lookingforrainbows: 3 months of Zoloft withdrawal hell - can't take much more

lookingforrainbows

Hi everyone. I found you today while frantically googling for answers after another 'episode' on my Zoloft withdrawal journey to hell.

I am a 42 year old mother of two beautiful school ages boys, and had been on 100mg Zoloft for 5 years, since the first year of the birth of my second child. I started tapering off 3 months ago in consultation with my dr, it looks like it was a quick taper after everything I've now read, cutting off 25mg a week, so a taper of 4 weeks.  

My life has been hell ever since.  I've experienced every symptom I've read about, brain zap, headaches etc, but the worst has been the tears and the tantrums.  I get so angry and cry all the time, I worry about how it's affecting my life and how much longer I can be this person.  I have had suicidal thoughts, quite often it's the guilt of what this is doing to my children, my youngest mentioned that I cry all the time the other day, heartbreaking.

My mother attempted suicide when I was 8 and the memories of that linger and so I worry about what it's doing to my children.  I get so upset I want to pull my hair out And have tried, I,Ve bitten my bottom lip until it bleeds to take away the pain in my heart, there are definite windows with my waves, the zaps have seemed to stop which gives me hope.  I spend most of my week holding it together ( I'm a teacher for gods sake, this is not being an easy process at work), but I dread the weekends, they are dark and scary and the worst moments, I know I'm waffling and probably not making sense, but this is the first time I've been able to release these feelings in words.  Only my husband and my dr know about this.  

I revisited my dr, she was shocked at my symptoms, but it seems they are quite quite normal.  I feel like if this carries on much longer I will ruin everything in my life.  Jesus, I se no end, but I am sure about one thing, I wish I,d never taken this poison and I never want to go back on them. Thanks for listening

Edited by Altostrata
Added paragraph breaks

Prescribed Zoloft for PND approx June 2011

April 2017 - began 4 week taper to zero

100mg  reduced to 75mg week 1

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

August 2017 - 25mg prednisone prescribed for sinusitis (quit cold turkey after 7 days after increased withdrawal symptoms) 

• Administrator

Welcome, looking.

Yes, you have withdrawal syndrome. Your doctor said this was normal?

Please stay calm. Realize the symptoms are your upset nervous system, they're not you, and they are not permanent.

When was the last time you took Zoloft? Do you have any Zoloft left?

Please see

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome to the forum.  I'm sorry to hear you are going through this and have gone through so much as a child.  I too have childhood and later memories stemming from family circumstances that have created strife for me. And, I'm also on zoloft.   When you read through the links Alto has provided you will have a better idea of what you can do to feel better regarding the Zoloft withdrawal  caused by the quick taper. 

I've found talking and fully discussing the events I went through with a therapist and a priest helping in coming to terms with things that I had gone through. Once you stabilize from this zoloft withdrawal, maybe that's something you might want to also consider?

With very best wishes,

M.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Thanks for your responses and the links, I'm finding them useful. 

I have been completely off Zoloft for about 10 weeks, (a school term), I do have some 50mg left.

I'm desperately trying to stay calm, the worst things are that my kids are at the defiant whingy stage which really messes with my patience, I worry so much about how it's affecting them.

Secondly, I cry sooo much, I sit in the school cubicles at recess and worrry about the fact that others can tell I'm upset, and god forbid looking ready in front of the kids in class. There is no room for emotional instability in education, we're on show all day. I can cope with all the rest, it's not being able to regulate my crying and anger that are making life feel pointless, I've even thought about quitting my job.

This just all sucks and I'm angry that Thw doctors don't know what to do. My doctor originally told me that I would get some symptoms then after about 3 weeks I would experience a euphoria and to not get used to it because it wouldn't last, and then I would be ok again a few weeks later. She said the difference between me and my mother is that she gave up and I am trying to get better, I get that and appreciate that.

Therapy never really helped me in the past, I felt like I was whining all of the time and just want to get on with life. I'm a fixer, if something's wrong I find ways to make it better, I didn't like my job in marketing so I became a teacher, so this.. this not knowing, is killing me literally ;(

Edited by scallywag
insert paragraph breaks for readability

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

August 2017 - 25mg prednisone prescribed for sinusitis (quit cold turkey after 7 days after increased withdrawal symptoms) 

Just wanted to lend you some support.  I am the same age and have two children under the age of 5.  I, too, was on sertraline for postpartum depression for 2.5 years after my second child.  WD is intense and at times seems impossible. 

