Isabella: Wants to taper generic Paxil, 10mg - started taking on 5/1/17

Isabella

Hi all,  

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm a new user and new to SSRIs. I just start Paroxetine on 5/1/17 as part of treatment for PMDD, which has been exacerbated post-partum. My daughter is 16 months and I felt very strongly that it was time to deal with the returning depression that I have had and ignored for 10 years. Being pregnant was the best mood stabilizer I had experienced in a long time and it taught me that I could feel better and be a better version of myself. But now I've started Dr. Kelly Brogan's book "Mind of Our Own" and though I knew that I never wanted to be on an SSRI permanently, I want to begin tapering ASAP. I haven't been on this medication too long and I am so hoping that this makes tapering—albeit slowly—consequence free.  

Advice, recommendations, etc. are welcome. 

Isabella

Started on Paroxetine, 10mg on May 1, 2017. Started taper, 9mg on June 22, 2017. Now at 8mg as of July 2, 2017.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Isabella: Wants to taper generic Paxil, 10mg - started taking on 5/1/17
  • Moderator Emeritus

Isabella -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

It's great that you're gathering information about getting yourself OFF paroxetine (Paxil) before you start reducing the dose or discontinuing. Many doctors do not understand that some people, if not most, need to taper much more slowly than is usually suggested.

Our brain and the rest of our CNS (central nervous system) adapt very quickly to these medications. Some people have difficulty discontinuing after only 3 weeks, sadly.  Withdrawal or discontinuation symptoms can be severe and can last a very long time.  Time on a medication *appears* to have a relationship with the intensity and duration of symptoms.  Unfortunately short-term exposure is not a guarantee of an easy taper.

To minimize the risk of symptoms, we suggest that people taper by reducing their dose by no more than 10% and make such decreases no more often than 1/month. Please read:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?. -- if you're pressed for time, read the first post; it is the most important one.

Also relevant for you: Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

What part of Dr. Brogan's recommendations have you been following?

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Edited by scallywag
too many instances of "unfortunately", unfortunately :D

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 4 weeks later...

Isabella Wecome

SW gave you some great info. and insight .

Any update.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi, I've added my signature, hopefully it works now. 

I've never been part of a community in which someone has checked up on my personal progress. That is pretty cool, thank you NZ11. 

I've tapered down from 10mg to 8mg. I did this a little faster than Scallywag recommended but have found no changes in mood or sleep or appetite. I'm still working on my consistency though, I sometimes forget to setup my oral suspension and then have to rush to crush the remainder of the pill which hasn't dissolved or like last night, I just totally forgot to setup the oral suspension during the day so I didn't take it before bed and then I forgot to take it until late morning. I know consistency is key, so this is not great habit-formation. I do feel ok though overall. The slow, conservative approach to getting off of medication is comforting and stabilizing for me. I know I am doing what's best for my body and mind. I'm also improving my diet and extending self care to other parts of my life. I got a massage for the first time from a professional massage therapist after a year of neck and back pain. These actions increase self awareness and help me incorporate reflection into my life in a way that will help me notice any changes as part of tapering and prevent relapse into medication again. I hope at least. 

I'm reading Dr. Brogan's book slowly, so I'm not just following her recommendations whole. The chapter on tapering is at the end of the book, so I haven't even gotten to her tapering suggestions, I'm just following the recs here. I am making improvements to my diet, she also recommends removing endocrine disruptors in your household (mostly cleaning and food storage and beauty/body products), which I have started doing and will continue to move towards. 

I think the biggest thing I need to work on is the consistency of dosage, forming good habits so that by the time I've cut my dosage in half I take it around the same time and with the same amount every day. 

Does this raise any red flags in your experience, NZ11? 

Thanks, 

Isabella

Started on Paroxetine, 10mg on May 1, 2017. Started taper, 9mg on June 22, 2017. Now at 8mg as of July 2, 2017.

Oh, and I will add in response to Scallywag's question, I have never been on any pysch meds before only a prescription multivitamin and (a long, long time ago) birth control. 

Sounds like you got it sorted Isabella.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi all, I think I just felt my first brain zap. Not painful, but different than a brain freeze from eating something cold. I only had one and it's the first time, do I need to change anything about my taper as a result? I messed up last night as I've mentioned I have issues with.... forgot to do my suspension and had to approximate my dosage with shaving down the tablet. I do that with a nail file and then take the tablet. Argh, not sure what the best next step is with this.... just keep going at 8mg? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Just keep going at your planned taper dose.  You may have a few symptoms come up because of the day you took paroxetine as a shaved tablet; you may not. If you do, be patient -- those symptoms will pass.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...

How you doing Isabella any update?

What do you think of the survey?

Recovering paxil addict