression, and prescribed Prozac 20mg. I actually have Bipolar 1 disorder. Six days into taking Prozac that night I began having horrible thoughts [mod note: deleted graphic violent thoughts]. I knew these thoughts were horribly wrong! But I couldn't make them stop, I had to check into a psychiatric facility for fear I would hurt someone or myself. It's been a little over a year now since that occurred, but I am a highly sensitive person, and I still struggle with accepting what happened to me. I feel I was robbed of some of my innocence that I can't get back now.
Edited by scallywag
delete specific violent thoughts
  • KarenB changed the title to Anime: My Prozac nightmare
  • Moderator Emeritus

Anime -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Some people do have horrific violent thoughts arise as a result of taking prescribed psychiatric medication such as Prozac. I'm sorry that you were put through that.

Are you still taking Prozac or any other psychoactive prescription medication?

On this site we provide members with information about how to taper off psych meds safely. How can we assist you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I am no longer taking any kind of SSRI or Antidepressant I basically refuse after what happened to me. I have received a few sessions of Rapid eye movement therapy to help with the trauma that I went through. I am now taking two mood stabilizers for my Manic-depression. Lithium, and Lamictal I feel this combination serves me well. I just felt so alone in my experience for a long time, but I'm hopeful it will get better as time goes on. 

• Administrator

Hello, Anime.

What makes you think you have manic-depression?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Because it runs on my Fathers side of the family, my Father had it. I also had a major episode of mania in the winter of 2015-2016 it went on for four weeks I didn't sleep for that entire period of time, I felt euphoric, I talked constantly, had racing uncontrolled thoughts, it started to become agonizing after a while with the lack of sleep, this was acctually when a psychiatrist put me back on Prozac, a very stupid move on his part this is when it made me have Homicidal thoughts, and suicidal thoughts. The mania continued after I stopped with the Prozac I began to think I was spiritually awakened, as the mania closed I slipped in to the worst depression/ dissacociation/ depersonalization ever. After another stay at a different psychiatric hospital I was properly diagnosed with Bipolar 1 disorder having a mixed episode.