The moderators will have excellent advice on whether or not you should reinstate.  If you have that option it could reduce your symptoms significantly.

Hold on.  What you're going thru is unfortunately very normal for WD symptoms.  I hope things get better for you.  I'm very sorry that you are going through this an empathize with you.

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

Thanks so much Trying, this is just what I need,support from those who know. I can't believe after weeks of googling I only just came across this forum and needed  to use the f word in my search to find it lol. 

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

Hello Looking, 

You were on the drug for 5 years! I was on sertraline for only 3 months and quit cold turkey and I had a range of dangerous symptoms... Depression, crying spells, depersonalization, disorientation, cognitive problems and many more.. these are withdrawal symptoms. The greatest mistake I did was to go back to the doctor only to be misdiagnosed as schizophrenic and be given antipsychotics. Don't do the mistake I did. These are withdrawal nothing else. 

Accept them, people and loved ones will have to suffer a little because there is just no other way. You need to deal with them you are strong. Hang in there. It will get better with time.

Yes, the moderators' advice to reinstate and then come off very very slowly might help.

Take care. 

Aug 2010 - Diagnosed with major depression with melancholic features
Aug to Nov 2010 - Sertraline 200 mg + Clonazepam 0.5 mg (per day); felt bliss
Dec 2010 - Quit cold turkey thinking I recovered; range of withdrawal including OCD, Hallucinations, Depersonalization, Anxiety
Mar 2011 to May 2013 - Went back to doc, experiments with different antipsychotics, SSRIs and nothing worked; Zombie
May 2013 to Aug 2015 - Only on Escitalopram 10 mg; tapered and finally off in Aug 2015 and ever since; slowly recovering
Nov 2016 to Apr 2017 - Tried DHA supplement and caused adverse reaction; Weird physical symptoms and Hypochondria  

Hi,

So again, everyone's brain chemistry is different and nobody knows what the drugs do, but, for me, withdrawing cold turkey or in a month completely destroyed me.

I have even had the pleasure of spending a year in an olanzapine withdrawal with psychosis et al. That was after quitting cold turkey. So - again, that's just me - I would suggest reinstating and tapering off slowly. For me 10 months long Olanzapine withdrawal made the difference, 1 months long was impossible. Now apparently Zoloft is harder to taper off from than Olanzapine, at least in my experience. I've just finished a 10 month long Zoloft withdrawal and it is not something I'd recommend to anyone.

1 year risperidone, 1 year olanzapine (10 mg). attempted first withdrawal cold turkey, failed. 2 more years olanzapine, switched to abilify which was very disruptive so attempted quitting cold turkey, failed. then 4 years amisulpride at 150 mg and about 3 zoloft at 150 mg. attempted withdrawal from both in 3 weeks, failed. reinstated zoloft and bridged to olanzapine (10 mg), successfully withdrew it over 10 months. tried withdrawing zoloft over 12 months, failed. bridged to prozac, at 40 mg,  now at 12 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

LFrainbows - are you open to the idea of reinstating a very small dose of Zoloft? That is the only known treatment for withdrawal symptoms.  Altostrata posted a link that explains reinstating. I'll repost it: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

When we say a small dose, we mean much much smaller than your last dose (25 or 50 mg?) -- probably less than 2 mg. Please read the first post.

If you would like to reinstate, please post that intention here in your introduction topic as well as any questions you have about it.

A doctor may dismiss the idea of such a low dose. If you get that kind of response, just ask "What's the harm of trying? Are there significant risks? I thought side effects increased with dose, so taking a lower dose should be safer, right?"

Many doctors are poorly informed about discontinuation syndrome.  They rely on the manufacturer's studies, which are carefully engineered to make it look as if a few weeks taper yields only mild symptoms for a short time.  Sadly, people like you, me, and other members of this site pay the price for this fraudulent propaganda. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies and support. I've been quiet for a week because I've been feeling ok. Well I thought I'd been feeling ok, you know flat, hating life, not feeling anything, getting through the day, only occasionally telling my husband that I hate him.. a few bouts of anger, but no tears.. the past 3 days there have been lots of tear, I'm feeling so overwhelmed again, the tears are overwhelming, inbetween tears, I dream about sleeping for a very long time, I worry that this is ruining my kids life, that they will always remember this, I've had enough of feeling this way. I don't know how I can keep going.. I'm scared to reinstate, even a little, after reading the stories where it made people worse, I'm so worried that my life won't come back from this, so what's the point?

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how many examples you found where reinstatement made people worse... 

Some people get negative reactions especially if they go back to a full dose after a longer period off. I know of lot more examples were people were saved of long and horrible suffering by reinstating a small amount of drug, myself included.

Unfortunately these symptoms get worse, a lot worse before they start getting better and this can last for years. Very few people can cope with that so they end up on more drugs with new diagnoses and still feel very unwell. I know this all sounds scary but I have to tell it like it is especially to urge you to study the links we provided to make an informed decision.

I was once in a similar situation: stopped what I thought was very little 2.5 mg. I was struggling like you but thought if I just last a little longer things will start getting better. My husband googled withdrawal and read to me that abrupt or too fast discontinuation is like throwing your brain off the cliff. It did little to persuade me. Two weeks later I didn't recognise myself, I felt like jumping my skin. I took the full dose of my drug not knowing better but I stopped getting worse, managed to go to work and after a few months started feeling human again. Now I'm tapering slowly so that I can keep my job and live my life.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Please don't judge me, I'm scared, that's all 

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

On 26/06/2017 at 2:45 AM, scallywag said:

LFrainbows - are you open to the idea of reinstating a very small dose of Zoloft? That is the only known treatment for withdrawal symptoms.  Altostrata posted a link that explains reinstating. I'll repost it: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

When we say a small dose, we mean much much smaller than your last dose (25 or 50 mg?) -- probably less than 2 mg. Please read the first post.

If you would like to reinstate, please post that intention here in your introduction topic as well as any questions you have about it.

A doctor may dismiss the idea of such a low dose. If you get that kind of response, just ask "What's the harm of trying? Are there significant risks? I thought side effects increased with dose, so taking a lower dose should be safer, right?"

Many doctors are poorly informed about discontinuation syndrome.  They rely on the manufacturer's studies, which are carefully engineered to make it look as if a few weeks taper yields only mild symptoms for a short time.  Sadly, people like you, me, and other members of this site pay the price for this fraudulent propaganda. 

Scallywag, I may have to reinstate something, one minute I feel a window and think it's going to be ok, then bam.. I don't have any family support, I live in another country and this isn't something to discuss on the phone.. and forget me, I worry that this will stay with my kids forever, as my mothers suicidal attempts has me.

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm really sorry if you felt like I was judging you. I know very well how you feel because I have been there myself.

We can't make the decision for you, just give you as much information as we can (and as much as you can take).

Reinstating is not a failure. It's just a smart move to not let these drugs harm as any further. The amount we suggest to start with is so small it can't harm you.

If you decide to reinstate we suggest taking only 1 mg to test waters. All you need is a syringe and a small jar with a lid. I put my pill in the equivalent amount of water to the miligrams of the pill. For instance 50 ml of water for 50 mg pill. You wait for the pill to disintegrate, stir the suspension and take 1 ml with the syringe to get the equivalent of 1 mg of drug. That's the easiest way.

More info on the links above. When I first got here that was the scariest thing and I didn't think I would be able to do it. But 4 years later it works like a charm.

We are here for any additional questions. There are a lot of people in a very similar situation on the board right now. You will make it.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

15 hours ago, lookingforrainbows said:

Please don't judge me, I'm scared, that's all 

I know exactly how you feel.  I am almost for months off from meds and it has been an extremely scary ride.  When I was in the hospital I was reinstated at a ridiculously high dose 150mg ( I was only on 75mg before) and the reinstatement was 7 months out.  I did feel better immediately, but then I ended up with serotonin syndrome. So I had to come off again cold turkey.  

The moderators are are talking about a extremely small amount to stabilize your system.  It's an amount that a doctor would laugh at and consider ineffective, but it's possibly enough to save you a lot of heartache.  You maybe able to start at .5mg and slowly work your way up to the moderators recommendation.

It's a terrifying decision to make, but I've read about so many people getting their lives back after reinstatement.  I wish I had the same opportunity, but I just have to ride this out.  

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need support.  I'm a mother of a 5 and 3 yr old with no familial support (other than my husband).  It's a tough place to be.

Hugs

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to lookingforrainbows: 3 months of Zoloft withdrawal hell - can't take much more

So I've been in school holidays for 2 weeks.. it's been painful.. I've counted back, I get 3 days of average, I can do this days and then the wave.. the all encompassing wave, starting with anger and irritability and then an overwhelming sense of fear and hopelessness and tears, the tears.just.dont.stop.falling.. the wave is hard beyond words, I know I'm in the right place to tell this, I'm getting comfort from everyone else's stories, but when there's a wave, how do you all manage? I'm taking so much out on my husband, I want to leave him in those waves, he disappoints me, he can't make me happy, poor guy.. to try to stop the tears and the pain I've taken to biting my lip, in the car on Tuesday and Friday I stabbed my scalp with my nail, and I imagined th sensation of stabbing my leg with a knife to change the focus of the pain.. it's beyond scary and then the wave passes and the flat heavy feeling begins, the no joy feeling and then another window and I forget some of the wave and am embarrassed for the outburst.. I think I am ready

to reinstate, but have no idea where to begin,

i also go back to school on Monday and am not sure about the timing, just in case.. should I wait a week? I'm 4 months and counting now ;(

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

Are you able to talk to a therapist who does cognitive behavioural therapy. That might help. If you can't afford it buy some books on the topic and do the exercises on them. Feeling Good by David burns is one book you could get. 

Dont worry now abour about something that might or might not happen, ie ramifications of your current state on kids. Most important thing for kids is to feel loved and accepted by parents, do tell them you love them, hug them a lot. They will overlook a great deal if they feel you love them imo.  

When they are adults if you feel you must tell them about this and explain do so then. You might find you've worried for nothing as it might not affect them st all. For now live day by day. Don't worry about future. 

As fir husband lower expectations of the support he can give you. Show him you love him and that he's special to you. There are ups and down years in marriages. Just take it for what it is now and don't be negative with him. When you feel better you will be closer. He might understand one day what you went through or not . If he doesn't totally that is fine as only someone who has gone through truly does. It doesn't matter if he doesn't. Lean on people here for now. 

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• 1 month later...

It's been a month since my last visit. So I am now 5 months into the depths of hell. It hasn't all been hell, I fact I think I had a whole 10 days of no tears. Then I got sick, I've had sinusitis waking me every night for weeks, so I've had 2 courses of augmentim antibiotic and then have been taking prednisone.. suddenly my life has become a spiralling mess.. where I used to keep sucidal thoughts to myself, I'm openly telling my husband I want to die, I have felt so exhausted with the mental pain that Icant imagine living like this for months longer. My anger outbursts are worse, on the weekend I began beating my husband with my fists, screaming that I hated him, and when he true to stop me I melted into a pool of exhaustion, I have screamed at my children, wept uncontrollably and just don't want to be this person anymore. Tonight I read a thread that maybe it's the prednisone reacting to my current withdrawal? Perhaps I should stop it? God, enough please! I have so much self hatred

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Mentor

Hi looking,

I posted on my thread about the Predisone but then I decided to drop by your thread.  I'm glad I did. It appears you are really hurting. I am so very sorry you are suffering so. I know your suffering.  I went off the Zoloft cold turkey and was a mess,  I did reinstate.  Sadly the doctor had me reinstate at too high a dose, but in spite of that, over all it did help. I'm now on a slow taper. If there was anything I could do to help you feel better, I would do it.  I'm going to be following your posts from now on.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Thanks RS, I'm having a bad week, but I'm sure a window will be near, she says after spending the past hour trying to convince my husband that he's better off without me, gah, the words and the tears spew out and I want to stop it. Thanks so much for your kind words, I hope your hiccup with the prednisone fixes itself. I have booked an apt with my dr, I'm so scared though that she will diagnose the wrong thing, I'm keen to re-taper but don't want the same issue that you had. I was thinking of asking for some counselling too? 

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Mentor

Counseling can be very helpful. You mentioned being concerned that your doctor may diagnose you incorrectly. Before all of this I trusted doctors. Now I am always fearful that they will not help.  Sad, isn't it?  I hope your Predisone issues resolve quickly as well.

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Today I am in a black hole of despair, this wave is not ending, I don't know if it's because I took the prednisone, I stopped it a couple of days ago, but my anger and self loathing are becoming major events, I've been pulling my hair out and hitting myself in the head to stop the pain of the despair. These huge waves come at times when I don't see them coming, I'm constantly exhausted and feel like I am carrying a ton of bricks on my shoulders. My children are reacting, my 9yo has his own anger issues and told my husband to die today. Because of my warped view of the world around me at the moment I can't cope with the slightest thing, my reaction was to curl in a ball and cry, I feel like I am breaking my family, we are broken, I want it to all go away, please no more

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Mentor

Looking,

I woke up just now, it's the middle of the night and for some reason I went on the computer.  I read you post. You are in so much pain that it breaks my heart.  I am so so very sorry.  Are you still on the predisone?  Did you decide to get that counseling?  Please consider the counseling. It might not help with some of the symptoms of the withdrawal, but it might help with other feelings and offer you some measure of support.  i hate to see you so hurt, so broken right now.  You will recover however I'm sure you are going through hell right now. Please please please hang in there. Tell me know how can I better support you. Know that we all care about you.

xo

RS

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

RS, thanks for replying and letting me know that someone is there.. I've booked in to see my Dr but can't get in until Saturday, the weekends are my respite from a toxic job, but they are beginning to be my release days,  which is hard as I feel no calm, I spend all week crying in the mornings before work and then putting on   game face all day and it's been this cycle for the past week and then the weekend comes and I break, now, I'm in Australia and it's Sunday night and I feel sick that the week begins again. I stopped the prednisone, even though I think I still need it, so my nose is still painful but I would rather that over the pain in my head, I've also been unwell with gastro too, it's winter here and it's been a long winter full of sickness, I'm hoping that spring will bring some light, all I feel is darkness right now, thanks for thinking of me, it means so much to be able to share x

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

Oh gosh, I just read about prednisone withdrawal. I was on 25mg for 5 days and when I saw your post I stopped taking then 2 days into the 1/2 dose taper, I was supposed to take 1/2 for 3 more days and then 1/4 for 5 more days, I'm wondering if I should recommence? I'm so confused, am I having withdrawal from pred or Zoloft? I saw a diff dr for the pred, as they are a walk in medical centre and so she doesn't know my Zoloft history 

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Mentor

I don't know which is affecting you, the Zoloft or the Predisone, or perhaps both together? Withdrawals from both can be very difficult.  I am wondering if going off the Predisone is what is making you feel so much worse???  What are your thoughts on this?

Here are three suggestions. 1. Can you call your doctor on Monday and tell him or her that you stopped taking the Predisone and ask for advice? Is your doctor willing to talk to you by phone? I hate to think of you waiting until next Saturday with this. 2. Consider seeing a counselor.  Do you have enough energy to look into that for yourself, or is there someone who can help you with that? 3. Re-read your entire thread. I just re-read your thread and I see the moderators made some suggestions.  Do you feel up to re-reading your thread? Will you consider what they are suggesting? I know you are hurting right now and perhaps my suggestions may feel overwhelming???? See what you can do, even little baby steps are good.

Does your husband know how bad you feel?  Can you share with him?

I'm very concerned about you.

xo

RS

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

RS, i think it's the combination, but I've never felt this low, I will ask to see a counsellor and I would def consider the advice on my thread, I tried to ask for advice from a moderator but I don't think they saw my post as no one replied. I'm so tired. Did you start to feel better?

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

I've been off Zoloft since late April, I've been having crazy withdrawals, as stated in my introduction thread, but recently with the addition of prednisone withdrawal (possibly) I am becoming quite scared of the self hatred and anger I am feeling, a huge wave that i haven't experienced to this level. I need respite or I feel I will self harm. I am also struggling to function in everyday life. Can someone please advise on how I can reinstate? I was on 100mg Zoloft for 7 years. I hate to go back on, but cannot go on like this. I have an appt booked in with my dr on Saturday, but don't know if I can wait that long. 

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Mentor

Hi Looking,

Both Bubble and Scallwag are moderators and have weighed in on your posts. Is it possible for you to send them a private massage and ask them to look at your posts?  They do care, however they are volunteers dealing with their own issues of withdrawal and have way to many people here to pay attention to. But if you send them a private message it may help to get you more attention.

If you think you might self harm then I beg you to let someone know. A real person, not someone on the internet.   Does your husband know? Can you call your doctor and let them know? I know when someone gets low it takes are sorts of energy they don't have to do any little thing and here I am asking you to do a few things.  I know it's hard. You are the mother of two beautiful children that need you. So please please please please let someone know that you are close to self harm.  Let me know you have let at least one other person know that . I care about you and I am worried about you.

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

I don't want to worry anyone, I'm ok, my husband knows, and sits with me whenI have these moments, I'm grateful for my children and this is wha5 I think about when I'm having an episode. If you saw me tomorrow you would have no idea that this is what I'm going through, I hold it together fairly well, the people I work with just think I'm emotional and a bit grumpy, I put on a game face and do what I need to do, but I'm not feeling as strong during this wave as it's been a long one, with no respite, I will ride this wave, but I'm tired and don't want to keep battling on, I want to be myself again otherwise what's the point.  I've posted another thread, and good idea, a PM might be another idea. I'm willing to give it a go with re-instating, I just want to do it properly.   Thanks so much for caring xx

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LFR,

Before we can offer any suggestions regarding reinstatement we need to know your drug history.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
On 26/06/2017 at 2:45 AM, scallywag said:

Altostrata posted a link that explains reinstating. I'll repost it: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

If you haven't already read Post #1 of the Reinstatement topic please read it carefully.  If you have already read it, I suggest you read it again before reinstating.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

On 08/07/2017 at 10:01 AM, TryingToHoldOn said:

I know exactly how you feel.  I am almost for months off from meds and it has been an extremely scary ride.  When I was in the hospital I was reinstated at a ridiculously high dose 150mg ( I was only on 75mg before) and the reinstatement was 7 months out.  I did feel better immediately, but then I ended up with serotonin syndrome. So I had to come off again cold turkey.  

The moderators are are talking about a extremely small amount to stabilize your system.  It's an amount that a doctor would laugh at and consider ineffective, but it's possibly enough to save you a lot of heartache.  You maybe able to start at .5mg and slowly work your way up to the moderators recommendation.

It's a terrifying decision to make, but I've read about so many people getting their lives back after reinstatement.  I wish I had the same opportunity, but I just have to ride this out.  

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need support.  I'm a mother of a 5 and 3 yr old with no familial support (other than my husband).  It's a tough place to be.

Hugs

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

22 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

If you haven't already read Post #1 of the Reinstatement topic please read it carefully.  If you have already read it, I suggest you read it again before reinstating.

ChessieCat, do you mean because it might not work? 

75mg to 50mg week 2

50 down to 25mg week 3

25 down to zero week 4

• Moderator Emeritus

So that you have the knowledge to make an informed decision and also understand the reasons why a very small dose is suggested.

The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of all withdrawal symptoms, it is to try and bring your symptoms to a bearable level.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that reinstatement will work.  And nobody knows what might happen.  However, from the information that has been gathered, generally the longer you leave it to reinstate the less chance there is that it may work.

Something that you may want to consider when making your decision is that if you don't reinstate and things don't improve and you go to the doctor about your withdrawal symptoms you are most likely to end up on a psychiatric drug.  A doctor might put you on the same drug, but at a much higher dose than we suggest here, or might put you onto a different drug, in which case you could end up with withdrawal from the old drug and start up/side effects from the new drug.  If this happens and you have issues you won't be able to work out what is causing what.  If that happened then the doctor may then add it an additional drug.

I can understand that this is a difficult decision for you to make and I am trying to give you as much information as possible to help you can make that decision.

When we take an AD, the drug changes our brain.  It is a physiological dependence, not a physical dependence (eg like craving nicotine or caffeine).  If we take the drug away too quickly then the brain tries to regain homeostatis which is why we get withdrawal symptoms.

My own personal experience was that I tried to reduce my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg.  I suffered very bad brain fog for 3 weeks and at the end of the 3 weeks I was unable to type.  Because I am a professional typist of 40+ years with high speed and accuracy I knew that something wasn't right.  I followed the suggestion of the mods here and updosed and within 4 hours of taking extra Pristiq the brain fog was clearing and I was able to type again.  Because I had a benchmark I knew it wasn't a placebo effect.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's also important to understand that it takes about 4 days for the drug to get to a steady state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Unless you have a bad reaction, when you would stop immediately, it is a good idea to deep daily notes on paper of your symptoms, what improves, or worsens, so that you can see if the reinstatement is working.

After about 1 week, if you aren't experiencing any relief from your symptoms please let us know so that we can reassess and we might suggest increasing your dose by a very, very small amount.

EDIT:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Edited by ChessieCat